PDA

View Full Version : Dusty's Pinch Hitting Calls

HUHUH
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
April 26 game, Reds down 1-0 in the 8th (getting one-hit by Zimmerman), Corky at the plate. Shouldn't Dusty have pinch hit for Corky here? If Corky gets on, he is going to be removed for a pinch-runner, so why not remove him for a pinch-hitter? The only reason to let him bat in this case would be if you are hoping for a long-ball from him. Don't know the stats, but I'm not too confident that Corky is going deep. And Dusty had Cozart, Mesoraco and Heisey on the bench: guys who can go deep. Corky gets a walk and is removed for a pinch-runner. A wasted opportunity.

Then in the ninth, second batter up is Izturis. Again, I'm thinking pinch-hitter: Cozart or Heisey. But Izturis bats and pops up to third base.

Your last 6 outs in a 1-0 game and you waste two of them with your worst hitters, when other options are available. This kind of management (along with playing 3 bench guys because its a "day game after a night game", or leaving Arroyo in for 6 innings when he was getting pounded for, as Dusty himself said, "that was big time for Bronson to save our bullpen") makes me think that there are times when Dusty just throws in the towel.

Captain13
04-29-2013, 03:35 PM
I agree with your assesment of the PH opportunities, but leaving Bronson in was the right thing to do. Sometimes you have to give up a battle to win the war and the bullpen has been overworked. I really believe the job of the manager is to manage the people more than the game and Dusty does a great job of that. Many people have said on this board that a manager's in game decisions will only affect 3-5 games a year and I believe that.

Vottomatic
04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Second guessing Dusty can make your head fall off. I suggest not doing it.

HUHUH
04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
I agree with your assesment of the PH opportunities, but leaving Bronson in was the right thing to do. Sometimes you have to give up a battle to win the war and the bullpen has been overworked. I really believe the job of the manager is to manage the people more than the game and Dusty does a great job of that. Many people have said on this board that a manager's in game decisions will only affect 3-5 games a year and I believe that.

Not that I disagree with leaving in Arroyo either, but "praising" Arroyo after he's stunk it up? Oh yeah, I forgot: Dusty is a "players" manager.

NebraskaRed
04-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Not that I disagree with leaving in Arroyo either, but "praising" Arroyo after he's stunk it up? Oh yeah, I forgot: Dusty is a "players" manager.

I think he was giving him a bit of praise for keeping it together and not continuing to melt down like he did in the 3rd inning.

Is Baker happy about Arroyo's performance in that game? Of course not. But it happens. Baker found something nice to say about Arroyo's performance and said it to reporters. Not sure what's wrong with that.

HUHUH
04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Is Baker happy about Arroyo's performance in that game? Of course not.

And how do we know this? Dusty did not say it. His comments implied the opposite.

NebraskaRed
04-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Okay. Message John Fay or Mark Sheldon and tell them to make sure and ask Dusty whether he's happy when they win and whether he's unhappy when they lose. Then you can know for sure.

Griffey012
04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
While I would have liked to see Mez at the plate over Miller, I could care less right now between Heisey, Cozart, and Izturis at the plate. Frankly, they all stink right now. I'd rather pinch hit Leake, because I actually have more confidence in him to get a hit and not ground into a dp.

PuffyPig
04-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Baker doesn't use his 2nd catcher until he has no choice. Like it or not, he's pretty predictable that way.

HUHUH
04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Baker doesn't use his 2nd catcher until he has no choice. Like it or not, he's pretty predictable that way.

But it was obvious that if Cork reached base, there would be a pinch runner and the second catcher is in the game regardless. Dusty knew that. So what's the point of letting Miller bat?

PuffyPig
04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
But it was obvious that if Cork reached base, there would be a pinch runner and the second catcher is in the game regardless. Dusty knew that. So I repeat: what's the point of letting Miller bat?

Dusty may not have put in a pinch runner for his catcher.

HUHUH
04-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Dusty may not have put in a pinch runner for his catcher.

Corky on base with the tying run in the 8th? Have you seen him run?

PuffyPig
04-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Corky on base with the tying run in the 8th? Have you seen him run?

Have you seen Baker manage?

HUHUH
04-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Have you seen Baker manage?

touché

smixsell
04-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Second guessing Dusty can make your head fall off. I suggest not doing it.

:):thumbup: