PDA

View Full Version : Michael Lorenzen

Benihana
06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
The Pitcher...

nate1213
06-06-2013, 11:11 PM
<http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/michael-lorenzen.html>

This article says he has topped out at 99 on the mound. If he can carry that power fastball as a starter he might be very interesting to watch.

Benihana
06-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Will be interesting to see if he follows Cingrani and Stewart's footsteps as a college reliever converted to a starter.

Or if he's the replacement for Brad Boxberger, the California college reliever they took at a similar spot in the draft four years ago and traded away in the Latos deal.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm always a fan of two-way players. I remember the Reds being linked to Lorenzen when he was coming out of HS. I like him as a pitcher better than as a hitter. Pretty cool they're going to let him do both. Just a baseball player.

redsmetz
06-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Here is a link to the blog I cited for Ervin, discussing Lorenzen.

Michael Lorenzen is one of the more polarizing prospects in the 2013 Draft Class. He's a supreme athlete with a few elite tools, who plays center field and comes out of the bullpen for Cal State Fullerton. Will he be drafted as a hitter or pitcher? And will he ever hit enough to succeed as a hitter?

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013-mlb-draft/2013/4/11/4210094/2013-mlb-draft-prospects-scouting-report-michael-lorenzen-cal-state-fullerton-houston-astros

There was some discussion on the draft thread about whether the Reds intend to develop him as a starter. I have to think, taken this early in the draft, and announced as a pitcher, that the club will do precisely that. Drafting a closer is a Jim Bowden move. And, as others have noted, we have a history of taking pitchers such as this and putting them on the starter track until, again as others have noted, they show they're not a starter.

redsmetz
06-07-2013, 07:42 AM
And another blog discussing Lorenzen

http://whenthegiantscometotown.blogspot.com/2013/01/scouting-draft-michael-lorenzen.html

redsmetz
06-07-2013, 07:44 AM
<http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/michael-lorenzen.html>

This article says he has topped out at 99 on the mound. If he can carry that power fastball as a starter he might be very interesting to watch.

Just bumping this to make the link clickable.

http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/michael-lorenzen.html

mdccclxix
06-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Last night on twitter Ctrent and Doug were discussing how Lorenzen is still not ready to give up one or the other, hitting or pitching. It seemed like the Reds and Lorenzen understand each other about this and may let it play out?

traderumor
06-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Well, maybe he'll be a good hitting pitcher instead of a bad major league center fielder. We just traded away his comp from that blog.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2013, 11:19 AM
This was a total Buckley pick. Finding a reliever who throws hard that has less mileage on his arm with the hope of converting him to a starter. And the guy apparently can hit.

Definitely looks like an interesting pick. Might have been a little high IMO for the comp round, but it doesn't scream bad pick. There is a real ceiling here to be sure.

I really would've liked to have seen Denney here, but the fact that so many teams are passing on him might indicate that teams know something about Denney that we don't.

mdccclxix
06-07-2013, 11:26 AM
The enquirer video has Buckley talking about the pick. He said Lorenzen could make the majors pretty quickly as a closer. If the plan is to have him also practice hitting, what role seems more likely, starter or closer?

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2013, 11:49 AM
If the Reds groom him as a closer, I'll be disappointed. That's just too high in the draft for a reliever. Hopefully Buckley was just talking about his options.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Pretty sure they see him as a late inning reliever. Fine with me. I think the organization is very thin there.

11larkin11
06-07-2013, 12:25 PM
So if they convert him to a starter, have him DH on his days off? Or do you stick him in center?

LoganBuck
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Lorenzen's Cal State stats
http://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/m-basebl/2012-13/files/BSBOverall.pdf

Only 20ks in 22.2 innings. 1.99 ERA .205 BAA

klw
06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Here is an article on how the Red Sox addressed the two position question with Casey Kelly a few years back.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/353758-top-prospect-casey-kelly-throws-red-sox-a-curve

But then the Sox lured him to baseball with their checkbook and a promise that he could both pitch and play shortstop in the minor leagues. The agreement between the player and club was that he’d have to choose one or the other at the end of last season.

