PDA

View Full Version : Ben Lively

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2013, 02:38 PM
I think this could be another great pick. Supposed to be a starter, 4 pitch arsenal, good command, projectable size. I'm a fan.

Edd Roush
06-07-2013, 02:42 PM
I think this could be another great pick. Supposed to be a starter, 4 pitch arsenal, good command, projectable size. I'm a fan.

I heard he outdueled a couple higher rated pitchers this season, but he seems to lack a true plus pitch. Let's hope he can develop one.

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I heard he outdueled a couple higher rated pitchers this season, but he seems to lack a true plus pitch. Let's hope he can develop one.

I heard that too and I equally hope he develops a plus pitch. Even if he turns into a BOR starter, I think that would be fine value in the 4th round.

HokieRed
06-07-2013, 02:59 PM
If he really has command of 4, he'll work out just fine.

Tom Servo
06-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Blake Lively!?

Tom Servo
06-07-2013, 03:34 PM
his twitter account: https://twitter.com/BenLively19

highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPArbZARDHo

JaxRed
06-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Sounds like a guy that will sign

Ben Lively ‏@BenLively19 40m
Thanks to everyone who helped me get to where I am now! Couldn't be more excited #reds @UCFNation @UCF_Baseball

Tom Servo
06-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Stuff-wise, Lively has added a tick to his fastball this season. He's consistently flashing a four-pitch mix, including a fastball that he works anywhere from 88-93, with the ability to touch some 94s. He also has made significant improvements with his slider, while the upper-70s changeup also continues to get sharper.

"A lot of Ben's situation this season is that it's not necessarily that his pitches have gotten that much better, it's just that he's commanding those good pitches better," he said. "His slider has really been a wipeout pitch this season. That slider, for sure, has taken a big, big step forward."

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8281

Benihana
06-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Yawn. As a prospect he seems the opposite of his last name.

lollipopcurve
06-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Similar profile to Lecure, also a 4th rounder.

klw
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Ben Lively ‏@BenLively19 16h

Last night in Pcola off to Arizona tomorrow #reds #newlife

https://twitter.com/BenLively19

Blitz Dorsey
06-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Lively was a complete steal in the 4th round. His collegiate stats were impressive and he's off to a dazzling start at Billings. In his first 6 innings (2 starts, 3 innings apiece) he has struck out 13 and hasn't allowed a run.

wastedtime
06-30-2013, 04:41 PM
He had another dazzling start statwise today. 3 innings of 2 H, 1 BB, 7 K.

I didn't get a chance to listen to his start today, but I'm wondering if he is throwing a lot of pitches. 3 innings pitched seems kind of low.

PepperJack
06-30-2013, 05:39 PM
He had another dazzling start statwise today. 3 innings of 2 H, 1 BB, 7 K.

I didn't get a chance to listen to his start today, but I'm wondering if he is throwing a lot of pitches. 3 innings pitched seems kind of low.

My guess would be that the Reds are limiting him due to his innings pitched in college.

klw
07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
What is his stuff like? Does he have a lively fastball?

Blitz Dorsey
07-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Ha, as predicted, the puns have already started.

Says he topped off around 94 in college. Not sure what he's been clocked at in Billings. (But obviously whatever he's throwing, they aren't hitting. Extremely small sample size, of course.)

I thought Buckley always got his "college pitcher steal" in the third round, not the fourth. Hey, I'll take it though.

wastedtime
07-01-2013, 01:03 PM

I'd have to go back to redsminorleagues.com to be sure, but I think it said...

Fastball in the lower 90s; throws four pitches, but his slider is his main secondary pitch. Apparently, he can throw all of them for strikes.

mth123
07-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Ben wondering that myself.

texasdave
07-01-2013, 06:49 PM
I am always up for some Lively conversation.

klw
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
I would ask if he has a curve or a slider but that turned out to be a lively debate when it came to Cingrani.

wastedtime
07-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I would ask if he has a curve or a slider but that turned out to be a lively debate when it came to Cingrani.
The answer would have Ben, "yes."

texasdave
07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
If his curves are of the same quality as this B. Lively, he will be in the Show in no time.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSobOF00Of7TFYDPdJfgIBP65sLSbHGk DaXHdVzlSQE-tpIGxNiDg

That is Blake Lively for those of you who might be living under a rock somewhere.

