PDA

View Full Version : Your First Reds Game

SWIndRed
01-27-2013, 01:18 PM
What was the first Reds game you attended? What do you remember about it?

I was very fortunate as my first game was the last game at Crosley Field. I was just 9 years old at the time, but I'll never forget the Reds hitting back to back home runs in the 8th inning to defeat the Giants. Following the win, I got to witness the helicopter flying in to take home plate over to that new stadium, Riverfront.

Two families packed into an old red station wagon to make the 3 hour trip from SW Indiana for my first big league game...what a great memory.

goreds2
01-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Here is a similar thread.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99388

WDE
01-28-2013, 01:30 AM
I didn't participate in the old thread so I'll do it here. My first Reds game was actually in '06 against the Nationals in Washington. We lost the game(like we always did during that time), but it was still an awesome experience.

bounty37h
01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Aug 1983-my parents drove the family from NC to Pittsburgh to see Johnny Bench for my birthday-he was my favorite player. I recall being amazed a teh size of the stadium, as it was my first big league experience, having only gone to Durham Bulls games before that. I think (never looked into it to confirm) that Bench hit his last road homer that game.

Ironman92
01-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Thank God for baseball reference

It was May 1 1982.....I was 7 and at Riverfront just a few rows from the top with the Cub Scouts. My biggest memory was beating St Louis 10-1. That is odd because the Reds were the worst team losing 101 games and the Cardinals won the WS. Soto pitched the complete game. Jim Kaat (who began pitching in 1959) was the loser. Driessen, Cedeno and Concepcion carried the offense.

And I got lost and the security officer had to help me find my group.

cinredsfan2000
01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
June 18 1977 Olympic Stadium (Montreal)
Tom Seaver's 2nd start as a RED I don't remember much about the game. I was 9 at the time other than seaver pitching and just missing a Pete Rose Batting practice home run .

JB12
01-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I went to so many as a child, I can't remember exactly (which is kind of sad).

As a late 80's/early 90's child, I do remember the bright sectioned seating and the astroturf of Cinergy Field. I remember walking through the dim lit corridors and seeing the green turf. I don't remember many wins, but I can't complain. A day (or night) and the ballpark, is better than a day at home.

bleedsred
01-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Not sure of the date, early 80's with the Ryan Express playing for the Astros pitching against my Reds. After Nolan warmed up he signed some autographs but declined to sign my Reds hat.....lol. Thinking back it seems unusual that a starting pitcher would sign before he took the mound, ESP a competitor like Ryan. He did shake my hand though....I was 7 or 8.....

alwaysawarrior
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm going to try to find out when the date of mine was. Paul O'Neill either hit a homerun in the 9th to win it. Would have been somewhere between 90-92 I will have to get with my old man and see if he remembers. Its cool now that the Reds give first game certificates to the little ones.

Red Raindog
01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
August 17, 1963

I was 11 years old and it was a late birthday present.

Beat the Cubs 2-1

I was happy and even more so because my parents were Cub fans

Saw my favorite player - Vada Pinson & some guy named Rose

Nuxie got a save!

I kept the scorecard for a long time -- until my mother cleaned out my room when I left for college.

The stadium was not even close to filled so we got to move to better seats than what my parents had purchased.

No autographs though.

smixsell
01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Tom Seaver's 2nd start as a RED I don't remember much about the game. I was 9 at the time other than seaver pitching and just missing a Pete Rose Batting practice home run .

Interesting. My first Reds game (excluding Spring Training) was also 1977 in Montreal. I think my game was in August though. I was 13 at the time.

I remember HATING that Tony Perez was wearing an Expo jersey instead of a Reds jersey (one of the dumbest moves the Reds ever made IMO, trading doggie).

I also remember that there was a very loud and obnoxious woman "fan," who was talking loud and paying no attention to the game and generally annoying everyone within earshot (about 100 yards!), and she got absolutely DRILLED in the chest with a foul line drive because she wasn't even watching the game. Her beer went flying up in the air. Although I was sorry she got hit so hard, I couldn't help thinking that it was a bit interesting that the ball picked her to hit.

