PDA

View Full Version : "Sharky" Rogers

Vottomatic
04-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Can some give me what his pitching arsenal is, and how he projects as a major leaguer?

Thanks.

klw
04-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I fully expect to see that he has a hammerhead curve, a fastball with teeth, and a slider with a bite.

texasdave
04-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I fully expect to see that he has a hammerhead curve, a fastball with teeth, and a slider with a bite.

That combination of pitches has been successful for eons. And I am pretty certain that he is aggressive on both sides of the plate and really pounds the strike zone.

Vottomatic
04-29-2013, 05:26 PM

So much for my answer. :confused:

TOBTTReds
04-29-2013, 06:07 PM
That combination of pitches has been successful for eons. And I am pretty certain that he is aggressive on both sides of the plate and really pounds the strike zone.

Did you really miss what he was saying?

JaxRed
04-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Leadoff hitter strikes out on 3 pitches. On his way to dugout, he tells the next hitter....

"You're gonna need a bigger bat".

lollipopcurve
04-29-2013, 07:49 PM
He's fastball-slider, if I remember correctly. Supposedly a groundball guy. In the mold of Zach Stewart with not quite the same velocity.

Vottomatic
04-29-2013, 08:14 PM
He's fastball-slider, if I remember correctly. Supposedly a groundball guy. In the mold of Zach Stewart with not quite the same velocity.

In other words, he's a future Cy Young winner. Got it.

klw
04-30-2013, 06:47 AM
So much for my answer. :confused:

Sorry to derail things earlier. This is what Doug has for a write up:
http://redsminorleagues.com/2012/10/31/redsminorleagues-com-2013-top-prospects-list-11-15/

The Good: He pounds the bottom of the strikezone and generates a high rate of groundballs with an above-average fastball. He can use his above-average slider as an out pitch when he needs a strikeout. While I didn’t see it while he was in Bakersfield, he was throwing a third pitch while in Pensacola leaving open the chance he can remain a starter.

Needs to work on: Developing a third pitch better in order to remain a starter.

RedlegJake
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Like his fb. Seems to have that "heavy" quality that sinks a bit and helps keep it in the park. I see a very real possibility he takes Leake's place eventually as Mike starts to get expensive. Corcino bust insurance.

Vottomatic
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
E.r.a. now down to 1.51 at Pensacola. WHIP at 0.90. Good control.

What's it going to take for "Sharky" to be taken seriously?

dougdirt
05-08-2013, 01:19 PM
E.r.a. now down to 1.51 at Pensacola. WHIP at 0.90. Good control.

What's it going to take for "Sharky" to be taken seriously?

Define "seriously". I had him ranked 10th in the system coming into the 2013 season.

And just so we are correct, his ERA went UP to 1.51 yesterday after allowing a run in 5 innings.

HokieRed
05-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Where's Rogers now on the Reds organization starting pitching depth chart? Is he now 7th behind Leake (or Cingrani)? if one more of the Reds rotation had an injury that would require missing several starts, would it be Rogers or one of the Louisville guys (if it's only one or two turns, I'm assuming roster considerations would probably favor Villareal)? How soon will Rogers get moved to AAA? Will he be good enough by the end of the season that the FO could consider moving Leake (or one of the other starters) even if Arroyo is not re-signed? In other words, could he be penciled in as next year's #5 (Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cingrani, Rogers)?

Vottomatic
05-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Define "seriously". I had him ranked 10th in the system coming into the 2013 season.

And just so we are correct, his ERA went UP to 1.51 yesterday after allowing a run in 5 innings.

I had him higher than 10th.

dougdirt
05-08-2013, 10:07 PM
I had him higher than 10th.

Well how serious does someone need to take him to be "taken seriously" if being top 10 isn't serious?

Vottomatic
05-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Well how serious does someone need to take him to be "taken seriously" if being top 10 isn't serious?

Seriously? :D

Doug, my "seriously" comment wasn't directed at you.

Reds don't have him even listed on their website in their top 20 prospects.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/index.jsp?c_id=cin#list=cin

Probably an oversight, or simply pushing their other prospects. But certainly Rogers is top 10. And with Cingrani with the major league club, based on Rogers numbers right now, he'd have to be in the top 3 prospects "closest to the majors", wouldn't you think? I don't include veteran pickups like Galarraga or Hessman or retreads. I'm talking true Reds developed prospects.

dougdirt
05-08-2013, 11:41 PM
The Reds have nothing at all to do with that list. They aren't pushing anyone with that list, it was done by a guy who works for MLB.com.

Vottomatic
05-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Rhe Reds have nothing at all to do with that list. They aren't pushing anyone with that list, it was done by a guy who works for MLB.com.

That makes sense. :thumbup:

dougdirt
05-08-2013, 11:52 PM
That makes sense. :thumbup:

Except for that typo I made....

Vottomatic
05-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Doug,

I read your analysis of Rogers. You say he's a groundball pitcher, which would play well in GABP.

Do you see Rogers making it to the majors as a starter? You also said he is developing a third pitch which lead you to believe he can make it as a starter.

Do you think he'll make it someday? What's his ceiling.......a #3, 4, or 5?

dougdirt
05-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I am working on something about Rogers right now for the website, though it may not be up until next week. I don't want to get into it until after that runs.

Vottomatic
05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
I am working on something about Rogers right now for the website, though it may not be up until next week. I don't want to get into it until after that. Besides, I got the runs.

You got the runs?

;) :p :laugh:

dougdirt
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
You got the runs?

;) :p :laugh:

Every day. Life is tough.

texasdave
05-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe 'Corky' Miller has some advice for you. :D

RedlegJake
08-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Bumped because Sharky is starting to handle AAA hitters as well as he did AA. This guy is going to be one of those kids that "surprises" everyone in the media when he arrives, much like Cingrani. Call me a believer, I'm buying the kool-aid.

Tom Servo
08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Bumped because Sharky is starting to handle AAA hitters as well as he did AA. This guy is going to be one of those kids that "surprises" everyone in the media when he arrives, much like Cingrani. Call me a believer, I'm buying the kool-aid.
I don't think Sharky has the same upside as Cingrani, but I think he can be a solid MLB starter in the vein of a Jake Westbrook or Jon Garland. Which I'll take any day of the week either in the rotation or as trade bait (pun partially intended).

bellhead
08-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Pitching Depth in the minors is looking pretty good...

08-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Reds have been lacking guys like Rogers for awhile. Never going to be a star, but a decent chance of being a nice role player in the majors for a few years. Good organizations produce guys like that in bunches every year. They provide cheap production as the 20-25th men on a roster, and are great trading chips.

11larkin11
08-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Reminds me a lot of how LeCure was projected, handled, and ultimately performed coming up. Although Sam was a much higher draft pick.

dougdirt
08-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Reminds me a lot of how LeCure was projected, handled, and ultimately performed coming up. Although Sam was a much higher draft pick.

LeCure had a better chance to start IMO. More pitches.

bellhead
08-06-2013, 11:41 PM
LeCure had a better chance to start IMO. More pitches.

Do you see him as a solid bullpen guy next year?

mdccclxix
08-07-2013, 10:12 AM
What is his FB velocity and does it have movement?

Benihana
08-07-2013, 10:15 AM

Agree with this. Rogers seems to me he could be a quality long reliever/5th starter type (and there's nothing wrong with that) or at worst a Greg Reynolds AAAA type. Either way, not a bad guy to have in the system by any means.

RedTeamGo!
08-07-2013, 10:18 AM
He will be packaged in a trade in the offseason

Benihana
08-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I think that Drew Cisco could be the next Chad Rogers/Sam LeCure.

*BaseClogger*
08-07-2013, 10:32 AM
I don't think Sharky has the same upside as Cingrani, but I think he can be a solid MLB starter in the vein of a Jake Westbrook or Jon Garland. Which I'll take any day of the week either in the rotation or as trade bait (pun partially intended).

Question: how does one partially intend a pun?

RedlegJake
08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I wasn't comparing him directly to Tony...not the same kind of pitcher at all. I was more comparing the splash he might make but Leake as a rookie would have been a better comp and they are more comparable as pitchers. Rogers needs a good changeup and maybe a wrinkle on his fastball or a slider. He has 2 quality pitches and 1 he's working on right now. IMO, it's how well that third pitch becomes as to his starting or relieving.

Tom Servo
08-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Question: how does one partially intend a pun?
In my book it means it was unintended when I began to type it, but midway through I realized it and I liked it a lot.

dougdirt
08-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Do you see him as a solid bullpen guy next year?

I believe that he could be, but I don't know that they will need him. His FB/SL will certainly play.