PDA

View Full Version : 2013 MLB Draft pick discussion thread

M2
05-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Surprised we don't have a thread going on this yet. Time to start one.

The draft starts on June 6. The Reds have picks 27, 38, 67 and 104.

No idea what they'll do. Personally I'd love to see the Reds snag Texas HS of Billy McKinney with that top pick - advanced bat and plate approach, A++ makeup.

fearofpopvol1
05-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Most of the chatter has been going on here: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99203

I agree there should be a thread/discussion just about the picks, however.

Benihana
05-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Surprised we don't have a thread going on this yet. Time to start one.

The draft starts on June 6. The Reds have picks 27, 38, 67 and 104.

No idea what they'll do. Personally I'd love to see the Reds snag Texas HS of Billy McKinney with that top pick - advanced bat and plate approach, A++ makeup.

Totally agree. I've been disappointed with the lack of Draft discussion around here.

In terms of targets, I also like McKinney and recently posted on the other thread my ideal targets with 10 days to go:

PICK 27

1. JP Crawford HS SS
2. Trey Ball HS LHP/OF
3. Ian Clarkin HS LHP
4. Austin Wilson Stanford OF
5. Sean Manaea Indiana St. LHP
(tie). Jon Denney HS C

PICK 38

1. Billy McKinney HS OF (although at this point, I'd probably swap him with Manaea above)
2. Tim Anderson JuCo SS/2B
3. Rob Kaminsky HS LHP
4. Hunter Dozier Stephen F. Austin SS/3B
5. Hunter Green HS LHP
(tie) Matt Krook HS LHP

PICK 67

1. Justin Williams HS OF
2. JaCoby Jones LSU 2B
3. Cord Sandberg HS OF
4. Blake Taylor HS LHP
5. Riley Unroe HS SS

mdccclxix
05-29-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't know anything about any players until the draft gets really close, and that's if I have time. I also think the sizzle isn't there after the 20th pick or so.

icehole3
05-29-2013, 05:40 PM
I'd like to see the reds draft some starting pitching with their first 3 or 4 picks, real hard throwers.

kaldaniels
05-29-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't know anything about any players until the draft gets really close, and that's if I have time. I also think the sizzle isn't there after the 20th pick or so.

Yeah I don't even try. Was Travesio even mentioned before the draft last year by anyone on here? The Reds came out of nowhere with that pick, and it seemed to be well received here for the most part. Shows how hard it is to be up to speed with the draft.

Benihana
05-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah I don't even try. Was Travesio even mentioned before the draft last year by anyone on here? The Reds came out of nowhere with that pick, and it seemed to be well received here for the most part. Shows how hard it is to be up to speed with the draft.

Travieso was out of nowhere. However guys like Grandal, Alonso, Mesoraco, Bruce, Stubbs and Bailey were all discussed on this board prior to the Reds selecting them in the first round.

Stephenson and Leake were not discussed as much, although I wouldn't say they came out of nowhere like Travieso did.

OGB
05-30-2013, 03:16 AM
I'm of the opinion they should look for some more high OBP bats at the top of the draft. I don't care as much about dynamic power if the guy can hit 20 home runs, drive the gaps, and get on base at a 400 plus clip.

OGB
05-30-2013, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing one high pick that's spent on a really high ceiling freak athlete short stop with the defense who projects to stay there.
I guess a Gregorious type guy.

RedlegJake
05-30-2013, 02:21 PM
I'd like to see the reds draft some starting pitching with their first 3 or 4 picks, real hard throwers.

You really need to be more consistent Ice, never woulda guessed you wanted pitching, pitching and more pitching. :laugh:

TOBTTReds
05-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Travieso was out of nowhere. However guys like Grandal, Alonso, Mesoraco, Bruce, Stubbs and Bailey were all discussed on this board prior to the Reds selecting them in the first round.

Stephenson and Leake were not discussed as much, although I wouldn't say they came out of nowhere like Travieso did.

Most of the picks that were discussed were because we were in the top 15, or they were college stars. There just isn't a ton out there about HS kids that aren't top 10-15 material.

redsmetz
05-30-2013, 05:05 PM

The only mention of Travieso in last year's thread was in this post:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2572297&postcount=5

He's #34 on the list.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 05:54 PM
The only mention of Travieso in last year's thread was in this post:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2572297&postcount=5

He's #34 on the list.

Did you happen to notice who was #27 on that list?

redsmetz
05-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Did you happen to notice who was #27 on that list?

I have to say I missed that.

lollipopcurve
05-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Kivel at 27, yes, and the kid at 26, J.O. Berrios, is the one who has made the biggest impact odf any of them in pro ball so far. 6 starts in the Midwest League with 40 Ks and 6 walks in 33 innings. Here's a quote about him from the link:

"Strike thrower with the ability to change speeds and move the ball both ways."

Pitchability. Do not dismiss it. It's not all about velocity. That's why I liked the Leake selection, wouldn't have minded Wacha, and this year would like a kid like Serrano. But I need to look at the pitchers a little more, still.

