PDA

View Full Version : Devin Mesoraco

Old school 1983
04-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Devin was a top prospect in all of MLB last year, as well as one of the hottest hitters in spring training. I know hanigan works well with the pitchers, but he looks like he's bringing one of dustys toothpicks to the plate. At what point does mes get to at least take on the responsibility of catching at least 3 of the 5 starters? Any thoughts/opinions?

EMAW
04-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Mes did not hit all that well last year and was basically the 3rd catcher by end of season. Hanigan is steady, .275, puts it in play, handles pitchers and keeps things even keel. Why mess with a good thing?

Old school 1983
04-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm not saying to bench the guy completely but hanigan is a guy that pretty much hits the ball through holes in the infield with classic warning track power. I think a lot of mesoracos issues last year were due to inconsistent playing time. The guy might not be the next Johnny bench but he's a lot better than 2 starts in 13 games to a guy that's batting .060 something. I know hanigan isn't that bad but give the dude a day or two to clear his head and give mes a chance to learn the pitchers and get consistent at bats. After all hanigan is a free agent at the seasons end and there's no promise hell come back. Plus if mes gets anywhere near his potential or former prospect ranking, hell be one of the better catchers in the league.

Old school 1983
04-16-2013, 09:13 PM
I guess I was asking at what point would you give Mes more of a look. I'm ready now.

holster10
04-16-2013, 09:22 PM
ha...ha... so you thought the lineup was Dusty-proofed.

Old school 1983
04-16-2013, 09:26 PM
ha...ha... so you thought the lineup was Dusty-proofed.

Haha. At least we are talking about the 8 hole hitter and not the first or second....and you can't deny hanigans baseball IQ behind the plate.

holster10
04-16-2013, 09:28 PM
you're right. that's the very reason Stubbs was given 25 lives in CF.

redsfan4486
04-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Haha. At least we are talking about the 8 hole hitter and not the first or second....and you can't deny hanigans baseball IQ behind the plate.

Hanigans baseball iq will buy quite a bit of time combined with dustys lack of confidence in Mes. Hanigan in the past has been very solid with the bat but I would love to see what Mes could do with the bulk of the time.

RedTeamGo!
04-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Hanigans baseball iq will buy quite a bit of time combined with dustys lack of confidence in Mes. Hanigan in the past has been very solid with the bat but I would love to see what Mes could do with the bulk of the time.

Hanigan has been great for the reds the last few years because of the young pitching staff. Now that the staff has matured, perhaps they do not need him as much and would actually help mesoraco mature behind the plate. I think it's time for mesoraco to get the bulk of the playin time. If not, trade him to the AL so he can actually have the chancd his talent level deserves.

boiseheidleberg
04-17-2013, 08:27 AM
I've heard that some of the starters prefer to pitch to Hanagan. Could it be more that they just hate to throw to Mes? Whatever it is, if he isn't going to get the playing time he needs to be in Louisville getting reps.

Vottomatic
04-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Hanigan has pretty much exclusively caught Bailey since Bailey got hot back last August/September.

The one bad outing for Bailey was his last game. Guess who caught it? Mez.

Obviously it's in Bailey's head that he prefers Hanigan catching for him. I was listening to WLW on my way in this morning and the first comment out of Bailey's mouth was crediting Hanny for calling a great game and them being on the same page all night.

Mez has his work cut out for him breaking into the catching rotation since Hanigan is preferred by Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto. Not sure about Latos. I know Mez catches Leake though. Look at Leake's numbers. Is it Leake, Mez or both?

Edit:
If Hanigan would start hitting to his career numbers, this discussion would be moot for the most part. As long as Hanigan struggles, people will be clamoring for the little-used Mez.

