PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Pages : [1] 2

Benihana
06-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Here are some names to watch for the Reds in next year's draft one year in advance:

Carlos Rodon LHP - N.Carolina St.
Tyler Beede RHP - Vanderbilt
Trea Turner SS - N.Carolina St.
Liam Sabino SS - HS
Jacob Gatewood SS - HS
Bryson Brigman SS - HS
Matt Chapman SS - Cal State Fullerton
Montrell Marshall SS - HS
Tate Blackman SS - HS
Justin Smith OF - HS
Sean Newcomb LHP - Hartford
Kyle Schwarber C/1B - Indiana - local kid and as a bonus, I'm going to his sister's wedding next month
Alex Jackson C - HS
Grayson Greiner C - S.Carolina
Connor Lynch C - Ga.Tech

Will be fun to revisit this list next June.

lollipopcurve
06-11-2013, 03:38 PM
From what little I've heard, the catcher Alex Jackson could be an elite prospect.

19braves77
06-12-2013, 12:11 AM
I wonder how many years we will have to wait until we get another Bryce Harper. Everytime a little league team checks in my hotel, I ask the coach is there anybody that stands out. Another 15 years ?

Benihana
06-12-2013, 12:21 AM
I wonder how many years we will have to wait until we get another Bryce Harper. Everytime a little league team checks in my hotel, I ask the coach is there anybody that stands out. Another 15 years ?

Could be. Took 17 years between A-Rod and Harper, but only took 6 between Griffey and A-Rod. Ironic that 2 teams got to enjoy the 4 best Draft talents of the last 25 years.

Benihana
06-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Trea Turner would fit this organization's needs like a glove (no pun intended).

A college SS who can swing the bat and would move quickly, possibly debuting as early as 2016. Imagine a 2016 lineup of:

CF Hamilton
LF Winker/Ervin
1B Votto
2B Phillips
RF Bruce
3B Frazier
C Mesoraco
SS Turner

SP Latos/Cueto
SP Stephenson
SP Chapman
SP Cingrani
SP Contreras/Travieso (although Travieso likely won't be ready until 2017 or 2018)

CL Lorenzen

HotCorner
06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Still blows my mind that the Nationals could have had BOTH Bryce Harper AND Mike Trout but drafted Drew Storen instead in the 2009 draft.

texasdave
06-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Could be. Took 17 years between A-Rod and Harper, but only took 6 between Griffey and A-Rod. Ironic that 2 teams got to enjoy the 4 best Draft talents of the last 25 years.

1) Would Josh Hamilton slide into that group?
2) Junior was 26 years ago. How time flies. :)

klw
06-12-2013, 10:03 AM
I think the Reds will go after that kid from California, that RHP in HS whose name escapes me, that middle infielder from Georgia or is it Mississippi, the youngster from Florida, and that local guy who makes good.

Benihana
07-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Here are some names to watch for the Reds in next year's draft one year in advance:

Carlos Rodon LHP - N.Carolina St.
Tyler Beede RHP - Vanderbilt
Trea Turner SS - N.Carolina St.
Liam Sabino SS - HS
Jacob Gatewood SS - HS
Bryson Brigman SS - HS
Matt Chapman SS - Cal State Fullerton
Montrell Marshall SS - HS
Tate Blackman SS - HS
Justin Smith OF - HS
Sean Newcomb LHP - Hartford
Kyle Schwarber C/1B - Indiana - local kid and as a bonus, I'm going to his sister's wedding next month
Alex Jackson C - HS
Grayson Greiner C - S.Carolina
Connor Lynch C - Ga.Tech

Will be fun to revisit this list next June.

Couple other names to add to the list (why not, it's only 10 months out!):

Ti'quan Forbes HS SS, Nick Gordon HS SS and Marcus Wilson HS OF

Those three, along with shortstops Trea Turner, Jacob Gatewood, Montrell Marshall and HS catcher Alex Jackson are the top seven guys I'd love to see in Red. Carlos Rodon and Tyler Beede seem to be the consensus top two guys (both pitchers), so barring injury or meltdown it seems unlikely that they would fall out of the top half of the first round. That said, in 10 months a lot stranger things have happened.

PepperJack
07-30-2013, 04:38 PM
This seems the best place for this:http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/7/27/4558480/extremely-early-2014-mlb-draft-rankings

That is Matt Garrioch's early 2014 draft board. Which he ranks his top 150 players.