Anyway the Reds lost, but we followed the team to Philly and stayed in the same hotel as the Reds and got to have breakfast with Sparky Anderson and Pedro Borbon in the Philadephia Hilton diner 2 days later. :beerme:

bigfunguy
01-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Reds 5-Giants 3, April of '82...a fun thing to do, especially for those of us where it was LONG ago--google "old boxscores" and find your game...

goreds2
01-28-2013, 07:39 PM

I am fairly certain that was Tom's Seaver's first game as a Red. What a gem he pitched. I remember watching it on TV. One of my all-time favorite Reds. His poster is framed in my house.

http://outstandingcollectibles.com/images/seav.jpg

From the Reds Hall of Fame website:

"Veteran Reds fans remember well the day Tom Seaver came to Cincinnati. On June 15, 1977, hours before the trade deadline, the Reds sent pitcher Pat Zachry, infielder Doug Flynn and minor league outfielders Dan Norman and Steve Henderson to the New York Mets for Seaver, arguably the game's best pitcher. It was incredible."

Helms1
01-28-2013, 08:09 PM
I was 16, 1973, late June, down by the river on a warm summer night in the back seat of my 69 Chevelle. The balls were flying out and a home run was approaching, uh, wait, do I have this right?

Funny thing is I saw the Reds in Montreal in the summer of 1977, June. Who'd of thunk it.

Mr Larkin
01-28-2013, 08:24 PM
April 27, 1990 at Riverfront. I live in Virginia and had been a life long fan but never gone to a game until I traveled with my college team to a tourney in Georgetown, Kentucky. The game was rained out and rescheduled and we had a free evening and our coach took us to Cincy to see the Reds. It was beyond thrilling. Reds won in the bottom of the 9th. It was Zane Smith v. Tom Browning and it was done in less than two and a half hours.
My love for the Reds only grew after that first live experience.

Moosie52
01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
My Dad took us to Riverfront to see the Reds and Cubs in the early 70's. We sat in the next to top row on the third base line. Those seats were way up there, and the pitch was scary steep. The third baseman looked like a little dot on the green carpet. Don Gullett pitched for the Reds, and I'm not sure who started for the Cubbies, but it was an amazing game, 1-0. It was probably a Saturday night. Wish I could remember who won.

90reds
01-28-2013, 09:19 PM
I couldn't tell you the exact date, but it was sometime in Fall 1996 against the Padres. Baseball Reference says the series took place from August 13-15, which would make sense since we moved to Cincy that August. We had just moved from Baltimore, where Camden Yards was just a couple years old and Cal Ripken was still God, so we were pleasantly surprised when we could take a break from unpacking and get affordable seats for the whole family minutes before game time! I also remember it was free lunch box day

XU Lou
01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
My first game was in April of 1970, 9 years old at the time. It was against the SF Giants. Our seats at Crosley were along the first base line, right behind the coach's box, in the second or third row.

I vividly remember a pop foul caught by Willie McCovey over the head of another kid in the first row. He was the biggest man I had ever seen in my life up to that point! Or so it seemed to me.

I also remember the pitcher who held the Giants to one hit that day, Wayne Simpson. Always makes me sad when I think of him and what a talent he was for such a short period of time.

New York Red
01-29-2013, 01:31 PM
I participated in the older thread, but will again, briefly. My first game was either 1968 or 1969. It was at Crosley Field against the Giants. That's all I remember, and I only know that much because I always remembered my dad telling me at the time, "That's Willie Mays right there, son". I never forgot him saying that.

Some of you guys have incredible memories, to be able to recall dates and scores of your first game so many years later. I realize baseball-reference is a huge help, but how do you know the date to look up? Did you keep ticket stubs, game programs and/or scorecards? I'd give almost anything to have some kind of souvenir from my first game, but unfortunately I don't.

tomnuetten
02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
first reds game was 2006 (in fact I never saw a complete baseball game before), on september 13 against the padres...
That was my first time I went to the US and visited my family in Cincinnati (and Dayton). They took me to the ballgame (it was a Hot dog for 1 $ day) and it was amazing...

