Per his twitter account:

Heading to Dayton in the morning! #Pumped #GOE #Reds

https://twitter.com/NTravieso21

Joseph
05-30-2013, 06:41 PM
I like it. Good for Nick.

redsmetz
05-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Any chance he'll pitch on Sunday? I'm hoping to take in the game before I pick up my wife coming home from a trip.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 06:46 PM
So is Guillon (or someone else) going back to extended Spring Training? Or, is Stephenson (or someone else) getting bumped up to Bakersfield?

texasdave
05-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Any chance he'll pitch on Sunday? I'm hoping to take in the game before I pick up my wife coming home from a trip.

If they stay on rotation, Drew Cisco would be slated to pitch on Sunday. Not a bad option.

dougdirt
05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Guillon is currently listed as the starter tomorrow. Pedro Diaz is listed for Saturday. I think either of those guys could be in danger of heading back to EST. Neither has done much, for different reasons. Guillon simply can't throw strikes. Diaz is struggling with control too, but also is dealing with blister/finger issues and has been almost the entire season.

OGB
05-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Guillon is currently listed as the starter tomorrow. Pedro Diaz is listed for Saturday. I think either of those guys could be in danger of heading back to EST. Neither has done much, for different reasons. Guillon simply can't throw strikes. Diaz is struggling with control too, but also is dealing with blister/finger issues and has been almost the entire season.

Agreed. A demotion seems far more likely than a promotion.
Stephenson and Cisco have each had some pretty remarkable highs this year, but haven't been dominant.
Romano has been somewhat middling. Sharp at times, but struggling to make it past the 5th or 6th without getting a 3-4 run inning dropped on him.
Diaz has been largely bad.
Guillon, who I had high hopes for this year, has been a complete disaster.

dougdirt
05-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Agreed. A demotion seems far more likely than a promotion.
Stephenson and Cisco have each had some pretty remarkable highs this year, but haven't been dominant.
Romano has been somewhat middling. Sharp at times, but struggling to make it past the 5th or 6th without getting a 3-4 run inning dropped on him.
Diaz has been largely bad.
Guillon, who I had high hopes for this year, has been a complete disaster.
Stephenson has absolutely been dominant. He has simply been unlucky at times with balls in play.

dougdirt
05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Sal Romano may miss a start after being hit in the foot by a liner last night. Could be that, though I don't think they would bring up a guy like Travieso for just one start.

texasdave
05-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Walt Jocketty is in attendance in Dayton. Is that normal?

dougdirt
05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Walt Jocketty is in attendance in Dayton. Is that normal?

It happens a few times throughout the season. So not normal, but it isn't like it never happens either. With the Reds on the road and Stephenson pitching in Dayton, it isn't a surprise.

OGB
05-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Stephenson has absolutely been dominant. He has simply been unlucky at times with balls in play.

He definitely has been of late, but he's struggled at times this year. Call it unlucky all you want, but he has a 3.74 ERA, 7 wild pitches, a 1.17 WHIP.
I could see a promotion in his future if he keeps going the rate he's going, but bad luck doesn't get a dominant pitcher a 3.74 ERA.
What Tony Cingrani is doing this year is dominant. Stephenson isn't quite there yet, but he's clearly well on his way.

dougdirt
05-30-2013, 10:50 PM
He definitely has been of late, but he's struggled at times this year. Call it unlucky all you want, but he has a 3.74 ERA, 7 wild pitches, a 1.17 WHIP.
I could see a promotion in his future if he keeps going the rate he's going, but bad luck doesn't get a dominant pitcher a 3.74 ERA.
What Tony Cingrani is doing this year is dominant. Stephenson isn't quite there yet, but he's clearly well on his way.

Bad luck can get a dominant pitcher an ERA of now 3.32. He has 59.2 innings with 16 walks and 77 strikeouts. That is dominant.

He has struck out 15% more batters than the next closest guy in the league who has faced at least 150 batters. He is the only guy in the league with over a 28% strikeout rate (he is at 32%). He has the largest gap in the league between his strikeout rate and his walk rate.