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't see this team going ANYWHERE..and I can say that very confidently if we have three hitting positions batting sub 200. Hanigan,Cozart and Pitcher You win with offense. Until MLB changes the rules so that baseball teams can score runs playing defense. there is no way a player no matter if he's the pitcher favorite continue to start hitting .88 in the lineup playing 11out of13 games. I couldn't make JV baseball with those numbers. If the fan base doesn't rally on this issue we will look back at the end of the season and say "what if". it's a shame the cotton candy, corn puff, local beat writers that cover the team don't hold Dusty's rear to the fire!! but instead try to be friends with the guy to get exclusive interviews, or inside scoops. That's why no local writer goes national because they don't give the fan that uncooked raw prospective that werelooking for. Other cities think we are inbred river people, with low IQs, in a city that is behind in times from the rest of the country. And I can honestly tell you, if the people defend Hanigan over a At one time top prospect in the organization, hitting less than.100 needs to check their family lineage for cousin mating. Because this is common sense..and common sense ain't common apparently.

Vottomatic
04-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Matt Kemp and his .185 batting average say hi. 2012 = .303, 23 HR's
Jason Heyward and his .112 batting average say hi. 2012 = .269, 27 HR's
J Reddick and his .103 batting average say hi. 2012 = .242, 32 HR's.

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
again We don't have a staff of rookie pitchers. if a pitcher doesn't like throwing to Mez that's his problem. I would force their hand. Hit your locations you won't get crushed. it's not the cathers fault. You don't have to go out and eat with the guy, just hit that mitt. And take ownership. this team says they have good chemistry but they have a love affair with hanigan over Mez. Get over it. There are no CY young winners of this staff or 20 game winning hall of famers. You dont get a personal catcher. the goal is to win the ring. One person on staff with a ring is Bronson. Everyone else fall in line. Dusty has over 600 wins managing w/o a ring being player friendly. Trader Jack has one..You tell me who' s ideology works more? Mangers arent BFFs with the players, just because you wear uniforms or wear sweat bands on the bench. I want to witness a world title. I was alive in 90 but vaguely remember it. I want this title this year no excuses.

jhu1321
04-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Well put.

RedTeamGo!
04-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Hanigan has pretty much exclusively caught Bailey since Bailey got hot back last August/September.

The one bad outing for Bailey was his last game. Guess who caught it? Mez.

Obviously it's in Bailey's head that he prefers Hanigan catching for him. I was listening to WLW on my way in this morning and the first comment out of Bailey's mouth was crediting Hanny for calling a great game and them being on the same page all night.

Mez has his work cut out for him breaking into the catching rotation since Hanigan is preferred by Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto. Not sure about Latos. I know Mez catches Leake though. Look at Leake's numbers. Is it Leake, Mez or both?

Edit:
If Hanigan would start hitting to his career numbers, this discussion would be moot for the most part. As long as Hanigan struggles, people will be clamoring for the little-used Mez.

It is Leake. He is a soft tosser with average pitches.

Pudge Rodriguez, Yogi Berra, Yadier Molina and Johnny Bench could catch Leake and it wouldn't matter.

Also, is it not a fact the pitches come from the dugout?

You're damn right people are going to be clamoring for the little used mez. At one point he was ranked the 14th best prospect in baseball and the best catching prospect in baseball. Hanigan is a nobody that came out of nowhere to put up some decent numbers out of the 8 spot. Mesoraco is a potential middle of the order hitter that is wasting away on the bench. I would be furious if I were Mesoraco, at this point the Reds are stealing money from his future grandchildren.

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
I would have bit a hole in my bottom lip if I was in Devin situation. I would would pull a T.O situation and asked off this team. This is pathetic. His game is being stagnant , under Dusty. A man with no Rings and a Bad Rep coming in Cincy. Remember someone took a dump in the dugout where Dusty stands in Chicago. Speaks for itself

PTjvs
04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
I would have bit a hole in my bottom lip if I was in Devin situation. I would would pull a T.O situation and asked off this team. This is pathetic. His game is being stagnant , under Dusty. A man with no Rings and a Bad Rep coming in Cincy. Remember someone took a dump in the dugout where Dusty stands in Chicago. Speaks for itself

