PDA

View Full Version : Cory Thompson

fearofpopvol1
06-07-2013, 03:23 PM
SS/RHP, high school, committed to South Carolina.

Another 2 way player looks intriguing. Scouts are split as to where he'll play. Very athletic guy.

klw
06-07-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.thestate.com/2013/06/05/2804182/mauldin-high-player-should-hear.html

Thompson has been a dominant starting pitcher for Mauldin. Featuring a fastball that consistently clocks 89-92 mph, he had a 1.70 ERA this season. He struck out 67 batters in 53 innings.

But Thompson is also a standout hitter who led off and played shortstop. He hit .416 with 42 runs, six home runs and 23 RBIs. He stole 16 bases in 17 attempts and struck out six times.

While pro scouts have been split on the position Thompson would play, he believes whatever team drafts him will allow him to hit first.

“Some scouts say if hitting doesn’t work out, I could switch back to pitching, but I couldn’t switch back to hitting after not hitting for a few years,” Thompson said.

Thompson, who has committed to South Carolina, said he will sit down with his family after the draft and determine if he will sign with a pro team or head to Columbia. He said the decision will be based primarily on how highly he’s drafted.

JaxRed
06-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Hopefully Reds got a feel that he would sign.

ProfessorTofty
06-07-2013, 03:29 PM
He said the decision will be based primarily on how highly hes drafted.
Well, I'd say he was drafted pretty highly, so hopefully that works in favor of signing.

Benihana
06-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Really like this pick. Maybe my favorite of the draft so far, when adjusting for where they were drafted.

I also loved the Hamilton pick immediately after it was made. I love the athletic shortstops from the southeast.

redsmetz
06-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Bumping this up because of this bit from the Billings Gazette. Thompson has moved over to second base with the signing of Alex Blandino. He indicates they'll play him at various positions.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/pioneer-league/mustangs/mustangs-close-one-out-beat-missoula/article_bccf490b-1700-5a4d-a443-57886c247b87.html

Benihana
06-27-2014, 12:36 PM
I really hope the Reds truly believe Blandino can stick at SS. Otherwise this doesn't make any sense whatsoever- Thompson is a true shortstop and a decent prospect. Blandino may be a better prospect overall, but there seems to be a unanimous feeling that he isn't a shortstop.

If that's truly the case, why not play Blandino at his true future position (likely 2B) and let Thompson try to turn into the Reds second SS prospect in the entire system?

corkedbat
06-27-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm for moving MI's (and some 3B's) around the infield in the lower minors and getting them accustomed to playing all around the IF (although i would play them predominantly at their projected position).

RedlegJake
06-27-2014, 12:58 PM
I see a Todd Frazier like upbringing for Thompson - shifting round, never having a position to call his own for very long. Now if he can just learn to hit like Frazier (well the production - I would not teach Todd's swing to anyone but it works for him)

dougdirt
06-27-2014, 01:07 PM
I really hope the Reds truly believe Blandino can stick at SS. Otherwise this doesn't make any sense whatsoever- Thompson is a true shortstop and a decent prospect. Blandino may be a better prospect overall, but there seems to be a unanimous feeling that he isn't a shortstop.

If that's truly the case, why not play Blandino at his true future position (likely 2B) and let Thompson try to turn into the Reds second SS prospect in the entire system?

It makes some sense. Blandino and Thompson are on very different timelines. Blandino is very likely to move fast. Thompson is going to move a bit slower. Does it set things back for 2014? Sure, but I don't think it does anything moving forward for Thompson.

redsmetz
06-27-2014, 01:27 PM
NM

dougdirt
06-27-2014, 02:05 PM
BTW, I know this is an old thread, but could a mod correct the spelling to "Corey"?

Why? His name is Cory.

redsmetz
06-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Why? His name is Cory.

My bad. The Gazette has it misspelled, but I see you're right. I've deleted my comment.

RedTeamGo!
06-27-2014, 02:34 PM
He does not wear his sunglasses at night.

Tom Servo
06-27-2014, 04:49 PM
What does Thompson shifting over to 2nd mean for Ty Washington?

Benihana
06-27-2014, 05:31 PM
It makes some sense. Blandino and Thompson are on very different timelines. Blandino is very likely to move fast. Thompson is going to move a bit slower. Does it set things back for 2014? Sure, but I don't think it does anything moving forward for Thompson.

Blandino may move quicker than Thompson, but if he's going to stay at SS he's limited by the movement of Daal ahead of him. Therefore it makes no sense to me. If you're going to eventually shift Blandino anyway, why not shift him now and let both play their more natural and projected future positions? If the Reds really believe in Blandino as a SS, then that's a different thing.

