PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs v. Regular season

Old school 1983
05-22-2013, 11:33 PM
I've heard so many people complain that the reds are on pace to win over 90 and will probably make the playoffs, so why do people such as myself worry and say the team isn't complete? The simple answer is today with the expanded nature of the playoffs, the regular season has been somewhat cheapened, and the best regular season teams may not be the best play off teams. In my opinion it takes 6 things to make a great playoff team in recent baseball.
1) great regular season players namely pitching to get you there with a true ace.
2) a shutdown bullpen with its pieces set in place
3) a great tactical manager
4) a balanced lineup with speed and power and group of professional disciplined hitters that can work counts and pitchers even when they get out.
5) great defense with little to no glaring holes
6) a general manager who playoffizes the roster at the deadline and turns the regular season squad into a playoff force by filling in the missing pieces and bringing in tough veteran players for a stretch run.

Right now I can honestly say the reds have two of these things. 1 and 2 right now. They do not have a balanced offensive attack that can produce runs in a variety of ways. They also have little lineup speed. And few hitters who have a disciplined approach outside of choo votto and Phillips at times.

The reds are close on 5. They have a great defense but choo is a glaring hole at center. In the regular season the times his bat will make up for it evens out his mistakes, but in the playoffs one mistake will cost you.

Finally number 6. Walt hasn't made the moves to playoffize the roster in the past. Hopefully he learns from last year and does it this year.

IMO the best regular season team sometimes does not win the series but the playoffs are far from a crapshoot because they display the entire franchises ability to build a winning team in the season, then during the course of that season make the proper moves to translate a winnig regular season team into a great playoff team. That's why I suggest changes. It's not because I think the reds are horrible, but because I want to see them set up to make the best playoff run possible. If you're not playing for World Series rings then idk what the point is. Right now in my estimation the reds are a great regular season team but an average playoff team.

dwyerbrg
05-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Out of curiosity, what moves would you have addressed last season to "playoffize" the roster?

Old school 1983
05-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Out of curiosity, what moves would you have addressed last season to "playoffize" the roster?

I'd like to add a professional hitter type to either center third or left, preferably third because I also think choo probably should be moved to left because his D in center is suspect. If billy Hamilton keeps his rise in numbers in AAA I'd love to see him up here too. His speed is game changing. So to me I find a way to add a professional veteran bat to the lineup, speed, and find a way to get choo moved to left. I think the pitching is fine for now. If Marshall's shoulder comes up to bite us maybe look for a bullpen piece.

Vottomatic
05-23-2013, 08:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Old school 1983
05-23-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

One of the funniest clips ever. Lol

Johnny Fan
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I'd like to add a professional hitter type to either center third or left, preferably third because I also think choo probably should be moved to left because his D in center is suspect. If billy Hamilton keeps his rise in numbers in AAA I'd love to see him up here too. His speed is game changing. So to me I find a way to add a professional veteran bat to the lineup, speed, and find a way to get choo moved to left. I think the pitching is fine for now. If Marshall's shoulder comes up to bite us maybe look for a bullpen piece.

Exactly what is a "professional" hitter? How is Choo not that under any definition? As for his "D" outside of a couple bad plays in St. Louis, can you point to any other issues? Have you seen Hamilton play? He is fast, that is about it, he is no where near ready for everyday ML CF play at this point. Maybe by 2014 he will be passable, but I see more like 2015 at best.

Old school 1983
05-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Exactly what is a "professional" hitter? How is Choo not that under any definition? As for his "D" outside of a couple bad plays in St. Louis, can you point to any other issues? Have you seen Hamilton play? He is fast, that is about it, he is no where near ready for everyday ML CF play at this point. Maybe by 2014 he will be passable, but I see more like 2015 at best.

A professional hitter is a guy who has a consistent disciplined approach against all levels of pitching. Not a guy a guy who feasts off of bad pitching and looks lost against above average pitching. Choo is a professional hitter. I said he and votto are as well as Phillips at times. More so this year than in the past. As far as choo in center it's not a matter of errors or games you can directly point to and say this error cost the reds this game. That alone doesn't make him a good defender or bad defender in center. In center his range is extremely limited. He has to dive for balls that average center fielders get under. He has a hard time with running catches going straight back. He gets bad reads on the ball off the bat and often looks uncomfortable when the ball is hit to him. I like choo he has been an awesome pick up for the team, but he is not a cf. if we could get him to a corner and a solid cf defensively out there then the overall te D is better. I by no means want to get rid of choo or think he is a bad hitter. I just would like him moved to left.

As far as Hamilton, he is raising his numbers on a. Almost daily basis at AAA. Forcasts of his defense at the major league level have been described as near elite just based on his range and speed alone. I'm not sure why people don't think he can make an impact this year. If he proves he belongs here and can help the team, like his improving numbers at AAA are suggesting, then why don't get him here. It'd arguably improve the team and allow the reds to not use prospects in acquiring another player to fill the void that billy would fill.

CySeymour
05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
That type of hitter you are describing is very elite. Think Votto, Braun, Cabrera, Holliday, etc. Not just someone you can pick up really easily.

Old school 1983
05-23-2013, 03:34 PM
That type of hitter you are describing is very elite. Think Votto, Braun, Cabrera, Holliday, etc. Not just someone you can pick up really easily.

Im not talking at their level but there are guys like Michael young who are on the downside of their career that still can work a pitcher and probably will be readily available at a decent price. Any solid veteran piece would probably increase this ability in left as well as third. It doesn't have to be a top notch guy although that'd be nice, it could just be a guy that does it better than the guy that he is replacing on the reds.

Johnny Fan
05-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Im not talking at their level but there are guys like Michael young who are on the downside of their career that still can work a pitcher and probably will be readily available at a decent price. Any solid veteran piece would probably increase this ability in left as well as third. It doesn't have to be a top notch guy although that'd be nice, it could just be a guy that does it better than the guy that he is replacing on the reds.

Exactly how "well" is Mr. Young doing in Philly? And lets not forget, his salary is like 10+ million. Would rather NOT have that weight around the Reds neck.:thumbup:

Johnny Fan
05-23-2013, 04:34 PM
which is better?

2013 36 PHI NL 46 180 157 17 45 7 2 1 10 0 0 23 26 .287 .378 .376 .754 107 59 11 0 0 0 3

or

2013 27 CIN NL 45 178 157 19 37 9 0 6 29 3 1 17 44 .236 .315 .408 .722 93 64 6 2 0 2 1

Add to that AGE and Contract and is there any question WHOM is better for the Red NOW:thumbup:

Old school 1983
05-23-2013, 05:33 PM
which is better?

2013 36 PHI NL 46 180 157 17 45 7 2 1 10 0 0 23 26 .287 .378 .376 .754 107 59 11 0 0 0 3

or

2013 27 CIN NL 45 178 157 19 37 9 0 6 29 3 1 17 44 .236 .315 .408 .722 93 64 6 2 0 2 1

Add to that AGE and Contract and is there any question WHOM is better for the Red NOW:thumbup:

Watch the series with the Phil's? Frazier was busy whiffing and young was working great at bats, getting on base, getting clutch hits and finding a way for his team to win.