PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Updates Thursdsay 5/30/2013

texasdave
05-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Preview:

Louisville - Greg Reynolds, former #2 overall draft choice back in 2006, will face off against the Columbus Clippers. Reynolds is enjoying a renaissance season so far here in 2013. Not a big strikeout pitcher (5.9 - K/9), he is not walking many opposing hitters (1.9 - BB/9) and is keeping the ball in the ballpark (2 HRs in 63.1IP). His ERA is 3.16. He is looking for his 5th win on the year and has yet to taste defeat.

Pensacola - Daniel Renken will take the ball for the Wahoos tonight against Jacksonville. Renken was drafted by the Reds in the 25th round of the 2010 draft. In six of his nine starts he has given up 2 earned runs or less. Renken is coming off two fine starts and will try to keep that roll going tonight. His ERA stands at a tick over 4.00 and he is search of his second win.

Bakersfield - The Blaze play host to Rancho Cucomanga tonight and they will hand the ball to Michael Dennhardt. Dennhardt is a 32nd round pick of the Reds from the 2011 draft. Used as a reliever up until about 10 days ago, Dennhardt is making just the third start in his minor league career. He has yet to give up an earned run in his first two starts, spanning 10.1IP.

Dayton - One of the gems of the farm system is on the bump tonight. Robert Stephenson. The former 1st round pick has outstanding numbers on the season, striking out 11.5 and walking just 2.4 per nine innings. In his last four starts he has kicked it up a notch. His line for those four starts: 25.0IP 15 H 4ER 2BB 33K. His ERA during that stretch is a sparkling 1.44 and opposing hitters have managed just a .167 average.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Ex-Red Jeremy Hermida has taken Reynolds deep as Columbus leads 1-0 after an inning and a half. Columbus 1 Louisville 0.

Phipps singles, Hessman walks and Corky's mustache brings them both home. 2-1 Louisville. Bats still up in the bottom of the second.

Both pitchers are putting up zeroes now. 2-1 in the fourth. Phipps is 2-2. Phipps comes around on a Miller walk and a Negron single. 3-1 Bats after four.

Reynolds pitched eight plus innings of one-run baseball. 8.1IP 9H 1R 1ER 0BB 4K. Phipps and Burriss each had a pair of singles. Corky was 1 for 2 with a walk, a sac fly and 3 runs batted in.

Louisville reaches the .500 mark with a 4-1 win.

dougdirt
05-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Walt Jocketty is in Dayton tonight.

OGB
05-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Bakersfield hosting Rancho Cucomanga, Bugs Bunny's favorite stop over on his way from Walla Walla to Albequerque.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Stephenson pitches a 1-2-3 first. 1 strike out. Dayton coming in to bat. Dayton is rocking the South Bend starter. Amaral walked, Terry and Mejias-Brean singled and Jeff Gelalich, now 11 for his last 19, banged a double down the line. Dragons lead 3-0 with one out in the first. After Arias goes down swinging, Tanner Rahier beats out a grounder up the middle. Runners on the corners. Tanner Rahier is 2-2 on the night. An infield single and a bloop single. Hudson follows with a single and he is 2-2 as well. Vincej walks to juice the bases with nobody out. Beau Amaral makes it 5-zip with a two-run single. Sac fly makes it 6-0.

Stephenson with another perfect frame. 2 Ks this time. Nine up; nine down. 4 Ks. It is quickly becoming the Robert Stephenson show. Another 1-2-3. 5Ks. My dog is crossing his legs. But he is going to have to suck it up. Another spotless frame. 6Ks. Stephenson only at 54 pitches through 5.
17 up, 17 down. Perfecto and no-hitter gone on a 25-foot dribbler. Dragons' announcers said it should have been an error. Stephenson fielded and fired. It went off the glove of Mejias-Brean. Throw beat the runner. My dog is happy now. LOL.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Bakersfield hosting Rancho Cucomanga, Bugs Bunny's favorite stop over on his way from Walla Walla to Albequerque.

Everybody's favorite stop over.:)

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Robert Stephenson has retired all 12 batters he's faced.

4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2013, 08:30 PM
15 up, 15 down for Stephenson.

5 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2013, 08:43 PM
3 of the 6 Ks Stephenson has had tonight have required a 2-3 putout. He's got hitters chasing his off-speed stuff. @DragonsBaseball #Reds

https://twitter.com/FSOhio_KGoheen

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Stephenson lost his perfect game with two outs in the 6th on a little squibber, apparently a borderline error.

