PDA

View Full Version : What about Mark Trumbo?

TitosLoveChild
05-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Young right handed power hitter. Club controlled for 3 years after this season.

Angels are desperate for pitching.

Bailey and Ludwick for Trumbo and Richards.

This accomplishes a couple things for the Reds. They get their power bat, get out of Ludwicks contract and have a cost controlled left fielder for the next four years. This could allow the Reds to budget a Choo contract. It also would have been unlikely to resign Latos, Cueto and Bailey. Bailey seemed like the most eager to go to free agency. Richards is a power arm who hasnt figured it out yet but has great "stuff." Future rotation Latos, Cueto, Leake, Cingrani, Richards.

For the Angels, their starting pitching is atrocious. They are using Barry Enright, Jerome Williams and Joe Blanton in their rotation. Bailey slides is as their #2 behind Jered Weaver and gives them a fighting chance at saving their season.

DavidMemphis
05-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Personally, no way I give up Bailey. We've spent the past several years after drafting him, grooming him to live up to the pitcher we had hoped - and he just now has. To me that's like hiring someone, spending money to train them, then letting them walk. Now if we were going to get a Miguel Cabrera or another superstar, then yes. But Trumbo is also a strike-out machine (see adam dunn), with the same avg as Bruce, and less defense in my opinion.

As I've said, we have some young guys, let's see what they can do. Minus Ludwick (which is a HUGE injury), this team was one hiccup away from the NLCS last year. Don't understand the feeling that we need to make a major trade at this point in the season. Would it be nice to have an extra bat that has been void due to injury - yes. But I say let's stand pat for awhile and see what happens.

Old school 1983
05-15-2013, 04:52 PM
I considered trumbo earlier as a possible solution but he seems to match the feast or famine, low contact high strike out theme that the reds have and doesn't bring a great glove either. I'd pass. We should focus on guys that if they K a lot bring a high OBP and bring a glove. I'd idealistically like a good disciplined hitter who doesn't K a lot and does those things.

SpiritofStLouis
05-15-2013, 04:52 PM
I don't think there's any way the Halos let Trumbo go. He's been their best power hitter so far this season, and with Albert's fragile feet, he might end up playing a lot of 1st base this summer.

FWIW, it would take more than Luddy and Bailey.

Vottomatic
05-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Trumbo has some Stanton and Latos qualities about his situation, in that he's under control until 2017. He's cheap. It would take a lot to get him.

I'm not crazy about his low OBP. But a lot of HR hitters have low OBP.

DavidMemphis
05-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I don't think there's any way the Halos let Trumbo go. He's been their best power hitter so far this season, and with Albert's fragile feet, he might end up playing a lot of 1st base this summer.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't trade Bailey straight up for Trumbo AND a prospect. Completely disagree with this assessment (more than ludwick AND Bailey for Trumbo?) Really? No offense, but that's assanine. If you hear players talk around the league, Homer Bailey is one of the best kept 'secrets' in MLB. He would be a number one starter on many clubs. Has great stuff. Is he great all the time? No, but he's worth far more than a .268 hitter who strikes out a ton. Just my opinion.

Beltway
05-15-2013, 08:15 PM

I think the Angels would be stupid to turn down Trumbo for Bailey, straight up. Bailey would be the #2 (with #1 potential) on that staff once Weaver comes back...and Weaver isn't getting any younger.

The Reds would be silly to make this trade. As frustrating as the left field offense might be right now, the Reds are probably best off sticking with what they've got for the time being.

Looking to the offseason, the Cardinals are unlikely to sign Beltran. Yes he's got health issues, but the guy can still rake when he's healthy. The Reds should make a run at him. That's a potential solution that wouldn't cost the Reds a prospect.

SpiritofStLouis
05-15-2013, 08:17 PM
For what it's worth, I wouldn't trade Bailey straight up for Trumbo AND a prospect. Completely disagree with this assessment (more than ludwick AND Bailey for Trumbo?) Really? No offense, but that's assanine. If you hear players talk around the league, Homer Bailey is one of the best kept 'secrets' in MLB. He would be a number one starter on many clubs. Has great stuff. Is he great all the time? No, but he's worth far more than a .268 hitter who strikes out a ton. Just my opinion.

