PDA

View Full Version : Official 2013 Day 1 Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 10:29 AM
This is the Official 2013 Day 1 Draft thread.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Killing me Gallen! Anyway, here is my wishlist for today:

PICK 27 (no particular order, guys I want at this spot):

Ian Clarkin LHP HS
Austin Wilson OF Stanford
Jon Denney C HS
Tim Anderson SS/2B JuCo
Billy McKinney OF HS
Sean Manaea LHP Indiana St.

PICK 38 (In my mind, this is the best spot to take a pitcher):

Rob Kaminsky LHP HS
Hunter Dozier INF Stephen F. Austin
Marco Gonzales LHP Gonzaga (I've come around a bit, but still don't want him at 27)
Phil Ervin OF Samford
Matt Krook LHP HS
Hunter Green LHP HS

PICK 67

Andrew Thurman RHP UC-Irvine
Riley Unroe SS HS
JaCoby Jones 2B LSU
Justin Williams OF HS
Cord Sandberg OF HS
Blake Taylor LHP HS

RedTeamGo!
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Marco Gonzales is the pick!

(I am saying this so I can reference this post in about 9 hours when I am proven right!)

Benihana
06-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Final BA Mock has Reds taking Ervin.

Other names mentioned are Harvey, T.Anderson, C.Anderson, Ciuffo, Jagielo, Denney, Green, and McKinney.

Ervin is interesting because he has a lot of "all-around skills." The pessimist in me worries about Ryan LaMarre and other polished CF types without a standout skill. Another comp for him could be an OF version of Rickie Weeks (great bat speed and athleticism).

RedlegJake
06-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Given prior years it will be a guy mentioned mostly in passing and will first be panned and then reconsidered as more info is obtained. Gonzales seems a big reach at 27 or not reach but "play it safe" but I'd love him at 38. I'd rather grab the highest upside player still on the board in their opinion, hitter or pitcher, at 27. Manea will need labrum surgery more than likely from what I read on different sites. Plus he is represented by the evil Zurg. Ervin and then Gonzales would be great but it will almost certainly be 2 entirely different players. After about 10 picks there are a couple rounds worth of guys that I just feel are so close its impossible for outsiders to differentiate.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Given prior years it will be a guy mentioned mostly in passing and will first be panned and then reconsidered as more info is obtained. Gonzales seems a big reach at 27 or not reach but "play it safe" but I'd love him at 38. I'd rather grab the highest upside player still on the board in their opinion, hitter or pitcher, at 27. Manea will need labrum surgery more than likely from what I read on different sites. Plus he is represented by the evil Zurg. Ervin and then Gonzales would be great but it will almost certainly be 2 entirely different players. After about 10 picks there are a couple rounds worth of guys that I just feel are so close its impossible for outsiders to differentiate.

Agree with all of this. If Manaea really needs labrum surgery, CROSS HIM OFF THEN. (Rachel Phelps voice)

Tom Servo
06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Nick Travieso
RHP
Archbishop McCarthy High School, Fort Lauderdale

Robert Stephenson
RHP
Alhambra High School

Yasmani Grandal
C
Miami

Mike Leake
RHP
Arizona State

Yonder Alonso
1B
Univ. of Miami (Fla.)

In Walt and Chris Buckley I trust.

bubbachunk
06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
What time does it start?

RedlegJake
06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
That's a solid run of top picks with only Nick still an unknown quantity but still with very high hopes. They've nailed it 5 years running....that is pretty amazing given the flop rate even for #1s.

RedlegJake
06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
What time does it start?

7 cst 6 prepick show on mlb network

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Killing me Gallen! Anyway, here is my wishlist for today:

PICK 27 (no particular order, guys I want at this spot):

Ian Clarkin LHP HS
Austin Wilson OF Stanford
Jon Denney C HS
Tim Anderson SS/2B JuCo
Billy McKinney OF HS
Sean Manaea LHP Indiana St.

PICK 38 (In my mind, this is the best spot to take a pitcher):

Rob Kaminsky LHP HS
Hunter Dozier INF Stephen F. Austin
Marco Gonzales LHP Gonzaga (I've come around a bit, but still don't want him at 27)
Phil Ervin OF Samford
Matt Krook LHP HS
Hunter Green LHP HS

PICK 67

Andrew Thurman RHP UC-Irvine
Riley Unroe SS HS
JaCoby Jones 2B LSU
Justin Williams OF HS
Cord Sandberg OF HS
Blake Taylor LHP HS

Kaminsky is not likely to last until 38. There's a chance he'll last till 27. Law has him going at 24. BA has him going at 32.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 11:58 AM
That's a solid run of top picks with only Nick still an unknown quantity but still with very high hopes. They've nailed it 5 years running....that is pretty amazing given the flop rate even for #1s.

I'm going to be a bit nit picky:

While I agree Buckley and Walt have an EXCELLENT track record, I think it's a bit premature if not misleading to be saying that they "nailed" the Alonso pick. A 1B with a career OPS below .756 is not all that great for a Top 10 pick.

(Cue the "if they make the majors it's a success" chatter)

Ironically Stephenson, one of the two guys on the list that hasn't yet pitched above A ball, was their best draft pick IMO, especially when factoring where he was taken.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Kaminsky is not likely to last until 38. There's a chance he'll last till 27. Law has him going at 24. BA has him going at 32.

Fair point, but some of these guys always leak out of the top 20, sometimes top 40, even when they are "consensus" guys. Look at where Rahier was mocked to last year.

Almost guaranteed there will be 1-2 "surefire first rounders" available when the Reds pick at 38.

That said, I wouldn't be mad if we took Kaminsky at 27.

lollipopcurve
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Almost guaranteed there will be 1-2 "surefire first rounders" available when the Reds pick at 38.

Also guaranteed there is a reason other than negligence on the part of every team in MLB.

medford
06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Nick Travieso
RHP

Robert Stephenson
RHP
Alhambra High School

Yasmani Grandal
C
Miami

Mike Leake
RHP
Arizona State

Yonder Alonso
1B
Univ. of Miami (Fla.)

In Walt and Chris Buckley I trust.

Extend it back a little further, though I'm not sure if Buckley was in the organization at this point:

2007 they got Mes, plus Frasier & Lotzkar in the sandwhich round
2006 brought Drew Stubbs
2005 gave them Jay Bruce
2004 provided David Homer Bailey
2003 flashed Ryan Wagner

That's a pretty solid track record for the top of the draft. Throw in some other low round picks like Votto and it gets even better.

Of course the 14 years prior the Reds #1 picks looked like this:

Scott Bryant, Dan Wilson, Pokey Reese, Chad Mottola, Pat Watkins, CJ Nitkowski (no pick in 95 1st round), John Oliver, Matt Mclendon, Brandon Larson, Austin Kearns, Ty Howington, David Espinosa, Dustin Mosely, the punting of Jeremy Sowers, Chris Gruler and Mark Schramek. That's a big ol' chain with only a few above average ML seasons to show for it.

