PDA

View Full Version : MLB.tv and blackouts

IABucFan
05-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Does anyone else run into a problem with this? I'm thinking of buying it, but the problem, as you can see from my name, is that I'm a Pirates' fan living in Iowa. The Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, Twins, White Sox, and Royals are all blacked out here. The only one of those "local" teams whose local feed I get is the Twins. So, long story short, I'd be blacked out on approximately a third of the games I actually want to see.

Goose1701
05-17-2013, 01:46 AM
MLB.tv's blackouts are asinine. However, it's an absolutely excellent deal if you just like baseball in general.

THE_LURKER
05-17-2013, 11:30 AM
There are ways to avoid the crazy blackout rules.
Unblock-Us.com is cheap and requires no technical knowledge to set up. It has made my mlbtv purchase well worth the price.

Goose1701
05-18-2013, 07:59 AM
There are ways to avoid the crazy blackout rules.
Unblock-Us.com is cheap and requires no technical knowledge to set up. It has made my mlbtv purchase well worth the price.

Yeah but a lot of times you run into signal degradation problem with those methods.

Plus it doesn't help those of us that would prefer to use the PS3 app to watch games on the living room tv.

THE_LURKER
05-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah but a lot of times you run into signal degradation problem with those methods.

Plus it doesn't help those of us that would prefer to use the PS3 app to watch games on the living room tv.

Actually the site I listed works via DNS. You get your actual bandwidth since there is no proxy server to slow it down. I stream on my roku at full 1080p with no disruptions. All you have to do is set a couple static DNS entries in your router and it will cover every device on your network.

Goose1701
05-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Actually the site I listed works via DNS. You get your actual bandwidth since there is no proxy server to slow it down. I stream on my roku at full 1080p with no disruptions. All you have to do is set a couple static DNS entries in your router and it will cover every device on your network.

Hmmm interesting. I'll have to check it out. If it works well, it'll go along ways towards getting rid of my cable bill.

IABucFan
05-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Do you find that website to be secure? I'm always a little Leary of sites like that. I like, though, that it is a pay site. They seems to be a little more secure and reliable. I would love to get MLB.tv, but it bugs me that a full third of the games I want to watch are blacked out. It would be one thing if all of those RSNs were included in cable/satellite packages. But, as I said, they aren't.

I can count on one hand the number of Brewers, Royals, and White Sox fans, COMBINED, that I know in this part of Iowa. There are a lot if Twins, Cubs, and Cards fans. But even there, most cable companies only carry one RSN. In my neck of the woods, it's Fox Sports North (Twins).

The whole thing is very frustrating. I don't understand why MLB goes to such lengths to ensure that people cannot watch their product.

19braves77
05-20-2013, 03:18 PM
I canceled MLB TV this week after direct Tv offered the Florida Sports Package for 10.00 for the rest of the year. Can now watch the Braves, Rays, and Marlins which is enough for me. I was watching MLB TV and depending on where I was inside my house, The Braves, Marlins, Rays, and Astros were blocked. Am right on the state line of Alabama and Florida. The Astros being blocked makes no sense and am sure it has something to do with the Internet provider.