PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Updates Thursdsay 5/23/2013

texasdave
05-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Reds' farm teams will be sending out some stellar pitching tonight.

Louisville - The Bats will be hosting Pawtucket. They are currently the only Reds' affiliate that is at .500 or better, standing at 23 up and 23 down. Tony Cingrani will be handling the pitching duties. 'Nuf said.

Pensacola - The Blue Wahoos travel to Chattanooga. Their record is 16-27. Sharky Rogers, thrown out of his last start for arguing a call at third, will try to inch Pensacola closer to the .500 mark. Incidentally, I don't believe that I have ever seen or heard of a pitcher getting ejected for a call at a base.

Bakersfield - The Blaze try to make it six in a row tonight as the host Stockton. Bakersfield is 16-29 on the season. Jon Moscot is coming off what was by far his best start of the year. He hurled six innings of one-hit, one-walk baseball, striking out nine.

Dayton - West Michigan will be visiting the 18-27 Dragons. Drew Cisco draws the starting assignment. Cisco is sporting a pretty sweet 43/4 K/BB ratio. I wonder if the fact that he missed a year might provide the impetus for him being moved up to Bakersfield this summer?

Edd Roush
05-23-2013, 03:49 PM
I will be at the Dragons game tonight so I will give my take on Cisco, Winker, SMB, Rahier and the rest of the team. It appears that the rain will be past before the game starts so we should have some decent weather for the game tonight in Dayton.

texasdave
05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
I will be at the Dragons game tonight so I will give my take on Cisco, Winker, SMB, Rahier and the rest of the team. It appears that the rain will be past before the game starts so we should have some decent weather for the game tonight in Dayton.

Our Dayton correspondent, Edd Roush, will be live from 5/3 Field. :)

mace
05-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Didn't realize that Bakersfield had won five in a row. Also, looking at the roster, didn't realize that Marquez Smith has had such a productive, consistent minor-league career. With nearly 2,600 plate appearances spanning seven seasons, he carries an .838 OPS. And he's never had a serious dropoff. This from a guy who has 181 games in AAA. Gotta wonder, in fact, what he's doing in Bakersfield at age 28--especially with Silverio also there and playing 3B.

Of course, Silverio has been covering for Juan Perez at short (not sure what the story is there), so maybe Smith will move up to Pensacola when Perez is back.

dougdirt
05-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Didn't realize that Bakersfield had won five in a row. Also, looking at the roster, didn't realize that Marquez Smith has had such a productive, consistent minor-league career. With nearly 2,600 plate appearances spanning seven seasons, he carries an .838 OPS. And he's never had a serious dropoff. This from a guy who has 181 games in AAA. Gotta wonder, in fact, what he's doing in Bakersfield at age 28--especially with Silverio also there and playing 3B.

Of course, Silverio has been covering for Juan Perez at short (not sure what the story is there), so maybe Smith will move up to Pensacola when Perez is back.

When Smith was signed Bakersfield had both D'Anna and Buckley on the DL and they needed another corner infielder.

texasdave
05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Trivia note: Marquez Smith was drafted four times.

2003 - Minnesota Twins
2004 - Anaheim Angels of Anaheim
2006 - Chicago Cubs
2007 - Chicago Cubs

19braves77
05-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Smith would fit in fine at Pensacola. It's already a AAA team.

texasdave
05-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Louisville has jumped out to a 1-0 lead after one.

Billy Hamilton singled, stole a base (24) and rode home on a single by Felix Perez. Bats start the second with five consecutive hits and now lead 6-0. Louisville has scored in every inning and lead 8-0. Felix with a pair of RBI singles. Josh Fellhauer has a pair of doubles and has driven home four. Burriss and Hamilton with two hits apiece.
Tony Cingrani has been a little wild, walking four in five scoreless innings of work. He has given up just a pair of singles and struck out five.

texasdave
05-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Pensacola is tied up at 1 after two full.

An unearned run bit Sharky in the first. But Pensacola bounced back in the second. Lohman singled, stole a base and rode home on a single by Brodie Greene. Still tied at 1 after six. Pensacola keeps pounding out the hits, ten so far, but cannot push across any runs.
Rogers is coming out after an excellent six innings. 6IP 3H 1R 0ER 1BB 3K. ERA has plummeted to 1.93.

OnBaseMachine
05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Cingrani: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K

texasdave
05-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Drew Cisco off to a rough start for Dayton. He has surrendered three earned runs over the first four innings. He has struck out four and walked nobody.