Blitz Dorsey
07-02-2013, 12:53 AM
You guys!

Haha.

Blitz Dorsey
07-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Wow, Lively is up to 21 professional innings without giving up a run. Also averaging over a K per inning.

Fourth-round steal:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=594902

RedlegJake
07-29-2013, 08:04 PM
wow. For an unexciting guy with limited upside and no real prospects according to the pundits, he is doing quite well.

Blitz Dorsey
07-29-2013, 08:09 PM
wow. For an unexciting guy with limited upside and no real prospects according to the pundits, he is doing quite well.

Sounds like his fastball is a bit more, uh, er, LIVELY than we were led to believe.

(Now I'm even doing it. Damn. Haha.)

:beerme:

wastedtime
08-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Sounds like his fastball is a bit more, uh, er, LIVELY than we were led to believe.

(Now I'm even doing it. Damn. Haha.)

:beerme:

Wasn't his fastball supposed to have been in the lower 90s?

I wonder what we have on our hands.

klw
08-01-2013, 03:29 PM
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130801&content_id=55439498&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Lively, who boasts a four-pitch arsenal (fastball, curve, slider, changeup) wrapped up his three-year career at Central Florida in 2013 with the fourth-lowest ERA in school history (3.06) and ranks seventh all-time in wins (21).

The aspects of first-year pro pitching to which Lively has tried to get accustomed are pitch counts and innings limits. Lively has never pitched more than three innings in any start this season, meaning he's never been in line for a victory. He threw 106 innings this past season at Central Florida, so the Reds and Mustangs have been mindful of his workload.

"I always mess around in the dugout: 'Just let me get to five innings, let me get five innings,'" Lively said. "They won't let me."

That's because there's a future to protect.

"He's fun to watch," said Mustangs manager Pat Kelly. "He pitches like you're supposed to. He pitches down in the zone and he pitches to both sides of the plate. He's aggressive, he gets ahead, and he can put you away with the breaking ball or he can elevate the fastball to strike you out. He definitely shows why we drafted him."

RedlegJake
08-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Makes me wonder why scouts were so ho-hum about him. Throws with decent velocity. Aggressive. works all the zone. has control. All 4 pitches are quality pitches. Was it because he wasn't in a major conference? He sure seems to be a quality prospect to me.

Blitz Dorsey
08-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Makes me wonder why scouts were so ho-hum about him. Throws with decent velocity. Aggressive. works all the zone. has control. All 4 pitches are quality pitches. Was it because he wasn't in a major conference? He sure seems to be a quality prospect to me.

Buckley finds a steal from the college ranks almost every year. Usually it's in the third round. Cingrani is of course the most-notable, but it looked like Dan Langfield was on a similar path last year. There was also Donnie Joseph and Zach Stewart who were third-round picks. And this year Buckley nabs Lively in the fourth round. Just unbelievable. This guy's pedigree reads more like a supplemental first-rounder or perhaps a second-rounder at the latest.

Easy to say that now, I realize, but what am I missing? Good resume at a D-I college, four-pitch arsenal, ideal size for a pitcher at 6-4, fastball that tops off around 93-94 (per reports on RedReporter). I don't get it. But I'm sure glad we're the ones who ended up with him. Playing at UCF must have hurt his stock, but I don't understand why it should have. That's still a D-I school playing against top competition.

dougdirt
08-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't think his school mattered a bit. Rickie Weeks went 2nd overall and played at Southern University.

Blitz Dorsey
08-03-2013, 12:40 AM
I don't think his school mattered a bit. Rickie Weeks went 2nd overall and played at Southern University.

I agree. I just don't get it. Our first-rounder this year was from Samford.

TOBTTReds
08-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Was it because he wasn't in a major conference?

Major conferences only matter in NFL and NBA drafts. So many kids come from HS, or JUCO's that it doesn't mean much. Amateur scouting is about finding talent, not results.

Blitz Dorsey
08-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Major conferences only matter in NFL and NBA drafts. So many kids come from HS, or JUCO's that it doesn't mean much. Amateur scouting is about finding talent, not results.

Case-in-point: Stephen Strasburg. Course, not many guys can throw 100 MPH accurately, but it didn't matter if he went to San Diego State or USC. He was the clear No. 1 pick regardless. (Not that SDSU is some tiny school -- but it's somewhat on par with Central Florida.)