His top 10:

1) Carlos Rodon, LHP, JR. N.C. State
2) Jeff Hoffman, RHP, JR, East Carolina
3) Tyler Kolek, RHP/1B, TX HS
4) Braxton Davidson, OF/1B, NC HS
5) Tyler Beede, RHP, JR. Vandy
6) Gregory Deichmann, 3B, LA HS
7) Trea Turner, SS/3B, JR. N.C. State
8) Alex Jackson, OF/C, CA HS
9) Luis Ortiz, RHP, CA HS
10) Jacob Gatewood, SS CA HS

Gallen5862
07-31-2013, 08:23 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130717&content_id=53967108&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

As a result, the Colorado Rockies had the best odds at receiving that selection, currently No. 32, with a 17 percent chance. Those odds came in, as Colorado was awarded the top pick in the lottery. The Cleveland Indians (13.9 percent), Miami Marlins (13.2) and Kansas City Royals (11.2) had the next-best odds. Cleveland ended up with the third selection, behind the Baltimore Orioles, with the Marlins and Royals falling in behind the Indians. The Milwaukee Brewers nabbed the final pick in Round A.

The Padres got the first pick in Round B, followed by the Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Rays Pirates and Mariners.

lottery results
Below are the results of the Competitive Balance Lottery, which establishes the order for Comp Rounds A and B in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.

Pick Comp A
1 Rockies
2 Orioles (Traded to Astros)
3 Indians
4 Marlins
5 Royals
6 Brewers

Pick Comp B

1 Padres (Traded to D-backs)
2 D-backs
3 Cardinals
4 Rays
5 Pirates
6 Mariners

RED VAN HOT
08-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Subsequently, the Padres traded their Comp B pick to the D-Backs in the Ian Kennedy deal.

SpanishArmada
08-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Few guys to add:

Nick Burdi RHP, Louisville (My top target)
Michael Cederoth RHP, San Diego St.
Brady Aiken LHP, Cathedral Catholic HS (GA)
Brandon Finnegan LHP, TCU
Sean Newcomb LHP, Hartford

Gallen5862
09-02-2013, 02:53 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ask-ba-2014-draft-top-prospects/

Ask BA: 2014 Draft’s Top Prospects

While next year’s draft class is a definite improvement over those of the last two years, I came up with nine guys I thought clearly belonged but agonized over the final spot. Both John Manuel and Aaron Fitt are bullish on Louisiana State righthander Austin Nola, so I let them talk me into putting him at No. 10:

1. Carlos Rodon, lhp, North Carolina State
Spectacular summer with Team USA cements him as clear top prospect for now.
2. Jeff Hoffman, rhp, East Carolina
Starred in Cape Cod League last two summers with mid-90s fastball, big-breaking curve.
3. Tyler Kolek, rhp, Shepherd (Texas) HS
His size (6-foot-6, 250-pounds), consistent upper-90s fastball make him the top prep prospect.
4. Trea Turner, ss, North Carolina State
More than just a burner, he also offers hitting prowess and the ability to stick at shortstop.
5. Alex Jackson, c/of, Rancho Bernardo HS, San Diego
Plays a premium position, has some of the best power potential in the 2014 crop.
6. Jacob Gatewood, ss, Clovis (Calif.) HS
Put on a show during Home Run Derby at Citi Field, may wind up at third base down the road.
7. Tyler Beede, rhp, Vanderbilt
Can make hitters swing and miss with three pitches but can’t always control and command them.
8. Touki Toussaint, rhp, Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian HS
Has struggled with command this summer but his premium stuff is impossible to deny.
9. Brady Aiken, lhp/of, Cathedral Catholic HS, San Diego
Projectable athlete could have three plus pitches in time, reminds me of Trey Ball at same stage.
10. Aaron Nola, rhp, Louisiana State
With his solid fastball, plus changeup and impressive pitchability, he’ll move quickly in pro ball.

lollipopcurve
09-02-2013, 05:14 PM
A guy I liked coming out of HS, and who I like even more now, is LSU middle infielder Alex Bregman. Not the kind of high ceiling player that gets raves here, but a kid who can hit and win.

corkedbat
09-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Trea Turner would fit this organization's needs like a glove (no pun intended).

A college SS who can swing the bat and would move quickly, possibly debuting as early as 2016. Imagine a 2016 lineup of:

CF Hamilton
LF Winker/Ervin
1B Votto
2B Phillips
RF Bruce
3B Frazier
C Mesoraco
SS Turner

SP Latos/Cueto
SP Stephenson
SP Chapman
SP Cingrani
SP Contreras/Travieso (although Travieso likely won't be ready until 2017 or 2018)

CL Lorenzen

I seriously belive that the final ship of the Chapman-to-the-rotationflotilla sailed this past spring - not tht that is bad thing - I doubt Arolis would be omre than a pedestrian starter after taking into account the loss of velocity he would see after converting to a starting role.

I also think that at least two, if not three of Latos, Cueto, Bailey and Leake will still be in the Cincy rotation come 2016 along with Cingrani and Stephenson. I aso believe somone like Moscot (among others) may push for an open spot if there is one.