M2
06-27-2014, 06:00 PM
What does Thompson shifting over to 2nd mean for Ty Washington?

I believe the clinical term is that he's temporarily screwed. Or he could get some work at 3B, in which case Kevin Franklin could shift to 1B. And it all gets more crowded once you throw Sparks and O'Grady into the mix.

Blandino may move quicker than Thompson, but if he's going to stay at SS he's limited by the movement of Daal ahead of him. Therefore it makes no sense to me. If you're going to eventually shift Blandino anyway, why not shift him now and let both play their more natural and projected future positions? If the Reds really believe in Blandino as a SS, then that's a different thing.

Fair point, if Blandino's going to stick at SS (which I highly doubt) and move quick, then Daal either has to move up ahead of him, or he has to move over, or Blandino's got to skip over Dayton.

Benihana
06-27-2014, 10:26 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again- the Reds should try to convert Franklin to catcher. He is superfluous as a 3B with Frazier, SMB, Rahier and Sparks in the organization. Plus, he's got the build, the arm, and he's a second round pick so I wouldn't throw him to the trash heap just because the organization has a lot of talent at the position already.

Washington, IMO, could be playing 2B in Dayton- especially if Blandino isn't going to be there.

napalextus
06-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Daal is already ahead of Blandino in the organization anyway. There is no reason to think that Daal won't move to High A next year when Blandino will likely move to Low A. If Blandino hits and proves he can stay at SS then the organization will likely move Daal off SS to accommodate Blandino. If he can't stay at SS then he will be moved. A player in front of him in the minors is not much of an obstacle.

I think Franklin needs to hit before a position switch is instituted. A major position switch like that is almost certain to stunt his progress. The positional logjam is irrelevant. Sparks has not even signed yet, Rahier is in Dayton and SMB in Pensacola; the talent is spread out.

RedlegJake
06-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Josciel Veras makes the Billings crunch in the MI even bigger - he's played very well so far. Veras, Thompson, Washington, Blandino and Chavez (who isn't hitting but has a great glove). Makes you wonder if one of the college guys might be moved up - like Veras or Thompson. Except Dayton has Daal, Rachal, Bueno and Diaz and McGruder already.

Benihana
06-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Josciel Veras makes the Billings crunch in the MI even bigger - he's played very well so far. Veras, Thompson, Washington, Blandino and Chavez (who isn't hitting but has a great glove). Makes you wonder if one of the college guys might be moved up - like Veras or Thompson. Except Dayton has Daal, Rachal, Bueno and Diaz and McGruder already.

Said it before and I'll say it again - Blandino should be playing 2B in Dayton

Chuckie
07-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again - Blandino should be playing 2B in Dayton

Yep. Makes too much sense.

No way he sticks at SS. But hey, let's have him play SS anyway! Even if it hurts the development of real SS prospects like Cory Thompson.

RED VAN HOT
07-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Yep. Makes too much sense.

No way he sticks at SS. But hey, let's have him play SS anyway! Even if it hurts the development of real SS prospects like Cory Thompson.

At least he is hitting like a SS.

RedTeamGo!
07-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Blandino playing some games at short is not going to hurt Thompson's development.

I would rather have Thompson gain experience at both SS and 2B anyways.

RedlegJake
07-01-2014, 03:23 PM
At least he is hitting like a SS.

LOL....after 22 ABs?

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
LOL....after 22 ABs?

I think he was (somewhat) joking. I found it funny.

But you have to admit Buckley's history of taking hitters in the supplemental first round or second round is very poor (with Winker being the lone exception recently; Frazier an exception a few years back). Jeff Gelalich, Ryan LaMarre, Kevin Franklin, Gabriel Rosa ... on and on and on. Just for that reason, I was skeptical of the Blandino pick. Add in the fact that we put up this facade that he could play SS (when everyone on the outside says no way he'll play SS at the MLB level -- he didn't even play SS for Stanford) and I disliked the pick even more.

22 ABs is an extremely small sample size. Let's just hope it's a slow start and he won't turn out like some of the disappointments Buckley took in the supplemental round or second round recently.

RedTeamGo!
07-02-2014, 11:32 AM
2 supplemental picks or 2nd round picks in a 6-7 year period that develop into one of the best third basemen in the NL and an elite LF prospect is not bad. You have to remember the MLB draft after the first couple picks is basically a crap shoot.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 12:25 PM
2 supplemental picks or 2nd round picks in a 6-7 year period that develop into one of the best third basemen in the NL and an elite LF prospect is not bad. You have to remember the MLB draft after the first couple picks is basically a crap shoot.

