PDA

View Full Version : Rolen wants to play in 13'

Red Swagger
01-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Reds and Jocketty should absolutely being him back for 1 more year. Rolen makes this team and our bench better, plain and simple. Leadership and intangibles are off the chart, if healthy, he would help this team. Frazier is the starting 3B, no question about it. Rolen would be perfect to fill the Cairo type role this year, late game defense replacement, pinch hitter, spot starts at 3B, maybe even 1B. The players LOVE Scotty and want him back. The issues are the money, the 40 man is full, the roster is tight, so it should be interesting here soon. Ideally, Rolen would accept a minor league deal and show the Reds he can still play in ST, while showing he is healthy. But no doubt Rolen makes the 2013 Reds a better team, hopefully he comes back for 1 more year. The other issue is, J Donald has no options left, and the Reds would likely lose him to another team if we placed him on waivers, so I am sure the Reds would phantom DL someone in order to put Rolen on the 40 man.

[deleted]
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Never mind the money, I'm having trouble finding room for him.

Hannahan was just signed for 2MM. He'll make the team, barring injury. Donald is the only guy we've got who can cover SS. Does Paul have options? Even so, you'd then be carrying only one reserve OF and would be losing your only LH option off the bench.

I think Hannahan's deal was the nail in the coffin.

Mr Larkin
01-31-2013, 07:38 PM
;2800355']Never mind the money, I'm having trouble finding room for him.

Hannahan was just signed for 2MM. He'll make the team, barring injury. Donald is the only guy we've got who can cover SS. Does Paul have options? Even so, you'd then be carrying only one reserve OF and would be losing your only LH option off the bench.

I think Hannahan's deal was the nail in the coffin.

Agree. I don't think there is room for Rolen and don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Hope the guy has a blast in LA.

MBZags
01-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Rolen should be brought back as an instructor in spring training or as a special advisor, but it's time for the Reds to move on.

redsfan1995
01-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Rolen should be brought back as an instructor in spring training or as a special advisor, but it's time for the Reds to move on.

Frazier at this point is a way better option. I would not mind him being Fraziers back up though.

Beatlessp
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Article I read on MLBTR made it sound like it was pretty much down to money. I'd hate to send Paul down (but that would take him going through waivers...he ran out of options after last season), but he's not the only lefty on the bench, Hannahan bats left...and Todd could back up one or two outfield spots in a pinch....but I agree....the Rolen ship has sailed IMO

holster10
01-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Rolen fan but despite a mini-hot streak after the all-star break, he really looked finished last season. I think he should call it a career and don't see how much value he can bring to the Reds in 2013. You know, if Rolen does indeed come back the lineup is no longer "Dusty Proofed".

[deleted]
01-31-2013, 11:51 PM
but he's not the only lefty on the bench, Hannahan bats left...

My mistake, I don't know why I thought otherwise.

chuck6660
02-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Come on, really! The Reds sign Hannahan who posted similiar stats to Rolen last season and bats LH for $2M. I also believe Hannahan can play 2B if needed.
Rolen is one dimensional, was a great and still is a good fielding 3B, at age 38 probably rates the same as Hannahan at the plate. The question is how much $$$ will he ask for, and is it worth losing a LH from the bench, either Paul or Hannahan.

mth123
02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Question for you all. Say Votto, Bruce or Ludwick is lost for an extended period. What would you rather have in the 5 or 6 hole?

1. Rolen/Hannahan platooning at 3B with Frazier moving to the vacated spot?
2. Hesiey in CF and Choo moving to LF or RF (who plays 1B if Votto goes down?).
3. A Heisey/Paul platoon.

I think its a no brainer. Give me Rolen/Hannahan. Its the best insurance to cover for one of the key 3, 4, 5, or 6 hole hitters since the platoon would effectively back-up all four corner spots. The Reds can keep Paul around by wise use of the DL. Some one like Soto or Redmond can be jettisoned to make room on the 40 man. Better yet, peddle a guy like Masset for a PTBNL to make roster and payroll room while clearing a spot for Hoover in the pen.

mikemo14
02-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Unless Rolen has gotten ahold of some good "deer antler spray" that can return his shoulder and back back to the way it was in the early 2000's, I think it is time to let that ship sail. He was horrible last year with the exception of about a three week period.

joshua
02-01-2013, 02:19 AM
I don't trust Dusty to not play him 45+% of the time. Pass.

CySeymour
02-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Question for you all. Say Votto, Bruce or Ludwick is lost for an extended period. What would you rather have in the 5 or 6 hole?

I think its a no brainer. Give me Rolen/Hannahan. Its the best insurance to cover for one of the key 3, 4, 5, or 6 hole hitters since the platoon would effectively back-up all four corner spots. The Reds can keep Paul around by wise use of the DL. Some one like Soto or Redmond can be jettisoned to make room on the 40 man. Better yet, peddle a guy like Masset for a PTBNL to make roster and payroll room while clearing a spot for Hoover in the pen.