You could be right, maybe Bailey and someone other than Luddy. At this point, you don't know what you'll get from him this year.

DavidMemphis
05-15-2013, 08:25 PM
You could be right, maybe Bailey and someone other than Luddy. At this point, you don't know what you'll get from him this year.

By the prospect, I meant Bailey 'and' an Angels prospect. Wouldn't trade Bailey for Trumbo straight up, OR for Trumbo and one of THEIR prospects. Just clarifying as it seemed you thought that I meant Bailey and one of OUR prospects. No way. Keep Trumbo - Beltway said it well - Bailey for Trumbo? Heck no.

Old school 1983
05-15-2013, 08:27 PM
By the prospect, I meant Bailey 'and' an Angels prospect. Wouldn't trade Bailey for Trumbo straight up, OR for Trumbo and one of THEIR prospects. Just clarifying as it seemed you thought that I meant Bailey and one of OUR prospects. No way. Keep Trumbo - Beltway said it well - Bailey for Trumbo? Heck no.

Agreed. The halos can keep trumbo. The only player on that team I'd want is trout and that ain't happening.

Beltway
05-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Agreed. The halos can keep trumbo. The only player on that team I'd want is trout and that ain't happening.
I'd take Aybar over Cozart, even with the $8 million/year price tag.

Old school 1983
05-15-2013, 08:55 PM
I'd take Aybar over Cozart, even with the $8 million/year price tag.

Cozart is just out of place in the lineup. If he bats 8th I'm ok with him considering his defense.

Vottomatic
05-15-2013, 10:11 PM
I'd take Trumbo for some of our prospects, but not top prospects. I'd probably trade Leake straight up for him.

And the Angels wouldn't do it, so it ain't happening.

TitosLoveChild
05-16-2013, 01:01 AM

1) Of Latos, Cueto and Bailey, I think Bailey will be the hardest to resign. I just get a feeling he is leaving as a free agent.

2) I think Ludwick will not be an asset by the end of this season. 34 year old off a major injury.

3) Garret Richards is the Angels best pitching prospect. I think he has a great arm.

4) Saying Trumbo is a .268 hitter who strikes out a ton is like saying Baily is a .500 pitcher with a 4.40 era.

Old school 1983
05-16-2013, 08:40 AM
1) Of Latos, Cueto and Bailey, I think Bailey will be the hardest to resign. I just get a feeling he is leaving as a free agent.

2) I think Ludwick will not be an asset by the end of this season. 34 year old off a major injury.

3) Garret Richards is the Angels best pitching prospect. I think he has a great arm.

4) Saying Trumbo is a .268 hitter who strikes out a ton is like saying Baily is a .500 pitcher with a 4.40 era.

I think I'm going to come off of my statement on trumbo. I'd take home for the right price. I think bailey may be too steep for him.

I agree that bailey may strongly consider not resigning with the reds. I've mentioned maybe using him as a trade chip before. While trumbo probably has more power than most if not all the reds he still fits the same feast or famine pattern and if bailey is used as a trade chip I see him as super valuable. I'd want a piece that's out of the typical reds hitter mold. Like a Headley or a fowler or Stanton. Yes I know they strike out a lot but they have more obp potential or power potential than trumbo. And would improve the D more than trumbo too.

So yes to trumbo if he's the best you can get and the price is right. I don't think I'd trade bailey for him.

CySeymour
05-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Trumbo has some Stanton and Latos qualities about his situation, in that he's under control until 2017. He's cheap. It would take a lot to get him.

I'm not crazy about his low OBP. But a lot of HR hitters have low OBP.

True. But his SLG should play pretty well behind Votto and Phillips when you consider the cost control.

But, the Angels have been a team willing to spend lots of money and I'd imagine they'd prefer to keep Trumbo and try and sign a pitcher in the off season. Plus they wouldn't want anything to do with Luddy with his current injury, though I bet Homer would intrigue them since their roation is pretty thin past Weaver.

