PDA

View Full Version : Players you think are on the steroid list

RedsfaninMO
06-05-2013, 02:23 PM
With names like Braun and A-Rod already known, who are the other players you think may be on the list?

I'm hoping no Reds are on it, but I think that may a little naïve.

Before I go on here, I'm going to answer a question Mike T. and other Cardinal fans are sure to ask. I live near St. Louis, and I'm recently divorced. I don't have the funds for the MLB package, but I do bug one of my neighbors to watch his TV sometimes. Right now I'm paying for my wife and her boyfriend to live in my house while I'm in a crappy apartment. So, I watch a lot of Cards games and root against them, because that's what the funds allow.

With that being said, I have to say I won't be surprised to see Adam Wainwright on the list. He looks like he's put on 20 pounds of muscle since last year. The other obvious Cardinal would be Matt Holliday, and perhaps Carlos Beltran. Others have mentioned Molina, but I really haven't seen his body change that much. As much as I don't like him and think he's overrated, I'm not sure he's on something, although his power last year suggest he may be.

So, for all of those who get to watch the Reds on a regular basis, who do you think may be on the juice, if anyone at all?

Don Cameron
06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Since it is usually guilt by association one Red was Pete Rose, but then again Bonds also hung around steroid users and dealers and he wad never caught. I am sure Pete would never look for an edge.

Don Cameron
A legend on his own mind.

Wonderful Monds
06-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I too think all the best players on my favorite team's rival team are on steroids.

EMAW
06-05-2013, 03:42 PM
I am horrible at guessing this stuff, Neifi Perez was on the list and he would have been the last guy on my guess list.

westofyou
06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
I too think all the best players on my favorite team's rival team are on steroids.

Isn't that a coincidence!

SporkLover
06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Note that it's not just steroids, it's all kinds of performance enhancing drugs, which the steroid family is just one. They also look at other synthetic hormone usage, and for drugs that can be a pick me up through the summer (amphetamines). So the stereotype of the big bulky guys Isn't the only stereotype in play here. (think Armstrong and blood doping)

If they do go after folks and the MLBPA allows it.... I bet the list will be very surprising. There are lots of older players out there that just seem to never tire through the summer grind.... Amphetamines can just be the reason why.

maestrohound
06-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Seeing Yasmani Grandal possibly on the list, I hope his association does not date back to the time he was in the Reds organization. These things can sometimes be contageous within teams.

My one guess - living in Milwaukee - would be Jean Segura (in addition to Braun, of course).

Hey Meat
06-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Yadier Molina and Domonic Brown.

Swampturkey
06-10-2013, 01:28 AM
With that being said, I have to say I won't be surprised to see Adam Wainwright on the list. He looks like he's put on 20 pounds of muscle since last year.

You MUST be joking! First of all...he is one of the biggest Christians you will ever find. He's also highly moral and big on ethics. He would be the last person in the world I would believe to be on steroids. I'd even put him behind David Eckstein.

As for the gaining 20 pounds, he had a bet going with Lance Lynn in the offseason. Lynn was to lose weight, Wainwright was to gain muscle. Both succeeded in their goals as you can clearly see by looking at them.

Jmiller21kg
06-10-2013, 01:33 AM
Grandal probably is. Yonder Alonso? Anybody associated with Miami could be on it. Carlos Beltran is a guess of mine. Goes from oft injured OF to all of a sudden great hitter with tremendous bat speed again.

MikeThierry
06-10-2013, 02:28 AM
You MUST be joking! First of all...he is one of the biggest Christians you will ever find. He's also highly moral and big on ethics. He would be the last person in the world I would believe to be on steroids. I'd even put him behind David Eckstein.

As for the gaining 20 pounds, he had a bet going with Lance Lynn in the offseason. Lynn was to lose weight, Wainwright was to gain muscle. Both succeeded in their goals as you can clearly see by looking at them.

Yeah because no Christian has ever been hypocritical and done one thing while preaching the other. :rolleyes:

That said, of course the OP was going to put the Cardinals best players on there. His whole modus operandi since he's joined here as been illogical, bordering on psychotic, opinions about Cardinals players.

MikeThierry
06-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Grandal probably is. Yonder Alonso? Anybody associated with Miami could be on it. Carlos Beltran is a guess of mine. Goes from oft injured OF to all of a sudden great hitter with tremendous bat speed again.

He had a two year period in NY where he was injured, otherwise the whole often injured mantra is overblown. He's played in 140+ games 11 times in his 16 year career and one of those years was a year where he just played 14 games as a late season call up at 21 years old.