Benihana
09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
I seriously belive that the final ship of the Chapman-to-the-rotationflotilla sailed this past spring - not tht that is bad thing - I doubt Arolis would be omre than a pedestrian starter after taking into account the loss of velocity he would see after converting to a starting role.

I also think that at least two, if not three of Latos, Cueto, Bailey and Leake will still be in the Cincy rotation come 2016 along with Cingrani and Stephenson. I aso believe somone like Moscot (among others) may push for an open spot if there is one.

I tend to agree with you on Chapman - the referenced post was made 3 months ago.

That said, my new preferred course would be to trade either Chapman or Bailey this offseason for a young, ML-ready infielder we could plug immediately into the lineup. Guys who fit the bill include Jurickson Profar and Xander Bogaerts. A trade with the Dodgers may also make sense if we could wrestle away Joc Pedersen and Corey Seager.

Then we could comfortably draft BPA and not worry about having to infuse our system with middle infield prospects, as the current dearth of talent in the organization would be taken care of.

We could also then either keep Cozart for depth, or trade him for a one-year rental/platoon player in CF- someone like Nori Aoki (although the Brewers have Segura) or Brett Gardner (if the Yanks re-sign Granderson and Cano and need some salary relief to get under the luxury tax).

bellhead
09-14-2013, 07:03 PM
If Choo and Arroyo both walk, and we offer compensation what are we looking at in return? Also is this a deep draft?

cinreds21
09-14-2013, 07:15 PM
It's a deeper draft than the previous two. And if a team that doesn't pick in the top 10 will give up its draft pick if a qualifying offer is made. If the team is in the top 10 (i.e. Mets, Cubs), they will surrender it's second highest pick and the original team will receive a compensation pick.

If I didn't explain that well (I probably didn't) Here's a full explanation: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/explaining-qualifying-offers.html

bellhead
09-15-2013, 02:56 PM
So we would receive one compensatory pick for each in between rounds 1 & 2...

mth123
09-15-2013, 03:11 PM
So we would receive one compensatory pick for each in between rounds 1 & 2...

Yep, but I'm still on the fence as to whether an offer to Arroyo makes sense. I'd hate to see the Reds have to sell off other more valuable and longer term stuff to save money to make up for an Arroyo one year deal in the $13 to $14 Million range. If I was Arroyo, I'd absolutely take an offer if it was given.

HokieRed
09-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Yep, but I'm still on the fence as to whether an offer to Arroyo makes sense. I'd hate to see the Reds have to sell off other more valuable and longer term stuff to save money to make up for an Arroyo one year deal in the $13 to $14 Million range. If I was Arroyo, I'd absolutely take an offer if it was given.

I'm starting to worry about this too. If Arroyo thinks that a 30 for 3 contract is about the best he's likely to get, why wouldn't he take a 13-14 million contract for one year? His likelihood of finding a 2 for 16 contract the next year is going to be much higher than getting the 3 for 30 now. If he puts up a good year in 2014, he may get that from the Reds. Making the qualifying offer looks pretty risky to me, though of course one hates to see him walk without our getting any compensation.

mth123
09-15-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm starting to worry about this too. If Arroyo thinks that a 30 for 3 contract is about the best he's likely to get, why wouldn't he take a 13-14 million contract for one year? His likelihood of finding a 2 for 16 contract the next year is going to be much higher than getting the 3 for 30 now. If he puts up a good year in 2014, he may get that from the Reds. Making the qualifying offer looks pretty risky to me, though of course one hates to see him walk without our getting any compensation.

With a draft pick attached to signing him, I'm not convinced 3 for $30 is all that likely. I'm thinking 2 for $18 or so with maybe an option on the 3rd year with a small buy-out. Teams that are in the bottom 10 probably won't be interested in a 37 Y/O Arroyo, so a signing team will lose a first rounder. If the money is so high to give them pause, they'll just look elsewhere.

HokieRed
09-15-2013, 06:02 PM
With a draft pick attached to signing him, I'm not convinced 3 for $30 is all that likely. I'm thinking 2 for $18 or so with maybe an option on the 3rd year with a small buy-out. Teams that are in the bottom 10 probably won't be interested in a 37 Y/O Arroyo, so a signing team will lose a first rounder. If the money is so high to give them pause, they'll just look elsewhere.

If 2 for 18 is the number, then the presumption had better be that Arroyo will take the Reds' qualifying offer. At this point I think they'd better not make it as I don't see how they can take the risk of spending that much on him. Team needs too much restructuring otherwise.

mth123
09-15-2013, 07:22 PM
If 2 for 18 is the number, then the presumption had better be that Arroyo will take the Reds' qualifying offer. At this point I think they'd better not make it as I don't see how they can take the risk of spending that much on him. Team needs too much restructuring otherwise.

