PDA

View Full Version : What could we get for Bruce?

reds700
04-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Don't think the guy has improved during his whole time in majors. What could we get for him in a trade?

DocRed
04-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Magic beans maybe..

joshua
04-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Don't think the guy has improved during his whole time in majors. What could we get for him in a trade?

His numbers say otherwise.

Bruce has always been either super hot, or super cold. He had a horrid Spring too. I think in a couple of weeks he will be tearing pitching apart.

reds700
04-01-2013, 09:14 PM
He tears pitching up for one month every year. The guy is just not as good as everybody thought he would be.

StRedlegs900
04-02-2013, 09:35 AM
While at the game yesterday I was quite frustrated to see Bruce up in almost EVERY crucial at-bat, I still think it's premature to try and trade the guy. He's just turning 25, and still has plenty of time to continue to improve.

He looked incredibly lost against Weaver early in the game, and I think that really messed with his psyche for the remainder of it. The fact is, he's put up some great numbers the past few years for someone so young, and I believe was also top 10 in MVP voting last year, even with his streaky hitting. That doesn't scream "trade now" to me.

GotHeeeeem
04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
He has improved his homerun totals every season he has been in the major leagues.

Raisor
04-02-2013, 09:51 AM
He turns 26 tomorrow.

StRedlegs900
04-02-2013, 09:53 AM
He turns 26 tomorrow.

Good call! Not sure why I thought it was 25 for some reason! Either way I think it's a moot point. He's improved every year and there's no reason to believe he will all of a sudden fall off a cliff at 26.

CySeymour
04-02-2013, 09:54 AM
You need to ask if he is traded, who plays instead? No one who would be as good as Bruce, so why bother?

westofyou
04-02-2013, 09:55 AM

Other than increasing his HRS and Rbis every season he's played he hasn't improved eh?

reds700
04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
I am not saying he is not any good. I just don't see him improving that much at this point. He is the exact same player right now as he was 2 or 3 years ago. I just don't think he is a guy that you can count on to deliver unless it is during his one hot stretch. I think right now you could get some good value for him, but in 2 or 3 years when he is the exact same player as he is now, the value will go way down.

Now I hope in a couple months somebody pulls this thread back up and laughs at me for being an idiot b/c that would mean Bruce has turned it around, but I am not very confident that will happen.

StRedlegs900
04-02-2013, 10:00 AM
I think Bruce is so polarizing because it's easy to play the "what if" game with him regarding his potential. In my maybe 13-14 games that I attended in person last year, I bet I saw him leave 20+ runners on base during his at-bats. Yet in spite of this he still ended the year with nearly 100 RBI. It's tempting to wonder what he could do if he improved contact with runners in scoring position, but I'm sure there are 29 other teams who wouldn't mind having his production in their outfield at his age.

Matt700wlw
04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
This place is in mid-season form already.

durl
04-02-2013, 10:22 AM
It's easy to get frustrated with Bruce. He's in rare company...very few have increased their HR and RBI totals every year over their first 5 years. It's just that his streaks are SO pronounced.

It seems that he's either SUPER hot or SUPER cold and those peaks and valleys really stand out. I was hoping that he would become more consistent with his hot streaks by now. Just imagine then numbers he'd put up if he didn't go through 4-5 cold streaks of 2 weeks or more during a season.

Raisor
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Good call! Not sure why I thought it was 25 for some reason! Either way I think it's a moot point. He's improved every year and there's no reason to believe he will all of a sudden fall off a cliff at 26.

By the way, I didn't even read your post before hand.

Wasn't trying to correct you.

I was bringing it up because dude is still young.

StRedlegs900
04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
By the way, I didn't even read your post before hand.

Wasn't trying to correct you.

I was bringing it up because dude is still young.

Oh, it was completely fine! I'm glad you did correct me b/c I'm not sure why I thought he was a year younger. Needless to say I can't think of many more right-fielders that I'd rather have out there than Jay...short of your Stantons or Harpers who happen to be years younger and are, for now, significantly cheaper. Even then, I doubt you would get either of those guys to sign a contract as team-friendly as Bruce's.

tomnuetten
04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
bruce isnīt going anywhere and he shouldnīt...

Birdman007
04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
The guy had 34 bombs and 99 RBI last year. He's going to strike out and not hit for a real high average but he's one of the best producers in the game.