Vottomatic
06-10-2013, 07:22 AM
I think the whole Cardinals organization needs to be tested. They're past indicates they promote that kind of stuff with McGwire. And TLR's former days in Oakland with Canseco and McGwire. I wouldn't put it past TLR promoting steroids or even selling the stuff to his players. He seemed like that kind of guy and the Cards organization would do anything to get an edge.

Look at Rosenthal last night. Goes from obscurity to suddenly throwing 100 mph. Something is up there. Huge red flag.

westofyou
06-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Yeah, when your team loses the other team must have cheated.

Logic town here we come

Vottomatic
06-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Yeah, when your team loses the other team must have cheated.

Logic town here we come

.....or maybe just having a little fun with the Cards posters on here. I guess that went over your head. :eek:

joshua
06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Tommy Lasorda. Dude's put on a ton of mass in recent years. Not to mention the crazy shape of his head. Those are some telling signs.

Falcon7
06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
He had a two year period in NY where he was injured, otherwise the whole often injured mantra is overblown. He's played in 140+ games 11 times in his 16 year career and one of those years was a year where he just played 14 games as a late season call up at 21 years old.

Agreed, he always had a ton of natural talent.

texasdave
06-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Andy Pettitte is a devout Christian and pretty much the last person I would have suspected. He used. Just sayin'.

MikeThierry
06-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I think the whole Cardinals organization needs to be tested. They're past indicates they promote that kind of stuff with McGwire. And TLR's former days in Oakland with Canseco and McGwire. I wouldn't put it past TLR promoting steroids or even selling the stuff to his players. He seemed like that kind of guy and the Cards organization would do anything to get an edge.

Look at Rosenthal last night. Goes from obscurity to suddenly throwing 100 mph. Something is up there. Huge red flag.

huh?? When they drafted him, he was already pitching in the mid-90's. When the Cards scouted him, he just transitioned from a SS to a pitcher so there wasn't a whole lot of scouts clamoring for him as a pitcher at the time because he only pitched 4 innings in his college career. It's not unreasonable for a young guy, who already threw mid-90's with limited pitching experience, to gain slight velocity after getting more experience and learning how to pitch. The Cardinals took a flyer on him believing he had huge upside and it's paid off. You might want to attribute the success of Rosenthal to the Cardinals taking risks in the draft and good development rather than anything nefarious.

Salukifan2
06-13-2013, 05:50 PM
huh?? When they drafted him, he was already pitching in the mid-90's. When the Cards scouted him, he just transitioned from a SS to a pitcher so there wasn't a whole lot of scouts clamoring for him as a pitcher at the time because he only pitched 4 innings in his college career. It's not unreasonable for a young guy, who already threw mid-90's with limited pitching experience, to gain slight velocity after getting more experience and learning how to pitch. The Cardinals took a flyer on him believing he had huge upside and it's paid off. You might want to attribute the success of Rosenthal to the Cardinals taking risks in the draft and good development rather than anything nefarious.

He already said it was a joke on the last page Mike

Stan Musial 33
06-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Marco Scutaro. Career year at 37? uh-huh

foxfire123
06-22-2013, 05:40 PM

I don't think just the Cardinals players, I'm beginning to think maybe at least a year of mandatory weekly testing for every player on a MLB roster. It would ferret out the occasional users, as well as the regulars. And if nothing else, raise public opinion that MLB "is doing something about it".

Overkill? You betcha. Incredibly expensive? You betcha. Players association having a fit and fall into it? You betcha. Players and media having fits and falling in? You betcha.

But it might stop this questioning once and for all.

Dwarftree
06-25-2013, 06:50 AM
I think the far more important question is: How would you react if a Reds player, who has been convicted of juicing comes to his first at bat after his suspension?

While i certainly hope it will not happen: Should one of our guys would be that one, i sincerely hope all of the GABP crowd would BOO! the heck out of him. Show these cheaters that we don´t want that in any sports. Even if it concerns one of "our" players. Pack your bag and get the heck outta here.

Don Cameron
06-25-2013, 08:28 AM
If you're not cheatin you're not trying

Don Cameron
Nice guys finish last

SporkLover
06-26-2013, 07:35 PM
I hope baseball puts this legacy and these shenanigans behind it soon.

I get that before it was specifically Verboten, that PEDs may have helped spark baseball's resurgence (Big Mac and Sosa)..... but I think everyone can agree now that there is no room for it these days.