Dayton's lone hit is Tanner Rahier's fifth big fly on the season. Dayton trails 3-1 heading into the bottom of the fourth. Dayton creeps a little closer with a run in the fourth. They now trail 3-2. Gelalich led off the inning with a single and then moved to third on a throwing error on a force play. A grounder brought him home.
West Michigan 3 runs on 9 hits. Dayton 2 runs on 2 hits. That's baseball. Dayton parlays a walk, a single and two errors into three runs to grab a 5-3 after five.
Drew Cisco with by far his worst outing of the year cannot make it out of the sixth inning. 5.2IP 11H 5R 5ER 1BB 6K. Game tied at 5 heading into the seventh.

Kc61
05-23-2013, 08:21 PM
6-0 Bats.

Hamilton with two hits, including a bunt, a steal, and was on base for a potential DP ball except no throw to try and force Hamilton at second. Speed helps.

OnBaseMachine
05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Hamilton is hitting .299 with a .735 OPS in the month of May. Nice to see him turning things around a bit.

texasdave
05-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Chad Rogers ERA is down to 2.01 after four innings. He has given up just a single unearned run tonight.

RED VAN HOT
05-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Although tossing a shutout through 5, Cingani has uncharacteristically walked 4. Could this signify he is working more with his secondary pitches?

ProfessorTofty
05-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Dayton Dragons game is now final. 7-6 in favor of the Dragons in a competitive match throughout, with the Dragons scoring 2 in the eighth inning after West Michigan had 1 in their half. West Michigan blanked in the ninth, Dragon's Ben Klimesh awarded the win

Tom Servo
05-23-2013, 10:33 PM
When does Sharky earn himself a promotion?

texasdave
05-24-2013, 04:40 AM
Tony Cingrani and three relievers combined to shut down Pawtucket in a 10-0 Louisville win, while Bats' hitters pounded out 17 hits.

Cingrani struck out five, while allowing just two hits over five innings. Mike MacDougal, Jumbo Diaz and Nick Christiani all were scoreless in relief.
Offensively, Felix Perez was 3-5 with 3 ribbies. Hamilton, Rodriguez, Soto, Burriss, Ashley and Fellhauer all had two hits each. Fellhauer drove in four.

texasdave
05-24-2013, 04:46 AM
Pensacola out hit Chattanooga 14 to 5 but lost the game 5-3. Chattanooga rallied for four runs off of Loek Van Mil in the bottom of the eighth. Van Mil walked three during the rally.

Chad Rogers was outstanding again. 6IP 3H 1R 0ER 1BB 3K.
Drew Hayes pitched a scoreless seventh. Van Mil imploded in the eighth.

Luis Durango upped his average to .346 with a pair of singles. Barnhart, Lohman, Mather and Greene had a pair of safeties apiece. Travis Mattair cranked out his fifth home run of the season.

texasdave
05-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Bakersfield pushed across a run in the bottom of the eleventh to make it six wins in a row.
They beat Stockton 4-3 in extra innings.

Jon Moscot with another solid starting effort. 5IP 5H 2R 2ER 2BB 6K.
Kyle Lotzkar made a successful return to the California League. He allowed a run in two innings of work. More importantly he walked nobody and struck out four.
Pat Doyle worked three shutout innings, striking out four. El'Hajj Muhammad earned the victory with a virgin eleventh.

Ryan Wright walked, doubled, scored twice and started the winning rally.
Yorman Rodriguez doubled.
Marquez Smith doubled, homered, walked twice, scored once and drove home a pair.
Yovan Gonzalez had a pair of singles.
Steve Selsky singled in the winning run in the eleventh.

Juan Perez was back in the lineup.

texasdave
05-24-2013, 04:57 AM
In an entertaining contest, Dayton rallied for two in the bottom of the eighth to come out on top 7-6.

Drew Cisco had his worst outing of the year, giving up five runs on eleven hits in 5.2 innings of work. Ben Klimesh gave up a run in the top of the eighth but took the victory thanks to the Dragon rally in the home half of the inning. Sean Lucas earned his fifth save.

Joe Terry had singled and double in the winning run in the eighth.
Tanner Rahier homered.
Dayton took advantage of six walks as they scored seven runs on just seven hits.

cumberlandreds
05-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Louisville has jumped out to a 1-0 lead after one.

Billy Hamilton singled, stole a base (24) and rode home on a single by Felix Perez. Bats start the second with five consecutive hits and now lead 6-0. Louisville has scored in every inning and lead 8-0. Felix with a pair of RBI singles. Josh Fellhauer has a pair of doubles and has driven home four. Burriss and Hamilton with two hits apiece.
Tony Cingrani has been a little wild, walking four in five scoreless innings of work. He has given up just a pair of singles and struck out five.

Was this game rain delayed? I was going to watch some of it on MILBTV and kept getting a video is not available message. Gametime was listed on their site for 6:35 pm.

