PDA

View Full Version : Left Field

Rock of Truth
04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
For those who have said Heisey just needs to get some consistant at bats ... he should play more ... I hope you are right. For some reason, to me he looks like one of those AAAA players. Too good for AAA ball, but not good enough to be an every day player at the major league level. Brandon Larson was the AAAA prototype.

tomnuetten
04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Iīm not a big heisey fan, but no problem with him batting in the 7-9 spot...

I doubt that he will get much at bats though... dusty will platoon him with paul and perhaps even frazier will get some time in left

StRedlegs900
04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm not too sure what I think about Heisey at this point. I think he was over-matched yesterday in some big situations, but I also believe that he was put in a tough situation being forced to bat cleanup due to an injury.

Something that I was thinking at the game yesterday when he was at-bat with the bases loaded, what would people have said about him laying down a bunt in that situation? I thought about it for a few reasons:

1. He had tried it earlier in the game, and while the bunt wasn't far from the catcher he STILL almost beat it out.

2. The 3rd baseman was on the dirt preparing for a double play, and it still would've been relatively surprising.

3. Heisey is a pretty adept bunter (at least it's always seemed that way).

4. You had decent speed at 3rd base in X. Paul.

5. The team had hardly made ANY hard contact at all for the entire game.

It was an idea that I thought would have been clever in that situation, but I'm sure it would've been hugely second-guessed if it didn't work. What would everyone have thought about such a play?

tomnuetten
04-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Something that I was thinking at the game yesterday when he was at-bat with the bases loaded, what would people have said about him laying down a bunt in that situation?

I thought the same, it looked like he went for a home run (the way he swung)... with his speed he has to put the ball in play in this situation... donīt swing for the grand slam

bmwreds31
04-02-2013, 12:02 PM
looks like he will be getting a few AB's now.

HDBoy
04-02-2013, 12:15 PM
With Ludwick's injury, I'd move Choo to left, Heisey to center, and bat Hannigan cleanup or 5th. He's a reliable contact hitter who can go yard, and shouldn't be batting 8th anyway.

Cant Touch This
04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
With Ludwick's injury, I'd move Choo to left, Heisey to center, and bat Hannigan cleanup or 5th. He's a reliable contact hitter who can go yard, and shouldn't be batting 8th anyway.

That's like saying Deion Sanders can go yard. Hanigan has 18 home runs in 1300+ career plate appearances. While I believe he is an underrated and quite useful hitter, he's not exactly the threat I'd want protecting Votto and doesn't belong anywhere in the meat of the order.

Mesoraco might be a completely different story, however...

Birdman007
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Depending on how long Ludwick is out, I would play Choo in LF and put Heisey in CF. If Ludwick is only expected to be out 2-3 weeks then I'd just stick with Choo and let him get more comfortable in CF.

OfficerRodFarva
04-02-2013, 04:35 PM
They are saying Ludwick is out at least 3 months now... Heisey will get his chance for sure now, and more than a couple weeks to prove himself

coachpipe
04-02-2013, 05:04 PM
We can always put Griffey in left...Sorry I listened to the "griff im missin you" song for the first time today

matt85webb
04-02-2013, 07:37 PM
The circumstances with Ludwick don't look too good for an extended period of time. I hate the idea of Hanigan batting in the four hole. I would like him to bat up in the lineup but four is not an option. If I had to choose my two ideal lineups for right now just off my head I would go:
1. Choo
2.Hanigan
3.Votto
4.BP
5.Bruce
6.Frazier
7.Cozart
8. Heisey/Paul switch
or
1.Choo
2.BP
3.Votto
4.Bruce/Frazier
5.Bruce/Frazier
6.Hanigan
7.Cozart
8.Heisey/Paul switch

Birdman007
04-03-2013, 01:25 PM
The circumstances with Ludwick don't look too good for an extended period of time. I hate the idea of Hanigan batting in the four hole. I would like him to bat up in the lineup but four is not an option. If I had to choose my two ideal lineups for right now just off my head I would go:
1. Choo
2.Hanigan
3.Votto
4.BP
5.Bruce
6.Frazier
7.Cozart
8. Heisey/Paul switch
or
1.Choo
2.BP
3.Votto
4.Bruce/Frazier
5.Bruce/Frazier
6.Hanigan
7.Cozart
8.Heisey/Paul switch

With how often Dusty seems to be having the 2 guy bunt, maybe they should just put Heisey there because he's got good speed and is probably the best bunter on the team.