I wouldn't take advice on the quality of a manager from an unknown coward who thought it was a good idea to take a dump in a dugout.

jvs

Old school 1983
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Sure it's early, and I don't think hanigan is going to hit .88 or wherever he's at all year. Those guys are potential all stars or MVP candidates every year who are in their 20s, use power as a major part of their game, and are not blocking one of the top prospects at their positions. I wouldn't call Hanigan a complete Punch and Judy, but he doesn't bring much power and he's in his early 30s so honesty his skills are probably going to decline soon. I think it's a little unfair to compare younger all star types players with huge power upside to an older guy who is a tough defensive player, with any offense he produces considered to be a bonus. Especially when he is slumping and playing in front of the premier catching prospect from only a year ago.

Lost in all of this is the fact that we shouldn't just bench hanigan. He's an a very important part of this team. I think another thing that is lost too is that mes isn't a complete dunce behind the plate. Right now we are making a top prospect rusty and if I had to take a guess a little frustrated. If arroyo wants hanigan, I don't have an issue with it. He's the senior statesman of our staff. He's earned that right. Cueto is the ace he has too, but he's out. I just think it'd be a great time to start giving Mes more of a chance. Hanigan is slumping at the plate and one person that prefers hanigan to catch is on the DL. It'd be a great chance to see what mes has on a more consistent basis by letting him catch latos with cingrani and leake as well.

Ron Gant
04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Its the age old question that has been asked around baseball for generations, especially when it comes to young catching prospects playing behind a veteran. At what point do you genuinley commit to the young guy, who by all accounts is "your future" in regards to the position, and start fading out the veteran? Giving Mes token spot starts is not going to help either Mes or the Reds in the long term.

I agree, Hanigan is the better option in regards to defense, but that is because he has played and honed his craft. The only way for Mes to do the same is to play (more than once a week) at the MLB level. Let him catch Cueto and Latos some. Hanigan has done a fine job, don't get me wrong, but the time for Mes to get his shot as a consistent starter is fast approaching. For now though, Mes just has to make the most of his opportunities, one of them being tonight.

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
If you pair Mez up with a pitcher thats WILL BE scuffling to stay in the majors, especially if Cingrani succeeds, and I know he will. Take his place Mez will have no pitchers to catch. How would that help him succeed?

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
your not going to pinch hit for a catcher when you only have two on the team, from threat of injury. How can Mez get any swings to stay sharp? This team had no Problem working in Hernadez or Navarro with Hanigan. How did Hanigan turn into the Buster Posey on this team. Hitting like a slow footed slap hitter with warning track power in the hitter friendly GABP

Vottomatic
04-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Sure it's early, and I don't think hanigan is going to hit .88 or wherever he's at all year. Those guys are potential all stars or MVP candidates every year who are in their 20s, use power as a major part of their game, and are not blocking one of the top prospects at their positions. I wouldn't call Hanigan a complete Punch and Judy, but he doesn't bring much power and he's in his early 30s so honesty his skills are probably going to decline soon. I think it's a little unfair to compare younger all star types players with huge power upside to an older guy who is a tough defensive player, with any offense he produces considered to be a bonus. Especially when he is slumping and playing in front of the premier catching prospect from only a year ago.

Lost in all of this is the fact that we shouldn't just bench hanigan. He's an a very important part of this team. I think another thing that is lost too is that mes isn't a complete dunce behind the plate. Right now we are making a top prospect rusty and if I had to take a guess a little frustrated. If arroyo wants hanigan, I don't have an issue with it. He's the senior statesman of our staff. He's earned that right. Cueto is the ace he has too, but he's out. I just think it'd be a great time to start giving Mes more of a chance. Hanigan is slumping at the plate and one person that prefers hanigan to catch is on the DL. It'd be a great chance to see what mes has on a more consistent basis by letting him catch latos with cingrani and leake as well.