Hoosier Red
05-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Pitchability. Do not dismiss it. It's not all about velocity. That's why I liked the Leake selection, wouldn't have minded Wacha, and this year would like a kid like Serrano. But I need to look at the pitchers a little more, still.

I hear Serrano makes the bats afraid of his curveball. :D

LoganBuck
05-31-2013, 07:44 PM
BA mocks Hunter Harvey to Reds, a kid with a power arm. Thoughts?

texasdave
05-31-2013, 08:31 PM

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013/5/17/4339536/2013-mlb-draft-profile-rhp-hunter-harvey-bandys-hs-n-c

It says his fastball sits in the mid-90s and has been clocked as high as 97. His curveball has plus-plus potential. And he has no interest in college and wants to sign. His father pitched in the bigs, so he has the pedigree.

texasdave
05-31-2013, 09:02 PM
If this year's #27 pick in the first round is as good as the Reds' last #27 pick in the first round, it will be all good.

Gallen5862
06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
This is the link to Baseball Americas top 500 players in the draft.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/

TOBTTReds
06-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Their magazine has Kyle Serrano being selected.

LoganBuck
06-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Their magazine has Kyle Serrano being selected.

The mag is 10 days behind

TOBTTReds
06-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I'd like to see Phillip Ervin fall to us. Cape MVP, athletic college OF'er. BA has him as the 3rd best pure hitter in college.

http://samfordsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3793

M2
06-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Arm injury waiting to happen.

lollipopcurve
06-02-2013, 12:09 PM
I'd like to see Phillip Ervin fall to us. Cape MVP, athletic college OF'er. BA has him as the 3rd best pure hitter in college.

I like Ervin too. Definitely prefer him to Austin Wilson.

19braves77
06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I like Ervin too. Definitely prefer him to Austin Wilson.

And you could start him off in Bakersfield and he wouldn't be overmatched.

Edd Roush
06-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Arm injury waiting to happen.

Based on mechanics or based on him being a young power arm?

M2
06-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Based on mechanics or based on him being a young power arm?

Little bit of both. Throws too many curves too, and supposedly has been throwing a lot of them for a very long time.

LoganBuck
06-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Little bit of both. Throws too many curves too, and supposedly has been throwing a lot of them for a very long time.

I was under the impression that they had limited his involvement in traveling teams to protect his arm.

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Pick 38

Was just reading on http://www.motownsports.com/forums/minor-league-baseball/100699-2013-mlb-draft-thread.html and a lot of draft "experts" are predicting Anderson will not last longer than the 20th pick. Sounds like either the Cardinals will draft him at 19 or the Tigers at 20. Both teams have been scouting him heavily. Apparently before this year he was mostly a basketball player and once he started focusing on baseball his numbers exploded. Sounds like an extremely athletic kid that can field and hit but with an average throwing arm. This kid would be perfect for the Reds in my opinion, may make the sting of trading Didi a little easier to deal with.

Benihana
06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Was just reading on http://www.motownsports.com/forums/minor-league-baseball/100699-2013-mlb-draft-thread.html and a lot of draft "experts" are predicting Anderson will not last longer than the 20th pick. Sounds like either the Cardinals will draft him at 19 or the Tigers at 20. Both teams have been scouting him heavily. Apparently before this year he was mostly a basketball player and once he started focusing on baseball his numbers exploded. Sounds like an extremely athletic kid that can field and hit but with an average throwing arm. This kid would be perfect for the Reds in my opinion, may make the sting of trading Didi a little easier to deal with.

Agreed. There are some similarities to Billy Hamilton. Would be OK with him at 27, ecstatic with him at 38. Probably a future 2B.

Keith Law's latest mock has us taking Denney at 27, says he's heard we are heavy in on him - which I like. He has Wilson, Ervin and Kaminsky still on the board when we pick, with McKinney, Clarkin, Anderson and others all gone.

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I am really pumped for the draft. Taking the wife to some food truck thing after work, but I will definitely be DVR'ing the draft. Going to be interesting.

::Realizes I am a total dork::

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Keith Law has the Reds taking high school catcher Jon Denney with the 27th pick. He also claims he's hearing Wil Crowe, but that may be more likely for the 38th pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9336570/prep-right-hander-phil-bickford-jumps-top-10-latest-mock-draft-mlb-draft

texasdave
06-03-2013, 03:19 PM
http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm

Tons of mock drafts all on one website for those who like to peruse such things.

texasdave
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Draft info from cincinnatireds.com.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130603&content_id=49263820&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Keith Law has the Reds taking high school catcher Jon Denney with the 27th pick. He also claims he's hearing Wil Crowe, but that may be more likely for the 38th pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9336570/prep-right-hander-phil-bickford-jumps-top-10-latest-mock-draft-mlb-draft

I know we are not deep at catcher in the minors but if the Reds draft Denney it tells me all we need to know about how the Reds front office views Devin Mesoraco.

dougdirt
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I know we are not deep at catcher in the minors but if the Reds draft Denney it tells me all we need to know about how the Reds front office views Devin Mesoraco.

And your comment tells me that you have no idea how player development works.