I'm leaning that way as well. The one thing though is that Arroyo may be bent on getting a three year deal and pass on the offer before he realizes it's a mistake. That seems a pretty big gamble to take since agreeing to the offer likely means cutting elsewhere (Bailey or Leake I'd guess and probably some other stuff too). They have some lesser dollar stuff they could move to free up some budget (Heisey and Hanigan might be examples of guys who will cost a couple million each and may need to be moved to afford more pressing needs and moving Ondrusek may help), but if Arroyo is back for a qualifying deal, moving them won't free money for a CF stopgap, just helps fit Arroyo onto the payroll.

Benihana
09-15-2013, 07:38 PM

Disagree. Reds should make the offer. It's worth the risk to get the pick. Worst case, Reds can either trade Arroyo if he accepts (not sure if this is legal?) or they can trade Bailey for one of the guy(s) I mentioned above (ie Profar, Bogaerts, Seager/Pedersen). Of course, I'd rather have Bailey than Arroyo, but I think getting an extra first round pick is worth risking the difference between the two (not to mention the players they could fetch in a Bailey trade).

mth123
09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Disagree. Reds should make the offer. It's worth the risk to get the pick. Worst case, Reds can either trade Arroyo if he accepts (not sure if this is legal?) or they can trade Bailey for one of the guy(s) I mentioned above (ie Profar, Bogaerts, Seager/Pedersen). Of course, I'd rather have Bailey than Arroyo, but I think getting an extra first round pick is worth risking the difference between the two (not to mention the players they could fetch in a Bailey trade).

A couple presumptions I disagree with:

1. Trading Bailey would be enough to offset Arroyo's cost.
2. Anyone would deal for Arroyo at $13 Million+
3. The Reds could get the top end guys you are talking about for a Bailey rental

IMO, Arroyo coming back on a qualifying offer would lead to punting 2014. The rotation would be weakened if Bailey is dealt while Arroyo fills that spot. CF would need to be filled from within with players who have proven to be inadequate or not ready and the Reds would need to find another $3 or $4 Million some how probably by weakening the bullpen significantly.

I see an offer as gambling the 2014 pennant race for a sandwich pick. I wouldn't make that trade.

HokieRed
09-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Bailey gone, in my view, equals no contention in 2014. I just don't see us replacing 215 innings of 1.10 baseball next year.

Benihana
09-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Bailey gone, in my view, equals no contention in 2014. I just don't see us replacing 215 innings of 1.10 baseball next year.

You don't think a healthy Johnny Cueto could replicate/replace Bailey?

Benihana
09-15-2013, 09:56 PM
A couple presumptions I disagree with:

1. Trading Bailey would be enough to offset Arroyo's cost.
2. Anyone would deal for Arroyo at $13 Million+
3. The Reds could get the top end guys you are talking about for a Bailey rental

IMO, Arroyo coming back on a qualifying offer would lead to punting 2014. The rotation would be weakened if Bailey is dealt while Arroyo fills that spot. CF would need to be filled from within with players who have proven to be inadequate or not ready and the Reds would need to find another $3 or $4 Million some how probably by weakening the bullpen significantly.

I see an offer as gambling the 2014 pennant race for a sandwich pick. I wouldn't make that trade.

I wouldn't trade Bailey unless it was significantly upgrading the offense (ie SS or CF)

mth123
09-15-2013, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't trade Bailey unless it was significantly upgrading the offense (ie SS or CF)

Except if Arroyo accepts a deal for $13 Million plus, they are going to have to trade some money off the roster. So how do you fit that into the budget without dealing Bailey?

Benihana
09-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Except if Arroyo accepts a deal for $13 Million plus, they are going to have to trade some money off the roster. So how do you fit that into the budget without dealing Bailey?

Point is - by trading Bailey you're upgrading the offense. And if Johnny Cueto is healthy, he should be able to pitch like Vailey did this year. So with what would appear to be the same or a better team than this year, I have a hard time seeing how anyone would be punting 2014.

mth123
09-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Point is - by trading Bailey you're upgrading the offense. And if Johnny Cueto is healthy, he should be able to pitch like Vailey did this year. So with what would appear to be the same or a better team than this year, I have a hard time seeing how anyone would be punting 2014.

Not so sure. Your trading Bailey for prospects who don't make any money. Arroyo accepting the deal takes all the money and Bailey is being dealt to get back to budget. If you take money back, you're still over-budget. Under those circumstances, you get the best prospects you can get and that may not include anyone who is ready to upgrade the offense in 2014. There is only a limited few guys who may satisfy those requirements and you may not get any of them, but you'll still be forced to deal Bailey because Arroyo accepting means he has to go.