When Pokey Reese (or would you argue Kearns or Dan wilson) is your most successful 1st round pick over 14 years, you're bound to struggle.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Extend it back a little further, though I'm not sure if Buckley was in the organization at this point:

2006 brought Drew Stubbs
2005 gave them Jay Bruce
2003 flashed Ryan Wagner

That's a pretty solid track record for the top of the draft. Throw in some other low round picks like Votto and it gets even better.

Scott Bryant, Dan Wilson, Pokey Reese, Chad Mottola, Pat Watkins, CJ Nitkowski (no pick in 95 1st round), John Oliver, Matt Mclendon, Brandon Larson, Austin Kearns, Ty Howington, David Espinosa, Dustin Mosely, the punting of Jeremy Sowers, Chris Gruler and Mark Schramek. That's a big ol' chain with only a few above average ML seasons to show for it.

When Pokey Reese (or would you argue Kearns or Dan wilson) is your most successful 1st round pick over 14 years, you're bound to struggle.

IIRC Buckley started at the helm in 2006, which was clearly his worst draft (but still not bad considering it produced Stubbs and Heisey, as well as fringe major leaguers Turner, Valaika, and Roenicke.) 2010 may be rivaling it, as the only two looking like major leaguers at this point are Grandal and hopefully Drew Cisco.

But when praising how awesome these guys have been (and they have been awesome drafters), don't forget a few of the better picks after the first round (Cingrani, Winker, Hamilton, Stewart, etc.)

Tom Servo
06-06-2013, 12:12 PM

2006 brought Drew Stubbs
2005 gave them Jay Bruce
2003 flashed Ryan Wagner

Buckley became the Reds Scouting Director in 06, so Stubbs and Mesoraco are his as well, though it was under the Krivsky administration.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Law's final mock has Reds taking Denney, with Wilson and T.Anderson off the board but McKinney and Clarkin still available - the latter of which falls all the way to the last pick in the 1st round.

Kaminsky, Dozier, Green and Krook also go first round in Law's Mock.

I'm starting to get some weird feeling the Reds may draft Ciuffo or Jagielo - two names I can't pronounce and don't know a ton about. They'd certainly fit into the same motif as Travieso and Mesoraco.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Manaea dropping due to injury concerns with his hip or something.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Manaea dropping due to injury concerns with his hip or something.

Yep. Sounds like he's a guy that will need to re-enter the draft next year to get the money he'll want.

Boro_BG_Red
06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm really big into watching video and studying NFL Draft prospects but I have to read reports for the MLB Draft. I couldn't find anything on whether Denney will stay at catcher. Does anyone know if he can stay there? If he has to move, his appeal obviously decreases a bit.

19braves77
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm really big into watching video and studying NFL Draft prospects but I have to read reports for the MLB Draft. I couldn't find anything on whether Denney will stay at catcher. Does anyone know if he can stay there? If he has to move, his appeal obviously decreases a bit.

Denney will be moved just like Will Myers was moved to get his bat to the Majors quicker.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Final BA Mock has Reds taking Ervin.

Other names mentioned are Harvey, T.Anderson, C.Anderson, Ciuffo, Jagielo, Denney, Green, and McKinney.

Ervin is interesting because he has a lot of "all-around skills." The pessimist in me worries about Ryan LaMarre and other polished CF types without a standout skill. Another comp for him could be an OF version of Rickie Weeks (great bat speed and athleticism).

After I read this post, I looked at some more scouting reports on Ervin and I definitely thought of LaMarre immediately. Count me in the camp that does not want Ervin especially if Jagielo, Denney, Harvey and McKinney are on the board.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Denney will be moved just like Will Myers was moved to get his bat to the Majors quicker.

If Denney can swing it like Myers, I really want him... at any defensive position.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Law's final mock has Reds taking Denney, with Wilson and T.Anderson off the board but McKinney and Clarkin still available - the latter of which falls all the way to the last pick in the 1st round.

Kaminsky, Dozier, Green and Krook also go first round in Law's Mock.

I'm starting to get some weird feeling the Reds may draft Ciuffo or Jagielo - two names I can't pronounce and don't know a ton about. They'd certainly fit into the same motif as Travieso and Mesoraco.

I like the way Law's mock has it going. Can't go wrong with Denney or McKinney and to a lesser degree, Crowe.

I would not mind Ciuffo or Jagielo. Ciuffo definitely looks like he is going to stick behind the dish and could be an above-average regular.

Jagielo seems to be a pretty polished third baseman prospect. Doesn't seem like there is tons of upside with either Ciuffo or Jagielo, but both could be great picks.

I still prefer Denney or McKinney.

Boro_BG_Red
06-06-2013, 01:28 PM
If Denney can swing it like Myers, I really want him... at any defensive position.
If he had a Myers bat, I'd imagine he would go earlier, no? Anyway, Law has had Denney to the Reds in his past three mocks, has to be something there.

Kc61
06-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't know much about this year's draft.

Based on my reading I hope the Reds take Marco Gonzalez or Tim Anderson. Gonzalez sounds to me like a lefty Mike Leake. He has a good pedigree. The Reds need lefty pitchers coming up. "High ceiling" is generally synonymous with velocity. This guy sounds like a pitcher more than a thrower, but that doesn't mean he can't be very good. If Anderson is available he sounds like a middle infielder or CF with a good bat and a very good athlete. Guys at those positions who hit are important.

Based on recent history, however, I'm expecting the Reds to take a projectable HS pitcher like Hunter Green, Hunter Harvey, Bickford, Clarkin, Kaminsky or Serrano.

I doubt they will go for a high school catcher. The Mesoraco experience shows how tough a grind that is. The college catcher, Ciuffo is a much better likelihood, if he is available. McKinney sounds a bit like Winker to me. I doubt they go for another corner outfielder in the first round.

So I'm hoping for Gonzalez or Anderson, but expecting a high school pitcher. College catcher Ciuffo would be someone else I can see them taking, if available.

If they don't take a HS pitcher in the first round, I'd expect it with their second pick.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 02:16 PM
My prediction (not necessarily what I want) is that the Reds will take a college player at 27.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Some outstanding links to Doug's work on this year's draft prospects. They are complete with video and hard to find stats, as well as info on if they've been linked to the Reds...Doug, why didn't you refer us earlier!?!?:

Nick Ciuffo – Catcher – Lexington High School (South Carolina)
Phillip Ervin – Outfield – Samford
Rob Kaminsky – Left Handed Pitcher – St. Joseph High Regional High School (New Jersey)
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/28/2013-draft-scouting-reports-part-one/

Jonathan Denney – Catcher – Yukon High School (Oklahoma)
Hunter Harvey – Right Handed Pitcher – Bandys High Schol (North Carolina)
Phil Bickford – Right Handed Pitcher – Oaks Christian High School (California)
Chris Anderson – Right Handed Pitcher – Jacksonville
Billy McKinney – Outfielder – Plano High School (Texas)
Marco Gonzales – Left Handed Pitcher – Gonzaga
Austin Wilson – Outfielder – Stanford
Aaron Judge – Outfielder – Fresno State
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/30/2013-draft-scouting-reports-part-two/

