PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Miller vs. Tyler Skaggs?

Benihana
03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Yahoo Rotisserie, 11 team league, standard 5x5 scoring.
Made a couple trades immediately after the draft, and have a few keepers (Trout, Stanton and Rizzo were keepers). Here is my team:

C M.Montero
1B Rizzo
2B Cano
SS Tulowitzki
3B Longoria
OF Stanton
OF Trout
OF Fowler
OF
DH P.Alvarez

BN Uggla 2B
BN N.Walker 2B
BN W.Myers OF
BN J.Profar 2B/SS/DH

SP Greinke
SP Lincecum
SP Morrow
SP Bailey
SP B.Anderson
SP S.Marcum
SP S.Miller
SP T.Skaggs
RP J.Papelbon
RP J.Broxton
RP E.Freieri

Clearly, I need one more OF as Myers isn't likely to start the season in the majors. Cameron Maybin is on the waiver wire. So is Kyle Lohse. I want to pick up both (but will prioritize Maybin first). Question is - do I drop Miller, Skaggs, Marcum, Uggla, or Walker?

(The reason I have 4 2B is immediately after the draft I traded Jayson Heyward and Jeff Samardzjia for Robinson Cano and Shelby Miller)

Any/all other comments and suggestions welcome please. Where should I be looking to improve? Thanks in advance!

Tornon
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
If he's not going to be a realistic keeper for you next year, I'd think about dropping Skaggs

Benihana
03-14-2013, 08:27 PM
If he's not going to be a realistic keeper for you next year, I'd think about dropping Skaggs

Thanks - You'd drop Skaggs before Miller?

Tornon
03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks - You'd drop Skaggs before Miller?

It'd be close.. if both were healthy and in the rotation to start the year, I'd prefer Miller to Skaggs. Miller's had the arm issue & Skaggs has had the shaky spring, so neither may end up there. It might come down to a matter of trying to predict opportunity

Will M
03-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I'd drop Uggla or Marcum.

Uggla gets HR which you have a lot of. He does nothing else these days.
He plays 2B which you already have two of.

Marcum. It seems his better days are behind him. I'd keep both youngsters & be careful early not to pitch them against the big offensive teams (to avoid a big blowup). If either flops then drop them & go to the waiver wire.

Benihana
03-14-2013, 10:44 PM
I'd drop Uggla or Marcum.

Uggla gets HR which you have a lot of. He does nothing else these days.
He plays 2B which you already have two of.

Marcum. It seems his better days are behind him. I'd keep both youngsters & be careful early not to pitch them against the big offensive teams (to avoid a big blowup). If either flops then drop them & go to the waiver wire.

This is what I'm thinking as well. Uggla is going to be the first to go. He has no place on this team. I may drop Marcum for Lohse or Santana, who both provide more upside. With Skaggs and Martin, I view them both as lottery tickets- not expecting much but will probably hold onto them through the first month or two, just to see if they can catch a spark (not to mention make the team).

AtomicDumpling
03-15-2013, 12:38 AM
How many keepers are you allowed? If it is just a few I would drop Skaggs or Miller, whichever one doesn't get a rotation slot to start the season. Likely neither of them will. I think Miller is more likely to be a star pitcher eventually, but not this year. So I doubt he would be one of your keepers next year.

I would try to trade Uggla before dropping him. He has some trade value. Not a lot, but some. He is good in 3 of the 5 hitting categories. I wouldn't drop him.

I am not a believer in Fowler, so I think you need two outfielders. I would try to trade Broxton and Frieri to fill your hitting slots because their closer roles are in jeopardy.