If you want to shop Bailey to upgrade the offense, then there has to be an option for keeping him if you don't get what you want. If Arroyo accepts a big contract, that option won't exist. You'll be moving from shopping Bailey to dumping Bailey.

Benihana
09-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Not so sure. Your trading Bailey for prospects who don't make any money. Arroyo accepting the deal takes all the money and Bailey is being dealt to get back to budget. If you take money back, you're still over-budget. Under those circumstances, you get the best prospects you can get and that may not include anyone who is ready to upgrade the offense in 2014. There is only a limited few guys who may satisfy those requirements and you may not get any of them, but you'll still be forced to deal Bailey because Arroyo accepting means he has to go.

If you want to shop Bailey to upgrade the offense, then there has to be an option for keeping him if you don't get what you want. If Arroyo accepts a big contract, that option won't exist. You'll be moving from shopping Bailey to dumping Bailey.

Again disagree. Good GMs know their players' value in the trade market. It's their job. If Walt doesnt believe he can trade Bailey for a cheap upgrade to the offense, maybe they shouldn't make a qualifying offer to Arroyo. I happen to believe Bailey could fetch that on the trade market, which is why I'd make the offer.

mth123
09-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Again disagree. Good GMs know their players' value in the trade market. It's their job. If Walt doesnt believe he can trade Bailey for a cheap upgrade to the offense, maybe they shouldn't make a qualifying offer to Arroyo. I happen to believe Bailey could fetch that on the trade market, which is why I'd make the offer.

Counting on being able to find the exact right prospect or two who can upgrade the offense for 2014 is pretty iffy. Bailey probably wouldn't fetch Profar, but even if he would, it's debatable that his .639 OPS would upgrade the offense in 2014. I'm sure every other young player would be in the same boat.

IMO, the answer to the offense is to let Arroyo walk and keep Bailey while using that $4 or $5 Million difference between Arroyo's qualifying offer and Bailey's likely arb award to secure an affordable stopgap with a track record.

I'm all for adding young talent too, but the depth area is the bullpen IMO (especially if Marshall and maybe Broxton seem likely to be back in 2014). Chapman is the guy I'd deal for that young talent. He'd free enough money to allow a mid-range free agent or two to backfill in the pen more reasonably and maybe help get a better guy to stopgap CF while filling the holes with vets to allow the team to get the best young guys available rather than taking lesser ones who may fill those needs. Keeping Arroyo and dealing Bailey doesn't free money to do that (because Arroyo is likely to make $4 or $5 million more than Bailey would). Keeping the better arm for lesser bucks while dealing Chapman gives wiggle room. Subbing Arroyo for Bailey eats it up.

bellhead
09-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Kind of a gamble...

Offer Arroyo, if he accepts come back with an additional year for 5 to 7 million more. Trade Bailey at that point.

HokieRed
09-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Kind of a gamble...

Offer Arroyo, if he accepts come back with an additional year for 5 to 7 million more. Trade Bailey at that point.

Under this scenario, 3/5ths of the rotation consists of a 37 year old, a guy who'll make about 11 or 12 starts this year, and a promising young second year lefthander (remember Travis Wood's 2nd season?). I'd project that team no better than 3rd in our division.

REDREAD
09-17-2013, 10:09 AM

I think it's harder to predict than that.
For example, the Brewers signed Lohse last year. Who would've predicted that?
And the Indians signing Bourne was a surprise.

Arroyo is an inning eater and potentially a mentor for young pitching.
I could see a team like Houston interested in signing Bronson.
Sure, they give up a 2nd round pick, but in return, they get a guy to eat 200 innings, which helps protect their young pitchers. Arroyo might also be able to teach them a few things. Then there's always the option of trading Arroyo at the deadline in 2015 or 2016.

Bronson has been so durable and reliable, some team will think it's not risky to offer him 3 years. I think there's going to be a lot of interest. An article mentioned the Giants as well.

Based on what Bronson said in the interview, I think there's no chance of him accepting arbitration with the Reds. He said this is probably his last chance to get a LTC, and there's always the risk of your career ending in spring training...

bellhead
09-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Under this scenario, 3/5ths of the rotation consists of a 37 year old, a guy who'll make about 11 or 12 starts this year, and a promising young second year lefthander (remember Travis Wood's 2nd season?). I'd project that team no better than 3rd in our division.

Cueto until his recent problems has had no injuries ever. Hopefully it was a one time thing and it is now straightened out.

As for Ciangrani dude will be in the starting rotation mainly because he is only making 700k or whatever the league min. is.

As a mid-major team you have to take risks the Major market teams don't mainly because of payroll and this is one of them.

Greg Reynolds is serviceable and hopefully will be resigned, and in a pinch we have Sharky and Corcino at AAA...

