PDA

View Full Version : Cueto to DL With Strained Lat

reds44
04-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 14s
Source: #Reds' Cueto going on disabled list with lat strain.

Tom Servo
04-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Matt Garza strained his lat in February and is looking to make his season debut for the Cubs in May...

At least Cingrani getting a shot should be exciting.

Wonderful Monds
04-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Matt Garza strained his lat in February and is looking to make his season debut for the Cubs in May...

At least Cingrani getting a shot should be exciting.

It could be so, so much worse.

kaldaniels
04-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Didn't Cueto tweak something in one of his first two starts this year as well. I seem to recall a trainer visit to the mound or Cueto grimacing or something.

TOBTTReds
04-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Didn't Cueto tweak something in one of his first two starts this year as well. I seem to recall a trainer visit to the mound or Cueto grimacing or something.

I believe he was covering first on the play you are thinking of on OD. He studder stepped, and maybe twisted an ankle or something. He seemed fine after though.

Reds Fanatic
04-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Cueto has had a lat problem before. He hurt the right lat back in September 2011 and had to be shut down for the last few weeks of that season.

Roy Tucker
04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Just make sure its properly rehabbed and he eases back into pitching. It's a long season and no need to rush.

RedsfaninMT
04-14-2013, 08:26 PM
What I'm reading is NOT good. Isn't this the same injury he suffered in the playoffs last year?Will wait to hear the severity, but Homer, et al. will have to pick it up big time. Season just doesn't feel right.

R_Webb18
04-14-2013, 08:53 PM
I thought it was an oblique injury last year but I could be wrong.

jredmo2
04-14-2013, 09:02 PM
What I'm reading is NOT good. Isn't this the same injury he suffered in the playoffs last year?Will wait to hear the severity, but Homer, et al. will have to pick it up big time. Season just doesn't feel right.

He had a strained oblique (different back muscle) in the playoffs. Usually an oblique causes a player to miss a month. A strained lat is usually 6-10 weeks. A few times pitchers have come back in less than a month, but I think I remember it ending someone's season too.

HometownHero
04-14-2013, 09:19 PM
6 weeks as a likely minimum blows. Dempster came back from a Lat quick but it was close to the deadline and he sucked the rest of the year after coming back.

MikeThierry
04-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Who is taking his place?

jhu1321
04-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Tony Cingrani from Louisville. Filthy numbers this year.

jredmo2
04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Who is taking his place?

Looks like it'll be Cingrani.

malcontent
04-14-2013, 10:36 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with his Luis Tiant delivery.

powersackers
04-15-2013, 12:19 AM
I wonder if it has anything to do with his Luis Tiant delivery.

The human body is not meant to throw a major league quality pitch period. That's what it has to do with. These things happen. Get well Johnny.

SirFelixCat
04-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Watched the 5th inning again today and Cueto started feeling the pain AT LEAST 3 pitches prior to his last one. From his reactions, it certainly seemed like his back/side was hurting him quite badly. Wish he'd have stopped then. :(

GAC
04-15-2013, 04:34 AM
It's really uncertain, at this point, how long JC will be on the DL because it really depends on the degree/severity of the strain. Last year Roy Halladay spent 6-7 weeks on the DL for a lat strain. Again, it depends on the severity. Rest, mild rehab, anti-inflammatory, and see where it goes. They will be cautious though.

They limited Cingrani's pitch count Sunday, so expect him to be called up.

And I'd have no problem giving the ball to LeCure either.

malcontent
04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Unfortunately, LeCure's not taking the ball these days.

goreds2
04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Louisville Bats

@LouisvilleBats
Mark Prior with a strong 1, 2, 3 inning in his #Bats' debut
8:38 p.m. Fri, Apr 5

EDIT: Opps, just saw these stats.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=407578

cincrazy
04-15-2013, 01:12 PM
I know next to nothing about pitching mechanics and how they effect the body, but is there any chance the twisting motion Cueto developed ala Tiant is causing some of these problems? The oblique, the lat... is it all just a coincidence, or has the development of his new mechanics also led to some physical problems?

Kc61
04-15-2013, 01:23 PM
It's really uncertain, at this point, how long JC will be on the DL because it really depends on the degree/severity of the strain. Last year Roy Halladay spent 6-7 weeks on the DL for a lat strain. Again, it depends on the severity. Rest, mild rehab, anti-inflammatory, and see where it goes. They will be cautious though.