Tony Cingrani has been dominant too. But Stephenson has also been dominant.

redsof72
05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Romano is going on the D.L.

Stephenson tonight...Good Lord. You talk about completely overmatching a lineup. He could have easily reached his pitch limit without allowing a base runner. Hitters had zero chance. He was throwing fastballs by people, then breaking their backs on off-speed. It was like a man among boys. South Bend was leading the league in hitting and had scored 20 runs over the previous two games, and had won 10 straight until tonight.

Superdude
05-30-2013, 11:41 PM

Stephenson tonight...Good Lord. You talk about completely overmatching a lineup. He could have easily reached his pitch limit without allowing a base runner. Hitters had zero chance. He was throwing fastballs by people, then breaking their backs on off-speed. It was like a man among boys. South Bend was leading the league in hitting and had scored 20 runs over the previous two games, and had won 10 straight until tonight.

Stephenson just obliterated that lineup. I've seen about all I need to see of him in a Dragons uniform.

nate1213
05-31-2013, 12:21 AM

He probably heard Walt was there and wanted to impress.

Red Swagger
05-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Passing up Wacha BC of Travieso will come back to haunt Jocketty and the Reds for the next decade. Imagine Wacha and Cingrani sitting in AAA waiting.

OGB
05-31-2013, 01:20 AM
If anyone wants to argue semantics, that's fine, but the only point I was trying to make was that I don't think you promote a guy to A+ who is 2 years removed from HS and has only 87 IP at low A.
I think you give him at least 4 more starts. If he keeps pitching this well send him to the Cal league.

Superdude
05-31-2013, 01:38 AM
Passing up Wacha BC of Travieso will come back to haunt Jocketty and the Reds for the next decade.

I'll believe it once Ryan Wright, Brodie Greene, and Sean Buckley put up the "monster" seasons you predicted.

TOBTTReds
05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
Passing up Wacha BC of Travieso will come back to haunt Jocketty and the Reds for the next decade. Imagine Wacha and Cingrani sitting in AAA waiting.

So you think Travieso has no chance to succeed and you have Wacha dominating? You really think it is going to haunt them for a decade? It could, but I hope not.

Remember how much better the Trevor Bauer pick looked over Gerritt Cole at times. Things change quickly, especially when pitchers advance.

dougdirt
05-31-2013, 09:35 AM

It is awfully early to think anything like this.

TOBTTReds
05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
It is awfully early to think anything like this.

Nope, knee jerk reactions are the standard around here these days. I'd give him credit for almost waiting a full year after the draft to state something like this. Of course it has taken early success from one of them to make this point.

SidneySlicker
05-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Stephenson just obliterated that lineup. I've seen about all I need to see of him in a Dragons uniform.

A lineup that had won 10 in a row to boot.

I was at the game Sal Romano pitched and that liner that hit him in the foot was scalded. Not surprised he had to go to the DL.

indy_dave00
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Seems a little early to compare a 22 year old college pitcher Mike Wacha to a 19 year old high school pitcher Travieso, less than a year into their pro careers.

Wacha was much like Leake considered close to ready out of college and as a #3 at best rotation arm. Travieso's upside is higher but his floor could be lower, thats the risk you take with a high school arm vs college arm.

Far to early to predict 3 years down the road let alone 10.

Dan
06-01-2013, 03:31 PM

Is Stephenson ready? I'm a firm believer that when a pitcher is ready to pitch in the majors, he's ready. (A hitter, not so much.) Could he be ready to pitch in Cincinnati if called upon?

Superdude
06-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Is Stephenson ready? I'm a firm believer that when a pitcher is ready to pitch in the majors, he's ready. (A hitter, not so much.) Could he be ready to pitch in Cincinnati if called upon?

I've only seen him once, so I can't speak for his consistency at all, but that start would have played anywhere IMO. If he keeps throwing like this, we're gonna be waiting for him to build up his innings more than anything else.

Anyone know when Travieso's first start is?

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Anyone know when Travieso's first start is?