Benihana
09-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Cueto until his recent problems has had no injuries ever. Hopefully it was a one time thing and it is now straightened out.

As for Ciangrani dude will be in the starting rotation mainly because he is only making 700k or whatever the league min. is.

As a mid-major team you have to take risks the Major market teams don't mainly because of payroll and this is one of them.

Greg Reynolds is serviceable and hopefully will be resigned, and in a pinch we have Sharky and Corcino at AAA...

Agreed, I think the OP makes a ridiculous assertion: a rotation of Latos, Leake, Cueto, Cingrani and Arroyo (plus a significant offensive upgrade) going into next year "projects to no better than 3rd in the division?" Another poster said earlier this would be akin to "punting the season?"

It's not Monday night anymore, but C'MON MAN!

Benihana
09-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Counting on being able to find the exact right prospect or two who can upgrade the offense for 2014 is pretty iffy. Bailey probably wouldn't fetch Profar, but even if he would, it's debatable that his .639 OPS would upgrade the offense in 2014. I'm sure every other young player would be in the same boat.

IMO, the answer to the offense is to let Arroyo walk and keep Bailey while using that $4 or $5 Million difference between Arroyo's qualifying offer and Bailey's likely arb award to secure an affordable stopgap with a track record.

I'm all for adding young talent too, but the depth area is the bullpen IMO (especially if Marshall and maybe Broxton seem likely to be back in 2014). Chapman is the guy I'd deal for that young talent. He'd free enough money to allow a mid-range free agent or two to backfill in the pen more reasonably and maybe help get a better guy to stopgap CF while filling the holes with vets to allow the team to get the best young guys available rather than taking lesser ones who may fill those needs. Keeping Arroyo and dealing Bailey doesn't free money to do that (because Arroyo is likely to make $4 or $5 million more than Bailey would). Keeping the better arm for lesser bucks while dealing Chapman gives wiggle room. Subbing Arroyo for Bailey eats it up.

I also would have no problem trading Chapman this offseason, especially for a significant offensive upgrade.

I'm not sure who has more trade value between Bailey and Chapman at this point once you factor in their contract situations, but either way, I do believe the Reds should deal one of them for a significant offensive upgrade this offseason. And in either scenario, I would make Arroyo a qualifying offer and hope that he signs elsewhere so the Reds can get an additional first round pick (bringing the convo back full circle to the thread topic).

HokieRed
09-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Agreed, I think the OP makes a ridiculous assertion: a rotation of Latos, Leake, Cueto, Cingrani and Arroyo (plus a significant offensive upgrade) going into next year "projects to no better than 3rd in the division?" Another poster said earlier this would be akin to "punting the season?"

It's not Monday night anymore, but C'MON MAN!

Team's third in the division this year with Bailey so I don't know what's ridiculous about projecting them third next year without him. If Cueto can carry 200 innings next year, and if Cingrani can pitch 180 at the level he's done this year, and if there's no diminishment in Arroyo, then maybe next year the team could be better than third without Bailey. But what would be ridiculous--and the mark of bad management--is assuming all those things will be true. I simply think most of the trade Bailey talk generally undervalues his importance to the team. In addition to which, while Profar or Bogaerts would likely represent significantly better value to Reds over the long haul than Cozart, it's hard to project them as being so significantly better than Cozart in 2014 as to make up for not having Bailey.

Benihana
09-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Team's third in the division this year with Bailey so I don't know what's ridiculous about projecting them third next year without him. If Cueto can carry 200 innings next year, and if Cingrani can pitch 180 at the level he's done this year, and if there's no diminishment in Arroyo, then maybe next year the team could be better than third without Bailey.
Ok, but the Reds are also on par to win 90-95 games this year. If they can do that again next year, most of us will be pretty happy.

But what would be ridiculous--and the mark of bad management--is assuming all those things will be true. I simply think most of the trade Bailey talk generally undervalues his importance to the team. In addition to which, while Profar or Bogaerts would likely represent significantly better value to Reds over the long haul than Cozart, it's hard to project them as being so significantly better than Cozart in 2014 as to make up for not having Bailey.

Maybe that's right, but I don't think you're factoring in the risk of losing Bailey for nothing after next year. If you can get Profar or Bogaerts rather than nothing/a sandwich pick, I think you have to strongly consider that, no matter how big or small of an improvement those players would be above Cozart next year.

And I don't see why it's ridiculous to assume Cingrani can repeat this year's performance. He is 24 years old and his numbers at every stop in the minors were even better than he performed this year. Arroyo has been the paragon of consistency, and if one thinks that he'll fall off a cliff next year, than I would agree it would be foolish to pay him $14M next year. Cueto is a health risk - I agree, but that is a risk a small market team may have to take, especially while he is getting paid eight figures.