6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Stephenson walked his only two batters of the night in the 7th inning.

6.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K

OGB
05-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Reynolds goes 8.1 strong, giving up one earned on 9 hits with 4 Ks and zero free passes.
Partch comes on and punches out* the final two for the save.

Phipps and Burriss both go 2-4, the former scoring twice. The Man, the Myth, the Mustache goes 1-2 with a walk and 3RBI.
Hamilton, Negron, Soto, and HRod add a hit apiece. Billy picks up steal #30.

Louisville wins 4-1

*CP struck them out, he didn't actually punch anyone

nate1213
05-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Stephenson walked his only two batters of the night in the 7th inning.

6.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K

Anyone know what kind of velocity Stephenson had tonight?

dougdirt
05-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Fast.

The gun in Dayton hasn't worked for about a week, so unless you are sitting behind the scouts, no one knows right now. Might hear reports after the game when reporters get a chance to ask (if they ask).

texasdave
05-30-2013, 09:48 PM

I thought I heard the Dragons' announcers say 98. Not sure what they based that upon.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Dayton leads 9-0 going into the ninth.

Two hits apiece for Vincej, Winker, Rahier and Hudson. Beau Amaral has three.
The story of the game was Robert Stephenson. 6.1IP 1H (tainted) 0R 0ER 2BB 9K.
Wandy Peralta has pitched 1.2 scoreless innings in relief.

holster10
05-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Stephenson has really had a very good May and I would think he would be in line for a promotion sometime in June if he keeps dominating.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Jacksonville and Pensacola are hammering the ball again. In the first three games of the series there were a total of four runs scored - combined. Tonight it is 1-0 through six. Jacksonville has score two runs in nearly 4 games and are on the verge of splitting the series.

Renken went six strong. 6IP 4H 1R 1ER 2BB 7K. Chris Manno on to pitch the 7th.

Offensively, Theo Bowe has singled and doubled. Bryson Smith has singled twice. Tucker Barnhart and Travis Mattair have singled.

Manno just allowed a double to the first batter he faced. At this point Pensacola fans just want to see a run scored. They do not care which team accomplishes that task.
Ask and you shall receive. Jacksonville scores five runs on two hits, two walks and and an error. Josh Ravin came in with the bases loaded and served up a grande salami. 6-0 Suns. Turn out the lights, the party's over.
If it wasn't over before, it is now. Ravin pukes up five more in the 8th. 11-0 Jacksonville. I should have kept my big mouth shut.

dougdirt
05-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Ravin gave up two grand slams to Jake Marisnick in the game.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Ravin gave up two grand slams to Jake Marisnick in the game.

Bookends. First batter he faced and last batter he faced.

Tony Cloninger
05-30-2013, 11:28 PM
How are these hitters in Double A this bad? I mean No one save Burkhart is developing at all.
Please adjust your developmental people or theories ASAP.

texasdave
05-31-2013, 04:33 AM
Bakersfield ekes out five hits. Four singles and a double. Two of the hits were by Yovan Gonzalez to push his average up to .327. They score twice in a 5-2 loss to Rancho C.

Mike Dennhardt gives up 3 runs (2 earned) in five innings of mounds work. He struck out five. Kyle Lotzkar pitched two innings, giving up a run, on one walk and one hit. El'hajj Muhammad lowered his ERA to 1.85 with a perfect frame.

texasdave
05-31-2013, 04:39 AM
How are these hitters in Double A this bad? I mean No one save Burkhart is developing at all.
Please adjust your developmental people or theories ASAP.

You can probably toss Bakersfield onto that particular pile as well.

texasdave
05-31-2013, 04:40 AM
I would say it is no contest at all for the MiPOTD.

Tony Cloninger
05-31-2013, 11:45 PM
You can probably toss Bakersfield onto that particular pile as well.

Lohman, Lamarr (Don't Call Me Headley) and Greene.....are probably like watching Juan Castro hit in the majors. Who scouting these guys thought they had any ceiling?

corkedbat
06-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Lohman, Lamarr (Don't Call Me Headley) and Greene.....are probably like watching Juan Castro hit in the majors. Who scouting these guys thought they had any ceiling?

The Reds have done pretty well on the pitching side of the ledger, but up until this past draft, they have had a strange attraction to 4th OFers & utility infielders in the first 10 rounds at the expense of quality corner bats.