OfficerRodFarva
04-03-2013, 01:26 PM
We can always put Griffey in left...Sorry I listened to the "griff im missin you" song for the first time today

I miss Junior, but certainly not his paper towel hamstrings

bmwreds31
04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Is there anyone possibly available to us?

If not i feel like we needs to make a move with a big time trade or something of the sort. From watching it i was figuring he would only be out for a 2-3 weeks at the most. No we pretty much lost him for the season.

Im highly doubting heisey is the answer.

tomnuetten
04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
That's like saying Deion Sanders can go yard. Hanigan has 18 home runs in 1300+ career plate appearances. While I believe he is an underrated and quite useful hitter, he's not exactly the threat I'd want protecting Votto and doesn't belong anywhere in the meat of the order.

Mesoraco might be a completely different story, however...

I donīt want to see mesoraco anywhere near the clean up position (yet)... I would try Hanigan at 2nd and Phillips as #4....

hanigan canīt go yard, but he gets on base, has a good eye and puts the ball in play... he isnīt speedy gonzales but with votto, phillips and bruce behind him, he only has to get on base (what he does)

KC2135
04-03-2013, 08:48 PM
For those who have said Heisey just needs to get some consistant at bats ... he should play more ... I hope you are right. For some reason, to me he looks like one of those AAAA players. Too good for AAA ball, but not good enough to be an every day player at the major league level. Brandon Larson was the AAAA prototype.

i agree with this, let's see what we got in Hamilton im mean i feel like he can hit as good as Ludwick did the first half of last season. Heck his speed might account for a you few more hits than just his batting, and once he is on then watch out.

tomnuetten
04-03-2013, 08:55 PM
i agree with this, let's see what we got in Hamilton im mean i feel like he can hit as good as Ludwick did the first half of last season. Heck his speed might account for a you few more hits than just his batting, and once he is on then watch out.

he is not ready for the big leagues... he has not really power => he wonīt hit like ludwick...

give him the time he needs in the minors to learn cf and call him in september..

OfficerRodFarva
04-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Much like the Chapman situation, we should trust the powers that be regarding Hamilton. They know much more than any of us

KC2135
04-04-2013, 04:06 AM
he is not ready for the big leagues... he has not really power => he wonīt hit like ludwick...

give him the time he needs in the minors to learn cf and call him in september..

True, I just can't remember such a hyped taken for us, I mean there was , Bruce, Cueto, etc but it just feels different with Hamilton

tomnuetten
04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
True, I just can't remember such a hyped taken for us, I mean there was , Bruce, Cueto, etc but it just feels different with Hamilton

yes and I would love to see him succeed in a reds uniform, but this guy has yet to prove that he can get on base on a regular bases (in higher minor league...)

he canīt steal first base => get him the at bats he needs and convert him to a centerfielder... his arm isnīt cf ready yet...

Rock of Truth
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Heisey proving me wrong. Funny how this team looks 180 degrees different when you simply have Chris hitting in the 2 spot and BP at clean up.

tomnuetten
04-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Heisey proving me wrong. Funny how this team looks 180 degrees different when you simply have Chris hitting in the 2 spot and BP at clean up.

I liked what I saw from heisey today and yesterday, but that were only 2 games... we have to see what he can do over a long period of time (sadly ludwick will be out at least 2 months )

mgbrown66
04-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Heisey should be serviceable as long as he doesn't press.
Once Bruce gets hot he should hit 4th to protect Votto.

Norm Chortleton
04-05-2013, 01:30 AM
Heisey should be serviceable as long as he doesn't press.
Once Bruce gets hot he should hit 4th to protect Votto.

Dusty would rather jump of the Brent Spence Bridge than bat 2 lefties back-to-back.

OfficerRodFarva
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Dusty would rather jump of the Brent Spence Bridge than bat 2 lefties back-to-back.

I would rather Dusty jump off the Brent Spence bridge than manage this ball club

goreds2
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yzx_du-9-AQ/UND-P-BNAWI/AAAAAAAAEdk/Jsn2FoJHvB8/s1600/cliff-jump.jpg

mgbrown66
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM

I know.