My english was worse than today (yes, today my english is bad, but 2006 I had problems to understand anything..) and I didnīt know the rules of baseball, so it was hard to understand the game... The Reds lost 10-0 :thumbdown: But after my trip I started to watch ball games, tried to learn the rules and started to fall in love with baseball (and the reds)

My second trip to the US was in 2011 with my girlfriend and I planned the trip that I can see the Reds play at Citifield while we were in New York. The Reds won (9.27.2011) 6-5 ..

and "now" I stay awake at night to see the Reds play (every 7pm ET game is in Germany at 1 am...)

OneEyedJack
02-01-2013, 02:17 PM
I went to a lot of games when I was very young.... including a lot of the 1976 games in utero (thanks Mom)!

The first game I remember well is 8/29/85. Rose was close to breaking the record and he got a hit that night. The place was electric.

mth123
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
1965 DH against the Mets. I was in the bleachers at Crosley Field with my dad and brothers. Art Shamsky homered. I really didn't understand much for a couple more years though.

Captain13
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I was six-years old and had just moved into the heart of Reds Country, Fairfield, OH from Fort Wayne, IN in August. Dad took me to see Jerry Reuss and the Dodgers take on Mario Soto and the Reds on Friday, Sept 11. I don't remember a lot of the details, but I remember seeing some of the BRM (Bench, Concepcion, Griffey and Foster were all starters), and how can a kid forget a walkoff (before we used that term) HR in his first Reds game? Thank you, Ron Oester. I was probably your biggest fan for the next 10 years.

That ride home up I-75 and Route 4 listening to Marty and Joe describe what I had already seen was one of the coolest things ever.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198109110.shtml

cumberlandreds
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Here's mine in the link. August 21, 1971. Myself,my dad and my oldest brother went. Maybe my other brother did too. I don't remember now. I was eight. We sat in the yellow seats down the 1st base line. The first time I saw the field I remember thinking how green it was. Of couse it was plastic but it looked real to me. Plenty of HOF players in that game. Mazeroski and Stargell for the Pirates. I don't know why Clemente didn't play. But I did get to see him play the next season when we made our annual trek to watch a game. Bench,Rose and Perez were the HOFer's with the Reds. (I know Rose isn't in the HOF) At that time Bench was my favorite player. So it thrilled me to no end when he hit a HR. A little known player at that time,George Foster,had the key hit,a triple,that was the eventual game winner. Also Jim Merritt won his only game that season in relief.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1971/B08210CIN1971.htm

redsmetz
02-01-2013, 09:06 PM
[QOTE=SWIndRed;2799036]What was the first Reds game you attended? What do you remember about it?

I was very fortunate as my first game was the last game at Crosley Field. I was just 9 years old at the time, but I'll never forget the Reds hitting back to back home runs in the 8th inning to defeat the Giants. Following the win, I got to witness the helicopter flying in to take home plate over to that new stadium, Riverfront.

Two families packed into an old red station wagon to make the 3 hour trip from SW Indiana for my first big league game...what a great memory.[/QUOTE]

I was at that game, although it wasn't my first. I remember the sky looking threatening and it darkening, but knew it become night. Funny. I would have been 15.

My 1st game game was a few years earlier. A kid on the other end of our street took my next younger brother and I with him & his dad. We were dropping baseball cards down on folks below & we got yelled at by the usher.

We also went to games with a priest who taught my dad in high school who was related to the Joseph Automotive family - box seats at Crosley. Very, very nice. Would have been around 1966 or so.

Red Raindog
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
I participated in the older thread, but will again, briefly. My first game was either 1968 or 1969. It was at Crosley Field against the Giants. That's all I remember, and I only know that much because I always remembered my dad telling me at the time, "That's Willie Mays right there, son". I never forgot him saying that.

Some of you guys have incredible memories, to be able to recall dates and scores of your first game so many years later. I realize baseball-reference is a huge help, but how do you know the date to look up? Did you keep ticket stubs, game programs and/or scorecards? I'd give almost anything to have some kind of souvenir from my first game, but unfortunately I don't.

I had to look up the date thru boxscores but I knew the teams - the score & the month & year

If mom had kept my scorecard after I left for college ---- or my baseball cards -- or my comic books -- or my slot cars -- or my -- well you get the idea

Beatlessp
02-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I can't remember if it was '86 or '87...I had just started getting into baseball. only a few things I remember: Played the Astros; there was a pretty long rain delay (my brother and I were both pretty young, i was 6/7 he was 10/11) and we left early. I remember they replayed the video of Rose breaking the record, but I had no idea what was going on. I remember Dad listening to the end of the game on the radio at the hotel, but I can't remember who won. Second trip to Riverfront was more memorable...I was older, it was 1991, and we were at the Phillies game that Lenny Dykstra ran into the outfield wall and broke his collarbone..heard it snap from the second tier third base seats we were in.