Hunter Green – Left Handed Pitcher – Warren East High School (Kentucky)
Matt Krook – Left Handed Pitcher – St. Ignatius High School (California)
Connor Jones – Right Handed Pitcher – Great Bridge High School (Virginia)
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/31/2013-draft-scouting-reports-part-three/

Tim Anderson - SS – East Central Junior College
Kyle Serrano – RHP – Farragut High School (Tennessee)
Bobby Wahl – RHP – Mississippi
Ryan Eades – Right Handed Pitcher – LSU
Oscar Mercado – Shortstop – Gaither High School (Florida)
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/03/2013-mlb-draft-scouting-reports-part-four/

Hunter Dozier – Shortstop – Stephen F. Austin State
Cord Sandberg – Outfield – Manatee High School (Florida)
Aaron Blair – Right Handed Pitcher – Marshall
Alex Balog – Right Handed Pitcher – San Francisco
Alex Gonzalez – Right Handed Pitcher – Oral Roberts
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/04/2013-mlb-draft-scouting-reports-part-five/

Devin Williams – Right Handed Pitcher – Hazelwood High School (Missouri)
Andrew Thurman – Right Handed Pitcher – UC Irvine
Tom Windle – Left Handed Pitcher – Minnesota
Corey Knebel – Right Handed Pitcher – Texas
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/05/2013-mlb-draft-scouting-reports-part-six/

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I got to say Doug, you are too modest when it comes to pushing your info out there. Thanks a ton for this stuff.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
My Doug informed new perspective:

1) McKinney
2) Denny
3) Chris Anderson
4) Judge
5) Ervin
6) Tim Anderson
7) Sandburg

If we get any 2 of these I'll be really happy.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 02:51 PM
If he had a Myers bat, I'd imagine he would go earlier, no? Anyway, Law has had Denney to the Reds in his past three mocks, has to be something there.

Wil Myers himself was just a third round pick. I really hope there is fire to the Denney smoke.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Wil Myers himself was just a third round pick. I really hope there is fire to the Denney smoke.

Yeah, I really like his swing in the video.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't know much about this year's draft.

Based on my reading I hope the Reds take Marco Gonzalez or Tim Anderson. Gonzalez sounds to me like a lefty Mike Leake. He has a good pedigree. The Reds need lefty pitchers coming up. "High ceiling" is generally synonymous with velocity. This guy sounds like a pitcher more than a thrower, but that doesn't mean he can't be very good. If Anderson is available he sounds like a middle infielder or CF with a good bat and a very good athlete. Guys at those positions who hit are important.

Based on recent history, however, I'm expecting the Reds to take a projectable HS pitcher like Hunter Green, Hunter Harvey, Bickford, Clarkin, Kaminsky or Serrano.

I doubt they will go for a high school catcher. The Mesoraco experience shows how tough a grind that is. The college catcher, Ciuffo is a much better likelihood, if he is available. McKinney sounds a bit like Winker to me. I doubt they go for another corner outfielder in the first round.

So I'm hoping for Gonzalez or Anderson, but expecting a high school pitcher. College catcher Ciuffo would be someone else I can see them taking, if available.

If they don't take a HS pitcher in the first round, I'd expect it with their second pick.

Kc61, I just have a few things I would like to say in response to your post. First, Ciuffo is a high school catcher, just like McGuire and Denney. Sure, Mesoraco has taken a while to develop, but I think the Reds are pretty happy with the way that has turned out. Furthermore, Denney may not even see any time behind the dish if the Reds are as down on Denney's glove as 19braves77 is. Either way, if the Reds take either of those three, I would be happy with the Reds "delaying" their bats if they have a legitimate chance to stick behind the dish in the majors.

As for McKinney, I can't imagine the Reds doing anything but cartwheels if another Winker is on the board at #27. I like the scouting reports I have read on McKinney's bat. You can't concern yourself too much with the current make-up of the minor leagues or big league roster because prospect rankings and the big league roster itself is so fluid. Even if McKinney and Winker develop into monster bats and we still have Bruce in a corner outfield spot, I am sure we will find somewhere for all three bats to play and if we can't, it is a problem I am fine with having.

Sure, I wish McKinney played a more "premium" defensive position, but I would rather have a premium bat than a premium glove.

I have already stated my opinion of Gonzales in the other draft pick thread. I have no problem with it, but he seems to be falling out of the first round in the mocks I have seen so he could be there at #38.

I wouldn't mind a high upside high school arm, but I think I may prefer a bat. Either way, I hope the Reds go BPA unless the BPA has ridiculous bonus demands.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Some outstanding links to Doug's work on this year's draft prospects. They are complete with video and hard to find stats, as well as info on if they've been linked to the Reds...Doug, why didn't you refer us earlier!?!?:

Nick Ciuffo – Catcher – Lexington High School (South Carolina)
Phillip Ervin – Outfield – Samford
Rob Kaminsky – Left Handed Pitcher – St. Joseph High Regional High School (New Jersey)
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/28/2013-draft-scouting-reports-part-one/

Jonathan Denney – Catcher – Yukon High School (Oklahoma)
Hunter Harvey – Right Handed Pitcher – Bandys High Schol (North Carolina)
Phil Bickford – Right Handed Pitcher – Oaks Christian High School (California)
Chris Anderson – Right Handed Pitcher – Jacksonville
Billy McKinney – Outfielder – Plano High School (Texas)
Marco Gonzales – Left Handed Pitcher – Gonzaga
Austin Wilson – Outfielder – Stanford
Aaron Judge – Outfielder – Fresno State
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/30/2013-draft-scouting-reports-part-two/

Hunter Green – Left Handed Pitcher – Warren East High School (Kentucky)
Matt Krook – Left Handed Pitcher – St. Ignatius High School (California)
Connor Jones – Right Handed Pitcher – Great Bridge High School (Virginia)
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/05/31/2013-draft-scouting-reports-part-three/

Tim Anderson - SS – East Central Junior College
Kyle Serrano – RHP – Farragut High School (Tennessee)
Bobby Wahl – RHP – Mississippi
Ryan Eades – Right Handed Pitcher – LSU
Oscar Mercado – Shortstop – Gaither High School (Florida)
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/03/2013-mlb-draft-scouting-reports-part-four/

Hunter Dozier – Shortstop – Stephen F. Austin State
Cord Sandberg – Outfield – Manatee High School (Florida)
Aaron Blair – Right Handed Pitcher – Marshall
Alex Balog – Right Handed Pitcher – San Francisco
Alex Gonzalez – Right Handed Pitcher – Oral Roberts
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/04/2013-mlb-draft-scouting-reports-part-five/

Devin Williams – Right Handed Pitcher – Hazelwood High School (Missouri)
Andrew Thurman – Right Handed Pitcher – UC Irvine
Tom Windle – Left Handed Pitcher – Minnesota
Corey Knebel – Right Handed Pitcher – Texas
http://redsminorleagues.com/2013/06/05/2013-mlb-draft-scouting-reports-part-six/

Just to update what doug has on his website, the Reds have now been linked to Erwin. As Benihana said in post #4, BA has mocked Erwin to the Reds in their final mock. BTW, doug seems much higher on Erwin than Keith Law. I hope what doug has heard from scouts is correct, if we take him.

redsmetz
06-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Nick Travieso
RHP

I've always thought it ironic that Travieso's school is named after someone who was born in Cincinnati and was first a bishop here before moving on to other diocese.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I got to say Doug, you are too modest when it comes to pushing your info out there. Thanks a ton for this stuff.