Denney, at best, is 4+ years away from the Majors. Mesoraco, assuming he stays in the Major Leagues from now until free agency, is a free agent in 4 more seasons. This isn't the NFL. You don't draft based on what you think about any single player on your Major League roster.

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 03:45 PM

Denney, at best, is 4+ years away from the Majors. Mesoraco, assuming he stays in the Major Leagues from now until free agency, is a free agent in 4 more seasons. This isn't the NFL. You don't draft based on what you think about any single player on your Major League roster.

I am aware of that. Denney is a high schooler so best case scenario is 4 years away from being in Cinci. BUT, if Mesoraco were living up to his potential do you not think the Reds would be trying to extend his contract instead of looking ahead to a future without him? I understand baseball teams go BPA almost all the time, but I also think the major league roster can effect decision making. For example if a team is drafting with the first overall pick and there are two players that are considered 1 and 2 and they are already loaded at the position 1 plays and are weak at the position 2 plays you do not think they will draft 2 even though 1 is considered a slightly better player?

Tom Servo
06-03-2013, 03:47 PM
For example if a team is drafting with the first overall pick and there are two players that are considered 1 and 2 and they are already loaded at the position 1 plays and are weak at the position 2 plays you do not think they will draft 2 even though 1 is considered a slightly better player?
No, you take the best player. Most elite hitting catchers don't make it to the majors as catchers.

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 04:04 PM
No, you take the best player. Most elite hitting catchers don't make it to the majors as catchers.

I know baseball history agrees with you but I just do not think the Cardinals or Giants would draft a catcher in the first round right now. With outfielders and middle infielders I get it because you can shift those players around. I understand you can move catchers to other positions if they are good enough at hitting like first base (not in the Reds case though because of Joey). If Mesoraco were playing to his potential and the Reds were looking to extend him for let's say 3 years past his current contract this kid would not only be blocked by him but Joey as well.

I could be wrong, and probably am, but I think this is an early clue the Reds FO is losing faith in Mez.

mdccclxix
06-03-2013, 04:14 PM
I know baseball history agrees with you but I just do not think the Cardinals or Giants would draft a catcher in the first round right now. With outfielders and middle infielders I get it because you can shift those players around. I understand you can move catchers to other positions if they are good enough at hitting like first base (not in the Reds case though because of Joey). If Mesoraco were playing to his potential and the Reds were looking to extend him for let's say 3 years past his current contract this kid would not only be blocked by him but Joey as well.

I could be wrong, and probably am, but I think this is an early clue the Reds FO is losing faith in Mez.

They haven't even drafted him yet, it's just a rumor.

TOBTTReds
06-03-2013, 04:20 PM

Easy Doug...

Anyway, the Reds drafted Yonder Alonso when they were pretty sure Votto was the guy for the future. You draft best player available until you really need to fill roster spots in the low levels. Your major league team has about 0.1% to do with your draft, and that might be too high.

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 04:24 PM
They haven't even drafted him yet, it's just a rumor.

I know, that is why I said "If the Reds draft him..."

dougdirt
06-03-2013, 04:26 PM

You are wrong.

If you don't have a guy extended, then you don't plan on it happening.

and of course none of this mentions that Ryan Hanigan is a free agent after next season.

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 04:32 PM
You are wrong.

Look Doug, I know you are well versed in the inner-workings of minor league baseball and player development, but you cannot say with 100% certainty that I am wrong, even though I most likely am.

I respect your opinions and really enjoy reading what you have to say but I can tell you from experience that talking to people like this is a bad idea. Even if you are 100% correct you still come off in a bad way, and God forbid if you are proven wrong yourself.

dougdirt
06-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Look Doug, I know you are well versed in the inner-workings of minor league baseball and player development, but you cannot say with 100% certainty that I am wrong, even though I most likely am.

I respect your opinions and really enjoy reading what you have to say but I can tell you from experience that talking to people like this is a bad idea. Even if you are 100% correct you still come off in a bad way, and God forbid if you are proven wrong yourself.

I can tell you, with 100% certainty that teams aren't drafting with anything in mind at the Major League level unless they draft a reliever in the first round. Guys simply take to long to develop, even elite guys, to draft them thinking of replacements for anyone on your current roster. Jay Bruce tore through the minor leagues at a rapid pace, winning the Minor League player of the year award. It still took him 3 years to reach the Majors. Teams understand that and for that reason along with multitudes of others, they simply aren't looking at the Major League roster when evaluating amateur talent.

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Anyway, the Reds drafted Yonder Alonso when they were pretty sure Votto was the guy for the future.

Votto was just starting his rookie campaign when Alonso was drafted, they obviously thought highly of him but he was not established yet. If I remember correctly people were upset at the time when Alonso was drafted because of Votto.

Benihana
06-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Votto was just starting his rookie campaign when Alonso was drafted, they obviously thought highly of him but he was not established yet. If I remember correctly people were upset at the time when Alonso was drafted because of Votto.

I think this is right. When Alonso was drafted, Votto wasn't in all that different a position than Mesoraco is now, except Votto was hitting a lot better.