They limited Cingrani's pitch count Sunday, so expect him to be called up.

Lecure isn't a likely starter anymore. Last year he averaged just over an inning per outing. Lifetime less than two innings per outing (over four years in the majors).

Lecure started four games in 2011; zero in 2012.

Lecure started 122 games in the minors, but those days are long gone.

And I don't think he'd hold up as a starter. Sam misses time with injuries fairly often.

The Reds should stay away from the bullpen if looking for another starter. You'll wind up with Parra, who wasn't a good starter. Or Hoover, who will take months to get stretched out.

I"m thinking Cingrani is the first and second choice. Then, if necessary, we'll see how Gallaraga and Corcino are doing at AAA.

Marc D
04-15-2013, 01:37 PM
I know next to nothing about pitching mechanics and how they effect the body, but is there any chance the twisting motion Cueto developed ala Tiant is causing some of these problems? The oblique, the lat... is it all just a coincidence, or has the development of his new mechanics also led to some physical problems?

The twisting motion is really just a pre pitch thing to help him keep his front side closed longer (I assume this to be the reason anyone would do it). It really doesn't change anything with his body through the actual pitch.

I'm not a doctor but these injuries would seem to speak to a general core strength issue if anything.

LexRedsFan
04-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Apparently this Freeman guy is the answer?

Interesting. I was expecting Cingrani and figured he was the obvious choice. Get well soon, Johnny (Please)

cinreds21
04-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Freeman will likely only be up a few days and then Cingrani will start in Cueto's spot.

Cyclone792
04-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Apparently this Freeman guy is the answer?

Interesting. I was expecting Cingrani and figured he was the obvious choice. Get well soon, Johnny (Please)

Freeman will be up to pitch any potential garbage innings the next three nights in order to give the bullpen a rest, then he'll get sent down Thursday with Cingrani coming up. That much said, if the next three games are nail-biters then I doubt we'll see Freeman at all.

NebraskaRed
04-15-2013, 02:28 PM
From Reds official twitter:

Reds disable Cueto (strained right lat), promote RHP Justin Freeman (#53), transfer Ludwick to 60-day disabled list.

LexRedsFan
04-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Freeman will be up to pitch any potential garbage innings the next three nights in order to give the bullpen a rest, then he'll get sent down Thursday with Cingrani coming up. That much said, if the next three games are nail-biters then I doubt we'll see Freeman at all.

Makes much more sense. I was confused to say the least. Thanks.

NebraskaRed
04-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Fay is tweeting that Cueto will miss "3, 4 starts".

Unless he didn't mean to include a comma there, in which case Cueto will miss 34 starts

Blitz Dorsey
04-15-2013, 05:07 PM
This whole thing stinks to high heavens. We lose our cleanup hitter on Opening Day and lose our ace starting pitcher 11 games in. Freakin' wonderful.

I'll be shocked if Cueto only misses 3-4 starts and then comes back healthy.

Boss-Hog
04-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Not that I know anything you guys don't, but I'll also be surprised if it's only three or four starts. I very much hope I'm wrong.

Tony Cloninger
04-15-2013, 05:28 PM
The Cardinals have had a lot more injuries in the last few years. Players have to step up even more now. Lack of depth in the minors does not help...but who knows...maybe Cingriani will pitch like Kershaw.

Reds Fanatic
04-15-2013, 05:41 PM
3 or 4 starts considering the Reds have no off days until early May would basically only have him disabled not much over the 15 day limit. That seems extremely optimistic.

WildcatFan
04-15-2013, 05:43 PM
3 or 4 starts considering the Reds have no off days until early May would basically only have him disabled not much over the 15 day limit. That seems extremely optimistic.

I agree. And any back muscle injury isn't something you want to rush back from. Let the other guys carry it for a month or so and have Cueto work back slowly.

redsfanmia
04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
With the history of the Reds medical staff I expect Cueto to be gone until the all-star break if not gone for the season.

GAC
04-16-2013, 05:08 AM
There are too many variables at play here... such as how severe is the strain?... to say how long he may be out. He could very well only miss 4 starts, or be out till after the AS break. It's gonna be a day-by-day, week-by-week thing, as far as assessment goes. All athletes are not created equal, and neither will their recovery times. We'll know better once he starts a throwing regime again.