Votto hits lefties just as well as righties.

But then, if it weren't for Dusty what the hell would we talk about all summer? :laugh:

Norm Chortleton
04-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I know.

Votto hits lefties just as well as righties.

But then, if it weren't for Dusty what the hell would we talk about all summer? :laugh:

Exactly.

malcontent
04-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I'd rather go with a straight Paul/Heisey platoon.

I know it's early, but Robinson looks like he might be a decent LH PH option when Paul starts.

His speed made a big difference today.

RedsBrick
04-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Based on what he's done with his few ABs so far, I think XP has earned some starts.

KC2135
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
i cant remember the last time the Reds have had so many decent internal options to chose from. We don't have to feel like the season is over when an injury happens.

coachpipe
04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
I personally like Paul over Heisey. It may just be me, and i find it odd, but to me it seems heisey plays better when he comes off the bench or pinch hits than he does when he gets the start.

malcontent
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I personally like Paul over Heisey. It may just be me, and i find it odd, but to me it seems heisey plays better when he comes off the bench or pinch hits than he does when he gets the start.
"I've got Heisey slated to play every game in Pittsburgh. That would mean Robinson would go two weeks without a start," Baker said. "Plus, Lynn can be tough with that breaking ball-fastball [combo]. Plus, Heisey will get the majority of starts in left field. The other guys will need at-bats so they will be sharp we when need them."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130409&content_id=44306220&notebook_id=44328430&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

I agree Paul should start against RHP, but Baker is worried about the rookie getting starts. So much for Paul.

And this isn't 2012 when Paul was the lone LH/SH bat on the bench. Start him and you still have Hannahan, Robinson and yes, Izturis to PH against RHP.

tomnuetten
04-10-2013, 10:27 AM
I would like to see some starts for Paul but heisey and Robinson didnīt look bad either

mgbrown66
04-10-2013, 04:12 PM
i cant remember the last time the Reds have had so many decent internal options to chose from. We don't have to feel like the season is over when an injury happens.

I think when you have 3 options, you have no options. None of these guys can produce on a consistent basis.

HDBoy
04-10-2013, 10:17 PM

I agree!

CardsFanBob
04-11-2013, 10:28 AM
I just mentioned this in another thread. By trade deadline time, you should be in the market for someone in left field. I see it as your only hole. That, or you find a better option in center and slide Choo over. Good lawd does Choo look iffy in center.

KC2135
04-15-2013, 10:55 PM
im starting think (though sam sample six) Robinson is our best bet right now at left. He is just as fast or fast the Chris, he seems to hit the ball hard even on outs, and he defense is outstanding. any thoughs

RedTeamGo!
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
im starting think (though sam sample six) Robinson is our best bet right now at left. He is just as fast or fast the Chris, he seems to hit the ball hard even on outs, and he defense is outstanding. any thoughs

is "sam sample six" the weirdest autocorrect ever or is it some sort of inside joke?

coachpipe
04-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Robinson >> Heisey aka popout king any day of the week

RedTeamGo!
04-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Robinson >> Heisey aka popout king any day of the week

Heisey is bad, but we have not seen enough of Robinson to really know what he is. I think Uncle Walt is going to give this a couple weeks and if it is too big of a black hole he will look elsewhere (hopefully).

Old school 1983
04-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Heisey has looked horrible at the plate this year. He seems to be over swinging and pulling out way more than in the past. This could explain the pop ups. I don't think he's an all star or honestly even want him as a full time reds starter but I don't think he's as bad as an offensive player as he is showing right now and will contribute to this team in some good way before the year is out

RedTeamGo!
04-16-2013, 10:51 PM
It would be hard for him to be worse than he is now. If he is hitting like this a month from now how can the reds justify having him on the roster?

KC2135
04-17-2013, 12:38 AM
is "sam sample six" the weirdest autocorrect ever or is it some sort of inside joke?

just tired typing ;)

holster10
04-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Heisey is not an every day or every down player, plain and simple. Provides solid defense and is a great fastball hitter but struggles against sliders and breaking pitches away.

boiseheidleberg
04-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Would love to see Robinson get some reps. He's has been in the middle of a lot of action in his few chances.