The difference here is that Alonso was a polished college hitter who could move fast, whereas any HS catcher will always be at least 4-5 years from the majors.

To answer Doug's earlier point, I do think Votto and his 10 year deal do have something to do with how the Reds draft right now. If a guy is projected solely as a 1B, especially a polished college 1B, I doubt the Reds consider him with their first couple picks. Almost no matter what.

Tom Servo
06-03-2013, 05:07 PM
n/m

Benihana
06-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Is Choo a good comp for Ervin? Or a poor man's Matt Kemp?

Or is he the OF version of Rickie Weeks?

Wonderful Monds
06-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Are there any potential Mike Trouts in this draft who have really high potential but fall for whatever reason?

Benihana
06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Are there any potential Mike Trouts in this draft who have really high potential but fall for whatever reason?

I don't know about potential Mike Trout, but Austin Wilson could be a future Eric Davis/Preston Wilson type who once was in discussion for the Top 5 picks but could now likely be around when the Reds pick at 27. However he is a college player so it's a little different.

Tim Anderson could be called half-Billy Hamilton, half-Brandon Phillips.
Billy McKinney could be this year's Jesse Winker.

RedTeamGo!
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68988&highlight=2008+mlb+draft&page=10

Actually redszoners were pretty upset about drafting Alonso in 2008. Most people wanted Gordon Beckham (to fill the need at SS in the reds system).

TOBTTReds
06-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I think this is right. When Alonso was drafted, Votto wasn't in all that different a position than Mesoraco is now, except Votto was hitting a lot better.

Hope I'm not pulling a Doug here...

But the Reds FO knew Votto was the answer. Heck, a lot of guys knew he was the answer when he was in Dayton. The second Alonso was drafted, he was the trade bait that he eventually became. You have no problem drafted a sure thing that is blocked because he becomes a wild card for you.

The Brewers drafted Matt LaPorta when they had Prince. Everyone knew they drafted him only to trade him. His floor was already so high, they knew they could trade him quickly (of course he ended up not panning out!) But still flipped him for CC. We flipped Alonso (and others) for Latos.

You draft the best player available because he can be traded for whatever you need if he is successful. Teams do this all the time. If there was a no-brainer 1B sitting out there for us, pretty sure we'd take him.

Gallen5862
06-03-2013, 08:55 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Jonathan Gray Tests Positive For Banned Stimulant
By Steve Adams [June 3 at 5:18pm CST]
ESPN's Keith Law reports that Oklahoma right-hander Jonathan Gray, projected to be one of the Top 5 picks in Thursday's MLB draft, has tested positive for Adderall -- a stimulant which is banned by the Joint Drug Agreement between MLB and the players' union. According to Law, the test will not result in a suspension, and it's not likely to cause him to slip in the draft.

In fact, in a second piece (this one for ESPN Insiders only), Law outlines a scenario in which this test could actually make Gray more appealing to the Astros with the first overall pick. Law writes that Gray's bonus demands will be lower due to the poor result. One source told Law he expects Gray to sign for a "huge" discount. In that scenario, the Astros could likely sign Gray below slot with the first pick and allocate some of the additional funds to later players without risk of exceeding their bonus pool.

Adderall is typically prescribed as a treatment for ADHD, but Gray did not have a prescription for the drug. In Law's first piece, he notes that more than 110 active players were granted exemptions to use the drug in 2012. Carlos Ruiz's 25-game suspension to open the season was the result of using Adderall without a prescription, he adds. Most teams that Law has spoken to thus far aren't overly troubled by Gray's test, though it does bring his judgment into question.

19braves77
06-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I frown upon the Reds raking that OK prep catcher Denney.

Benihana
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM

Last time they drafted an OK prep catcher it worked out pretty well

Edd Roush
06-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Any particular reason? I kind of like the idea of a plus bat who might be able to catch in the bigs. Denney seems to have the upside that I am looking for.

19braves77
06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Any team that takes him his just going to move him to a corner OF position. I would just take a polished college bat that should stay at his position while moving just as quick like 3B Eric Jagielo, Notre Dame,

Benihana
06-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Any team that takes him his just going to move him to a corner OF position. I would just take a polished college bat that should stay at his position while moving just as quick like 3B Eric Jagielo, Notre Dame,

Last time the Reds took a power hitting prep catcher and moved him to a corner, that worked out pretty well too.

LoganBuck
06-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Last time the Reds took a power hitting prep catcher and moved him to a corner, that worked out pretty well too.

Was that when Devin Mesoraco had to stand in the corner all last September?

I will be here all week folks.

dougdirt
06-04-2013, 12:08 AM

Actually, I can with 100% certainty say it and the guy who drafts for the Reds talked about it today actually. You can listen here if you would like: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9337831

Gallen5862
06-04-2013, 12:41 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Gray, Blair Test Positive For Banned Stimulant
By Steve Adams [June 3 at 9:56pm CST]
9:56pm: Marshall right-hander Aaron Blair also tested positive for Adderall, reports Conor Glassey of Baseball America. Blair ranked as the No. 41 draft prospect, per BA.