OfficerRodFarva
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I simply cannot believe I am reading this thread.

OfficerRodFarva
04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Oh wait, I figured it out.
This thread was made on April 1. APRIL FOOLS DAY!

Cicero2.0
04-03-2013, 11:59 PM
What do you guys think we can get for reds700?

His thirteen posts haven't shown any improvement. Sure he gets hot for a syllable or two but I don't see him improving any time. :D

04-04-2013, 12:25 AM
I doubt the Reds could get a 26 year old, strong defensive RF'er who hits 30+ HR's, drives in 90+ runs and puts up an .840 OPS for him. But if they could, that would be awesome.

LexRedsFan
04-04-2013, 01:17 AM
In all seriousness, we could probably get quite a lot for him. He's 26 and did just win a Silver Slugger for a reason. He's frustrating, don't get me wrong.

I don't see us getting anything worth making the trade. Jmo.

OfficerRodFarva
04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Hey what do you guys think we could get for Phillips?

marcshoe
04-04-2013, 09:08 AM
His birthday was yesterday, but it's not to late to get him a nice gift.

Flowers and candy?

It's really nice that you want to buy him a present. I'm assuming that's what the thread title means; I'm afraid to read the op.

bounty37h
04-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Dudes a bum, only one homer this year?? Prob couldn't get much.

tomnuetten
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM

if put votto and chapman on the block aswell, we should get a decent return :thumbup:

Rock of Truth
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
I doubt the Reds could get a 26 year old, strong defensive RF'er who hits 30+ HR's, drives in 90+ runs and puts up an .840 OPS for him. But if they could, that would be awesome.

2 Years YOUNGER than Cozart. Crazy. Seems like Bruce has been around forever.

tomnuetten
04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
2 Years YOUNGER than Cozart. Crazy. Seems like Bruce has been around forever.

absolutly heīs already #17 on reds all time home run list (9 behind phillips and 1 in front of votto)

with 26 :eek: but sometimes (in his cold streaks) he is hard to watch without throwing something against the tv... he has lots of bad at bats but if heīs hot "nobody" can stop him

xsteve1
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Produces when there is no pressure but is awful in the clutch.

mgbrown66
04-04-2013, 08:17 PM
As much as Bruce frustrates me, he is able to carry a team single-handedly for a few weeks. More so than any player on the team, including Votto.

KC2135
04-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Crawford, Hanley and Kershaw.......THEN I WAKE UP

Norm Chortleton
04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Bruce is fine. The problem is the 3-4 other guys in the lineup every day who:

--can't (or won't?) put the ball in play consistently
--refuse to change their approach with 2 strikes
--have no idea what a productive out looks like

:bang:

redsfan4486
04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Probably a decent return because he is still so young and is arguably just entering his prime. I wouldn't trade him. I want to watch him lead the reds to the world series!

tomnuetten
04-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Probably a decent return because he is still so young and is arguably just entering his prime. I wouldn't trade him. I want to watch him lead the reds to the world series!

sounds good... Iīll accept that offer ;)

I like this guy but sometimes itīs frustrating to see him give away at bats badly...

DocRed
04-05-2013, 08:28 PM
People won't like this...but I would rather sign Choo and deal Bruce for a power hitter.

tomnuetten
04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
People won't like this...but I would rather sign Choo and deal Bruce for a power hitter.

I love the choo trade... liked him a lot with the indians and thought he is underrated...

really impressed with his game so far... and hey votto with 3 hits today :) the reds found their bats :thumbup:

now only bruce has to get out of his slump and it could be a nice weekend series...

Mastodon
04-05-2013, 08:56 PM
I love the choo trade... liked him a lot with the indians and thought he is underrated...

really impressed with his game so far... and hey votto with 3 hits today :) the reds found their bats :thumbup:

now only bruce has to get out of his slump and it could be a nice weekend series...

Yeah with the way the rest of the team is playing, god help our opponents if Bruce plays even mediocre.

tomnuetten
04-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Yeah with the way the rest of the team is playing, god help our opponents if Bruce plays even mediocre.

add the pitching (which was great so far) and we have one of the best teams in baseball to watch on a regular basis => I like it...

the time I started watching baseball (the reds) they sucked ;)

redsfan4486
04-05-2013, 09:34 PM

If bruce and votto play good at the same time with this pitching call the season and award the reds the championships cuz they will destroy their opponents.:thumbup:

xsteve1
04-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Nice at bat by Bruce to end the game. Just terrible in the clutch.