Edd Roush
05-24-2013, 09:21 AM
I did end up attending the Dayton Dragons game last night, however I was forced to leave in the bottom of the fourth because my girlfriend and her friend were too cold to stay. It honestly was nearly as cold feeling last night in Dayton as it was on Opening Day in Cincinnati.

I wonder if that had to do with Cisco and Winker's poor performances. Honestly, I do not think Cisco pitched too poorly other than the bomb he gave up in the second during the first four innings. In the first, when Cisco gave up two runs, he gave up a single up the middle, then one between the third baseman and shortstop and then two solid hit line drives that landed in front of the outfielders. Sure, it looked bad to give up two runs and four hits in the first, but I don't think he is a poor pitcher because of that.

Honestly, I was very impressed with Cisco's stuff. He was getting a lot of swings and misses and was doing a good job of hitting the corners.

The other guy who was very impressive to me was Tanner Rahier. The home run he hit was an absolute bomb. Furthermore, he was picking it at third and exhbiting a cannon over there. Through only four innings of one game, he looked like the most impressive position player on the team.

Winker did not look bad out there, but he just didn't make solid contact in the two PAs I saw. I am sure Winker was due to cool down one of these nights. It was good that his teammates picked him up and the Dragons still got the W.

I don't know if any one has said this before, but he seemed to throw the ball a little unorthodox out there. He seemed to have adequate arm strength, but took a different arm slot than I am used to seeing from an outfielder. I wasn't really close to him being down the first base line, but it just seemed odd from where I was sitting. Range did not appear to be a problem from Winker. He moved around pretty well out there, and the Dunn defensive comparisons certainly do not fit at this time. Winker looked very fit out there.

Gelalich and Amaral showed me nothing last night either. Granted, I was there for a very short period of time, but I have followed those two since they have been drafted and I still don't know why we picked them so early. Those two guys might be the key for the Dragons getting over .500.

Seth Mejias-Brean has a lot of work to do with the bat if he is going to be a long-term first baseman. I was very impressed with what he did last year at Billings as a third baseman, but the bar is much higher offensively for a first baseman and SMB is really struggling this year.

Hudson had some one steal on him during the first four innings and his throw was way too high for Vincej to make the play. Hudson is another guy who has potential to help this team out, but has struggled at the dish most of this year as well.

Joe Terry is certainly benefitting from being a year or more older than most of the guys in this league. It's nice to have someone like him actually getting on base for Winker.

I hope to go again (and stay the whole time) when Stephenson pitches sometime in the future. When I go to that game, I will be able to give my opinion on how guys have progressed and have an even better idea of what is gong on with the Dragons.

texasdave
05-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Was this game rain delayed? I was going to watch some of it on MILBTV and kept getting a video is not available message. Gametime was listed on their site for 6:35 pm.

No idea. When I signed on I thought that game was going to be about halfway over and they were in the first. So a rain delay is quite possible.

It seems as though Pawtucket had travel problems and the game was pushed back an hour because of them.

The PawSox convened at their home ballpark for a 5 a.m. bus to T.F. Green Airport. Scheduled to arrive in Louisville by way of Philadelphia in late morning, their connecting flight was cancelled, they were rerouted through Charlotte and didn't touch down in Kentucky until less than an hour before the scheduled first pitch.

texasdave
05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Although tossing a shutout through 5, Cingani has uncharacteristically walked 4. Could this signify he is working more with his secondary pitches?

Sounds like it. Here is a blurb from the Louisville Courier-Journal.

The walks were uncharacteristic. He had 26 strikeouts to two walks in his previous 14.1 innings, but aside from the control problems, Cingrani looked like himself, reaching 96 mph on the Louisville Slugger Field stadium radar gun.

“He came down here with the instructions to mix in a lot of off-speed stuff. He did that tonight,” manager Jim Riggleman said. “He mixed in his changeup and his slider with his fastball. He was a little frustrated. There were some ... balls that were just off the plate that he wasn’t getting. He got his pitch count up, but it was a good night.”

texasdave
05-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Hamilton' steal came when the catcher was tossing the ball back to the pitcher. Slidin' Billy took off and motored into third.

Juan Perez is back in the Blaze lineup. Juan Silverio's hitting streak now stands at 14.

cumberlandreds
05-24-2013, 02:24 PM
No idea. When I signed on I thought that game was going to be about halfway over and they were in the first. So a rain delay is quite possible.

It seems as though Pawtucket had travel problems and the game was pushed back an hour because of them.

Thanks. That explains it. No wonder they lost 10-0. I'm sure they were worn out from that travel debacle.