Monday night

Tony Cloninger
06-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Seems a little early to compare a 22 year old college pitcher Mike Wacha to a 19 year old high school pitcher Travieso, less than a year into their pro careers.

Wacha was much like Leake considered close to ready out of college and as a #3 at best rotation arm. Travieso's upside is higher but his floor could be lower, thats the risk you take with a high school arm vs college arm.

Far to early to predict 3 years down the road let alone 10.

Would it not had been more prudent though to take someone who could be ready quicker...since either Bailey or Latos .....unless they score big on a new TV contract...might not be resign-able?

Tony Cloninger
06-01-2013, 08:03 PM
I'll believe it once Ryan Wright, Brodie Greene, and Sean Buckley put up the "monster" seasons you predicted.

Well said. Talk about drafting players with low upside.

mace
06-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Travieso's start tonight (at home against Lake County) is so eagerly and curiously awaited that I wondered what the expectation might be among the ranks here. I'll go with this:

5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K.

texasdave
06-03-2013, 01:44 PM
I'll opine. 6IP 3H 1R 1ER 2B 8K.

Superdude
06-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Is there scalpers at Dragons games? I'd like to go tonight, but I'm sure they sold out for the ten thousandth time and I didn't see anything on stubhub.

...and 5IP 2ER 6K 4H 1BB

Tom Servo
06-03-2013, 02:12 PM
My prediction for Lake County: pain.

dougdirt
06-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Is there scalpers at Dragons games? I'd like to go tonight, but I'm sure they sold out for the ten thousandth time and I didn't see anything on stubhub.

...and 5IP 2ER 6K 4H 1BB

No there aren't, but dd you try their website or ticket office? They sell out all kinds of games, but there are usually single tickets available throughout the seated areas and almost always have lawn "seats" available.

SirFelixCat
06-03-2013, 03:10 PM

Lots and Lots of pain!

texasdave
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Nick 'The Knife' Travieso. I like it.

icehole3
06-05-2013, 04:38 AM
he looked like he was very nervous the other day, he did hit 97mph 3 or 4 times :)

bellhead
06-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Nick 'The Knife' Travieso. I like it.

I'm all for referring to them by nicknames ala Brazil does it's soccer players. It gives us a little something.

Tony Cingrani ala "Phat Tony due to his strike outs..."
Sharky Rogers ?????
Robert Stephenson ????

Gallen5862
06-13-2013, 08:28 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/in-review-each-teams-top-pick-from-the-2012-draft/

Cincinnati Reds
Righthander Nick Travieso has been put on a similar path as 2011 first-rounder Robert Stephenson. Travieso spent the first two months in extended spring training before joining low Class A Dayton in early June. In his first start, he showed a 91-94 mph fastball that touched 97 and an inconsistent breaking ball.

dougdirt
06-13-2013, 10:46 PM
I was at that start. He was sitting a little higher than that from everything I saw and heard.

lollipopcurve
06-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Just watched his two inning outing against .230-hitting Lake County tonight.

He did not look like a prospect. The announcers did not say what his velocity was, but the swings Lake County was taking against him were consistently big. Second time he's thrown against that team, and they were on his fastball like it was 83 MPH. Up in the zone all the time. Secondary stuff.....looked like maybe a little slider. Not sure if he threw a change. If he did, it was never close.

Just very, very rough. I'm disappointed, because I was hoping to see something to get excited about.

dougdirt
06-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Just watched his two inning outing against .230-hitting Lake County tonight.

He did not look like a prospect. The announcers did not say what his velocity was, but the swings Lake County was taking against him were consistently big. Second time he's thrown against that team, and they were on his fastball like it was 83 MPH. Up in the zone all the time. Secondary stuff.....looked like maybe a little slider. Not sure if he threw a change. If he did, it was never close.

Just very, very rough. I'm disappointed, because I was hoping to see something to get excited about.

Easily the worst start he has had. Whatever it was, he simply didn't have it. Slider was flat when it was near the zone and when it had bite, it went 59 feet. I saw a decent change up in there.