Glassey spoke to a pair of front office executives from different teams, and each believed Gray's usage was a one-time mistake that won't be held against him. A source close to Blair told Glassey that his usage was also a one-time instance.

19braves77
06-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Forgot where I read it but many people think the new market teams with exploit thru the the draft is finding athletic first base that if needed could play left field. examples in the article were Mark Trumbo and Donald Lutz. Article mentioned teams like the Padres , Rays, Astros, , and Twins are more likely to pounce on these players in the earlier rounds.

Edd Roush
06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
In Law's mock, he has McKinney going the pick before the Reds to the Yankees. ESPN and Law put together a draft tool where you can change picks and I switched the Yankees to taking Denney (the Reds' currently mocked pick) and with McKinney on the board, the simulator has the Reds taking Will Crowe over McKinney. From the scouting reports I have read, I like McKinney #1, Denney #2 and Crowe #3. That being said, I would be happy with any of the three picks. As stated earlier, I like Austin Wilson over all three. I am excited to see who will be drafted by the Reds on Thursday.

Benihana
06-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Totally agree. I've been disappointed with the lack of Draft discussion around here.

In terms of targets, I also like McKinney and recently posted on the other thread my ideal targets with 10 days to go:

PICK 27

1. JP Crawford HS SS
2. Trey Ball HS LHP/OF
3. Ian Clarkin HS LHP
4. Austin Wilson Stanford OF
5. Sean Manaea Indiana St. LHP
(tie). Jon Denney HS C

PICK 38

1. Billy McKinney HS OF (although at this point, I'd probably swap him with Manaea above)
3. Rob Kaminsky HS LHP
4. Hunter Dozier Stephen F. Austin SS/3B
5. Hunter Green HS LHP
(tie) Matt Krook HS LHP

PICK 67

1. Justin Williams HS OF
2. JaCoby Jones LSU 2B
3. Cord Sandberg HS OF
4. Blake Taylor HS LHP
5. Riley Unroe HS SS

With 2 days to go and a little bit clearer of a picture, I'll modify my wishlist (it looks like Crawford, Ball and Clarkin will all likely be off the board by 27. Otherwise I'd be ecstatic with any of those three):

Group A (Guys I'd love to see at 27)

1. Austin Wilson OF
2. Jon Denney C
3. Billy McKinney OF
4. Tim Anderson SS/2B
5. Sean Manaea LHP (signability and injuries concern me)

Group B (Guys I'd love to see at 38)

1. Rob Kaminsky LHP
2. Hunter Dozier SS/3B
3. Phillip Ervin OF - reminders of LaMarre & Weeks have me a bit tentative on him but he may be good value at 38
4. Hunter Green LHP
5. Matt Krook LHP

Group C (Guys I'd love to see at 67) remains close to the same:

1. Justin Williams HS OF
2. JaCoby Jones LSU 2B
3. Riley Unroe HS SS
4. Cord Sandberg HS OF
5. Blake Taylor HS LHP

mdccclxix
06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Where is the best free source to get more than a blurb about these draft eligibles?

dougdirt
06-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Where is the best free source to get more than a blurb about these draft eligibles?

Mlb.com's draft central. Top 100 guys have write ups.

mdccclxix
06-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks.

And what rounds are on what day?

dougdirt
06-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks.

And what rounds are on what day?

1-2 are on Thursday.
3-10 are on Friday.
11-40 are on Saturday.

mdccclxix
06-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks again. I was hoping round 2 was also the first day.

mdccclxix
06-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Lot's and lot's of pitching in the early rankings 1-40 on mlb.com. I'm sorting for offense where I can and would prefer Wilson, Ervin, Denny, Judge, JP Crawford in that order. With a BPA approach it seems most likely the Reds will end up with pitching though. Hoping Manaea could slip to us. The wisest choice always seems to end up going with control type pitchers in the early round, as they usually always throw 92+ anyway.

19braves77
06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Update:

1. Astros - Colin Moran
2. Cubs - Mark Appel
3. Rockies - Kris Bryant
4. Twins - Jonathan Gray
5. Indians -Austin Meadows
6. Marlins - Clint Frazier
7. Red Sox - Kohl Stewart
8. Royals - Braden Shipley
9. Pirates - Reese McGuire
10. Blue Jays -Jon Denney

Heard Denney could go to the Red Sox at 7 if Stewart wants to much.....

fearofpopvol1
06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Update:

1. Astros - Colin Moran
2. Cubs - Mark Appel
3. Rockies - Kris Bryant
4. Twins - Jonathan Gray
5. Indians -Austin Meadows
6. Marlins - Clint Frazier
7. Red Sox - Kohl Stewart
8. Royals - Braden Shipley
9. Pirates - Reese McGuire
10. Blue Jays -Jon Denney

According to who? And if accurate, Denney shot way up.

19braves77
06-04-2013, 07:45 PM
According to who? And if accurate, Denney shot way up.

Red Sox beat writers. Red Sox hosted Frazier, Meadows, and Denney today in workouts.

Edd Roush
06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Red Sox beat writers. Red Sox hosted Frazier, Meadows, and Denney today in workouts.