Just seems to be Buckley's weakness for whatever reason. Just like finding pitching gems out of the college ranks in the 3rd or 4th round is his wheelhouse. It's uncanny. Zach Stewart, Donnie Joseph, Tony Cingrani, Dan Langfield, Jon Moscot, Ben Lively ... and hopefully Wyatt Strahan. (The Reds used Stewart and Joseph as valuable trade chips.)

Just seems like Buckley struggles when he targets a position player in the supplemental round or the 2nd round. Whereas, he hits HRs in the 3rd and 4th round. It's really weird.

And he usually does a "solid" job with the first-round picks. Perhaps better than solid. Overall, I like Buckley a lot. But his weakness is definitely those batters from the supplemental and 2nd rounds. Hopefully Blandino will turn this trend around. I'd feel better about him if there was anyone outside of the organization that believed there was a chance he would stick at SS. He'll be a 2B all the way, IMO.

Benihana
07-02-2014, 12:29 PM

But you have to admit Buckley's history of taking hitters in the supplemental first round or second round is very poor (with Winker being the lone exception recently; Frazier an exception a few years back). Jeff Gelalich, Ryan LaMarre, Kevin Franklin, Gabriel Rosa ... on and on and on. Just for that reason, I was skeptical of the Blandino pick. Add in the fact that we put up this facade that he could play SS (when everyone on the outside says no way he'll play SS at the MLB level -- he didn't even play SS for Stanford) and I disliked the pick even more.

22 ABs is an extremely small sample size. Let's just hope it's a slow start and he won't turn out like some of the disappointments Buckley took in the supplemental round or second round recently.

I think the more pertinent argument against Buckley/Blandino is the college hitter, solid but unspectacular tools tweener "baseball rat" argument - not exclusive to the supplemental round but really if you look at the first five rounds over the last several years:

Chris Valaika
Ryan LaMarre
Devin Lohman
Brodie Greene
Ryan Wright
Jeff Gelalich

I think they are better examples of reasons for skepticism for Blandino rather than Gabriel Rosa and KJ Franklin - while those two haven't broken out yet, they're still not legally allowed to drink either. Of course the one mitigant to that list would be Todd Frazier, who (one could argue) is an upside comp for Blandino, although I think Frazier's bat profiled better.

I too am and was lukewarm on the Blandino pick, but willing to give him at least a year or three before corroborating my own suspicions.

RedTeamGo!
07-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Just seems to be Buckley's weakness for whatever reason. Just like finding pitching gems out of the college ranks in the 3rd or 4th round is his wheelhouse. It's uncanny. Zach Stewart, Donnie Joseph, Tony Cingrani, Dan Langfield, Jon Moscot, Ben Lively ... and hopefully Wyatt Strahan. (The Reds used Stewart and Joseph as valuable trade chips.)

Just seems like Buckley struggles when he targets a position player in the supplemental round or the 2nd round. Whereas, he hits HRs in the 3rd and 4th round. It's really weird.

And he usually does a "solid" job with the first-round picks. Perhaps better than solid. Overall, I like Buckley a lot. But his weakness is definitely those batters from the supplemental and 2nd rounds. Hopefully Blandino will turn this trend around. I'd feel better about him if there was anyone outside of the organization that believed there was a chance he would stick at SS. He'll be a 2B all the way, IMO.

I just feel like every team has a high failure rate on hitters after the first round.

dougdirt
07-02-2014, 02:14 PM

Where do I even start here?

You conveniently left out our starting shortstop and center fielder from that second round list. You included two guys in your "told you so" list who are 19 and 20. You also left off Tanner Rahier, who is hitting pretty well in Dayton right now at age 20.

I think you believe it is a lot easier to draft guys than it actually is. The Cincinnati Reds track record under Chris Buckley is phenomenal in the draft. You should go back and look at this history for how often second rounders don't amount to much before acting like the Reds are having some sort of monumental failure issue going on.

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Where do I even start here?

You conveniently left out our starting shortstop and center fielder from that second round list. You included two guys in your "told you so" list who are 19 and 20. You also left off Tanner Rahier, who is hitting pretty well in Dayton right now at age 20.

I think you believe it is a lot easier to draft guys than it actually is. The Cincinnati Reds track record under Chris Buckley is phenomenal in the draft. You should go back and look at this history for how often second rounders don't amount to much before acting like the Reds are having some sort of monumental failure issue going on.