All I'm saying is let's not use a little over 2 weeks of MLB as a barometer of where any MLB hitter is going to end up statistically come the end of September.

If Hanigan is finished as a hitter, we'll know late in the season.

I was hoping Mez would do something to warrant more playing time, like hit better or gain the respect of the pitching staff defensively. All you hear is how much the pitchers like Hanigan behind the plate.

Spring Training is simply Spring Training. The real baseball is going on now. Xavier Paul has done well and there are conversations about putting him in the starting lineup. If Mez was hitting well, more people might be on his bandwagon. But he simply doesn't take advantage of his opportunities.

RedTeamGo!
04-17-2013, 10:15 AM

+1

Took the words right out of my mouth

How is it fair to compare Matt Kemp, a young top 5 player in MLB, to Hanigan?

Also, Reddick and Heyward did not exactly have stellar batting averages. The reason they are considered good is because of their power, which Hanigan has none of.

Vottomatic
04-17-2013, 10:18 AM
+1

Took the words right out of my mouth

How is it fair to compare Matt Kemp, a young top 5 player in MLB, to Hanigan?

Also, Reddick and Heyward did not exactly have stellar batting averages. The reason they are considered good is because of their power, which Hanigan has none of.

The point is it's been a little over 2 weeks.

Impatient much? :laugh:

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 10:20 AM
you can't possible say "if Mez starts to hit well" he could get more playing time. His PA are the lowest on the team. Can you respectfully say catch fire in limited action? This is baseball not the 2013 final four tittle game against Louisville smh

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 10:24 AM

for all the people saying Have patients..whats wrong with starting Mez early against Cueto, Latos and Bailey. If its not that important?

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 10:29 AM
The Same people that defended Stubbs are the same people that defend Hanigan..."Stubbs was a good defender very fast, we need speed". Enters Choo, They're like "Stubbs who?!" I swear on the bible its true. You don't know what you have until you change what you have been doing.

Old school 1983
04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
All I'm saying is let's not use a little over 2 weeks of MLB as a barometer of where any MLB hitter is going to end up statistically come the end of September.

If Hanigan is finished as a hitter, we'll know late in the season.

I was hoping Mez would do something to warrant more playing time, like hit better or gain the respect of the pitching staff defensively. All you hear is how much the pitchers like Hanigan behind the plate.

Spring Training is simply Spring Training. The real baseball is going on now. Xavier Paul has done well and there are conversations about putting him in the starting lineup. If Mez was hitting well, more people might be on his bandwagon. But he simply doesn't take advantage of his opportunities.

I totally agree with you and admitted that 2 weeks isn't a barometer for an entire season when I said I doubt hell it .88 all year. But 2 weeks is a decent amount of baseball for a guy to be in a slump, especially with a guy behind him that may very well turn out to be a better player. I know what hanigan means to this pitching staff and defense. I'm not saying bench him completely. I'm just saying let Mes catch three pitchers a few times through the rotation or maybe evey other turn through the rotation so he can learn all of the reds pitchers and we can gain a real barometer of what he will be at the plate. 2 weeks is t enough to judge but neither is 1 to 2 games started a week for a player who was a hot prospect used to everyday play.

holster10
04-17-2013, 12:01 PM
One thing is for certain, this discussion has been beat to a pulp.

Vottomatic
04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
According to this thread, I guess we better start having Izturis (.230) play everyday over Cozart (.176). ;)

RedTeamGo!
04-17-2013, 12:44 PM

No, not really. Mesoraco should have been playing more going into the season. Hanigan is a poor man's Mike Matheny. Matheny was a good player obviously, but Hanigan is not as good defensively.

RedTeamGo!
04-17-2013, 12:49 PM
According to this thread, I guess we better start having Izturis (.230) play everyday over Cozart (.176). ;)

That is a ridiculous comparison.

Izturis is not one of the top prospects in baseball.

Cozart has upside.

Cozart is does not turn 33 this season.