Does your opinion change on the justification of the Reds taking Denney now that you have heard that the BoSox beat writers think he is going to go Top 10 the day before the draft?

I think Denney would be a good pick. I would still rather have McKinney or Wilson, though.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
My final prediction (which I do not want to happen) is:

Marco Gonzales, LHP, Gonzaga University

anybody else? Not who you want them to draft, but who you think they are going to draft.

Tom Servo
06-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I am on board with drafting Gonzales, which I guess puts me in a minority on Redszone.

19braves77
06-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Does your opinion change on the justification of the Reds taking Denney now that you have heard that the BoSox beat writers think he is going to go Top 10 the day before the draft?

I think Denney would be a good pick. I would still rather have McKinney or Wilson, though.

I guess but he still will be moved to a OF corner spot.

Edd Roush
06-05-2013, 12:24 PM
My final prediction (which I do not want to happen) is:

Marco Gonzales, LHP, Gonzaga University

anybody else? Not who you want them to draft, but who you think they are going to draft.

I'll play:

Edd Roush's prediction of who the Reds will pick: Billy McKinney, OF, Plano (Texas) West Senior HS

The last time we took a Texas high school outfielder it worked out pretty well. I have seen the Reds associated with McKinney a lot and I would be ecstatic with the pick.

As for Gonzales, I have kind of turned my opinion of him recently. He actually reminds me a lot of Mike Leake. He isn't going to blow guys away with his stuff, but seems to still be very successful in college with his current arsenal. Leake did have better results as a pitcher in college, but like Leake Gonzales had a .300+ BA in his junior year at the plate and ESPN opines that Gonzales "would probably be drafted in the top five or six rounds as a position player, falling mostly because he only shows power in BP." More importantly Gonzales apparently has a great feel for pitching (like Leake). With apparently one of the best changeups in the draft, and the success of Leake this year, I will not be mad at the Reds for taking Gonzales who may be the lefty version of Leake (or perhaps a Travis Wood type).

I still prefer Wilson or McKinney, but Gonzales seems like a guy who will pitch in someone's rotation and hit a little bit when he is in the bigs in the next five years.

Edd Roush
06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
I guess but he still will be moved to a OF corner spot.

If his bat is as good as advertised, his bat will play at a corner OF spot, which is why teams at the back-end of the top 10 are likely interested. Denney would be an Edd Roush-approved pick by the Reds.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Draft Gonzales and bring him up this year as the LOOGY? haha

Benihana
06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
I want NO part of Marco Gonzalez. Very limited upside.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't know, according to his scouting report he has a "plus plus changeup" and it is perhaps the best changeup in the draft. I like the sound of that. Reds have plenty of young right handed flamethrowers in the pipeline, I wouldn't mind a left handed change of pace type pitcher to insert into the middle to back end of the rotation.

Edd Roush
06-05-2013, 03:20 PM
I want NO part of Marco Gonzalez. Very limited upside.

Don't you kind of get the Mike Leake/Travis Wood vibe from him, though? I'm not super excited about drafting a MOR starter, but there are worse picks for the Reds to make.

Benihana
06-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Don't you kind of get the Mike Leake/Travis Wood vibe from him, though? I'm not super excited about drafting a MOR starter, but there are worse picks for the Reds to make.

If there was ever a time where we don't need a polished, fast-moving college pitcher with limited upside, this is it. We have a ton of pitching depth at the big league level and high minors between Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Arroyo, Cingrani, Corcino, Reynolds and Rogers- not to mention Chapman. What we need now is middle of the diamond players (Buckley's specialty), power hitting corner OF, and high-upside HS arms (to go along with the next gen guys like Stephenson and Travieso). Our pitching is set for the next 2-3 years, but then there might be a lot of turnover.

In other words, we don't need another Mike Leake who can bypass the minors to help rotation depth, we need another Robert Stephenson/Homer Bailey-type pitcher, OR a middle of the diamond player like Grandal/Mez/Hamilton, OR a big corner OF bat like Bruce or Winker.

That's why I like Austin Wilson, Billy McKinney, Jon Denney, and Tim Anderson for our first round pick. If we're going to take a college pitcher, hopefully it's Sean Manaea who, despite having top 10 talent, may slide due to injury and signability concerns (which are concerning to me, but at least the payoff is there if he hits). If we're going to take a HS arm, I hope for Trey Ball or Ian Clarkin, although they are likely to be off the board by 27, but they are more Stephenson/Bailey types than Leake types, despite the fact that they are southpaws.

I feel that there is better depth in this draft for pitching around our 38th and 67th picks than at the 27th pick. It seems as though there is a signifcant dropoff after the top 8 arms (Gray, Appel, Shipley, Stewart, Stanek, Manaea, Ball and Clarkin). I don't differentiate all that much between the next group, which is why I'd rather take whoever falls to 38 (say a guy like Kaminsky, Krook or Green) rather than reach for someone at 27. I think there is a higher likelihood that one of the bats I mentioned above falls to us at 27, and IMO they would be the BPA for us at that spot.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
If there was ever a time where we don't need a polished, fast-moving college pitcher with limited upside, this is it. We have a ton of pitching depth at the big league level and high minors between Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Arroyo, Cingrani, Corcino, Reynolds and Rogers- not to mention Chapman. What we need now is middle of the diamond players (Buckley's specialty), power hitting corner OF, and high-upside HS arms (to go along with the next gen guys like Stephenson and Travieso). Our pitching is set for the next 2-3 years, but then there might be a lot of turnover.