All that said, if the Reds can re-sign Latos and Bailey, I would do it and NOT trade Bailey. All of this is built on the (maybe incorrect) presumption that Bailey is bolting after next year.

HokieRed
09-17-2013, 02:45 PM
I am factoring in the risk of losing Bailey for little more than a sandwich pick the following year. In fact, I assume that is what is likely to happen because I don't think there's much of a chance he signs longer term with the Reds. I consider him one of the top ten pitchers in baseball and I think he'll be paid accordingly--and more than the Reds, given other requirements, will be able to pay. I probably just see our overall situation as being a little worse than you, Beni, do. Without Bailey I don't see us contending in 2014--unless, as I said in my previous post, we get a possible but somewhat unlikely combination of circumstances in the rotation. With Bailey, I think we have a chance, though I'd like to see the offense upgraded as much as you would--and I think there are maybe as many as six positions where an upgrade would be useful.

mth123
09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
For me, a chance to make a run at a championship in 2014 is more important than getting something for Bailey before he walks. He's a guy that you do make a qualifying offer to. By then, Stephenson should be ready to take his spot.

I really don't see this team getting anything that is sure to help the offense in 2014. I don't see a prospect out there who is a cinch to outhit Cozart's .660 OPS this year (see Profar's .639) or Frazier Low .700's (Nolan Arenado's .708, Jed Gyorko's .713 or Anthony Rendon's .719 an upgrade?). If the team is willing to reduce it's chances at 2014 (i.e. punt) they could probably get a couple longer term prospects for Bailey, but if Arroyo accepts (the reason you'd be dealing Bailey), there will be even less to spend to address the offense. There isn't a Will Myers out there who looks like a high probability offensive force to be had in a deal. Most of the top offensive prospects don't project to be ready in 2014.

I'm against any move that risks 2014 for the longer term and IMO, resigning Arroyo while dealing Bailey for kids does just that. Dealing Chapman doesn't do that IMO because he'd free enough cash to obtain a lower cost backfill to team with the depth from within and he'd free money for other needs.

Eating up the budget and being stuck with a .650ish AAA OPS patrolling CF is punting 2014 IMO. Arroyo on the roster at $14 Million means just that IMO.

Benihana
09-17-2013, 08:31 PM
For me, a chance to make a run at a championship in 2014 is more important than getting something for Bailey before he walks. He's a guy that you do make a qualifying offer to. By then, Stephenson should be ready to take his spot.

I really don't see this team getting anything that is sure to help the offense in 2014. I don't see a prospect out there who is a cinch to outhit Cozart's .660 OPS this year (see Profar's .639) or Frazier Low .700's (Nolan Arenado's .708, Jed Gyorko's .713 or Anthony Rendon's .719 an upgrade?). If the team is willing to reduce it's chances at 2014 (i.e. punt) they could probably get a couple longer term prospects for Bailey, but if Arroyo accepts (the reason you'd be dealing Bailey), there will be even less to spend to address the offense. There isn't a Will Myers out there who looks like a high probability offensive force to be had in a deal. Most of the top offensive prospects don't project to be ready in 2014.

I'm against any move that risks 2014 for the longer term and IMO, resigning Arroyo while dealing Bailey for kids does just that. Dealing Chapman doesn't do that IMO because he'd free enough cash to obtain a lower cost backfill to team with the depth from within and he'd free money for other needs.

Eating up the budget and being stuck with a .650ish AAA OPS patrolling CF is punting 2014 IMO. Arroyo on the roster at $14 Million means just that IMO.

How do you reconcile your last sentence/scenario with Walt's comments this week that they will make a real effort to re-sign Choo, fully realizing that it will take a LOT of money? In other words, how is the budget SO tight for 2014 that having Arroyo on the books for one more year at his current salary + $2 million will force you to "dump" Bailey, not improving CF, SS, or 3B, and "punt 2014"?

How will your last scenario possibly play out if/when they are trying to re-sign Choo?

mth123
09-17-2013, 08:42 PM
How do you reconcile your last sentence/scenario with Walt's comments this week that they will make a real effort to re-sign Choo, fully realizing that it will take a LOT of money? In other words, how is the budget SO tight for 2014 that having Arroyo on the books for one more year at his current salary + $2 million will force you to "dump" Bailey, not improving CF, SS, or 3B, and "punt 2014"?

How will your last scenario possibly play out if/when they are trying to re-sign Choo?