If we had an elite 24 year old shortstop who was ready to go I think a lot of people would want that prospect to play.

Stray
04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Hanigan is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball and calls great games. I could see why our pitchers would prefer to throw to him. That said, he can't catch em all so we gotta figure out a way to get Mes some work with all of them to get the comfort level up. Jmo.

Old school 1983
04-17-2013, 01:10 PM

Not so much. The situation is completely different. Izturis, a known quantity, is an aging veteran, who, at this point in his career is a backup player.

On the other hand Mez is a top catching prospect who has put up solid offensive numbers with plus power and solid defense on every stop up the system when given consistent playing time.

Having said this, I never once said that hanigan should be benched and Mez be played everyday. I've repeatedly said that I think hanigans numbers will match the back of his baseball card by seasons end as well as his importance to the pitching staff.

What I was saying is that there is no denying hanigan is in a slump right now. Also his backup is a unknown quantity in the majors. And do t point to his numbers last year. We all know they were in a limited sample over inconsistent playing time. We also know that Mez has shown a propensity to struggle a bit when raising levels.

I never said bench hanigan completely. I said allow Mez to gain more consistent at bats and learn a new pitcher by having him catch cingrani, latos, and leake while cueto is out. Arroyo and bailey prefer hanigan, and continue to use him in that position.

By doing this, maybe we can see what Mez can do with done consistent time a d we can know his vie to the big league team while hanigan can take a break clear his head, and get his bat straight.

After that point, maybe when cueto returns we can reasses what we have in Mez. If its a legit major league contributer, then play him more. If its not, then stay the current course, use hanigan more and work towards resigning him after the season is over and develop Barnhart as the catcher of the future.

I'm not making a knee jerk omg hanigan is batting .88 reaction. I want the team to asses a top prospect who may be able to co tribute to the team in a big way so we can move on with the future of the catcher position if hanigan walks at years end.

RedTeamGo!
04-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Hanigan is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball and calls great games. I could see why our pitchers would prefer to throw to him. That said, he can't catch em all so we gotta figure out a way to get Mes some work with all of them to get the comfort level up. Jmo.

I think Hanigan is good defensively but the reason we have such a good pitching staff is because of the talent of the pitchers, not the catcher.

Vottomatic continues to bring up the bad game Homer had, the first four innings of the game he was pitching a shutout. Was Hanigan coaching him from the dugout those 4 innings and then had an emergency bathroom break in the 5th? Perhaps Homer lost his control and it had nothing to with the catcher. But that would be logical, lets blame the rookie!

DWS1125
04-17-2013, 01:17 PM

Some people don't think before they put useless blander on threads, they try defuse and confuse others that are unsure on what decision is the best..without a reasonable doubt if you have a Top prospect with potential superseding the veterans skill set waiting in the wings, that hasn't been given a years worth of work in the majors yet. We have a problem! Bottom line..we all love a Rags to Riches story. And Hanigan is one of them. But Hanigan learned his skill by playing! Thats it!...he didn't learned in the exact situation Mez is sitting in right now

Jamz
04-17-2013, 01:24 PM
I would run Mesoraco with Cueto and Arroyo. They're experienced enough to help Mesoraco out, and shouldn't be affected too much by Hannigan. Meanwhile Latos, Bailey and Leake can all benefit from having Hannigan behind the plate.

Vottomatic
04-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Some people don't think before they put useless blander on threads, they try defuse and confuse others that are unsure on what decision is the best..without a reasonable doubt if you have a Top prospect with potential superseding the veterans skill set waiting in the wings, that hasn't been given a years worth of work in the majors yet. We have a problem! Bottom line..we all love a Rags to Riches story. And Hanigan is one of them. But Hanigan learned his skill by playing! Thats it!...he didn't learned in the exact situation Mez is sitting in right now

Geez. That's why there is a winking smilie accommodating that post.

People need to calm down and get more of a sense of humor.