DGullett35
02-02-2013, 04:53 PM
The early 90's. I was 4 or 5 years old. It was the Ohio Cup and it was played in Columbus. I do remember the Reds getting beat. They use to play those games right before the regular season started.

Josh
02-04-2013, 11:22 AM
May 28 2010 Sam LeCures first start against the Astros and had an Astros fan in front of us all decked out in the retro gear. He was not cheering for long though we spanked them 15-6. And to make the day better BP hit a HR the first inning and we was setting in the lucky row of the game so we won free pizza lol.

Captain13
02-04-2013, 12:12 PM

I knew we played the Dodgers. I knew I moved to the area in August of '81. I looked up boxscores and I knew I saw an extra inning game where Oester hit the walkoff (Dad had said "if the Reds don't score in the 10th we are going home"). So when found that boxscore, I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 1, Game 1 of many.

dkamberi25
02-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Not being from the area I didn't have much chances to go to games untill I was older and had the means to not only get tickets, but have the extra money needed for a road trip. So the game I went to was back in the 2007 season in late May against the Pirates. We had Harang on the mound and our seats were in LF. I wanted to sit out their because Dunn was my favorite Red than and I wanted to be closest to his area. This was before I was apart of any Reds message boards and was suprised at the amount of taunting Reds fans had towards Dunn. Bought my first Reds jersey that day (white Griffey) and unfortunatly we lost the game.

P.E.R#14
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I will never forget my first Reds game. It was September 17th 1983. I was just shy of five years old and it was Goodbye Johnny night at Riverfront Stadium. We were fortunate enough to be sitting about 15 rows behind the opponents batting circle in the blue seats. Now I couldn't tell you (from memory) if it was the first or ninth inning, but the crowd began to cheer as Johnny Bench stepped up to the plate. My Dad stood me up on his lap and as the pitcher went into his windup, I yelled "Hit a home run Johnny," and he did. Now, obviously he didn't hit the home run for me, hear my exclamation, or probably even care that I was in the ballpark that day, but at that moment in time, Johnny Bench made the life of a four year old boy.

I still get teary-eyed at the memory. It was simply amazing, the joy I felt. Still to this day, I have the program framed and a framed "certificate of attendence" with my ticket stub taped to it and my name hand-written on it by my father.

God, I love the Reds!!!

JB12
02-07-2013, 04:45 PM
^^

Wow, what a memorable first game. I can't even imagine how amazing that must have been... and to have that memory for the rest of your life.

There's something about baseball that allows these memories/experiences to happen... I don't know what it is, but it sure is the greatest sport on earth!

64red
02-15-2013, 10:20 PM
August 26, 1972. I remember my first view of the field as we walked out of the tunnel. It was a complete sensory overload. We were in the red seats in left field, and I realized at an early age that television only gives you a small portion of the baseball experience. The game was a loss to Steve Carlton and the Phillies. I remember Tony Perez homered and Bench played right field. Yeah, I thought I was wrong about that too, but the boxscore confirms it. You never forget your first time. It just never lasts long enough.

POBR25
02-18-2013, 12:21 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199809130.shtml

First Reds game and Major League game

Captain13
02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199809130.shtml

First Reds game and Major League game

Yikes! :eek: Unless you are a D-Back fan, or know the Benes family that is a terrible first game. I am surprised you came back.

marcshoe
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
June 28, 1975 vs. San Diego. Reds won in extra innings on a George Foster home run. Gary Nolan started the game. Willie McCovey homered for the Padres. Johnny Bench won the pre-game cow milking contest. Seriously.

POBR25
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Yikes! :eek: Unless you are a D-Back fan, or know the Benes family that is a terrible first game. I am surprised you came back.