Good point, I forgot about Billy for some reason. (Which, admittedly, is a huge omission.)

I did say I love Buckley overall, I just think the college batters he's selected recently in the supplemental/second rounds have been very bad. And I do not think drafting in MLB is easy. It's the ultimate crap shoot, but it is strange Buckeye seems to do better in the third/fourth rounds than he does in the supplemental/second rounds. Again, overall, I love the guy and think he does a hell of a job.

Benihana
07-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Good point, I forgot about Billy for some reason. (Which, admittedly, is a huge omission.)

I did say I love Buckley overall, I just think the college batters he's selected recently in the supplemental/second rounds have been very bad. And I do not think drafting in MLB is easy. It's the ultimate crap shoot, but it is strange Buckeye seems to do better in the third/fourth rounds than he does in the supplemental/second rounds. Again, overall, I love the guy and think he does a hell of a job.

When it comes to hitters (college or not), I'm not sure his track record in the 3rd or 4th round is any better than the supplemental or 2nd? He's had a couple of very good picks in the 3rd round (Stewart and Cingrani) and one in the 4th (Lively). Not sure who else is relevant there - certainly not any hitters?

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 04:57 PM
When it comes to hitters (college or not), I'm not sure his track record in the 3rd or 4th round is any better than the supplemental or 2nd? He's had a couple of very good picks in the 3rd round (Stewart and Cingrani) and one in the 4th (Lively). Not sure who else is relevant there - certainly not any hitters?

Dan Langfield, Jon Moscot and Donnie Joseph (valuable trade chip). Buckley is money when it comes to drafting college pitchers in the 3rd and 4th round.

Benihana
07-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Dan Langfield, Jon Moscot and Donnie Joseph (valuable trade chip). Buckley is money when it comes to drafting college pitchers in the 3rd and 4th round.

I said hitters? per your previous quote

Chuckie
07-02-2014, 09:34 PM
I said hitters? per your previous quote

Oh, sorry, I was saying Buckley is $ when it comes to college pitchers in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

Rojo
07-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Looking at the system as a product of Buckley, we see one that's rich in pitching, with some polished bats and sadly lacking middle infielders.

On the whole, he''s done a great job. On the last point, I guess this is my nit to pick. And it's probably why I'm anti-Blandino. Recognizing our own limitations is important and I'd hope that Buckley can see that there's a time to break with his instincts. IOW, I'd really wished he'd occassionally roll the dice on a true SS.

Benihana
07-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Looking at the system as a product of Buckley, we see one that's rich in pitching, with some polished bats and sadly lacking middle infielders.

On the whole, he''s done a great job. On the last point, I guess this is my nit to pick. And it's probably why I'm anti-Blandino. Recognizing our own limitations is important and I'd hope that Buckley can see that there's a time to break with his instincts. IOW, I'd really wished he'd occassionally roll the dice on a true SS.

The irony is, wasn't Buckley the guy when he first arrived that strongly preferred middle of the diamond players? He clearly shifted to pitchers and corner of the diamond players over the last 4 years or so- hasn't drafted a single middle of the diamond player in the first three rounds during that time- unless you count Blandino the college 3B.

Rojo
07-03-2014, 07:59 PM
The irony is, wasn't Buckley the guy when he first arrived that strongly preferred middle of the diamond players? He clearly shifted to pitchers and corner of the diamond players over the last 4 years or so- hasn't drafted a single middle of the diamond player in the first three rounds during that time- unless you count Blandino the college 3B.

I don't think this is a conscious choice. I just think his yen for polished bats and his "can play multiple positions" thing is blinding him to some players. It's mostly worked, so I'm not asking him to churn it up, just take a flyer on a toolsy SS every once in a while.

M2
07-07-2014, 06:26 PM
19 games into the season, Thompson boats a .333/.356/.580 slash line. It's too early to declare him the future SS of the Reds, but he's quickly becoming a prospect to watch.

Benihana
07-07-2014, 07:02 PM
19 games into the season, Thompson boats a .333/.356/.580 slash line. It's too early to declare him the future SS of the Reds, but he's quickly becoming a prospect to watch.

Read post #5 in the thread. He's been a prospect to watch since the day he was drafted ;)

Rojo
07-07-2014, 07:47 PM

I'm heartned, truly. But also, Billings.

Chuckie
07-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Pretty fired up about both Thompson and Blandino. They're each raking at Billings. Finally some quality middle infield depth in the Reds' minor league system? We can only hope.