It's a friggin' baseball game. "There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done besides worrying about a football (baseball) game.". (Sam Wyche)

Yes, I realize Izturis is a journeyman backup utility player. Yes, I realize the difference between a 30+ year old Hanigan and prospect Mez.

What many don't seem to realize is it's 2+ weeks into the season. No reason to panic. Same friggin' team mostly as last year. Similar start to last year. Give it time.

RedTeamGo!
04-17-2013, 02:10 PM

It's a friggin' baseball game. "There's golf to be played and tennis to be served up and other things to be done besides worrying about a football (baseball) game.". (Sam Wyche)

Yes, I realize Izturis is a journeyman backup utility player. Yes, I realize the difference between a 30+ year old Hanigan and prospect Mez.

What many don't seem to realize is it's 2+ weeks into the season. No reason to panic. Same friggin' team mostly as last year. Similar start to last year. Give it time.

Has nothing to do with the record. I think the team would be better and more entertaining playing the top catching prospect rather than an aging nobody.

Old school 1983
04-17-2013, 02:25 PM

I'm not panicking at all. I know it's April and in baseball things have a way of evening out. I'm not knocking hanigan. I love the way he approaches the game. I really just don't think Mez is getting the shot that his minor league performance, potential talent and his former prospect ranking denote he should.

Vottomatic
04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
And I disagree with both of you because it's early and Mez has yet to show me anything offensively or defensively.

bounty37h
04-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Has nothing to do with the record. I think the team would be better and more entertaining playing the top catching prospect rather than an aging nobody.

I have agreed with some of your points, but have to say I question your baseball knowledge calling Hanny being an aging nobody. He is one of the best defensive catchers in the game.

RedTeamGo!
04-17-2013, 04:13 PM
I have agreed with some of your points, but have to say I question your baseball knowledge calling Hanny being an aging nobody. He is one of the best defensive catchers in the game.

He is old and a lesser known player that came out of nowhere.

Old school 1983
04-17-2013, 04:15 PM
And I disagree with both of you because it's early and Mez has yet to show me anything offensively or defensively.

He has to get to play to show that. Last game he was in a remember him accounting for two runs and hitting a double off the wall. He has two RBI in 2 games. More than 5 times less than it took hanigan to get the same amount. I like hanigan, I think he'll be ok, but Mez has some serious potential that is rotting on the bench. I'm not saying play Mez because hanigan is in an early season funk, I'm saying play him more because he has the potential to be one of the best catchers in the league and the reds aren't doing themselves or Mes any favors by playing him once every 7 games.

redsfan4486
04-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Let mesoraco catch leake and cingrani if he starts tearing it up give him another pitcher if he doesnt hit then the discussion is over. If hanigan starts hitting .275 then he no question Hanigan deserves to start.

cincyredway
04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Gonna be hard to keep him out of lineup , he looks great at the plate right now.

DocRed
04-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Gonna be hard to keep him out of lineup , he looks great at the plate right now.

Not really.

~Duhhsty

xsteve1
04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I hope he becomes a good player but we've heard people clamor for Heisey the last few years and never realized he's a platoon player. Mes needs to show consistency before earning additional playing time.

Old school 1983
04-17-2013, 09:44 PM
I hope he becomes a good player but we've heard people clamor for Heisey the last few years and never realized he's a platoon player. Mes needs to show consistency before earning additional playing time.

To show consistency a little more consistent playing time is needed. In heisey's case, he was a solid minor leaguer but im pretty sure he wasn't an MLB top 20 prospect like Mez. (Plus no one really knew he wasn't cut out to play everyday until he had the opportunity to do so. Sure their were predictions but it seemed pretty split amongst the reds fans I talked to. I wasn't a member here last year.) So i think that should play into him getting a chance. Mez offers way more upside than heisey IMO. The call for heisey to start everyday was so immense because drew Stubbs had serious strike out issues for years. I'd just like to see Mez get three starts every now and then through the rotation so we can get a real idea of what kind of major league player he is instead of guessing based on vast potential.

dougdirt
04-17-2013, 09:45 PM

Chris Heisey was never in the same class of player than Devin Mesoraco was. Chris Heisey was never considered a Top 100 prospect in the game and was considered by almost all "prospect gurus" a good 4th outfielder. Devin Mesoraco on the flip side was a Top 15 prospect in the game, the best prospect at his position in the game and considered to be a future All-Star by nearly every "prospect guru" around. Terrible comparison.

