PDA

View Full Version : Shin-Soo Choo

redsfan4486
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Choo has really done well in the games so far. I must say I am excited for his season. Been along time since we had a true lead of hitter. Do u think he is the leadoff hitter we have been looking for? Will the reds try to resign him to bridge the gap to Billy Hamilton ?

tomnuetten
04-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Yes I think heīll be the leadoff hitter the reds were looking for....

and yes they are looking to resign him, but they also want to keep the pitching core => the better choo plays the harder it will be to resign him

Mastodon
04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
It all depends on how well Hamilton plays and the other needs of the team, but yes Choo has been amazing so far. We definitely made a huge upgrade to our biggest weakness from last year. With Choo being walked this recent at bat his on base percentage is now .500

redsfan4486
04-05-2013, 09:39 PM
He should hit close to 20 homers and have an obp around .400 in our park so that's all $$$$ in free agency especially because I think Scott Boras is his agent

El Bacalao
04-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Meanwhile Drew Stubbs is batting himself out of baseball. 4 games: 17 at bats, 8 strikeouts, 2 hits, .118 average. What a great trade that was.

Redeye fly
04-06-2013, 05:20 AM
It indeed has been a great trade for us. Although in fairness, with that 3 team trade I don't think Drew Stubbs was the main piece the Indians were wanting in return.

I'd actually like to see Drew have some success in Cleveland as he seemed like a great guy.

But the big thing is we got what we wanted and who we wanted out of the deal. Whatever happens anywhere else is secondary as I don't think we'll be bemoaning the loss of Stubbs or Gregorius.

texasdave
04-06-2013, 06:13 AM
And if you play Stubbs in a corner outfield position doesn't that take away from what he does best and curb his value to a team?

Drugs Delaney
04-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I think the Reds will look into resigning him after the season. If he is willing to take a discount to stay, then maybe we have a chance.

However, I think the idea was as the first poster said "to bridge the gap to Billy Hamilton." I think 2013 is that gap and Hamilton will be the starting CF in 2014.

Also, I think the Reds biggest priority in terms of spending money has to be the starting rotation, not the OF. Homer Bailey will be a FA after the 2014 season. I hope if the Reds make a big signing this winter that it is a long term deal with Homer.

RedsBrick
04-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I hope the Reds are able to resign Choo. The guy's a player. I'm also not sold on Billy Hamilton. There's an awful lot of hype surrounding this kid. Can he live up to it?

bmwreds31
04-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I was ecstatic when i heard about the trade. Super excited to watch this season.

redsfan4486
04-06-2013, 01:07 PM
I just saw an interview with him he speaks really good English. I was very surprised.

TheBateman
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
If and when Hamilton comes knocking on the door, I hope we can figure out a way to keep Choo even if it means getting rid of Ludwick.

tomnuetten
04-06-2013, 01:34 PM
I hope the Reds are able to resign Choo. The guy's a player. I'm also not sold on Billy Hamilton. There's an awful lot of hype surrounding this kid. Can he live up to it?

I hope they can resign him but if he produces big time this year it will be hard to keep him...

I also donīt join this hamilton hype... yes he is speedy as hell but nobody saw him aigainst top pitchers every day... if he canīt get on base his speed isnīt a weapon at all

redsfan4486
04-06-2013, 04:22 PM
I hope they can resign him but if he produces big time this year it will be hard to keep him...

I also donīt join this hamilton hype... yes he is speedy as hell but nobody saw him aigainst top pitchers every day... if he canīt get on base his speed isnīt a weapon at all

Sounds a lot like drew stubbs to me. Hamilton that is. Getting a hit is all that matters. u are required to get those to score.