DWS1125
04-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Bruce needs to add something to his stance to slow him down a little bit then he will be fine..he's geared up for the fastball so much he has no chance for the offspeed pitches. I don't think the hitting instructor is reaching him..he has a looping swing like Griffey. He should seek Jr's advice on how to wait back for the offspeed, but not be too far behind to catch a fastball. Just my guess or theory

mth123
04-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Geez folks. Jay Bruce simply needs to continue putting up 30+ HR with roughly 100 RBI every year while being one of the better defensive RF in the game.

In case we've forgotten who we're talking about here:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bruceja01.shtml

He's also signed to a pretty sweet deal through 2017. Guys with a couple 30+ HR seasons at age 26 are getting paid a lot more than that. Bruce is a building block. Nobody comes through 100% of the time. Bench didn't. Morgan didn't. Larkin didn't. Votto doesn't. Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig made outs with men on base too.

Falcon7
04-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Votto and Bruce have combined for 0 Hr's and 2 RBI's in the 1st 5, I'm starting to wonder if Votto will every get his power back...

tomnuetten
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Votto and Bruce have combined for 0 Hr's and 2 RBI's in the 1st 5, I'm starting to wonder if Votto will every get his power back...

we are talking about a 5 game sample....yes bruce is going to hit a lot of hrīs and votto is going deep again aswell!

mgbrown66
04-07-2013, 07:07 PM
He's warming up now. I am glad he's staying put for a while.

Cicero2.0
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
We are a really spoiled fan base if we are unhappy with a 30 hr 99 rbi type of player. We can't have perennial all stars at every position.

westofyou
04-07-2013, 07:40 PM
We are a really spoiled fan base if we are unhappy with a 30 hr 99 rbi type of player. We can't have perennial all stars at every position.

Spoiled wasn't the word that starts with S I was thinking of

Norm Chortleton
04-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Pujols went 28 games and 109 at-bats before he homered last year and he finished with 30. Let's give Votto until at least May before hitting the panic button.

Cicero2.0
04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Spoiled wasn't the word that starts with S I was thinking of

I was trying to be nice. :laugh:

KC2135
04-08-2013, 01:52 PM
if we were serious about this the team that would love him is the rangers. Cruz is gone after this year, Bruce has a nice price take and they have a nice farm system

SweetLou1990
04-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Jay Bruce had a hot streak today. Glad to see him going the other way, it seems like much, much more this year. Also, dude has a cannon arm in RF. But, I am still remembering the way last season ended to, w/ a JB strikeout. I like him, has a high ceiling. Would you have to trade for a right fielder that is most likely worse ?

mgbrown66
04-08-2013, 10:13 PM
What can we get for Bruce?

At this rate about 2 Joey Votto's. :)

RedEye
04-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Produces when there is no pressure but is awful in the clutch.

nm

I tried to link to a video of his 2010 walkoff HR to the playoffs. That would be a major exception the rule you just cited.

kaldaniels
04-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Jay Bruce had a hot streak today. Glad to see him going the other way, it seems like much, much more this year. Also, dude has a cannon arm in RF. But, I am still remembering the way last season ended to, w/ a JB strikeout. I like him, has a high ceiling. Would you have to trade for a right fielder that is most likely worse ?

Last season ended with a Scott Rolen strikeout on a pitch that I would expect my grandmother to put in the upper deck.

Mr Larkin
04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Jay Bruce is an All-Star. He plays a very tough RF and can collect the big hits.

I dislike people who just sit at home an complain.

Stray
04-09-2013, 12:10 AM
He's never as bad as his cold streaks and never as good as his hot streaks. Over 162 he will put up big numbers, and then he's been constantly getting better every season he's been a pro. Oh and he's still really young.

I cringe when he's at the plate in a big situation (regardless of if he delivers or not, just a reaction I have as a fan), but he's a cornerstone for our organization. And a good one.

mgbrown66
04-09-2013, 10:50 AM
He also seems to be going opposite field quite a bit more this year. Perhaps he was getting hitting advice from Drew Stubbs last year.

redsfan4486
04-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Jay Bruce is an All-Star. He plays a very tough RF and can collect the big hits.

I dislike people who just sit at home an complain.

Agreed they guy is hitting .324 enough said.