The son of former major league catcher Pat Kelly (Toronto) spent last winter re-sculpting his physique at IMG Performance Institute. He spent his first full season of professional ball splitting time between the mound and shortstop.

And another:
http://nesn.com/2009/11/casey-kelly-red-sox-still-unsure-of-prospects-future-position/

The 30th overall pick in the 2008 draft began his first pro season out of high school as a shortstop in rookie ball and later spent time with the Class-A Lowell (Mass.) Spinners. In 2009, he switched to the mound and began the year as a pitcher for low Single-A Greenville (S.C.) and high Single-A Salem (Va.), going a combined 7-5 with a 2.08 ERA in 17 starts. In the second half of the year, the Red Sox took away the rosin bag, handed him a bat and he finished the year as a shortstop in Greenville and with the Gulf Coast League team in Fort Myers, Fla., hitting .222 with 16 RBIs in 40 games.

Benihana
06-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Keith Law named Lorenzen as one of his "Quickest to the Majors" guys of everyone drafted yesterday - says he could be in the Cincy bullpen early next season.

I'd have to think that goes in the "Chapman to starter" camp. Drafting a fast moving reliever with two other very highly paid guys at the backend is not insignificant.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2013, 01:03 PM
If he is a reliever, I dislike the pick a lot.

Benihana
06-07-2013, 01:12 PM
If he is a reliever, I dislike the pick a lot.

Ditto.

Especially with who was on the board.

marcshoe
06-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Sports Illustrated called him the Best player to not be drafted in Round 1
(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130607/mlb-draft-wrapup-mark-appel-astros-top-pick-winners-losers/index.html?xid=nl_siextra) "by far".

Benihana
06-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Sports Illustrated called him the Best player to not be drafted in Round 1
(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130607/mlb-draft-wrapup-mark-appel-astros-top-pick-winners-losers/index.html?xid=nl_siextra) "by far".

Interesting, although I'm not sure if he ranked as that as an OF or a RHP.

That Jacob Gatewood guy sounds awesome - would love to have him in the Reds organization after next year.

11larkin11
06-07-2013, 08:32 PM
FYI Lorenzen is on ESPN2 right now playing for CSF. 1-2 with a single.

Gallen5862
06-07-2013, 10:57 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/super-regional-preview-ucla-at-cal-state-fullerton/

“Lorenzen’s got the best breaking ball in the country—if somebody’s got a better breaking ball than that, I want to see it. You’ve got a guy with a 98 mph fastball, and it is legitimately 95-98. Watch video, with nobody on base, he comes from the stretch every time, but gives you different looks. He’ll come set, go with a high leg kick, then—bam. Then sometimes he’ll go slide-step on you and—bam, it’s 98. He gives you different looks, plus the stuff.

“Lorenzen grew up around the place, the next Mark Kotsay—there were a lot of labels on the kid. He went through a couple transitional years for Fullerton. Now Hooky’s got the right personality for the team, and Lorenzen has fit right into it. I think that’s why the results are better. He’s more comfortable. The key against him is you’ve got to run fastballs in on him, then set him up for that breaking ball away. Stay with that approach. He’ll turn on pitches and hook them foul, then if you throw a slider at him, he’ll swing over them. He’s a good hitter, because he can beat you in different ways, too. He’ll drop the drag bunt on you, so you’ve got to respect that at third base and play even to a step behind. But he’ll turn on fastballs, so it makes your shortstop play in the six-hole tougher, and the guy can run. So you need a shortstop who can run behind him and make the play and put something on it to get him at first. I’d rather pitch to Lorenzen than Lopez or Chapman. I would say he’s the third-best hitter on the team.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Vert interesting. It begs the question if true...why a reliever?!? Sounds like a position player or a starter makes a lot more sense.

06-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Can anyone remember a guy who was both a pitcher and a hitter coming up, who ended up above average as either one in the majors? The last guy I can think of was Babe Ruth.

