PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Robinson is a hint of what to come with Billy Hamilton

DWS1125
06-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Derrick Robinson is the fastest player on the time, he's very athletic, excellent fielder..but isn't being utilized like he should. Tonight's game he should have been a pinch runner for Donald Lutz in the 8th down by one run, with Hanigan a good bat handler at the plate. Excellent opportunity to put on a play, hit and run or maybe steal second base. Why isn't Derek batting in the 2nd spot in front of Votto? With a threat on the bases Votto would have more opportunities to see fastballs...someone able to turn a bunt single into a double with a stolen base or second. Derek has limit chances to steal. Right now he has ONE stolen base...Why do people expect Billy to be any different from Derek? If Dusty doesn't use every tool in his belt

Red Swagger
06-05-2013, 01:26 AM
I absolutely agree. Why are we excited for Billy Hamilton to come up? He will NOT be utilized correctly BC of Dusty's inability to play small. He doesn't steal, hardly any hit and runs, no double steals, no putting pressure on the defense, NOTHING. The Reds are close to the bottom of MLB in stolen bases and runs manufactured. What do you think it will look like when Hamilton comes up? THE SAME. That is why we should have traded him or the only hope we have now is, Baker leaves after 2013 and new management brings a new approach. We cannot rely on the big inning every time, this team needs to PLAY SMALL

mth123
06-05-2013, 06:30 AM
I think Dusty would turn Hamilton loose if he proves capable. The team doesn't really have the players to play small ball. I'm not a huge fan of running all the time and getting thrown out on the bases, but I think Dusty wants to get a guy at the top of the order that can run. He's tried to force it with guys like Patterson, Taveras and Stubbs, but none of them could find first base often enough for it to matter. Choo gets on, but he's not the 50 steal burner type and is really more a of a middle of the order guy IMO. He gets on base and has speed, so he hits at the top, but stealing bases is not really his game. Why get him thrown out when the best hitter in the NL is coming up? If a guy like Hamilton (or who we hope Hamilton will be), who can run with a high success rate and get on base, I'd expect Dusty to lead him off and turn him loose on the bases.

As for Robinson, I just won't believe he's anything more than a Mirage until he's done it regularly for a couple of seasons. His average minor league season had an OPS of .645 and if you think I'm biased against him for not being a slugger, his typical OBP was .321. IMO, Robinson is successful because Dusty is using him correctly. If he used him more, he'd resemble the guy who couldn't hit in the minor leagues IMO.

lidspinner
06-05-2013, 08:06 AM
I dont disagree with the OP 100% but you want to play small ball with this team? Half our team cannot get a bunt down to save their life, the other half swings and misses to many baseballs to hit and run and the team as a whole is a long ball team with gap shot mentality. You cannot play small ball with this team......

But I agree that a good case of small ball is what is needed at certain times in a game or certain spots in our lineup.....rarely has those spots been available to us this year.

CySeymour
06-05-2013, 08:50 AM
With the team down one player, Phillips, due to injury, Dusty really couldn't afford burning Robinson as a pinch runner.

Johnny Fan
06-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Anyone else kinda spooked with what Dusty said last night after meeting with team doctors about Cueto's start today? Something is up....:confused:

DWS1125
06-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Brandon can run can't he? What the point of putting your fastest runner two spots ahead of the pitcher? if he steals, Hanigan can't drive him in, because pitcher on deck. if I was a manager I would love speed in front of my run producing hitters. First to third on singles, with a stolen base a single drives him in.

DWS1125
06-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Anyone else kinda spooked with what Dusty said last night after meeting with team doctors about Cueto's start today? Something is up....:confused:

I think Brandon faster than Donald Lutz.. sending him in motion wouldn't hurt if hanigan doesn't strike out often. But instead he grounded into double play

Bob Sheed
06-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Why isn't Derek batting in the 2nd spot in front of Votto?

"Shortstop bats 2nd, dude."

DWS1125
06-08-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't like to toot my own horn.. but Robinson look good in that 2 spot :-)