Homer is about to get pretty expensive through arbitration, and sooner or later the Reds may need to decide they won't be able to afford Latos, Bailey and Cueto and need to move one.

coachpipe
05-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Thats about as likely as me sleeping with Mila Kunis

1869's Original
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
it's been a while since I've posted here, but I think Chase Headley @SDP is the answer - Padres need pitching and we have it - Bailey & Stephenson for Headley - maybe add in a couple throw-away guys.

OR - sign Headley as a free agent and keep everyone. Thoughts?

Old school 1983
05-16-2013, 11:03 AM
it's been a while since I've posted here, but I think Chase Headley @SDP is the answer - Padres need pitching and we have it - Bailey & Stephenson for Headley - maybe add in a couple throw-away guys.

OR - sign Headley as a free agent and keep everyone. Thoughts?

I'm a huge proponent of Headley. Idk if it'd take bailey and Stephenson to get him. I'd be willing to consider bailey straight up or with a lesser prospect or with Todd Frazier who would become and extra piece with Headley around. This is all assuming that the front office thinks there's a low chance that bailey will be signed long term and that cingrani can be a long term solution in the rotation.

Alpha Zero
05-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Unless they're getting a SP in return or fall out of contention, the Reds will not trade any of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo, Leake, or Cingrani in a mid season deal. I think you can put that in ink. I would certainly consider trading Bailey in the offseason if he won't sign a new deal, but that's not what we're talking about here.

As far as the offense is concerned, I think Henry Rodriguez could provide a major boost in the 2 hole. He's a switch hitter with good contact skills, and he's been extremely hot for Louisville over the past few weeks. I'm not sure if he can handle LF defensively, but if he can, I'd have him in Cincinnati as soon as possible.

RedlegJake
05-16-2013, 11:55 AM
HRod is Frazier insurance

Old school 1983
05-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Unless they're getting a SP in return or fall out of contention, the Reds will not trade any of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo, Leake, or Cingrani in a mid season deal. I think you can put that in ink. I would certainly consider trading Bailey in the offseason if he won't sign a new deal, but that's not what we're talking about here.

As far as the offense is concerned, I think Henry Rodriguez could provide a major boost in the 2 hole. He's a switch hitter with good contact skills, and he's been extremely hot for Louisville over the past few weeks. I'm not sure if he can handle LF defensively, but if he can, I'd have him in Cincinnati as soon as possible.

I think Hrod would be worth a look especially in the two hole if he continues his hot hitting. Like jake said he is Frazier insurance. Frazier is an offensive player and right now he looks pretty lost at the plate. I think Rodriguez would definitely be worth a look so long as his defense looks of big league quality which has been the major question with him.

Plus if Frazier comes around he can play left and then we have two trouble spots covered if Hrod succeeds

SpiritofStLouis
05-16-2013, 12:11 PM
I just don't see them moving him, he's cheap and can play 1B in case Pujols goes down.

1869's Original
05-16-2013, 12:20 PM
agreed - was talkin' with my pops about this and we both don't see why the angels would get rid of trumbo.

we're more likely to see someone like Stanton or Headley in Cincy

Vottomatic
05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
I think Greg Reynolds, Armando Galarragga and Pedro Villareal, along with Frazier would net Headley. ;)

(just kidding..........2 of those guys aren't on the 40-man anyway)

Old school 1983
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
I think Greg Reynolds, Armando Galarragga and Pedro Villareal, along with Frazier would net Headley. ;)

(just kidding..........2 of those guys aren't on the 40-man anyway)
But galarragga has a "perfect" game. :p

Vottomatic
05-16-2013, 03:38 PM
At this point, if the Reds do go looking to bolster the outfield or third base, it won't be a "hot" commodity like Stanton, Trumbo or Headley.

I think it will be more of a salary dump from a team at the bottom of the standings, such as (and these are just a for instance)......Rios (White Sox) or Bautista (Toronto), with possibly some money coming the Reds way, and the acquisition of a few prospects in return. Willingham comes to mind too.