Some of those guys have since been linked to the Reds, but weren't at the time of writing.

As for me pushing my own stuff out there.... it is against the site rules.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Just to update what doug has on his website, the Reds have now been linked to Erwin. As Benihana said in post #4, BA has mocked Erwin to the Reds in their final mock. BTW, doug seems much higher on Erwin than Keith Law. I hope what doug has heard from scouts is correct, if we take him.

I talked to very few scouts about these guys. Hardly any of my contacts are the guys who scout high school/college talents. I simply used freely available video and scouting reports for the data.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I talked to very few scouts about these guys. Hardly any of my contacts are the guys who scout high school/college talents. I simply used freely available video and scouting reports for the data.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, doug. I am making my way through your reports now and if this is in there, please disregard this question, but what is your wish list for pick #27 and/or #38?

RedTeamGo!
06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Doug: Final predictions for the Reds first and second pick tonight?

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Some of those guys have since been linked to the Reds, but weren't at the time of writing.

I do understand that, although there has to be a point where the info is available nowhere else and it becomes a service to the site. I mean, we all know you're not a spammer. And guilty me, I didn't check your site sooner, perhaps many others did. I don't know, the collection is so thorough and Reds related, maybe there should be a site promotion sticky so people like me don't miss this good stuff.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Doug, Austin Wilson question for you:

You say: "He has some concerns with his pitch recognition," but to me, it appears he has had a pretty solid walk rate the last couple years. Is that because he has not seen to many tough breaking balls yet, which is why pitch recognition concerns do not appear in his college numbers or what else makes up the concerns with his pitch recognition ability.

I ask, because I am very interested in Austin Wilson at #27.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Doug, Austin Wilson question for you:

You say: "He has some concerns with his pitch recognition," but to me, it appears he has had a pretty solid walk rate the last couple years. Is that because he has not seen to many tough breaking balls yet, which is why pitch recognition concerns do not appear in his college numbers or what else makes up the concerns with his pitch recognition ability.

I ask, because I am very interested in Austin Wilson at #27.

I was just passing along what I have heard. I haven't seen him nearly enough to answer that question and as I noted, I don't really have many contacts that are still scouting the high school/college ranks so I can't reach out for information on that either.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, doug. I am making my way through your reports now and if this is in there, please disregard this question, but what is your wish list for pick #27 and/or #38?

As always, you don't always know all of the reports on everyone. Last year, I had never even looked at Nick Travieso as a potential Reds pick because of where he was ranked. Then after they drafted him I started seeing the scouting reports and was confused as to how he was ranked so low. So there could always be someone who sneaks in that I didn't see or that our guys saw something that others didn't and I believe our guys are plenty trustable on what they are seeing given their track record of success.

In no order, I am a big fan of these guys: Phil Ervin, Tim Anderson, Billy McKinney, Hunter Green, Hunter Harvey, Kyle Serrano, Chris Anderson and Alex Balog.

Guys I wouldn't mind being picked, but aren't likely the first choice: Austin Wilson, Aaron Blair, Bobby Wahl, Marco Gonazles, Jon Denney and Nick Ciuffo.

Guy I wasn't impressed with at all: Oscar Mercado.

PuffyPig
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm going to be a bit nit picky:

While I agree Buckley and Walt have an EXCELLENT track record, I think it's a bit premature if not misleading to be saying that they "nailed" the Alonso pick. A 1B with a career OPS below .756 is not all that great for a Top 10 pick.

(Cue the "if they make the majors it's a success" chatter)

It's at least arguable that since we were able to trade Alonso and get great value for him (the Pads traded Rizzo once they got Alonso, so you know they valued Alonso highly) in a trade for Matt Latos, that "our book" is closed on Alonso regardless of what he does from here on out and, accordingly, the pick was "nailed".

Kc61
06-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Kc61, I just have a few things I would like to say in response to your post. First, Ciuffo is a high school catcher, just like McGuire and Denney. Sure, Mesoraco has taken a while to develop, but I think the Reds are pretty happy with the way that has turned out. Furthermore, Denney may not even see any time behind the dish if the Reds are as down on Denney's glove as 19braves77 is. Either way, if the Reds take either of those three, I would be happy with the Reds "delaying" their bats if they have a legitimate chance to stick behind the dish in the majors.

As for McKinney, I can't imagine the Reds doing anything but cartwheels if another Winker is on the board at #27. I like the scouting reports I have read on McKinney's bat. You can't concern yourself too much with the current make-up of the minor leagues or big league roster because prospect rankings and the big league roster itself is so fluid. Even if McKinney and Winker develop into monster bats and we still have Bruce in a corner outfield spot, I am sure we will find somewhere for all three bats to play and if we can't, it is a problem I am fine with having.

Sure, I wish McKinney played a more "premium" defensive position, but I would rather have a premium bat than a premium glove.

I have already stated my opinion of Gonzales in the other draft pick thread. I have no problem with it, but he seems to be falling out of the first round in the mocks I have seen so he could be there at #38.

I wouldn't mind a high upside high school arm, but I think I may prefer a bat. Either way, I hope the Reds go BPA unless the BPA has ridiculous bonus demands.

Sorry about the mistake about the catcher, as I said I'm not that familiar. I recall when Mes was picked some said HS catchers are a big risk. As for McKinney, Reds might tend toward someone who plays a more premium position.

Tim Anderson and Gonzalez sound good to me, but just on paper. I've been too busy lately watching the Reds relievers give up eighth inning homers, etc.

LoganBuck
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
My list

Want
McKinney
Denney
Harvey
Green

Guys I don't want at all
Austin Wilson don't like his swing
Aaron Judge hate his swing, given frame looks like a K machine
Kaminsky don't like his frame
Marco Gonzales no crafty lefties in first round
Oscar Mercado bat made of balsa

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2013, 04:09 PM

I thought it was okay if it was in an existing thread about a topic? Do I have that wrong.

I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would have a tough time with you posting about your draft work/findings in an existing draft thread. It's not like your some spammer.

Edd Roush
06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Sorry about the mistake about the catcher, as I said I'm not that familiar. I recall when Mes was picked some said HS catchers are a big risk. As for McKinney, Reds might tend toward someone who plays a more premium position.

Tim Anderson and Gonzalez sound good to me, but just on paper. I've been too busy lately watching the Reds relievers give up eighth inning homers, etc.

I can see the Reds wanting a premium position guy, but I feel like most would be a reach at #27. Tim Anderson and Phil Ervin seem to be the two that would make the most sense, but I still prefer the premium bats of McKinney or Denney over the positional value.