The Reds will be cautious though with their Ace and not rush him. And that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

GAC
04-16-2013, 05:14 AM
With the history of the Reds medical staff I expect Cueto to be gone until the all-star break if not gone for the season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1521703-cincinnati-reds-team-health-report-2013-injury-risk-on-every-starter

The Cincinnati Reds used to struggle mightily with injuries, having about 1,000 days lost to players on the disabled list was commonplace prior to 2010. The arrival of current athletic trainer Paul Lessard changed that, dropping the team’s averaged missed days down under 700, which puts them consistently among the best in Major League Baseball.

One of the reasons Lessard, Dr. Tim Kremchek and the rest of the Reds medical staff were presented with the Martin-Monahan Award for the best medical staff in baseball is how quickly he was able to bring the Reds not only up to average but even ahead of the curve.

RiverRat13
04-16-2013, 08:38 AM
There are too many variables at play here... such as how severe is the strain?... to say how long he may be out. He could very well only miss 4 starts, or be out till after the AS break. It's gonna be a day-by-day, week-by-week thing, as far as assessment goes. All athletes are not created equal, and neither will their recovery times. We'll know better once he starts a throwing regime again.

The Reds will be cautious though with their Ace and not rush him. And that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that there are too many things we don't know. Maybe Cueto has a low pain tolerance and his injury is one that someone else would only have missed a start or two. Or the opposite could be true and Cueto is a guy who bounces back quickly.

Kingspoint
04-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Not that I know anything you guys don't, but I'll also be surprised if it's only three or four starts. I very much hope I'm wrong.Agree wholeheartedly. While Dusty's optimism is well received, I just can't see him missing less than 6 starts. Where 36 starts on the season was originally the goal, I see 29 now,...if everything else goes well. Fortunately, the REDS are the most balanced, deepest team in the Majors, and are well prepared to handle these injuries. (my optimism).

It's nice to be back home to play baseball.

NCCardfan
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
GAC's post shocked me! Thanks for sharing that, I didn't know the Reds had a real medical staff, STL has got to be one of the worst staffs in MLB.

I guess I can still hope Cueto stays out for a long time though;), had to say it - just like a Reds fan would have to say that about Carp or Wainwright.

redsfanmia
04-16-2013, 05:12 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1521703-cincinnati-reds-team-health-report-2013-injury-risk-on-every-starter

Honestly this shocks me or maybe I am just remembering prior to 2010 when it seemed every injury was worse than initially diagnosed.

GAC
04-18-2013, 04:41 AM
I guess I can still hope Cueto stays out for a long time though;), had to say it - just like a Reds fan would have to say that about Carp or Wainwright.

And there is nothing wrong with rivalry and friendly competition. Fans thrive on it. ;)

PuffyPig
04-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Agree wholeheartedly. While Dusty's optimism is well received, I just can't see him missing less than 6 starts. Where 36 starts on the season was originally the goal, I see 29 now,...if everything else goes well.

Cueto would have been expected to make 33 starts as long as the Reds ran 5 starters in rotation like last year.

REDREAD
04-18-2013, 11:52 PM
The Cincinnati Reds used to struggle mightily with injuries, having about 1,000 days lost to players on the disabled list was commonplace prior to 2010. The arrival of current athletic trainer Paul Lessard changed that, dropping the team’s averaged missed days down under 700, which puts them consistently among the best in Major League Baseball.

That's only because they don't put hurt players on the DL, they just play short handed..

:laugh: Kidding.. they have improved a lot.

Also, I think the Lindner administration pushed a lot of guys to play before they were ready (Especially Jr). This ended up making some injuries worse.

mth123
04-19-2013, 06:04 AM
I think the fewer injury days is largely because the team is churning out some homegrown talent to fill out the roster instead of signing multiple scrap heap guys who are trying to comeback from injuries they got when they were good players for somebody else. Gambling on 2 or 3 sore armed picthers will probably lead to having at least one on the 60 day DL all season. The fact that the Reds just don't do that at the major league level anymore will drive the days on the DL down quite a bit. I don't really know if the Reds Medical staff is better or worse than anyone else's, but I'd guess the fewer injury days would have happened anyway.