Benihana
06-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Could Lorenzen be a shut-down setup man who always remains in the game in the 9th as a defensive replacement in the OF? His D is supposed to be pretty nasty...

dougdirt
06-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Could Lorenzen be a shut-down setup man who always remains in the game in the 9th as a defensive replacement in the OF? His D is supposed to be pretty nasty...

No team would risk a cog in their bullpen like that.

Steve4192
06-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Can anyone remember a guy who was both a pitcher and a hitter coming up, who ended up above average as either one in the majors? The last guy I can think of was Babe Ruth.

Trevor Hoffman

lollipopcurve
06-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Interesting question. But I think Doug's right -- you don't want a pitcher making throws from the OF.

Benihana
06-08-2013, 12:52 PM
After reading Buckley's comments, the weird thing is that it doesn't sound like the Reds have a plan for him at all. They are going to try him as a hitter, and as a pitcher - not sure if starter or reliever. Buckley even says "We'll see what Mike wants to do." Very confusing if you ask me. I'd think if you're going to spend a top 40 pick on a guy who was not a consensus top 40 player, you'd have a pretty good idea or vision for where you wanted him to play.

Edd Roush
06-08-2013, 02:06 PM
After reading Buckley's comments, the weird thing is that it doesn't sound like the Reds have a plan for him at all. They are going to try him as a hitter, and as a pitcher - not sure if starter or reliever. Buckley even says "We'll see what Mike wants to do." Very confusing if you ask me. I'd think if you're going to spend a top 40 pick on a guy who was not a consensus top 40 player, you'd have a pretty good idea or vision for where you wanted him to play.

I agree, if this is not politicking. I hope that the Reds want to make him into a pitcher, but would prefer that he comes to that conclusion after a few rough months at the plate in rookie ball so that the Reds don't have to strong arm him (no pun intended) into being a pitcher.

thorn
06-08-2013, 02:26 PM
If i'm not mistaken, it was mentioned during the game with UCLA, he would prefer to try hitting first. I think I remember somewhere this was the same with Thompson.

Steve4192
06-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I'd think if you're going to spend a top 40 pick on a guy who was not a consensus top 40 player, you'd have a pretty good idea or vision for where you wanted him to play.

Sounds to me more like the prospect hounds just got it wrong rather than the Reds reaching for him. It appears there were a number of teams looking to draft him around the same spot.

As far as having a plan goes, I think Buckley is just being diplomatic. You have to sign the guy first. If he comes out and says "I don't give a damn what Michael wants, he's going to be a pitcher", that might impact Lorenzen's willingness to sign and/or attitude about being a Red. I suspect they have a very specific plan in mind, but they want to sell Lorenzen on it before sharing it with the public.

Superdude
06-08-2013, 05:00 PM
As far as having a plan goes, I think Buckley is just being diplomatic. You have to sign the guy first. If he comes out and says "I don't give a damn what Michael wants, he's going to be a pitcher", that might impact Lorenzen's willingness to sign and/or attitude about being a Red. I suspect they have a very specific plan in mind, but they want to sell Lorenzen on it before sharing it with the public.

Buckley's "we think he can start" comment says a lot about his plan IMO considering how they've handled these guys in the past. I think you're right. Sign him and then convince him what his best option is later. It should be fascinating to watch considering he probably hasn't spent much time on his pitching at all. He's probably got more upside than any other college closer we've converted.

oneupper
06-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Lorenzen's Cal State stats
http://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/m-basebl/2012-13/files/BSBOverall.pdf

Only 20ks in 22.2 innings. 1.99 ERA .205 BAA

Hitting: .335/.412/.515.

Arguably the best hitter on his (elite) college team.

Benihana
06-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Sounds to me more like the prospect hounds just got it wrong rather than the Reds reaching for him. It appears there were a number of teams looking to draft him around the same spot.

He is not a signing risk at all. When is the last time a first/sandwich college player got drafted at or ABOVE where they were supposed to go and didn't sign?

fearofpopvol1
06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
The closer I look at his stats and video, the more I like this guy a lot. BUT...if he's made into a reliever it would be a massive disappointment. I hope that was just speculation and he will be made into a position player or a starter.