RedTeamGo!
06-06-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9348666/the-mlb-draft-work-quite-possibly-immoral-replace-it

Excellent article about the absurdity of the draft and an alternative that may be better.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Wait, have the Reds EVER taken someone we all thought they would in the Jocketty era? I dont believe they have.

19braves77
06-06-2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9348666/the-mlb-draft-work-quite-possibly-immoral-replace-it

Excellent article about the absurdity of the draft and an alternative that may be better.

Do you think any player under the free agent system would want to play for the Astros, Mariners, or Rays when they were bad ? Ask any HS kid from Alabama and his dream is to play for the Braves or Yankees. You would have teams like Seattle with a bunch of tenth round talent options while the Dodgers get all the 2nd Round talent. The kids would take a discount to play for the Yankees.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Wait, have the Reds EVER taken someone we all thought they would in the Jocketty era? I dont believe they have.

Of course Jocketty doesn't really make the pick, so that doesn't matter much. The Reds have been tied pretty strongly to a few guys that they wound up taking since Buckley took over. Stubbs, Alonso, Mesoraco.

RedlegJake
06-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Extremely provocative article....but it makes so much sense owners will never go for it....mlb has the dumbest owners of all major sports. They can never create rules that work because they have the least cooperation between owners of all major sports. Then you layer that with the PA and any smart decisions are nearly impossible. Greed and self interest rule instead of fairness or common sense.

19braves77
06-06-2013, 05:39 PM
PG reporting Astros will decide between Moran or Stewart. Appel out of picture.

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2013, 06:01 PM

I thought Stephenson was linked heavily 2 years ago to the Reds? Maybe I have that wrong, but I thought he was the pick all along.

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 06:09 PM
PG reporting Astros will decide between Moran or Stewart. Appel out of picture.

Aren't they getting cute, eh?

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Travis Demeritte is a guy I would love to see the Reds take at 38 if he's still there.

BearcatShane
06-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Doug this is random but do you know anything at all about this Connor Heady kid from North Oldham HS in Kentucky? Supposedy he is supposed to go in the first few rounds.

LoganBuck
06-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I thought Stephenson was linked heavily 2 years ago to the Reds? Maybe I have that wrong, but I thought he was the pick all along.

Yep, the Reds were al .over Stephenson 2 years ago.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Doug this is random but do you know anything at all about this Connor Heady kid from North Oldham HS in Kentucky? Supposedy he is supposed to go in the first few rounds.

Not a lot other than he is expected to head to college.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 06:26 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-4-1-one-more-last-chance/

An hour before the draft was set to begin at 7 p.m. Eastern, here’s our last, best guess as to what will happen in the first round. If the Astros know who they’re taking No. 1 overall, they’re not telling, and they may still be in the process of making the decision.

As a result, I’m standing pat with my projected top five picks from Mock Draft 4.0 this morning, rather than rip it all up based on the various rumors that are flying around. Besides the No. 1 choice, the selection that’s bothering me the most is the Royals at No. 8. They may have cut a deal with California high school righthander Phil Bickford, who does have helium, but I can’t confirm it to the point where I feel comfortable putting him there. So I’m leaving him at No. 23 (Rangers) and may regret that decision.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Just a name to remember: Jacoby Jones. Had a scout tell me the Reds really liked him and the scout has local ties to the area. I doubt he winds up in the 1/1s round, but keep an eye on him in the 2nd/3rd.

19braves77
06-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Jonathan Gray just said one of the things he wants to do after he signs is put rims on his car.

Today's youth. :confused:

LoganBuck
06-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Just a name to remember: Jacoby Jones. Had a scout tell me the Reds really liked him and the scout has local ties to the area. I doubt he winds up in the 1/1s round, but keep an eye on him in the 2nd/3rd.

http://mattsko.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/loose-lips-3500.jpg

Benihana
06-06-2013, 06:59 PM

I've liked Jones for a long time and he is one of my top targets with the 67th pick. I'd love it if we got him there.

Drugs Delaney
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
I will guess Josh Hart in the first.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Mark Appel, rhp, Stanford

edabbs44
06-06-2013, 07:16 PM

He always tempts me in fantasy football drafts, hopefully Walt doesn't fall prey to his potential.

WVRed
06-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Mark Appel, rhp, Stanford

Did not see that one coming. Thought it would have been Gray at a discounted price. I thought I read he was written off for the no 1 overall pick.

M2
06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Caught a glimpse of Eric Davis representing the Reds at the draft. Looks like he's still in game shape.

LoganBuck
06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
He always tempts me in fantasy football drafts, hopefully Walt doesn't fall prey to his potential.

This is going to be the year. Did you see him in the Super Bowl.....

M2
06-06-2013, 07:19 PM
And the Cubs select Kris Bryant, which I guess qualifies as an official mea culpa for the Josh Vitters pick.

edabbs44
06-06-2013, 07:19 PM
This is going to be the year. Did you see him in the Super Bowl.....

My wife won't stop talking about him from Dancing with the Stars.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Jonathan Gray, rhp, Oklahoma

M2
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Jonathan Gray surely just shouted a pile of expletives after the Rockies took him.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Kohl Stewart, rhp, St. Pius X HS, Houston

19braves77
06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Clint Frazier next ?

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Jonathan Gray surely just shouted a pile of expletives after the Rockies took him.

Live television rules.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Clint Frazier, of, Loganville (Ga.) HS

19braves77
06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I m guessing Meadows to Marlins since my mock draft went to crap.

M2
06-06-2013, 07:40 PM
So is Miami trying to trade its pick for two fourth graders?

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Colin Moran, 3b, North Carolina

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 07:44 PM
This is the first time that the Marlins have selected a college player in the first round in 17 years. That is crazy.

19braves77
06-06-2013, 07:47 PM
This is the first time that the Marlins have selected a college player in the first round in 17 years. That is crazy.

Theirl like me. I prefer prep players.

edabbs44
06-06-2013, 07:48 PM

You sure?

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Trey Ball, lhp, New Castle (Ind.) HS

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 07:50 PM
You sure?

https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/342788883718742016

Wow, Marlins haven't taken a college bat with their first pick since Mark Kotsay 17 years ago. Never heard them on him.

No, not sure. But it was tweeted by Keith Law.

edabbs44
06-06-2013, 07:52 PM
https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/342788883718742016

Wow, Marlins haven't taken a college bat with their first pick since Mark Kotsay 17 years ago. Never heard them on him.

No, not sure. But it was tweeted by Keith Law.

Oh, bat. Got it. But Coghlan was a supp a few years back.

texasdave
06-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Do they get five minutes per pick? If so, I am gonna walk my dog.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Oh, bat. Got it. But Coghlan was a supp a few years back.

Supp with that?

I really could use a nap. I should step away from the computer for a little bit. I honestly thought that was going to be funny.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Do they get five minutes per pick? If so, I am gonna walk my dog.

Yes.

texasdave
06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Yes.

Thanks.

edabbs44
06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Supp with that?

I really could use a nap. I should step away from the computer for a little bit. I honestly thought that was going to be funny.

Wazzzzz suuuuupppppppppp?