Why is it such a no-brainer?

mth123
02-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Why is it such a no-brainer?

Because Frazier can back up all 4 spots. Heisey could probably do OK in a platoon with Hananhan if one of the OF goes down (with Frazier in the OF against RHP and at 3B against LHP), but if its Votto or Frazier going down, it gives the RH PAs to Jason Donald.

With the addition of Choo, I'm not really seeing the value of Paul as much. He's not a good fit to back-up either Bruce or Choo since he hits LH. He's not much of a defender and I just don't see that he will add as much on the bench as Rolen will. If the Reds need a banch player against a RHP, I'd rather have Hannahan in there and move Frazier around. I don't dislike Paul, I just like Rolen a lot more. Donald is the back-up MI, seems like Paul has the least utility of anyone on the roster.

UPRedsFan
02-01-2013, 09:32 AM

My thoughts exactly. And this is still a young team. Having Rolen on the bench helps the clubhouse

swaisuc
02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I agree their are cases where we might wish we had him, but are we seriously considering carrying 3 3rd basemen? I think the roster constraints that would cause is reason enough to not bring him back. Bringing in Hannahan in the 1st place seems curious right now if they were still considering bringing Rolen back.

mth123
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
I agree their are cases where we might wish we had him, but are we seriously considering carrying 3 3rd basemen? I think the roster constraints that would cause is reason enough to not bring him back. Bringing in Hannahan in the 1st place seems curious right now if they were still considering bringing Rolen back.

So, what circumstance would carrying Paul be better than carrying Rolen? How many wins would it be worth? I can think of several scenarios where having Rolen would enhance the team's chance of winning. I really can't think of any where having Paul over Rolen would add any wins.

CySeymour
02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
So, what circumstance would carrying Paul be better than carrying Rolen? How many wins would it be worth? I can think of several scenarios where having Rolen would enhance the team's chance of winning. I really can't think of any where having Paul over Rolen would add any wins.

And that is probably what it would come down to, Rolen vs Paul. I suppose you could say Rolen vs Hannahan, but they did just sign Hannahan to a 2 year deal, which would indicate he's making the team. Plus throw in Frasier's ability to play all over the field, so he just isn't a 3rd sacker.

Goose
02-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Rolen hasn't been good the last 2.5 years. Father time has won that battle. He hasn't even fielded well and his range has really shrunk. He has also had costly errors or misplays in both of our playoff series.

malcontent
02-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Rolen hasn't been good the last 2.5 years. Father time has won that battle. He hasn't even fielded well and his range has really shrunk. He has also had costly errors or misplays in both of our playoff series.
Agreed.

JB12
02-01-2013, 03:58 PM
The BIGGEST concern for me is the money. Even if the front office is gung ho about bringing him back for `13, I don't see how they could justify the funds... granted, I don't know how much Rolen would take either.

BigPoppa
02-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Player-Coach?

(Pinch hitter/backup 1B/backup backup 3B - Hitting Coach)

Reassign Jacoby to....................something else?

membengal
02-02-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't trust Dusty to not play him 45+% of the time. Pass.

Don't know about this percentage, but my discomfort comes from not wanting Frazier looking over his shoulder and worries that Rolen's presence would lead to that - and Dusty using Rolen more than he should.

Still, probably worth that risk.

goreds2
02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
During a break on MLB Network, they just announced this.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/01/reds-gm-walt-jocketty-hopes-for-resolution-on-scott-rolen-as-soon-as-this-weekend/

Reds GM Walt Jocketty hopes for resolution on Scott Rolen as soon as this weekend:

We heard yesterday that veteran third baseman Scott Rolen was leaning toward returning for another season, but it’s not clear whether he’ll do so as a member of the Reds. We might not have to wait much longer to find out.

According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said today that Rolen’s status is “still up in the air,” but that he’s hoping to “get it resolved this weekend.” Just where he’d fit on the Reds’ roster is unknown, but Jocketty said his role would be determined during spring training.

Rolen would almost certainly have to take a backseat to Todd Frazier after he batted just .245/.318/.398 with eight home runs, 39 RBI and a .716 OPS over 92 games last season. The Dodgers have also expressed interest in him this winter and could present a better opportunity and quite possibly, a more lucrative offer.

CRedsLarkin11
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
This is definitely an emotional decision here. I think all of our hearts would like to see Rolen back but ultimately this is about winning and who makes the team better. He is not good enough to start over Frazier any more and you would have an old no upside player on the bench who can only play one position. Basically you're paying decent money for a pinch hitter (and leader of course). I'd like for him to retire but if not then good luck to him in LA.