In other words, we don't need another Mike Leake who can bypass the minors to help rotation depth, we need another Robert Stephenson/Homer Bailey-type pitcher, OR a middle of the diamond player like Grandal/Mez/Hamilton, OR a big corner OF bat like Bruce or Winker.

I know the Reds have more depth at starting pitching right now than at any other point in the 29 years I have been alive but you can always use more.

Let's be honest, there is a pretty good chance Corcino, Rogers and Reynolds will not do anything at the major league level.

Benihana
06-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I know the Reds have more depth at starting pitching right now than at any other point in the 29 years I have been alive but you can always use more.

Let's be honest, there is a pretty good chance Corcino, Rogers and Reynolds will not do anything at the major league level.

True, but there is also a pretty good chance none of them will need to. They are 7th, 8th and 9th on the current depth chart. (Hopefully) by the time one of them will be needed, there's a decent chance someone like Stephenson, Contreras or even Cisco will be ready.

We can always use more pitching, but my preference would be for a higher upside guy farther from the big leagues than a lower upside guy who is closer, especially given our current depth.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
True, but there is also a pretty good chance none of them will need to. They are 7th, 8th and 9th on the current depth chart. (Hopefully) by the time one of them will be needed, there's a decent chance someone like Stephenson or even Cisco will be ready.

We can always use more pitching, but my preference would be for a higher upside guy farther from the big leagues than a lower upside guy who is closer, especially given our current depth.

I see, it is nice that he is polished, but I mainly like the fact he has a very good changeup and is left handed. The Reds do not have anybody that fits that description it seems.

lollipopcurve
06-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Marco Gonzalez before Austin Wilson all day long.

Pitching depth is a phantom.

Benihana
06-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Agree with the last part. Disagree with the first.

I'll soften my stance a bit - Gonzales wouldn't be the worst player we could draft. I do agree that we have a dearth of crafty lefthanders in our system. He just wouldn't be one of my top 5 choices, given who I think could be available.

Would you guys draft Gonzales over Sean Manaea? Ian Clarkin? I wouldn't.

RedEye
06-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Tomorrow is the best day of the year for this forum, IMO. Looking forward to the draft coverage all you guys provide. :beerme:

19braves77
06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Moran asking price has teams thinking the Rockies with 3rd pick go 1B Dominic Smith.

Possible Frazier drops out of Top 10 due to demands also.

lollipopcurve
06-05-2013, 10:40 PM

Probably not. But I don't know enough about Manaea's injury.

Benihana
06-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Moran asking price has teams thinking the Rockies with 3rd pick go 1B Dominic Smith.

Possible Frazier drops out of Top 10 due to demands also.

I'd love it if Moran or Frazier somehow fell to the Reds. Very unlikely though.

One thing is true- one or two "consensus" top 10 guys usually fall out of the top 15.

corkedbat
06-05-2013, 11:04 PM

Wouldn't mind Gonzalez...if he's there at 38, but not at all at 27. A big corner OF bat would work for me (HS or College) with a high ceiling.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Agree with the last part. Disagree with the first.

I'll soften my stance a bit - Gonzales wouldn't be the worst player we could draft. I do agree that we have a dearth of crafty lefthanders in our system. He just wouldn't be one of my top 5 choices, given who I think could be available.

I think I would go with Gonzales, the plus plus changeup has gotten me excited and I have now went from not wanting them to draft him to being all for it.

19braves77
06-06-2013, 03:17 AM
Wonder the chances of the Pirates somehow getting both Meadows and Frazier at #9 and #14 ?

edabbs44
06-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Reading the papers here in NJ it seems like Kaminsky has no shot at getting to Cincy in the 30s. The kid let up 3 ERs in the last two years. Combined. Against the best talent in the state.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I'd love it if Moran or Frazier somehow fell to the Reds. Very unlikely though.

One thing is true- one or two "consensus" top 10 guys usually fall out of the top 15.

I am quoting Benihana here, but I want the opinion of the whole board here. Now that we have a bonus pool for all of our draft picks and it's not like we can really "outspend" other teams, is it that wise for us to use the majority of the pool on one "Top 10" guy and then have to go signability for a few picks or should the Reds also pass up those high dollar guys so they can draft more good guys rather than one great guy?

In the past, I would no doubt want the Reds to draft the best possible player and then sign them regardless of how much it costs. Now if the Reds do that, it costs them quality with the subsequent picks. So what does everyone think? Are Frazier and/or Moran worth overpaying for or is it more wise to pay slot for most of our top picks?

I think I want to stay at slot, especially if our guys have Wilson, McKinney or Denney rated similarly to Moran and Frazier and they have an indication that Wilson/McKinney/Denney will sign for less than what Moran and Frazier want.