Superdude
06-09-2013, 12:01 PM
He is not a signing risk at all. When is the last time a first/sandwich college player got drafted at or ABOVE where they were supposed to go and didn't sign?

Even without the signing risk, it's just a more tactful way to approach it. They probably haven't had more than a few phone conversations with him. No reason to come right out to the public and immediately say he won't be doing what he said he wants to do.

REDREAD
06-10-2013, 04:42 PM
The closer I look at his stats and video, the more I like this guy a lot. BUT...if he's made into a reliever it would be a massive disappointment. I hope that was just speculation and he will be made into a position player or a starter.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

Top relievers go for 6-7 million/year roughly.
Look at what Broxton, Chapman and Marshal are making (and their peers on other teams).

Sure, as a general rule an ace starter like Latos is more valuable than an ace reliever like Chapman.. But IMO.. Chapman is more valuable than a middling starter.

I guess I would not be upset if the guy ended up being a reliever.
Of course, a dominating starter would be better, but if the choice is getting a dominant reliever out of the supplemental pick or a starting pitching prospect that washes out.. obviously a dominant reliever is a success.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

Top relievers go for 6-7 million/year roughly.
Look at what Broxton, Chapman and Marshal are making (and their peers on other teams).

Sure, as a general rule an ace starter like Latos is more valuable than an ace reliever like Chapman.. But IMO.. Chapman is more valuable than a middling starter.

I guess I would not be upset if the guy ended up being a reliever.
Of course, a dominating starter would be better, but if the choice is getting a dominant reliever out of the supplemental pick or a starting pitching prospect that washes out.. obviously a dominant reliever is a success.

A lot of hypotheticals here, but more importantly, if he ends up being a reliever that's one thing. But to put him there immediately when he may be able to be a position player or a starter seems shortsighted.

REDREAD
06-11-2013, 12:09 AM
A lot of hypotheticals here, but more importantly, if he ends up being a reliever that's one thing. But to put him there immediately when he may be able to be a position player or a starter seems shortsighted.

Yea, I agree with that.
He should be tried as a starter first, for sure.

I guess I'm not disappointed though if he ends up being a quality reliever.

MikeS21
06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Any one know what the hold up is to this guy signing? Are they still debating if he is going to be a pitcher or OF? Or is he holding out? I was under the impression he didn't have a whole lot of leverage.

I think I would rather see what this guy could do playing every day in the OF, rather than pitch. I know you can't have too much pitching, but I'd love to see how his bat would play.

EDIT: Is Cal State-Fullerton still playing or is their season over?

lollipopcurve
06-18-2013, 10:54 AM
EDIT: Is Cal State-Fullerton still playing or is their season over?

Knocked out by Zach Weiss and UCLA.

The delay could simply be that his season ended late and they want him to get recharged before coming back to baseball full-time.

RED VAN HOT
06-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I too see no harm in allowing him to play OF at Billings for the remainder of this year. If it does not work, then start fresh next year as a starter.

Regarding the signing delay, his slot is the last opportunity to save enough pool money to make a serious run at some of the college committed players.

lollipopcurve
06-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Regarding the signing delay, his slot is the last opportunity to save enough pool money to make a serious run at some of the college committed players.

While they could sign Lorenzen below slot, I don't think they'll be able to save much, if any. He was not considered an overdraft.

They can save on Franklin, I think, since he was rated well below where he was selected, and on Weiss.

RED VAN HOT
06-18-2013, 11:06 PM
While they could sign Lorenzen below slot, I don't think they'll be able to save much, if any. He was not considered an overdraft.

They can save on Franklin, I think, since he was rated well below where he was selected, and on Weiss.

Fair point. My guess is that among the three of them they need to save another $200K. Franklin may well be the best bet. There seems to be an agreement in place, yet an announcement has been slow in coming. There does not seem to be much to save on Weiss. Who knows though. They may have another really low deal in place to execute when UCLA finishes its season.

Vottomatic
06-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Why can't he pitch every 5th day as a starter and play OF the other days?

Steve4192
06-19-2013, 08:43 AM

He can, as long as you don't mind his arm falling off.

mth123
06-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Don't think I'd do that, but he could pitch and DH on other days.