On the flip side, I'm convinced one of the reasons we got a complete steal at pick No. 27 with Phil Ervin is that he played at tiny Samford and not at a bigger school. If he played at Stanford instead of Samford, he would have been off the board before we picked. Dude was MVP of the Cape Cod league last summer!

RedlegJake
08-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I think the conference/college DOES have something to do with it for guys without great physical talent. If you have Dave Winfield/Strausberg like tools it doesn't matter. If you have baseball skills more than raw physical talent then it does have some bearing.

texasdave
08-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Pioneer League
Ben Lively, Billings
(0-0, 0.00 ERA, 2 G, 2 GS, 7 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 0 HBP, 0 BB, 10 K)
Lively has yet to pitch more than four innings in a game, but he's been remarkably effective in his 11 starts for Billings since being selected by the Reds in the fourth round of the 2013 Draft. In his first seven outings -- each covering three frames -- the 21-year-old right-hander did not allow an earned run. After finally being charged with runs in back-to-back games earlier this month, Lively was perfect this week, retiring all 21 batters he faced -- 10 by strikeout. Though he owns an 0-3 record, Lively has a tremendous 0.79 ERA with 43 strikeouts in 34 innings overall.

HokieRed
08-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Lively ben deadly

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Lively has been promoted to Dayton.

Pitcher Ben Lively promoted to Dayton from Billings, where he had a 0.73 ERA...3 earned runs in 37 innings...opps batting avg of .163.

Lively will start Friday night for the Dragons. He was Reds 4th round pick this summer out of University of Central Florida.

https://twitter.com/DragonsBaseball

RiverRat13
08-28-2013, 08:21 AM
I don't know why you guys are getting so excited over a starter who can't even post a single win this season... ;)

Chuckie
09-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I wonder if Lively will start at Dayton or Bakersfield next year. If you remember, Cingrani skipped low-A ball his second professional season. He pitched at Billings the year he was drafted and then jumped to Bakersfield to begin 2012.

RedlegJake
09-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Recapping his season:
0-4 record. Now for what matters
overall including Billings and Dayton:
0.88 era 13 starts only 41 IP because he was on both a strict pitch count and inning count (he had over 100 innings in college) only 23 hits and 13 BB with 56 Ks. Zero homers allowed. BAA was .161
He had 1 start at Dayton went 4 innings 2 hits 1 walk 7 Ks 1 er.

Pitcher of the week and an All Star in the Pioneer League.

In an interview he claims an uptick in his velocity from college, and credits getting ahead in the count and being able to keep the ball down in the zone to his success. True starter material. Can get to mid 90s. Sits low 90s. Curve-slider-change. Slider is said to be developing into a true plus pitch. All good pitches. Certainly has catapulted himself up the prospect list. Another season close to the success of this one and he'll sit very near the top, I'd imagine. Could end up in Pensacola fairly early next season - if his success continues at the same degree I'd think it almost certain. If he stalls a bit then maybe late in the year.

A link to a story from his Billings days
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130818&content_id=57460042&vkey=news_l128&fext=.jsp&sid=l128

mth123
09-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Very encouraged by Lively's debut. My question is how the short stints may be masking any issues he has. Did he use all his pitches in basically just one time through the line-up? Is his secondary stuff good enough to fool hitters when they get multiple looks at him? Is his velocity up because he isn't having to pace himself? I think he should probably be in the top 10 or 15 prospects, but I'd like to see how he does working his way through line-ups three times before jumping to any conclusions about his future.

RedlegJake
09-08-2013, 02:48 PM
mth - you make very good points. He was on such a strict pitch count it was rare hitters saw him more than twice through. That will be telling. So will his pitching when he has to go deeper into games and he battles fatigue and has to stay mentally focused for longer stretches.

redsof72
09-09-2013, 11:31 AM
He used 3 pitches in the game I saw. Hit 94 several times. Slider was a plus pitch. Curve was good at times. Looks like a keeper. Steal as a 4th round pick.

bellhead
09-09-2013, 06:05 PM
He used 3 pitches in the game I saw. Hit 94 several times. Slider was a plus pitch. Curve was good at times. Looks like a keeper. Steal as a 4th round pick.

72 tx for the insight..... Love hearing steal and 4th round together.:D

Since everybody's idea of a dream pitcher on here is the Cards Wacca does he compare to him stuff wise?