Doubt you get any velocities. On Tuesday the gun in Dayton was off by 7-10 MPH. Guys throwing 97 on scout guns weren't hitting 90 on the scoreboard.

lollipopcurve
06-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Easily the worst start he has had. Whatever it was, he simply didn't have it. Slider was flat when it was near the zone and when it had bite, it went 59 feet. I saw a decent change up in there.

Doubt you get any velocities. On Tuesday the gun in Dayton was off by 7-10 MPH. Guys throwing 97 on scout guns weren't hitting 90 on the scoreboard.

Hopefully it was an anomaly.

But hey, looking forward to those short season teams getting into action now. Great time of year.

dougdirt
06-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Hopefully it was an anomaly.

But hey, looking forward to those short season teams getting into action now. Great time of year.

So far, in the very limited sample size that is his season, it was an anomaly. He is a long term project kind of guy who has all of about 100 innings on his arm as a starting pitcher in his entire life. He is going to take some time.

lollipopcurve
06-20-2013, 08:19 PM
So far, in the very limited sample size that is his season, it was an anomaly. He is a long term project kind of guy who has all of about 100 innings on his arm as a starting pitcher in his entire life. He is going to take some time.

For sure.

Still, though, I have to say I'm not sure what's there to recommend him other than that he got drafted in the first round. When you see the swings they were getting on his fastball tonight, I really have to wonder -- even more so than before. It actually reminded me a little of Colorado hitting off Villarreal a week or two ago.

I don't like saying stuff like this about a ballyhooed Reds prospect, and I hope he lights it up in the second half, I really do.

dougdirt
06-20-2013, 08:23 PM
For sure.

Still, though, I have to say I'm not sure what's there to recommend him other than that he got drafted in the first round. When you see the swings they were getting on his fastball tonight, I really have to wonder -- even more so than before. It actually reminded me a little of Colorado hitting off Villarreal a week or two ago.

I don't like saying stuff like this about a ballyhooed Reds prospect, and I hope he lights it up in the second half, I really do.

If this was the only time you have seen him pitch, I can see where you are coming from. But just remember, you saw him pitch on the worst day he has had as a pro and it lasted for what, 2 innings?

He needs to improve, but the flashes are there. Has thrown upper 90's this season. Has flashed a good slider this season. Has flashed a decent change up this season.

lollipopcurve
06-20-2013, 08:48 PM
He needs to improve, but the flashes are there. Has thrown upper 90's this season. Has flashed a good slider this season. Has flashed a decent change up this season.

I'm keeping the faith. Hope to get a chance to see him again.

Vottomatic
06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Upper 90's on his fastball, but does it have movement on it?

Speed without movement can equate to a batting tee.

dougdirt
06-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Upper 90's on his fastball, but does it have movement on it?

Speed without movement can equate to a batting tee.

Doesn't sit upper 90's.

PepperJack
06-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Nice(ish) rebound for Travieso tonight: 5IP, 1ER, 3H, 3BB, 2K. He still doesn't strike guys out, but he is young, and playing decent.

RedlegJake
06-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I am not worried about Nick. When they drafted him they knew he was very rough with little mileage which was actually one of his attractions. So...I am more concerned that he has the raw arm to work with (check...appears so)...that his mechanics are sound (Doug?) and that he displays at least rudimentary command (check ...doesn't appear to be at all Ravin like wild). Next year I'll start looking for more progress and refinement than those basics. Whether he has some bad outings this year at his age and experience seems imnaterial. Patience is overused with some prospects but with this one I think it is a perfect word to use.

Benihana
06-26-2013, 01:04 PM
I am not worried about Nick. When they drafted him they knew he was very rough with little mileage which was actually one of his attractions. So...I am more concerned that he has the raw arm to work with (check...appears so)...that his mechanics are sound (Doug?) and that he displays at least rudimentary command (check ...doesn't appear to be at all Ravin like wild). Next year I'll start looking for more progress and refinement than those basics. Whether he has some bad outings this year at his age and experience seems imnaterial. Patience is overused with some prospects but with this one I think it is a perfect word to use.