Goose
04-10-2013, 08:56 AM
We can get approximately 30 hr, 100 RBI and good RF defense at a reasonable price for the next 5 years if we aren't too stupid to trade him.

Rock of Truth
04-10-2013, 09:12 AM
He made a really nice play in RF last night to rob a hit.

but

in the 6th inning .... ugh. With runners on 2nd and 3rd the Cards were pitching to Bruce with the "UNintentional" walk. They were not going to throw him any pitches to hit with first base open. Pitch 1, low and outside. Pitch 2, low and outside. Pitch 3, low and outside, but for some reason Jay decides to swing. Lazy grounder to the SS to end the inning. Take the walk and see what Frazier could do with the bases loaded. At the time the Reds were up 1-0. The game changed shortly after that.

mgbrown66
04-10-2013, 04:16 PM
He made a really nice play in RF last night to rob a hit.

but

in the 6th inning .... ugh. With runners on 2nd and 3rd the Cards were pitching to Bruce with the "UNintentional" walk. They were not going to throw him any pitches to hit with first base open. Pitch 1, low and outside. Pitch 2, low and outside. Pitch 3, low and outside, but for some reason Jay decides to swing. Lazy grounder to the SS to end the inning. Take the walk and see what Frazier could do with the bases loaded. At the time the Reds were up 1-0. The game changed shortly after that.

I was really scratching my head on that at-bat. He's been in the league too long to do stuff like that. Inexcusable.

Old school 1983
04-13-2013, 12:43 PM
For Bruce? Hmm. I've seen some crazy trade proposals for Stanton on here that's more or less weaken the team for one player. I kinda have a crazy one that may make both teams stronger.

To LAA:
Bruce
Corcino or cingrani
Bham
Leake

To CIN:
Trout
Trumbo

LAA gets a legit young lefty bat to compliment J Hamilton. A possible replacement for bourjos in center who will replace the departing trout, a pitcher to help since weaver is out, and a nice pitching prospect who is near major league ready.

Reds get speed and power in trout, legit right handed power in trumbo, and improved defense in the outfield.

Lineup
Choo
Trout
Votto
Trumbo
Phillips
Frazier
Cozart
Hanigan/Mes

Just a crazy idea.

CySeymour
04-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah...Angels are going to trade a 21 year old coming off of an MVP season.

DocRed
04-13-2013, 08:32 PM
We can get approximately 30 hr, 100 RBI and good RF defense at a reasonable price for the next 5 years if we aren't too stupid to trade him.
Not to mention a .250 BA, 150 strikeouts and oodles of baserunners left on base.

Old school 1983
04-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah...Angels are going to trade a 21 year old coming off of an MVP season.

Like I said a crazy idea. It was meant to be tongue and cheek to all of the crazy Stanton ideas that I see on here. There's no reason to trade the guys that people talk about trading for Stanton. He's an incredible player but not worth mortgaging the future for. Despite Bruce's struggles in clutch situations, I believe he has tremendous upside and definitely saves runs defensively and I wouldn't consider trading him unless there's a haul in return.

DocRed
04-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Duhhhsty Baker strikes again!!

RedTeamGo!
04-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Not to mention a .250 BA, 150 strikeouts and oodles of baserunners left on base.

Oodles, huh? Was that a new stat in the last baseball abstract?

You're right though... Bruce is the worst 26 year old with comps to hall of famers I have ever seen.

xsteve1
04-14-2013, 06:29 AM
One of the worst clutch hitters I've ever seen. He's great in a blowout though.

BellyBuster
04-14-2013, 03:09 PM
couldnt get much for Bruce

CySeymour
04-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Like I said a crazy idea. It was meant to be tongue and cheek to all of the crazy Stanton ideas that I see on here. There's no reason to trade the guys that people talk about trading for Stanton. He's an incredible player but not worth mortgaging the future for. Despite Bruce's struggles in clutch situations, I believe he has tremendous upside and definitely saves runs defensively and I wouldn't consider trading him unless there's a haul in return.

My bad. I didn't detect the sarcasm.

Old school 1983
04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
My bad. I didn't detect the sarcasm.