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Hunter Dozier, ss, Stephen F. Austin State

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Austin Meadows, of, Grayson HS, Loganville, Ga

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Phil Bickford, rhp, Oaks Christian HS, Westlake Village, Calif

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Dominic Smith, 1b, Serra HS, Gardena, Calif.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:19 PM
D.J. Peterson, 3b/1b, New Mexico

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Hunter Renfroe, of, Mississippi State

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Reese McGuire, c, Kentwood HS, Covington, Wash

podgejeff_
06-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Any particular reason Braden Shipley is still on the board?

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2013, 08:33 PM
MLB.com is "turrible." Their live feed (and even their draft tracker) is all messed up. Thank goodness for RedsZone.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 08:34 PM
MLB.com is "turrible." Their live feed (and even their draft tracker) is all messed up. Thank goodness for RedsZone.

You don't have MLB Network?!

Red Swagger
06-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Billy McKinney
Phillip Ervin
Hunter Harvey
Tim Anderson
Eric Jagielo
Tom Windle

Reds absolutely need to take the BPA

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Anyone else think the Pirates will regret for years not giving Appel what he wanted last year. Say what you want about money given to draft picks; it's nothing compared to what MLB free agents get. You draft a college pitcher and he's good, you control him for several years at a relatively cheap rate.

Pirates failed on that one. I know they made a nice pick at #9 this year to "make up for" losing Appel, but I bet they will regret not giving Appel what he wanted.

_Sir_Charles_
06-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Well, I don't think they're as TURRIBLE as all that, but I can't get the live feed to load at all.

Btw...my nick isn't related to Barkley at all...but I love the TURRIBLE stuff. Laugh every time I hear him. :O)

mdccclxix
06-06-2013, 08:36 PM
A run on bats for sure, any better idea what the Reds will have a choice of?

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2013, 08:37 PM

I'm kind of a loser. Also, I have WOW cable in Columbus and they're an even bigger loser than I am. (Their service NEVER goes out and I love them compared to Time Warner, but I'm pissed they don't have MLB or NFL Network.)

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Braden Shipley, rhp, Nevada

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm kind of a loser. Also, I have WOW cable in Columbus and they're an even bigger loser than I am. (Their service NEVER goes out and I love them compared to Time Warner, but I'm pissed they don't have MLB or NFL Network.)

Ouch. I am very sorry to hear that.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
J.P. Crawford, ss, Lakewood (Calif.) HS

_Sir_Charles_
06-06-2013, 08:44 PM

I used to a couple of years ago. But I didn't get the big package of cable this past year. I miss it. So yeah, I'm with Blitz trying to watch over the net. Horrible connections....so bad I've yet to see ANY video yet.

~edit~ Woohoo! I finally got the page loaded. Hey, at least I got a commercial. :O) Better than that blank page.

texasdave
06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Hunter Dozier, ss, Stephen F. Austin State

Just trying to check off people on the list and I had to go way down to #39 on the Baseball America list to find Dozier. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Benihana
06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
My guess is Tim Anderson goes here

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Tim Anderson, ss, East Central (Miss.) CC

Benihana
06-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Sucks that all the SS I like are off the board. I guess we can hope for Riley Unroe or JaCoby Jones at 67. Otherwise, we'll have to wait another year for a top-shelf middle infielder.

Tom Servo
06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Anderson seems like a good kid.

M2
06-06-2013, 08:56 PM
My guess is Tim Anderson goes here

Quality call

Benihana
06-06-2013, 08:56 PM
With 10 picks to go, my draft board looks like this:

1. Ryne Stanek RHP
2. Ian Clarkin LHP
3. Austin Wilson OF
4. Jon Denney C
5. Billy McKinney OF

If we snag one of those 5, I'll be really happy.

bubbachunk
06-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I think I will fall asleep before the Reds pick, I miss the draft starting in the afternoon.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Chris Anderson, rhp, Jacksonville

Benihana
06-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Is pick 67 going to happen well after midnight at this pace?

_Sir_Charles_
06-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I like the odds of the Cards botching this pick with Ryan Franklin on the phone. :O)

texasdave
06-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Is pick 67 going to happen well after midnight at this pace?

Zzzzz. Huh? What? :)

Benihana
06-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Cards go Gonzales - lefty version of Wacha. I'm OK with that.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Marco Gonzales, lhp, Gonzaga

Tom Servo
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Guy I wanted goes to St. Louis. Fantastic.

Red Swagger
06-06-2013, 09:06 PM
McKinney
Sean Manena (if he's available)

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Ouch. I am very sorry to hear that.

Not to mention the part about me not having MLB Network.

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Sounds about right. (So frustrating how they do everything almost exactly right. Reminds me of watching the Ravens and Steelers as a Bengal fan. Although, fortunately, the Reds are no Bengals. And yes, I know the Bengals are on the right track, yadda, yadda. Molina.)

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Jonathon Crawford, rhp, Florida

Benihana
06-06-2013, 09:10 PM

1. Ryne Stanek RHP
2. Ian Clarkin LHP
3. Austin Wilson OF
4. Jon Denney C
5. Billy McKinney OF

6 picks to go, looks like at least one of these guys will be available. Probably more. I think SF really likes Krook at 25.

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2013, 09:10 PM
I think MLB.com is "pulling a Dane Cook" here and intentionally making it tough to see the webcast.

(If you don't get the Dane Cook joke, Google his name along with "Boston." Enjoy. Also, I can guarantee my worst joke is better than Dane Cook's best. He's the worst comic ever.)

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 09:11 PM

I wouldn't have been opposed to him being the Reds pick, but I certainly would have liked to have had quite a few guys well before him.

texasdave
06-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Any thoughts on Sean Manaea if he is still on the board?

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Cards go Gonzales - lefty version of Wacha. I'm OK with that.

Why would you be OK with that unless you're a Cards fan? The majority of first-round picks flame out (going by every previous draft, on average). So, why would we be OK with the Cards' pick being as good as a guy who made the Majors so quickly and looks like he has a bright future? As a Reds fan, I want every Cards' pick to be a bust. Unfortunately, those guys know what they're doing.

But at least "our guys" do, too.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Nick Ciuffo, c, Lexington (S.C.) HS

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Any thoughts on Sean Manaea if he is still on the board?

If the Reds take him, then I am just fine with it because that means our doctors saw his reports and gave them a thumbs up. Stuff wise, he has it.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Who do others want at this point?

M2
06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I think MLB.com is "pulling a Dane Cook" here and intentionally making it tough to see the webcast.

(If you don't get the Dane Cook joke, Google his name along with "Boston." Enjoy. Also, I can guarantee my worst joke is better than Dane Cook's best. He's the worst comic ever.)

But ... but ... he did "Good Luck Chuck"

Red Swagger
06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Sean Manena needs to be a Red if he's still on the board, he's def the BPA, along with Billy McKinney, Austin Wilson and Jon Denney.

Vander
06-06-2013, 09:21 PM

I'm watching it on MLB.com too and it's working great for me. Could it be your computer or connection?