Benihana
06-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Don't think I'd do that, but he could pitch and DH on other days.

Agree with this. There isn't much question around his ability to be a good defensive OF. The question is his bat. Let him pitch every fifth day and DH every day. At least for the rest of this year in Billings.

Steve4192
06-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Agree with this. There isn't much question around his ability to be a good defensive OF. The question is his bat. Let him pitch every fifth day and DH every day. At least for the rest of this year in Billings.

If he is dead-set on doing both, I'd rather use him in the same role he is used to this season. Sticking him at DH is basically the same thing as telling him they have no intention of giving him a fair shot as a position player. I'm sure the Reds would rather have him happy than grousing about not being given an opportunity to prove himself as a position player.

A half-season of relief work isn't going to do him any harm. Let him have his way in Billings then spend the offseason trying to convince him that his best chance to earn millions of dollars is with his arm, not his bat.

mth123
06-19-2013, 11:48 AM
If he is dead-set on doing both, I'd rather use him in the same role he is used to this season. Sticking him at DH is basically the same thing as telling him they have no intention of giving him a fair shot as a position player. I'm sure the Reds would rather have him happy than grousing about not being given an opportunity to prove himself as a position player.

A half-season of relief work isn't going to do him any harm. Let him have his way in Billings then spend the offseason trying to convince him that his best chance to earn millions of dollars is with his arm, not his bat.

I'd be ok with relief and some position time. Heck, in relief he may be ready for a higher levels. Pensacola sure doesn't have anybody standing in his way. He could pitch and play an OF corner and his pitching may be a revelation that would get him to the majors quickly. He might be a better option than some of the guys in the Reds pen right now.

Steve4192
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I think some people forget that the Reds are dealing with a human being with his own wants, needs and dreams rather than a stratomatic card. The Reds may own his rights, but they don't actually own HIM. They need to convince him that their plans coincide with his best interest, but if he doesn't want to hear it, there is not a lot they can do about it other than keep him as happy as possible and keep trying to convince him.

texasdave
06-19-2013, 12:05 PM
I think some people forget that the Reds are dealing with a human being with his own wants, needs and dreams rather than a stratomatic card. The Reds may own his rights, but they don't actually own HIM. They need to convince him that their plans coincide with his best interest, but if he doesn't want to hear it, there is not a lot they can do about it other than keep him as happy as possible and keep trying to convince him.

Does the fact that they drafted him so highly suggest that they have already had this conversation with him?

Steve4192
06-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Does the fact that they drafted him so highly suggest that they have already had this conversation with him?

It might .... or it might not.

Perhaps they have and he has already agreed to whatever plan they have for him, or perhaps they loved his arm so much that they were willing to roll the dice and then convince him later. Only the Reds and Lorenzen know for sure.

Benihana
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Disagree with this.

If a team wants you as a professional at a specific position and is willing to pay you significantly more money than you would otherwise make to play that position, the choice is either take it or do something else for a living - or at least, for as long as that team owns your rights for that sport.

Remember when Jim Bowden forced Alfonso Soriano to move to the OF? Soriano had a lot more leverage then (having already made millions of dollars and multiple All-Star appearances) than a guy like Lorenzen does now.

texasdave
06-19-2013, 01:40 PM
It might .... or it might not.

Do you happen to work in politics? :)

Just kidding.

I think if the Reds were doing their due diligence that they at least broached the subject with him. JMO. I could be entirely off-base.

Steve4192
06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Disagree with this.

If a team wants you as a professional at a specific position and is willing to pay you significantly more money than you would otherwise make to play that position, the choice is either take it or do something else for a living - or at least, for as long as that team owns your rights for that sport.

I'm glad I don't work for you.

But seriously, people are hard to predict. Lorenzen might have his heart set on being the next Ken Griffey Jr, and he might be willing to wait for the 2014 draft if the Reds aren't willing to even listen to him on the subject.

You can't treat people like stratomatic cards.

dougdirt
06-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm glad I don't work for you.