Jamz
04-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Mesoraco is a special player. His bat plays at any position, and if Hannigan can groom him a little bit and teach him some presence behind the plate he can be a very, very special catcher.

Old school 1983
04-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Mesoraco is a special player. His bat plays at any position, and if Hannigan can groom him a little bit and teach him some presence behind the plate he can be a very, very special catcher.

Exactly! It's not one player against the other. Both can be contributors. It's developing mesoracos potential into the best player he can be through working together. In order to do this, I think he not only needs to work with hanigan but use what he's learned in more game situations b

Kiko
04-17-2013, 11:26 PM
If they both stay healthy this year then I think you'll see Mes getting more starts as the season progresses but Hannigan will still be the primary. Next year Mes will be the primary catcher. JMO.

Goose
04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
I really like Hanigan, but also like Mesoraco's potential. I expect Hanigan's bat to warm up and Mesoraco is looking good swinging the bat. The Reds should get very good production out of the catcher position this year if Dusty will ride the hot hand better. I do expect the roles to be reversed next year at the latest.

Vottomatic
04-18-2013, 12:24 PM
It was good to see Mez hit. But it was one game.

Need more consistency out of him.

RedTeamGo!
04-18-2013, 01:16 PM

That is impossible if he doesn't play - we need Dusty to be more consistent with giving him opportunities. If he doesn't start tonight it will be ridiculous.

Old school 1983
04-18-2013, 02:14 PM

It was two games in a row where he's hit well. Just hard to remember the last one because it was a week ago. ;)

I'm being facetious. Lets hope he continues to perform and earn a spot as the starting catcher because he has tremendous upside. I think I his minor league performance as earned him the opportunity to have a legit shot at the job.

Taco
04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Devin is catching tonight. He deserves the start.

coachpipe
04-18-2013, 03:03 PM
With Mes bat hopefully heating up i would really look to add mes to atleast 1 more pitcher. Maybe Arroyo? I feel bailey needs someone more mature behind the plate, just in case he gets flustered and angered like he is prone to do mid game. (i like a little attitude in my pitchers) So with that said. That may take Latos out of the equation also. But Id like to think when Cueto gets back he can pitch to anyone. So maybe add Mes to him and keep him on Leake and any "new" pitchers we bring in that we plan on having in the future to build the relationships between our future pitchers and catcher. Maybe have him catch for bronson if not cueto..or maybe both and have hanigan sharing duties with bronson since he will most likely be gone next year

Jamz
04-19-2013, 01:40 AM
Mesoraco is interesting. He has a bat, and history of batting, that actually plays pretty much anywhere. If he can avoid taking too much wear and tear from his position he could be an elite catcher in the MLB. Even more he offers a good bat to replace Joey on maintenance days, or be a designated hitter.

RedTeamGo!
04-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Mesoraco is interesting. He has a bat, and history of batting, that actually plays pretty much anywhere. If he can avoid taking too much wear and tear from his position he could be an elite catcher in the MLB. Even more he offers a good bat to replace Joey on maintenance days, or be a designated hitter.

Mesoraco should play 3/5 days moving forward. No reason not to play him.

BigJohn
04-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Amen to that!!

It is time!

:thumbup:

boiseheidleberg
04-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Looking so good the last two games with the bat. And hey, if you're going to give Hannagan credit for well pitched games you've got to give Mes some credit for Leake's dominate performance and getting the rook Cingrani through five innings. Hannagan will come around at the plate and will always be stout on defense so our catching going forward looks beefy.