RedTeamGo!
06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
I think overpaying is the way to go. You are lucky to get 1 or 2 good MLB players out of a draft as it is, might as well go all in on the elite talent. That is the current draft strategy of the Tigers and it has really worked out for them.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
OK, I like what I read about this ND 3b who hit 13 HR in the Cape Cod league, Eric Jagielo. Maybe he'll be there for the 2nd pick. Actually, the 2nd pick has just as good a chance to impact as the 1st pick this year. The first 10-20 picks even all feel like they're reachy to me for what you want out of that spot. IMO, there should be plenty of value during today's draft for both Reds picks.

This Thurman pitcher could be a good fit for the Reds profile:

Thurman's fastball could be a plus pitch in the future -- he can reach back for a mid-90s heater when he needs to. He throws a curve and a slider, with the former a bit better than the latter, and his changeup is a deceptive offspeed offering. His good command lets his stuff play up and he can move his fastball in and out, going right after hitters with a very strong feel for pitching.

The combination of stuff, size, and pitchability could make Thurman a future middle-of-the-rotation type at the highest level.

Maybe he'll be around at 38 as well. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing him at 27.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I am quoting Benihana here, but I want the opinion of the whole board here. Now that we have a bonus pool for all of our draft picks and it's not like we can really "outspend" other teams, is it that wise for us to use the majority of the pool on one "Top 10" guy and then have to go signability for a few picks or should the Reds also pass up those high dollar guys so they can draft more good guys rather than one great guy?

In the past, I would no doubt want the Reds to draft the best possible player and then sign them regardless of how much it costs. Now if the Reds do that, it costs them quality with the subsequent picks. So what does everyone think? Are Frazier and/or Moran worth overpaying for or is it more wise to pay slot for most of our top picks?

I think I want to stay at slot, especially if our guys have Wilson, McKinney or Denney rated similarly to Moran and Frazier and they have an indication that Wilson/McKinney/Denney will sign for less than what Moran and Frazier want.

I agree with you, stay at slot. I don't think it's very easy to meet the demands of these bonus babies anymore. The new system is supposed to prevent these slippages from happening, but with HS players, it may not do much at all.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Former #27 picks include Vida Blue and Pete Harnisch, and Todd Jones (I forgot he was a Red wasn't he?).

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I think the Stos must go with Appel. The guy told millions of dollars to swim off because he was sure he'd get back the next year and still be a #1 prospect. Well, here he is, folks.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 11:29 AM
The Cubs should take Gray, IMO. He's going to move quickly and be ready within 3 years when they project to start pulling out of the rebuild process. I think Bryant has the chance to take 3-4 years to arrive and still have swing and miss problems like a Brett Jackson. Just take the stud pitcher. Easy.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't quite envy the Rox at #3. It's kind of a sloppy mess. I find myself preferring Moran, Frazier, Shipley and Meadows in that order. Just going off the mlb.com profiles, Bryant as a RH 3b likely to move to 1st that has some decent holes in his game to worry about, I don't want that at #3.

texasdave
06-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Former #27 picks include Vida Blue and Pete Harnisch, and Todd Jones (I forgot he was a Red wasn't he?).

And Robert Stephenson.

RedTeamGo!
06-06-2013, 11:58 AM
I would be shocked if the Astros do not take Appel

RadfordVA
06-06-2013, 03:05 PM
I would be shocked if the Astros do not take Appel

I would be shocked if they did. Most people have him topping out as a #2 or 3 starter. He is almost ready now for big leagues and is gonna be expensive. Those things do not fit the astros needs very well. They probably prefer higher ceiling guys and can wait 4 or 5 years on. Plus they would rather under spend at the top to save money for over slotting picks later.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't quite envy the Rox at #3. It's kind of a sloppy mess. I find myself preferring Moran, Frazier, Shipley and Meadows in that order. Just going off the mlb.com profiles, Bryant as a RH 3b likely to move to 1st that has some decent holes in his game to worry about, I don't want that at #3.

I love the spot the Rockies are in. Maybe the best of the whole draft. I'd happily take Bryant, Gray or Appel - probably in that order.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but I don't really like Bryant as a #3 pick. Doesn't really profile as a 1st basemen style top 5 guy.

M2
06-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Here's my thinking with whomever the Reds pick with those first two picks:

1) If it's a bat, then the hitting projection should be no lower than a 6.

2) If it's an arm, I'd like to see a fastball projection of 7, or a 6 with 6 control

I'd still take Billy McKinney if he's there. Yet a pitcher who's rising on my wish list is Jacksonville St. RHP Chris Anderson.

M2
06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Eric Davis representing the Reds at the draft.

The Rockies have Pedro Astacio. Now there's a club that lacks history.

foxfire123
06-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Is there a list of kids considered eligible for the draft anywhere? I've got a co-worker whose son is pitching well in college. He was drafted by the Blue Jays out of high school last year but elected to go to college instead. Jon Harris, Missouri State.

ETA: http://www.missouristatebears.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060513aaa.html