Beatlessp
02-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Part of me doesn't blame him for wanting to play another year...I wouldn't wanna go up against and be compared to Chipper Jones my first year of eligibility either......but I think he's done with the Reds after the off-season moves they've made this year...I really don't see room for him anywhere

JB12
02-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I heard Walt on 700 WLW last night say that he'd be fine with taking as long as a day or two before spring training to make a deal (if ones going to be made at all). So, I doubt we'd hear of a deal being made by the end of the weekend... but who knows.

DGullett35
02-02-2013, 05:09 PM
I dont think he would get the fanfair Chipper got in his run around the country last year but it sure would be nice to see him healthy for one last full year and retire a Red. That being said IMHO I would rather have Hannahan. I live in NE OH and watch alot of Indians games. Jack isnt a bad player. He can help this team and can put up some decent numbers. Hes also more versitile as he plays more than just 3B. Theres always going to be injuries so Rolen would probably get playing time but he definitely wouldnt start the year in AAA. If a deal does get done I will be very interested in seeing what the plan is with him. When was the Reds last player/coach? Pete?

m21eagle45
02-02-2013, 05:59 PM

This

LexRedsFan
02-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Frazier at this point is a way better option. I would not mind him being Fraziers back up though.

Do you trust Dusty to only play him in a back-up role? I personally don't.

MBZags
02-03-2013, 05:37 AM

Nor do I. (http://deadspin.com/5951062/the-reds-season-ended-with-scott-rolen-whiffing-on-a-hanging-slider)

Kilgore_Trout
02-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Dusty been quoted as saying "It's Todd's time," or something along those lines?

What I'm more concerned about is Rolen's salary and his ability to stay healthy/produce. As has been pointed out before, his defensive prowess is nowhere near where it once was, and his hitting ability has diminished considerably as well.

Kingspoint
02-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I can't believe the Dodgers, or anyone else, are contemplating giving Rolen Major League at-bats.

He's been nothing but an albatross around the Reds' neck for 2-1/2 years (see 2010 playoffs).

His .615 Road OPS, 256 points less than Frazier's last year, shows what little has been left in his tank for a long time. Removed from the Right-handed Power benefits of the GAB and placed into the power-draining atmosphere of Dodger Stadium, Rolen won't sniff a .600 OPS Total for 2013.

If he plays for the Dodgers, they will lose more games, so I hope they sign him.

Kingspoint
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Better to leave that roster spot free for bouncing players on and off the team as needs arise than to handcuff the team with someone who is basically worthless, one with few tools, if any at all, to help the team win games.

texasdave
02-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Dodgers GM Ned Colletti suggested on MLB Network that free agent third baseman Scott Rolen will "probably end up some other place than Los Angeles,"Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports. The Dodgers had “some interest” in bringing Rolen on to provide depth at the corner infielder positions, Colletti acknowledged.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#Mu0ojWVM5VG3OOa8.99

The only two destinations that I have heard mentioned for Rolen were the Dodgers and the Reds. So, if it isn't the Dodgers then.......

JB12
02-07-2013, 09:04 AM
I think the biggest thing is location. Rolen doesn't want to leave the midwest. IF he chooses that he wants to make another run, then it will be in Cincinnati or with another team that shows interest within the area.

As much as I love Scott Rolen as a player, I wholeheartedly do not want him on this team.

holster10
02-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I am curious if the Reds had already made Rolen a formal offer but intentionally low balled him to save public relations face when they really don't want him to return.

REDREAD
02-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Part of me doesn't blame him for wanting to play another year...I wouldn't wanna go up against and be compared to Chipper Jones my first year of eligibility either......but I think he's done with the Reds after the off-season moves they've made this year...I really don't see room for him anywhere

I don't see that being an issue. Rolen is a lock for the HOF.
Even if that wasn't true, I doubt players worry that much of about HOF elections. I am sure they are honored if elected, and maybe annoyed if they not elected, but I doubt it's something most players lose sleep over.

Rolen wants to come back because he likes the guys on the team and likes to play. I appreciate what Paul did for us last year, but I bet he slides through waivers and the Reds can put him in AAA.. Even talent poor Houston would probably rather play kids in the OF than go with a limited upside guy like Paul.
If we lose Paul, it's not exactly a trajedy.

I just think of all the playing time Cairo got over the last few years. Rolen could fill a lot of that (other than 2b). I don't want Heisey (or Paul) to be to a starter if there's an injury. Having 2 other guys that can play 3b is a blessing, because that means Rolen will not have to play hurt as he has done in years past.

ATL Reds Fan
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I am a little bit surprised that the Braves haven't been mentioned at all in possibly signing Rolen. Third base is definitely their biggest weakness and having Rolen for one year to spot start and mentor their current young guys seems like it would be valuable to them.

Vander
02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Not shocking, but Rolen will not be at Reds camp this spring...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2013/02/12/rolen-wont-be-returning/

holster10
02-12-2013, 06:03 PM
smart play by Rolen and keeps the lineup "dustyproofed" heading into season.