TitosLoveChild
05-16-2013, 06:06 PM
agreed - was talkin' with my pops about this and we both don't see why the angels would get rid of trumbo.

we're more likely to see someone like Stanton or Headley in Cincy

Well, the Angels outfield is set for the foreseeable future with Trout, Bourjos and Hamilton. Pujols is in year 2 of his 20 year contract at first base. And they have CJ Cron, 1b/dh 1st round pick two years ago, waiting in the wings.

Meanwhile, Angels starting rotation is in disarray. Weaver is injured. Vargas has been solid. Wilson hasnt lived up to his contract. Then you got injury prone Hanson, Blanton, Enright and Williams. Enright and Williams was out of baseball recently. They got raped by the DBacks of their minor league starting pitching and have no options inside the organization.

Goose1701
05-17-2013, 02:09 AM
At this point, if the Reds do go looking to bolster the outfield or third base, it won't be a "hot" commodity like Stanton, Trumbo or Headley.

I think it will be more of a salary dump from a team at the bottom of the standings, such as (and these are just a for instance)......Rios (White Sox) or Bautista (Toronto), with possibly some money coming the Reds way, and the acquisition of a few prospects in return. Willingham comes to mind too.

I'd love the idea of Willingham's bat, but I don't love the idea of having two bad defenders in the outfield. If anything I'd like to see the team acquire a CF so they can move Choo to left.

A thought, what about the Mariners Franklin Gutierrez? He's extremely injury prone so his price would be pretty low I'd imagine, but he'd be an excellent buy low candidate. When healthy his defense in CF is elite and his bat is pretty solid as well.

Vottomatic
05-17-2013, 12:27 PM
I'd love the idea of Willingham's bat, but I don't love the idea of having two bad defenders in the outfield. If anything I'd like to see the team acquire a CF so they can move Choo to left.

A thought, what about the Mariners Franklin Gutierrez? He's extremely injury prone so his price would be pretty low I'd imagine, but he'd be an excellent buy low candidate. When healthy his defense in CF is elite and his bat is pretty solid as well.

Parra of the D'Backs or Bourjos of the LAA would be nice in CF.

I'm with you. I'd like to move Choo to LF for defensive purposes, and to appease him a bit if we try and sign him.

Old school 1983
05-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Parra of the D'Backs or Bourjos of the LAA would be nice in CF.

I'm with you. I'd like to move Choo to LF for defensive purposes, and to appease him a bit if we try and sign him.

That's odd on another thread you were seemingly siding up with someone against me who was advocating choo staying in center.

CardsFanBob
05-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Young right handed power hitter. Club controlled for 3 years after this season.

Angels are desperate for pitching.

Bailey and Ludwick for Trumbo and Richards.

This accomplishes a couple things for the Reds. They get their power bat, get out of Ludwicks contract and have a cost controlled left fielder for the next four years. This could allow the Reds to budget a Choo contract. It also would have been unlikely to resign Latos, Cueto and Bailey. Bailey seemed like the most eager to go to free agency. Richards is a power arm who hasnt figured it out yet but has great "stuff." Future rotation Latos, Cueto, Leake, Cingrani, Richards.

For the Angels, their starting pitching is atrocious. They are using Barry Enright, Jerome Williams and Joe Blanton in their rotation. Bailey slides is as their #2 behind Jered Weaver and gives them a fighting chance at saving their season.

Well, I think you're really overvaluing Ludwick, especially after he's gone down with a shoulder injury. Shoulders are just brutal injuries for hitters. Look at our former 3rd baseman, Scott Rolen. Rolen was a potential 30 HR guy every year... until he blew his shoulder out in a playoff game against the Diamondbacks. (Damn Alex Cintron. He then hurt it again running into Hee Sop Choi.) Hell, I'd argue that if Rolen doesn't get that shoulder injury, he would have retired after last year... as a Cardinal. Yup, he never leaves.

That said, if you could get Bailey for Trumbo, I'd do it in a second. Trumbo is what your team is lacking... You could put him behind Votto and potentially win 100 games.