Blitz Dorsey
Everyone joking about the MLB Draft on Twitter think they are so funny. Truth is, the MLB Draft continues to pick up steam each and every year and is quite interesting. It will never be the NFL Draft (or even the NBA Draft) but that doesn't mean it's not interesting. If you're a diehard MLB fan and you don't follow the draft, I don't know how you can really consider yourself a "diehard" fan. Even in this age of crazy free agency, teams are built through the draft (and via their international FA signings).

Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Leake, LeCure, Frazier, Cozart, Mesoraco and other key contributors were Reds' draft picks. Cueto, Chapman were international FA signings. I just don't get seemingly "diehard" baseball fans who blow off the draft.

And I don't mean the ones who don't follow it because they don't know the draft-eligible players all that well. Hell, I don't know the draft-eligible players all that well. I'm talking about the MLB fans who say "The draft isn't very important anyway."

Uh, what?

texasdave
Manaea or Stanek if either is available. Top-rated pitcher for me.

Benihana
Two guys I do NOT want at 27 are Oscar Mercado and Wil Crowe. Those picks would make me angry at this point.

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Hunter Harvey, rhp, Bandys HS, Catawba, N.C

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Hunter Harvey to the Orioles at #22. He was one of the guys I wanted the Reds to grab at 27.

Blitz Dorsey
I'm watching it on MLB.com too and it's working great for me. Could it be your computer or connection?

It's working now. Wasn't for a while.

Dude, I have the best computer and highest speed internet ever. Don't come in here talking computer smack with me.

Haha. Kidding.

:beerme:

mdccclxix

leaning Denny

Tom Servo
Stanek.

I'm also still interested in Austin Wilson. Denny too.

_Sir_Charles_
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Dude, I have the best computer and highest speed internet ever. Don't come in here talking computer smack with me.

Haha. Kidding.

Rockin' a Commodore 64, eh? :O)

Benihana
06-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Will be interesting to see if the A's go for Judge at 24. Think the Giants go Krook at 25. Yankees will likely take one of the guys I like (including Kaminsky). That should leave most of my guys on the board at 27.

Hope the Rangers don't nab the local boy McKinney here.

dougdirt
06-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Sean Manena needs to be a Red if he's still on the board, he's def the BPA, along with Billy McKinney, Austin Wilson and Jon Denney.

Manena is only the BPA assuming his medical records are good. There are questions all over the place about his health.

Vander
06-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Haha. Kidding.

I don't know, I'm running an elite 5 year old linux laptop... Pretty impressive stuff right here...

:cry:

Gallen5862
Alex Gonzalez, rhp, Oral Roberts

M2

I've always been a McKinney man. Wouldn't mind Clarkin.

Benihana

1. Ryne Stanek RHP
2. Ian Clarkin LHP
3. Austin Wilson OF
4. Jon Denney C
5. Billy McKinney OF

3 picks to go, wish list still in tact...

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Eric Jagielo, 3b, Notre Dame is also still available. Would he be a good pick as well?

marcshoe
Okay, I'm confused; I didn't think teams were allowed to sign or draft anyone else named Alex Gonzalez.

Tom Servo
MLB rules stipulate there must be an Alex Gonzalez in baseball at all times.

Red Swagger
Worried the Rangers are gonna snatch my guy, Billy McKinney

The DARK
06-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Everyone joking about the MLB Draft on Twitter think they are so funny. Truth is, the MLB Draft continues to pick up steam each and every year and is quite interesting. It will never be the NFL Draft (or even the NBA Draft) but that doesn't mean it's not interesting. If you're a diehard MLB fan and you don't follow the draft, I don't know how you can really consider yourself a "diehard" fan. Even in this age of crazy free agency, teams are built through the draft (and via their international FA signings).

Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Leake, LeCure, Frazier, Cozart, Mesoraco and other key contributors were Reds' draft picks. Cueto, Chapman were international FA signings. I just don't get seemingly "diehard" baseball fans who blow off the draft.

And I don't mean the ones who don't follow it because they don't know the draft-eligible players all that well. Hell, I don't know the draft-eligible players all that well. I'm talking about the MLB fans who say "The draft isn't very important anyway."

Uh, what?

It's not important to them because they can't be half as self-righteous about how good or bad a certain draft pick is. Seeing every blogger post some asinine grade based on everybody else's widely available scouting report is easily the most infuriating aspect of the NFL draft.

marcshoe
06-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Thanks for clarifying; I obviously misunderstood the rule.

edabbs44
06-06-2013, 09:29 PM

I thought sea bass were endangered.

M2
06-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Fudge, A's jumped on McKinney.

Red Swagger
06-06-2013, 09:30 PM
****, McKinney gone

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Dangit. A's take Billy McKinney, another guy I wanted at 27.

wheels
McKinney gone. Dern!

Gallen5862
Billy McKinney, of, Plano (Texas) West HS

corkedbat
It's not important to them because they can't be half as self-righteous about how good or bad a certain draft pick is. Seeing every blogger post some asinine grade based on everybody else's widely available scouting report is easily the most infuriating aspect of the NFL draft.

Damn! I was not making a prediction because I didn't want to jinx it and see someone take McKinney

_Sir_Charles_
I thought sea bass were endangered.

Any chance somebody could explain this one? I've heard this reference for years now...no clue where it came from.

texasdave
06-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Reds get Beaned. Billy Beaned.

edabbs44
06-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Any chance somebody could explain this one? I've heard this reference for years now...no clue where it came from.

A certain poster continually referred to Alex G as Sea Bass. And it never caught on. Except he never gave up.

Puffy
06-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Whoops - I thought fer sure Billy McKinney was black.

RedLegsToday

seconded. It's always seemed like a mean, yet hilarious nickname. However, I've got no idea where it came from.

Tom Servo
http://redreporter.wikidot.com/sea-bass

reds44 used the nickname regularly for A-Gon, and for some reason it really bugged some people on Redszone.

texasdave

Red Swagger
Stanek at # 27? I really wanted McKinney, god fearing man

edabbs44
Whoops - I thought fer sure Billy McKinney was black.

Reggie Cleveland all stars

_Sir_Charles_
06-06-2013, 09:34 PM
A certain poster continually referred to Alex G as Sea Bass. And it never caught on. Except he never gave up.

Well, I got that much...I just never got WHY "sea bass"? Makes ZERO sense that I can figure.

M2
06-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Reds get Beaned. Billy Beaned.

Makes sense. McKinney is kind of the opposite of Beane, who tries to avoid kids who remind him of himself.

Boro_BG_Red
06-06-2013, 09:35 PM
McKinney seems like a great kid. Would have loved to get him.

wheels
06-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Sea Bass was annoying as hades....it's just I can't figure out why it bugged me so much every time it was written.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I think Krook goes here.

Puffy
Reggie Cleveland all stars

Someone get Simmons on the line! The Reggie Cleveland All Stars just got their center fielder of the future

_Sir_Charles_

reds44 used the nickname regularly for A-Gon, and for some reason it really bugged some people on Redszone.

Thanks guys (Dave too). Goofy nickname...but at least now I know where it came from. One of those little things that's bugged me over the years.