Don't necessarily disagree, but I think K's are a big indicator of raw arm talent (not necessarily polish or refinement). The fact that he's not striking anybody out is a bit concerning.

Superdude
06-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Don't necessarily disagree, but I think K's are a big indicator of raw arm talent (not necessarily polish or refinement). The fact that he's not striking anybody out is a bit concerning.

Doesn't just plain, old velocity tell you that? I'd agree his K numbers are less than encouraging, but I don't think that necessarily paints a great picture about his raw arm strength and long term potential.

Benihana
06-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Doesn't just plain, old velocity tell you that? I'd agree his K numbers are less than encouraging, but I don't think that necessarily paints a great picture about his raw arm strength and long term potential.

No - K's incorporate movement on pitches. Doesn't matter (and likely won't ever matter) if you can throw 95 MPH if it's straight as an arrow.

Guys like Kyle Lotzkar who have a lot of raw talent but couldn't ever harness control/command etc. (partially due to injuries) did and still do strike out a lot of batters. Carlos Marmol would be the big league example of that.

Superdude
06-26-2013, 07:18 PM
No - K's incorporate movement on pitches. Doesn't matter (and likely won't ever matter) if you can throw 95 MPH if it's straight as an arrow.

Guys like Kyle Lotzkar who have a lot of raw talent but couldn't ever harness control/command etc. (partially due to injuries) did and still do strike out a lot of batters. Carlos Marmol would be the big league example of that.

Either way, there's more to striking out batters than having a good arm. Without actually watching him pitch, I think it's a big jump to say he doesn't have the arm to succeed. Especially this early.

Benihana
06-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Either way, there's more to striking out batters than having a good arm. Without actually watching him pitch, I think it's a big jump to say he doesn't have the arm to succeed. Especially this early.

Who said he doesn't have the arm to succeed?

All I said was if he continues with his current K rate, it may be a bit concerning.

There were some questions around whether the Reds overdrafted Travieso when they selected him 14th overall in 2012. In his (admittedly very) brief professional career, he has done nothing to dispel those suspicions [much like fellow 2012 draftee Jeff Gelalich and 2011 draftee Gabriel Rosa].

If and/or when Travieso begins to strike people out, that could all change on a dime.

Superdude
06-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Who said he doesn't have the arm to succeed?

I think K's are a big indicator of raw arm talent

I kind of took this for meaning he didn't have the arm to succeed.

All I said was if he continues with his current K rate, it may be a bit concerning.

Agreed to some extent, but as long as the pieces are still there that caught Buckley's eye in the first place (big arm, decent control, etc), I'm not gonna get too hung up on his K rates yet. Guy definitely wasn't drafted as a quick riser.

Benihana
06-26-2013, 10:26 PM
I kind of took this for meaning he didn't have the arm to succeed.

Agreed to some extent, but as long as the pieces are still there that caught Buckley's eye in the first place (big arm, decent control, etc), I'm not gonna get too hung up on his K rates yet. Guy definitely wasn't drafted as a quick riser.

The last 3 HS arms the Reds took in the first round (Stephenson, Lotzkar, and Bailey) all had K/9 rates over 10 pitching in Dayton the year after they were drafted.

Travieso's is currently half of that number (and wasn't much higher last year in the AZL). It's obviously very early still, but something to monitor nonetheless.

(That's saying nothing of the 5.14 career ERA and 1.47 WHIP - not as important as the K's for a developing arm, but still...)

There is obviously not a huge sample size to go on, but there is no WAY Travieso ranks ahead of Winker or Ervin on my prospect rankings.

dougdirt
06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
The last 3 HS arms the Reds took in the first round (Stephenson, Lotzkar, and Bailey) all had K/9 rates over 10 pitching in Dayton the year after they were drafted.

Travieso's is currently half of that number (and wasn't much higher last year in the AZL). It's obviously very early still, but something to monitor nonetheless.