It's all good. I just got tired of all the lets trade for Stanton for our closer and best two prospects stuff on the ORG. It'd wreck our bullpen and us in the future or this year if the injury bug bit the wrong guy. I was trying to say its as dumb for us to give all of that up for Stanton as it would be for the angels to trade trout. Also i was trying to say a good trade happens when you trade pieces that you dont need now in the immediate future like the trade for latos. But in reality I'd love to see us go after a guy like Headley from the padres. I don't think hed cost as much as stanton. Idk if I'd put Bruce in the deal but he'd definitely give votto some protection and improve the D at 3rd.

RedTeamGo!
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
I think we could get something not as good as Bruce in return for Bruce.

Old school 1983
04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I think we could get something not as good as Bruce in return for Bruce.

True. Very true, so I'm on the lets keep him unless Walt can really pull one over in another GM crowd.

Vottomatic
04-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Meh. I've been lukewarm on Bruce for a long, long time.

But lately he's been showing me he can go the other way. And for the first time in a long while, he came up clutch WITH SINGLES last night in both games. A very, very good sign. Dude has not been clutch. And always seems to be swinging for the fences. They're pitching him away and he's going with the pitch and getting it done.

Bruce is making serious strides. I'm impressed.

RedTeamGo!
04-18-2013, 01:14 PM

But lately he's been showing me he can go the other way. And for the first time in a long while, he came up clutch WITH SINGLES last night in both games. A very, very good sign. Dude has not been clutch. And always seems to be swinging for the fences. They're pitching him away and he's going with the pitch and getting it done.

Dude had 135 XBH in 2011 and 2012 combined. He has been good for quite some time.

Old school 1983
04-18-2013, 01:17 PM

I second that! Lets hope it continues!:beerme:

sig
04-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Could they do something like the Paul O'Neill for Roberto Kelly trade? I think I'd hang on to Bruce.

Joesh
04-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Not much -_-. Hopefully he comes around

RedTeamGo!
04-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Not much -_-. Hopefully he comes around

False, if the reds put Bruce on the market they would be able to get quite a bit. He was top 5 in the nl in home runs last year and won a silver slugger. If the reds put Bruce on the block right now they would also be insane.

Jamz
04-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Bruce for Gordon and Hosmer

RedTeamGo!
04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
So we should trade Bruce for two inferior players, one of which would be blocked by Joey Votto? That makes a lot of sense. How about mat Latos for Rick porcello and Andy dirks?

Jamz
04-22-2013, 04:17 PM
So we should trade Bruce for two inferior players, one of which would be blocked by Joey Votto? That makes a lot of sense. How about mat Latos for Rick porcello and Andy dirks?

It was a comment made in jest, but I wouldn't consider Gordon an inferior player -- he's better than Bruce (I don't want to trade Bruce, just saying).

xsteve1
04-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Heard Marty say Jay has 27 strikeouts in like 81 at bats. Ouch.

Goose
04-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Clutch hit for Bruce in the 13th. I thought I heard he never gets those.

reds700
04-23-2013, 08:05 AM
He is still striking out too much, but he is playing more consistent this year which is a good thing. Hopefully he keeps making me look like an idiot. If he can just avoid those 2-3 week stretches where he strikes out every at bat then he will be fine.

Jamz
04-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Bruce is great and he'll be a Red for a long time if not his whole career. Too much ability and potential to trade. It would be like trading Justin Upton.

Goose1701
04-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Bruce is currently running a 4.8 HR/FB% as opposed to a career average of 16.9%. The power is coming.

There are some things worth watching however. Walks are down(for the 3rd straight year) and strikeouts are up(for the 5th straight year)

Small sample size cavets apply of course, but hopefully he can get those K's down a little at least.

Old school 1983
04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Bruce is underperforming with the bat right now. Even if his bat is in a slump his glove and arm aren't on D. His bat will come around for the power. Dude shouldn't be traded unless the reds get blown away with some crazy ridiculous unbalanced offer.

DavidMemphis
04-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Is it frustrating to see Bruce struggle at times? Of course. But, as we have seen, he is the definition of streak hitter, and when he gets hot, he gets RED hot. Not to mention, with our injuries to Ludwick, Heisey, and Choo being an adventure in the OF . . . . I will ask this - if I was the GM and told you that for your 5-slot hitter I've got a guy that, every year, you can pencil in for hitting arond .260, 30 plus HRs, almost 100 RBIs, and is very good defensively with a cannon for an arm - in the 5 slot mind you - would you take it? I sure will. And I will be happy when he goes deep tonight vs wainwright!