PDA

View Full Version : MLB Pension Plan

texasdave
04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
The MLB Pension Plan:

Major League Baseball must have one of the sweetest retirement deals around. Get this: you only have to play 43 days in the Bigs in order to qualify for a $34,000 annual pension! 43 days!!! And did I mention the healthcare? You only need one day in the majors to get lifetime healthcare coverage! (Obviously the fix for the healthcare crisis is to let everybody play in the majors for a day...)The pension plan maxes out at $185,000 for those with 10 or more years in the league. Although the average baseball career only lasts about 5-and-a-half years, I don't think they'll be doing too badly. (Plus, the average salary is $3.3 million.)

Looks pretty good to me. And I love the author's suggestion that everyone play in the majors for a day.

mattfeet
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
So, crazy question, but does the guy who signed for 1AB last year with the Marlins get healthcare for life?

cumberlandreds
04-25-2013, 10:39 AM
So, crazy question, but does the guy who signed for 1AB last year with the Marlins get healthcare for life?

I would say so. He played one day in the majors. He probably qualified the original day he was hit by pitch and didn't get to finish the AB.

bellhead
04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
The fox guys were talking about Corky hitting 200 games the other day and mentioned every game counting toward your pension...

texasdave
04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
The fox guys were talking about Corky hitting 200 games the other day and mentioned every game counting toward your pension...

I think the Fox guys are wrong. I think it is based on days on an active roster. If it was determined by number of games played, starting pitchers would be getting the short end of the stick.

westofyou
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
I think the Fox guys are wrong. I think it is based on days on an active roster. If it was determined by number of games played, starting pitchers would be getting the short end of the stick.

It is based on service time period, not games played.

One of the reasons some guys return to the game as coaches is to add service time (as noted by Jim Bouton in Ball Four when talking about Eddie O'Brien)

oneupper
04-25-2013, 12:11 PM
This is funded by whom? The teams or MLBPA?

westofyou
04-25-2013, 12:19 PM
This is funded by whom? The teams or MLBPA?

Both I believe