Redsfansince72
04-06-2013, 10:05 PM
i wonder if the Reds FO might get tired of the roller coaster ride Bruce does and try to move Bruce and resign Choo for RF!! Bruce is swinging over pitches and today should have swung at that first meatball in the 10th instead of taking it and swinging badly at the next two not even close to being strikes.. just saying.. it could happen

SweetLou1990
04-07-2013, 07:49 AM
i wonder if the Reds FO might get tired of the roller coaster ride Bruce does and try to move Bruce and resign Choo for RF!! Bruce is swinging over pitches and today should have swung at that first meatball in the 10th instead of taking it and swinging badly at the next two not even close to being strikes.. just saying.. it could happen

I like Bruce, I just don't think he is "clutch"

redsfan4486
04-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Can we just give Bruce a break he is still young and he has improved every year he has been in the big leagues. Everybody can't be a model of consistancy like votto.

DocRed
04-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Choo is going to be very hard to sign purely from a financial standpoint because I would guess he is going to command $12-$15 million a year if not more. Who knows though, maybe with added revenue the team would be willing to increase the payroll significantly.

BLEEDS
04-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Choo is going to be very hard to sign purely from a financial standpoint because I would guess he is going to command $12-$15 million a year if not more. Who knows though, maybe with added revenue the team would be willing to increase the payroll significantly.

Fox sports ohio says Hello!!!

Seriously though, if the FO thinks Choo is worth $12-15M, then they'd sign him.
He may be the difference between a playoff appearance and a World Series appearance, surely there is some ROI there, and methinks it's much more than $15M...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mth123
04-07-2013, 01:15 PM

I'm really starting to love having Choo on the team, but Bruce is 26, very productive, a better defender and signed to a reasonable deal for the next 3 years. Choo will be 32 next year and will likely cost several million more per season than Bruce will and probably require a contract longer than his age will justify. I'd like to see the Reds find a way to keep Choo, but moving Bruce to make room doesn't make any sense to me.

mgbrown66
04-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Choo is always on base. What a complete turn around from last year to see production from the lead off position.
Why would Cleveland trade this guy? Wasn't he hurt quite a bit?

Cicero2.0
04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Choo is always on base. What a complete turn around from last year to see production from the lead off position.

I am loving the offense so far. We just won back to back series against legitimate post season threats. Choo getting on base regularly was a big part of that.

Norm Chortleton
04-07-2013, 07:36 PM

2009 = 156 gms
2010 = 144 gms
2011 = 85 gms
2012 = 155 gms

He was on the DL in 2011 for a broken thumb and again for back pain.

Mastodon
04-07-2013, 09:12 PM
This offense we're seeing which is a complete turn around from last year has everything to do with the 2 biggest changes we've made from last year. Choo obviously, and Frazier being our full time 3rd basemen. Those 2 are absolutely tearing it up.

malcontent
04-07-2013, 09:40 PM
This offense we're seeing which is a complete turn around from last year has everything to do with the 2 biggest changes we've made from last year. Choo obviously, and Frazier being our full time 3rd basemen. Those 2 are absolutely tearing it up.
Agree completely. Those are the two spots. What a difference.

If only Ludwick doesn't tear up his shoulder...

mgbrown66
04-09-2013, 11:41 PM
If only Votto would come around...
I think Choo will be a Yankee or Red Sox next year. :(

mattfeet
04-10-2013, 07:34 AM
If only Votto would come around...
I think Choo will be a Yankee or Red Sox next year. :(

NYY are still trying to trim a bunch of excess fat to get their payroll MUCH lower. They will not be in the big-name Free Agent market anytime soon, IMO.

-Matt

tomnuetten
04-10-2013, 07:38 AM
NYY are still trying to trim a bunch of excess fat to get their payroll MUCH lower. They will not be in the big-name Free Agent market anytime soon, IMO.

-Matt

they shouldnīt but who knows... weīre talking about the yankees ;)

mattfeet
04-10-2013, 07:43 AM
I agree, I just dont think they're under the same "buy now pay later" philosophy they have been for so long.