KC2135
04-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Mesoraco should play 3/5 days moving forward. No reason not to play him.

agreed

JKam
04-19-2013, 06:48 PM
At this point I would just play the hot hand the majority of the time. For now that seems to be Mesoraco. Doesn't mean Hannigan shouldn't play at all, but Mesoraco is the hot hand and the Reds should ride it until he cools down, especially in light of Hannigans sore left hand.

At some point Dusty has to get off of personal catchers. Either catcher should be able to work with any pitcher, or at least that is what he should strive for.

cincyredway
04-19-2013, 07:44 PM
When Bruce and Frazier got hits I was wishing mes was in the lineup instead of hanigan. Our lineup looks so much more dangerous right now with mes than hanigan. Not tryin to bash on hanny but mes looks really good at the plate right now.

cincyredway
04-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Mes in lineup today catching arroyo, saying hanny is still having problems with his thumb that got hit in St. Louis, but I think it is more than that I think it is just getting mes in the lineup to catch 3 of 5 days. I think it is a great move.

Joesh
04-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Mes is gonna have to work overtime most likely these next few days!!!

RedTeamGo!
04-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Hanigan to the dl, mesoraco's time to prove himself!

Old school 1983
05-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm looking through some of these threads about the reds struggles in April a d the catcher position comes out?!?! I hope they are referring to hanigan and corky. Mez is showing more plate discipline and selective ness than anyone on the team not named Votto Phillips or Choo. When he does hit it, it's harder than anything hanigan or miller could ever think about connecting for at any point in their careers. So perhaps, especially while hanigan is down and we are currently missing our biggest right handed threat, he needs to play more than two games in a row and see if the power comes. I like his approach and it'd just be a matter of time if he gets to play.

cincyredway
05-04-2013, 10:41 AM
I see corky miller is in the lineup again today, I know mes hasn't been tearing it up , but come on , I like corky as a person but he gives u almost nothing offensively, and he is not very good defensively either, I would think mes should b out there almost everyday, especially with cingrani pitching, if they keep cingrani up, wouldn't mes b the one catching him, u would think u would want them tobe familiar with each other.

Old school 1983
05-04-2013, 12:00 PM
I see corky miller is in the lineup again today, I know mes hasn't been tearing it up , but come on , I like corky as a person but he gives u almost nothing offensively, and he is not very good defensively either, I would think mes should b out there almost everyday, especially with cingrani pitching, if they keep cingrani up, wouldn't mes b the one catching him, u would think u would want them tobe familiar with each other.

100% agree. I also think if Mez saw some consistent time he'd start hitting for more power. With ludwick out the reds could use a right handed power guy to step up. Frazier has been streaky but at least he's getting a real everyday chance. Mez was a better prospect. Give him an everyday chance too

RedlegJake
05-04-2013, 07:03 PM
3 games in 5. PH for Corky or pitcher in other 2. You need to conserve your catcher for a long season. Corky should never see more time than 1 or 2 games in 5.

reds700
05-04-2013, 07:08 PM
He rarely plays when Hannigan is healthy yet corky gets more PT in backup role than Mes gets in backup role. Makes no sense.

xsteve1
05-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I really thought Mes was going to hit for power. Time will tell if he's the answer at catcher but right now he's a good defensive catcher that struggles at the plate.

Old school 1983
05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
I really thought Mes was going to hit for power. Time will tell if he's the answer at catcher but right now he's a good defensive catcher that struggles at the plate.

I really don't think he's struggling. He has a good obp. He seems to have decent place discipline. It's takes time. Consistent playing time to get comfortable at the plate. The most he plays in a row is two days.

Vottomatic
06-12-2013, 04:35 PM
.248, 3 HR's, .720 OPS having played more than Hanigan.

Old school 1983
06-13-2013, 09:35 AM
.248, 3 HR's, .720 OPS having played more than Hanigan.

Still better than hanigans line. :p