I was 8 years old, just loved baseball and didn't have a team to root for. After Casey broke up Benes' no-no my dad had to explain what happened becuase I didn't have clue. Thus, my Cincinnati Red fandom was born.

bamatank
02-19-2013, 03:02 PM
I was in Cincinnati visiting my relatives. This must have been in the late 60's. They were playing the Pirates and Tony Perez was filling in for Lee May and he hit a homerun over the scoreboard. The Reds won. My memory is a little fuzzy on all of this but i do remember the
homerun and the Reds winning. I remember thinking this guy is gonna be good.

Mastodon
02-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Sometime in 1990, late in the season I believe. I was only 4 and they played the Pirates. I remember my brother screaming his head off a couple times after they shot off fire works. Guess someone hit a home run for the Reds.

holster10
02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
J. Bench retirement night, september 1983?

Norm Chortleton
03-19-2013, 03:18 AM
My first game was April 7, 1974, a 5-3 loss to the Braves at Riverfront. I was 11 and our Little League team went. I didn't realize at the time that Hank Aaron could have hit 715 at any time. He went 0-3 that day, then broke Babe's record the next night in Atlanta.

The funny thing is that if Aaron had hit a HR that night, I would have been enraged. At that age, history didn't mean anything to me. It was all whether the Reds won or lost.

NebraskaRed
03-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Opening day 1980. Big 9-0 win against the Braves. Too bad I was 4 years old and don't remember being there at all.

Corked
03-29-2013, 12:49 PM
I went to my first game in 95 with my dad when I was 7. Sat in the nose bleed seats behind the plate. Don't remember much about the game. Though I will always remember a group of guys that got so drunk they were asked to leave.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

westofyou
03-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Kid Glove Game against the Tigers in 1976

Phoenix2
03-30-2013, 03:10 AM
1975. I will never forget walking through that tunnel and seeing the green field. Awe inspiring for a little kid and spending time with Dad. I miss him.

1thru5
03-31-2013, 11:07 PM
August 23, 1977- First MLB game. Reds lost to the Expos 4-2. The significance of this game though was the indelible impression made by the souvenirs at the game on an 8 year old experiencing their first exposure to the game of baseball. More specifically, the pennant which read 'World Champions'.
From that experience two love affairs were born- one for baseball and the other, for the 'World Champion' Cincinnati Reds.

Redleg74
04-01-2013, 07:50 AM
September 11 1985

Pete Rose gets 4192. I remember most of it but it was just so electric with crying, yelling, etc. A real moment in time for me.

OfficerRodFarva
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
September 11 1985

Pete Rose gets 4192. I remember most of it but it was just so electric with crying, yelling, etc. A real moment in time for me.

That was your FIRST game?
Wow

I was 4 years old at the time. I BARELY remember watching the hit happen on TV. It is one of my very first memories.

StRedlegs900
04-02-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm sad to say I cannot remember what my first game was, or how old I was at the time.

I do, however, remember walking into Riverfront stadium, peering down to the field and being in complete awe. The rest of my memories are kind of a blur, up until I was older.

mgbrown66
04-04-2013, 09:13 PM
I was lucky enough to live in Dayton during the days of the big red machine. I remember seeing a game in 75 or 76 against the Dodgers.

Most of my real memories were in the 77 and 78 seasons, especially the year Foster hit 50+. Those were magical times in southern ohio.

KC2135
04-05-2013, 01:26 AM
July, 7th 2003 at Minute Made. I met an older couple (very nice) who kept telling me that Dunn was the next big thing, which I played along to humor them. I let them know Griffey was my favorite player. They stayed quite as he went o-for.

Some guy was in the stands screaming at Griffey every at bat and in the field, the funny thing was he said he hated baseball, and was only there for free tickets. The older gentleman asked him to be quite, but he kept going. I eventually went and got security and he was asked to leave.

I have been to Minute Made many times, and everyone at the games seems to love to talk baseball no matter who you root for. I guess one bad see always ruins a group.

George Bland
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
June, 1972. My father-in-law was a buddy of Smokey Alston's and we went down to see the Dodgers with tickets from Alston. Smokey lived in Darrtown, a few miles from Oxford. What I remember most is that my hot-head f-i-l nearly got into a fight while exiting the stadium garage. Some guy pulled out in front of us and the wife's old man was out of the car with his fists up.