But seriously, people are hard to predict. Lorenzen might have his heart set on being the next Ken Griffey Jr, and he might be willing to wait for the 2014 draft if the Reds aren't willing to even listen to him on the subject.

You can't treat people like stratomatic cards.

This.

But, the Reds have also publicly stated (whether they truly mean it or not is another story) that they are willing to let him do both and Lorenzen has publicly stated that he still wants to do both.

I don't see his use being the reason for a hold up. These things just take some time. It has been two weeks since the draft as of today. There really isn't a huge rush.

MikeS21
06-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I could live with Lorenzen as a starting pitcher or as an OF. But to turn him into a bullpen arm after drafting him so high would be a huge HUGE disappointment. To me, the bullpen arm is the 4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round, who either makes it in the bullpen or not at all.

I still want to see him hit. The Reds are almost to the point where they have a lot of pitching, but need some lumber in the OF.

lollipopcurve
06-22-2013, 09:58 AM
The Reds are almost to the point where they have a lot of pitching, but need some lumber in the OF.

Outfield depth right now is really good: Hamilton, Lutz, Yorman, Arias, Winker, Ervin (and maybe Reynoso, who was considered a top 10 prospect in the system coming into the year).

I think they need Lorenzen to develop as a pitcher -- starter or high leverage reliever, either one.

Benihana
06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
I could live with Lorenzen as a starting pitcher or as an OF. But to turn him into a bullpen arm after drafting him so high would be a huge HUGE disappointment. To me, the bullpen arm is the 4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round, who either makes it in the bullpen or not at all.

I still want to see him hit. The Reds are almost to the point where they have a lot of pitching, but need some lumber in the OF.

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second. Reds have more OF depth as lollipop said above than any other position in the system at this point. Plus with respect to Lorenzen, he's not bringing the lumber. His superior skill is his OF defense, not his ability to hit - there are a lot of questions about his bat.

I'd start him every fifth day on the mound in Billings and let him DH everyday. He should dominate that level on the mound. Meanwhile, if an advanced college hitter can't hit in Billings, he's probably not going to hit. The issue of what position he plays should sort itself out by the end of the summer, if the Reds haven't decided already.

Then for 2014 what level he starts at is determined by what position he ends up at:
If he's gonna play OF, he starts in Dayton
If he's gonna be a SP, he starts in Bakersfield
If he's gonna be a RP, he starts in Pensacola

Kc61
06-23-2013, 01:03 AM

The comment about the "bullpen arm" being the "4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round" is exactly the reason the Reds are in third place.

Bullpens are important. Not only that, but relievers often aren't effective for too long. You need fresh ones, new ones. And relievers get hurt, you need injury depth. The Reds this year had to reach for Partch, a guy barely at AAA.

It's unfortunate, I know that everyone dreams of every good arm becoming Sandy Koufax. But we live in an age of six and seven inning starters, at best.

If the Reds think this guy is cut out to be a late inning reliever, so be it, let 'er rip.

RED VAN HOT
06-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Lorenzen is showing on the AZL Reds roster as a pitcher. It could mean nothing. That may have been the only roster with a spot and a further move is to come. Or, it could mean that they are going to keep him there for awhile and work on developing him as a starter. Stay tuned.

Blitz Dorsey
06-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Why not let him do both to start out?

Blitz Dorsey
06-25-2013, 12:00 AM
The comment about the "bullpen arm" being the "4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round" is exactly the reason the Reds are in third place.

Bullpens are important. Not only that, but relievers often aren't effective for too long. You need fresh ones, new ones. And relievers get hurt, you need injury depth. The Reds this year had to reach for Partch, a guy barely at AAA.

It's unfortunate, I know that everyone dreams of every good arm becoming Sandy Koufax. But we live in an age of six and seven inning starters, at best.

If the Reds think this guy is cut out to be a late inning reliever, so be it, let 'er rip.

Is it also the reason they have the third-best record in the entire NL and would easily qualify for the playoffs at this point?

Let's be real. The reason the Reds are "in third place" is because they play in the toughest division in MLB this season. It's that simple. The Reds have a damn good record.