Gallen5862
04-10-2013, 09:45 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

While it's still very preliminary, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes (on Twitter) says that the qualifying offer for the 2013-14 offseason should be right around $14MM. This past offseason, the qualifying offer was worth a little less at $13.3MM.

mgbrown66
04-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I agree, I just dont think they're under the same "buy now pay later" philosophy they have been for so long.

They are going to be paying later for...... forever! They have the worst of the worst contracts..

But if you ever watched the 30 for 30 on George Steinbrenner you know that the Yankees will spend whatever required to field a winner.

Joesh
04-21-2013, 03:54 PM
On base 11 times in past 12 plate appearances... WTF

New York Red
04-21-2013, 04:05 PM
On base 11 times in past 12 plate appearances... WTF
I was just saying that in the game thread. On base 11 times in two games. That has to be in the neighborhood of an all-time record.

Joesh
04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I was just saying that in the game thread. On base 11 times in two games. That has to be in the neighborhood of an all-time record.

For sure- and him and Votto are 1-2 in all of MLB in OBP. Pretty sick.

RedTeamGo!
04-22-2013, 12:34 AM
For sure- and him and Votto are 1-2 in all of MLB in OBP. Pretty sick.

The reds are leading the majors in runs as well. Someone get Harold Reynolds and make him understand walks are good.

Johnny Fan
04-22-2013, 12:54 PM
I had a chance to see Hamilton play yesterday. I don't see anyway he is ML ready nex year. Well let me clarify, he wont be able to step in and do what Choo is doing. So why not lessen the stress, sign Choo, don't tell me we don't have the money we do. Then trade Ludwick, move Choo to Left field, leave him in the 1 spot in the order, play Hamilton in CF and bat him 8th for the 2014 season. Then in 15 bat him second.

R_Webb18
04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
If we sign Choo id bat him 2nd next year and and Billy Hamilton 1

coachpipe
04-22-2013, 01:16 PM

we still dont know that hamilton will be on the roster next season. He still has ALOT of work to do. and by no means will he be putting up any numbers close to what choo has lately. Especially in his rookie year. And yes i am aware of trout and harpers rookie seasons.

KC2135
04-22-2013, 01:47 PM

I don't think that would work. I mean Choo is just really good at taking pitches and getting on base, which is exactly what you want at the top of your lineup.

question:

Do you keep Phillips has the clean up with that lineup?

Old school 1983
04-22-2013, 01:54 PM

If somehow choo and Hamilton end up in the same lineup I'd like to see Hamilton bat 2 and choo 1. Choo gets on base a ton, and can give an instant lead with a leadoff homer. Hamilton would see more fastballs to hit in front if votto. Also he could lay down a bunt to get choo over. Anytime billy lays down a bunt, there is a legitimate chance he'd get on first. So by getting him more fastballs, and by allowing him to bunt a lot, I think the two hole would limit the scope of his hitting weakness while making him a productive player by getting choo over.

Johnny Fan
04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
If somehow choo and Hamilton end up in the same lineup I'd like to see Hamilton bat 2 and choo 1. Choo gets on base a ton, and can give an instant lead with a leadoff homer. Hamilton would see more fastballs to hit in front if votto. Also he could lay down a bunt to get choo over. Anytime billy lays down a bunt, there is a legitimate chance he'd get on first. So by getting him more fastballs, and by allowing him to bunt a lot, I think the two hole would limit the scope of his hitting weakness while making him a productive player by getting choo over.

Yesterday Hamilton bunted the ball almost right back to the pitcher on the first base side and HE still beat it out, both Pitcher and first basemen couldn't believe it...boy got speed.

redsfan4486
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
We should resign choo play him in left. have Hamilton in center but bat him lower in the order to start off to take the pressure off. I believe ludwick is signed for next year that might cause a problem tho.

Australian Red
04-25-2013, 07:09 PM
We should resign choo play him in left. have Hamilton in center but bat him lower in the order to start off to take the pressure off. I believe ludwick is signed for next year that might cause a problem tho.

Would have to agree with this