(That's saying nothing of the 5.14 career ERA and 1.47 WHIP - not as important as the K's for a developing arm, but still...)

There is obviously not a huge sample size to go on, but there is no WAY Travieso ranks ahead of Winker or Ervin on my prospect rankings.

The previous three guys were also much more experienced pitchers coming out of high school too. Homer Bailey led his team to the Texas state title as a starting pitcher as a freshman in high school. Nick Travieso didn't start until he was a senior. Bailey was throwing 60-80 innings in high school, then probably 40 more for travel ball each year. So that is what, 300 innings or so head start on a guy like Travieso as a starting pitcher? That is rather significant.

He is going to take time. He is not your normal high school first round pitcher. Maybe think of him like Devin Mesoraco. The tools were there, but the production wasn't for a while. Then it all clicked and he blew up. We don't know whether or not Travieso will blow up like Mesoraco did. But the tools are there for it. The key will be refining them.

mth123
06-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Travieso is the guy I'd deal to get help at the big league level. Upper minors is thin in value, many other candidates for the staff ahead of him, recent number 1 pick status would probably make some long term project type team interested.

Blitz Dorsey
06-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Uh, I know it's early, small sample size, playing at a tough level for a player his age, yadda yadda ... but I'm concerned.

Not ready to pull the plug. Please don't get "concerned" confused with "he's terrible." I'm still glad he's in the organization. I like his arm and his array of pitches. But I'm concerned.

Blitz Dorsey
06-29-2013, 02:57 PM
The previous three guys were also much more experienced pitchers coming out of high school too. Homer Bailey led his team to the Texas state title as a starting pitcher as a freshman in high school. Nick Travieso didn't start until he was a senior. Bailey was throwing 60-80 innings in high school, then probably 40 more for travel ball each year. So that is what, 300 innings or so head start on a guy like Travieso as a starting pitcher? That is rather significant.

He is going to take time. He is not your normal high school first round pitcher. Maybe think of him like Devin Mesoraco. The tools were there, but the production wasn't for a while. Then it all clicked and he blew up. We don't know whether or not Travieso will blow up like Mesoraco did. But the tools are there for it. The key will be refining them.

Isn't Mesoraco more like Jeremy Kivel? Meaning, the tools were always there, even the production. However, an injury in high school briefly derailed them. Fortunately for Mes he was able to play his senior year and still be a first-round pick (but he was held back a year and was a year older than the rest of his graduating class due to the injury). Unfortunately for Kivel, his senior year was wiped out and was a 10th round pick, but got second/third-round pick money for his signing bonus ($500K).

dougdirt
06-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Isn't Mesoraco more like Jeremy Kivel? Meaning, the tools were always there, even the production. However, an injury in high school briefly derailed them. Fortunately for Mes he was able to play his senior year and still be a first-round pick (but he was held back a year and was a year older than the rest of his graduating class due to the injury). Unfortunately for Kivel, his senior year was wiped out and was a 10th round pick, but got second/third-round pick money for his signing bonus ($500K).

I was going more with the point where a lot of people had flat out given up on Mesoraco. After his season in Dayton some were already calling him a bust. After the 2009 season Baseball America ranked him as the 30th best prospect in the system. Scouting reports on him after that season basically sounded like only the Reds liked him at that point. I personally saw the tools all being there still, but the production just wasn't. Same thing with Travieso. The tools are there. He just isn't consistent with most of them.

Blitz Dorsey
06-30-2013, 10:12 AM
I was going more with the point where a lot of people had flat out given up on Mesoraco. After his season in Dayton some were already calling him a bust. After the 2009 season Baseball America ranked him as the 30th best prospect in the system. Scouting reports on him after that season basically sounded like only the Reds liked him at that point. I personally saw the tools all being there still, but the production just wasn't. Same thing with Travieso. The tools are there. He just isn't consistent with most of them.

I hear you. Good comparison. I was certainly one that was very concerned with Mesoraco early in his minor league career. Then he suddenly took off. Hopefully the same thing happens with Travieso. Good to know all the tools are there.