M2
06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Well, I got that much...I just never got WHY "sea bass"? Makes ZERO sense that I can figure.

I'm pretty sure it's a Dumb and Dumber reference (specifically the Cam Neely character in the movie), though how it applies to Gonzalez I'm not sure.

Wonderful Monds
06-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Did the Giants just punt?

Puffy
I am thinking Reds take Denney.

Tom Servo
Haha did Will Clark just realize he left the iron on or something?

Gallen5862
Christian Arroyo ranked 102 by Baseball America.

Wonderful Monds

It was his nickname with the Marlins.

_Sir_Charles_
06-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Personally, I want the best OF'er on the board. Austin?

Wonderful Monds
06-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Haha did Will Clark just realize he left the iron on or something?

lmao

M2
On a separate note, it's depressing to hear that the players being drafted listed to such wussified music. How ready are you to rip a baseball after listening to Taylor Swift?

Red Swagger
Hopefully the Reds just take the BPA.. No reaches.

Stanek
Manena
Denney
A Wilson
Jagielo

M2
I am thinking Reds take Denney.

He's the top guy left on the Matt Garrioch list.

Tom Servo
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
On a separate note, it's depressing to hear that the players being drafted listed to such wussified music. How ready are you to rip a baseball after listening to Taylor Swift?
Oh man, you have no idea what you just started with Doug.

Wonderful Monds
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I hope they get Austin Wilson because that's one of the few players
I know of

I have no idea how my draft knowledge fell off so hard in recent years.

wheels
06-06-2013, 09:42 PM

Cloying.

OnBaseMachine
Phillip Ervin to the Reds according to JJ Cooper

Blitz Dorsey
We're on the clock, y'alls.

Wonderful Monds

Yeah, that segment was sad.

Also, what is it with athletes and that Miley Cyrus song? It's not just athletes either, other "macho" young guys are all over it, every friend I know in a frat admits its in heavy rotation at their houses.

Puffy
And the Reds are on clock.......

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Eric Jagielo, 3b, Notre Dame

krm1580
I would like to see Austin Wilson or Robert Kaminsky but I have a bad feeling it will be Tom Windle

Red Swagger
OK boys and girls here we go. Denney? Stanek? Manena? Wilson?

Tom Servo
Surprised the Yanks didn't go with Kaminsky.

wheels
I wonder if the Yankees pick paints his face and drinks Red pop.

Benihana
Wish list with Reds on the clock:

1. Stanek RHP
2. Clarkin LHP
3. Wilson OF
4. Denney C
5. Kaminsky LHP

As a prediction, don't rule out HS LHP Matt Krook or Hunter Green. I like those guys, but I'd rather see them at 38. Phil Ervin is the other guy to keep an eye on. Would also rather see him at 38.

Puffy
06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Back to NYY pick - - Go Irish

Just sayin'

corkedbat
Until I saw that about Ervin above, I would have guessed Stanek or Denney.

Blitz Dorsey
Let's pick as well as last time we had the #27 overall pick and I'm all good!

Tom Servo
I'm just a Jagielo...

M2
Wait, did the Yankees just draft this guy?

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/what-is-a-juggalo.2764772.36.jpg

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Back to NYY pick - - Go Irish

Just sayin'

"You can't trust those damn Catholics" -- E. Gordon Gee.

texasdave
Eric Davis looks like he is in his prime. In which case he should write his own name on the card.

OnBaseMachine
He projects as a 20-20 guy with good defense in CF. Projecting him slowing down and adding a few more pounds, he could be a power hitting right fielder with average defense and an average bat with a handful of stolen bases. That's not quite as impressive, especially if there is a steep learning curve to getting to that point since he hasn't faced tough competition.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013/2/22/4006808/2013-mlb-draft-profile-phillip-ervin-of-samford-university

Redsfansince72
I am picking Aaron Judge.. just a guess

Benihana
06-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Final predictions?

RedLegsToday
06-06-2013, 09:47 PM
it's hard to believe Eric Davis is 50.

Blitz Dorsey
I hope we take a guy with no connections to the biogenesis lab in Miami.

Tom Servo
Who?

OnBaseMachine
Reds take Phillip Ervin. Scouting report looks good.

Wonderful Monds
Cincinnatuh Reds

Redsfansince72
Ervin a good pick?? i dont know him

Gallen5862
06-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Phillip Ervin, of, Samford

RedLegsToday
mlb top 100 list has him 21st

Gainesville Red
Fangraphs chat:

"Al Skorupa: Reds got a great one with Ervin. Love that kid. Cocky little player with tremendous bat speed. Quick hands. Surprising pop and a very good runner. Lit up the Cape early last Summer."

Wonderful Monds
06-06-2013, 09:49 PM
So how polished is this guy, how far off is he?

Blitz Dorsey
Dude on MLB.com just compared him to Span defensively and McCutchen offensively.

Yes, please.

Wonderful Monds
MLB Network calls him McCutchen at the plate, Denard Span in the OF.

Tom Servo
Like what I'm hearing about DatDudeErvin.

Red Swagger
06-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I love phillip ervin. Great pick.

_Sir_Charles_
Welcome to the Redlegs Phillip Ervin!

lollipopcurve
I'm a big Ervin fan. Great quick short swing. Can play in the middle of diamond, but has enough bat to move to LF. Also young for a college eligible player. One of my favorites coming in.

wheels
I don't dislike this pick much at all. Could be a quality bat.

Tony Cloninger
06-06-2013, 09:51 PM
I like Anderson but no way he was coming down.... I like this one just as well. Let's hope he develops/moves quickly.

Red Swagger
The damn Cards are going to get Stanek? I am saying Wilson

M2
I though Ervin might be more athlete than ballplayer. Not sure if he's got the bat.

marcshoe
06-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Twitter handle @Mr_MagicErvin

Wonderful Monds
06-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I though Ervin might be more athlete than ballplayer. Not sure if he's got the bat.

Sounds Stubby.

Drugs Delaney
06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
I like it. Read a little about him this afternoon as he was the guy who BA had us taking in the mock draft.

Seems like a good defensive OF with some offensive upside.

krm1580
With his size and build he reminds me a little bit of Kirby Puckett. Unlike last year, I don't hate the pick.

BuckeyeRedleg
Like this pick.

Wonderful Monds
06-06-2013, 09:54 PM
So this is the first position player the Reds have taken since Alonso right?

Err no, Grandal.

Puffy
Twitter handle @Mr_MagicErvin

Ok, now I am officially diggin this kid! That. Is. Awesome.

Benihana
Wish list with Reds on the clock:

1. Stanek RHP
2. Clarkin LHP
3. Wilson OF
4. Denney C
5. Kaminsky LHP

As a prediction, don't rule out HS LHP Matt Krook or Hunter Green. I like those guys, but I'd rather see them at 38. Phil Ervin is the other guy to keep an eye on. Would also rather see him at 38.

The prophet!

Now, let's see one of my guys at 38!!

nate1213
The more I keep reading about this guy the more I think of Marte out in Pittsburgh. Anyone else think this?