If the Reds let Choo, Bailey, Masset, Arredondo and other free agents walk and simply bring back the guys already in the organization, the payroll will be around the same amount in 2014 that it is in 2013. Raises and arb awards will eat up any of those savings. The Reds could conceivably sign Choo or some other player in the $10 to $15 Million range. But if they sub-Arroyo for Bailey, that $5 Million difference probably limits them to a $5 to $8 Million or so guy assuming a reasonable increase in salary and Ludwick's buy-out and Arroyo's deferred money are not figured in the spending. Add the Ludwick and Arroyo money and it would take a well over 10% increase in the budget.

REDREAD
09-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Team's third in the division this year with Bailey so I don't know what's ridiculous about projecting them third next year without him. .

Well, I agree that if no chances are made, we might be third in the central next year.

On the other hand, we got very little out of Cueto, Marshal, Broxton, and Ludwick this year due to injuries. Plus, there's hope some of the younger guys might get a little bit better/consistent (Hoover, Cozart, Mez, Frazier). There's some upside to this team next year, if they can stay healthy.

I guess another way to look at it: What if Homer got hurt in Spring Training and was out for the year? I think the team still would have a decent shot at the playoffs. I don't want to lose Homer, but it wouldn't necessarily be crippling.

Benihana
09-17-2013, 11:09 PM
If the Reds let Choo, Bailey, Masset, Arredondo and other free agents walk and simply bring back the guys already in the organization, the payroll will be around the same amount in 2014 that it is in 2013. Raises and arb awards will eat up any of those savings. The Reds could conceivably sign Choo or some other player in the $10 to $15 Million range. But if they sub-Arroyo for Bailey, that $5 Million difference probably limits them to a $5 to $8 Million or so guy assuming a reasonable increase in salary and Ludwick's buy-out and Arroyo's deferred money are not figured in the spending. Add the Ludwick and Arroyo money and it would take a well over 10% increase in the budget.

Don't follow you. If the Reds are really considering signing Choo to a big deal as Walt said they are this week, there is more room in the budget then you are accounting for.

The status quo/raise logic is old-world John Allen/pre 2012 speak.

kaldaniels
09-18-2013, 12:42 AM
You don't think a healthy Johnny Cueto could replicate/replace Bailey?

I do. (It would be close one way or another)

But I don't know if you roll the dice counting on Cueto all year.

mth123
09-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Don't follow you. If the Reds are really considering signing Choo to a big deal as Walt said they are this week, there is more room in the budget then you are accounting for.

The status quo/raise logic is old-world John Allen/pre 2012 speak.

I estimated some numbers.

If the Reds let everyone walk and bring back their own guys with reasonable estimates for the arb guys and replace Parra, Izturis and Choo with minimum guys, that would put them at around $111 Million. If they sign Choo at say $15 Million for 2014, that would put them at $126 Million. If Arroyo comes back at a qualifying offer of $14 Million and the Reds deal off the $9 Million or so that Bailey is likely to command, that would bump it to $131 Million. Ryan Ludwick has a $4.5 Million buy-out at the end of his deal, but Cots says it's deferred, so I'm not counting it, but it will cost something either in funding or the first payment. Arroyo will begin to collect payments on his deferral next year as well ($2.5 Million per year through 2021?) but I'm not sure how much of that is funded, so it isn't in the numbers.

I just don't think they go over $120 Million (which would be over a $15 Million bump when you consider the $3 Million that Cleveland is paying). I'm doubtful that Choo comes back. It would be nice to have him the next couple of years, but a big deal beyond that doesn't really thrill me. If they could get him back, I'm guessing they would need to dump a couple guys in the $2 to $3 Million range (Hanigan, Heisey maybe Ondrusek) and sub minimum guys in their place to stay around the $120 to $125 Million range. These numbers don't consider other guys who will be on the 40 man roster and some making major league money while guys are on the DL. Probably need to add a couple million for that and there aren't any in-season acquisitions included, though we haven't really seen that. I just think the risk of Arroyo accepting and adding a $14 Million salary on top of all that and forcing a Bailey deal and looking for other spots to cut is not something the team will risk. If the Payroll can go to the $135 to $140 Million range with all the money counted, I guess there is no problem, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

Benihana
09-18-2013, 10:45 AM
I estimated some numbers.

If the Reds let everyone walk and bring back their own guys with reasonable estimates for the arb guys and replace Parra, Izturis and Choo with minimum guys, that would put them at around $111 Million. If they sign Choo at say $15 Million for 2014, that would put them at $126 Million. If Arroyo comes back at a qualifying offer of $14 Million and the Reds deal off the $9 Million or so that Bailey is likely to command, that would bump it to $131 Million. Ryan Ludwick has a $4.5 Million buy-out at the end of his deal, but Cots says it's deferred, so I'm not counting it, but it will cost something either in funding or the first payment. Arroyo will begin to collect payments on his deferral next year as well ($2.5 Million per year through 2021?) but I'm not sure how much of that is funded, so it isn't in the numbers.

I just don't think they go over $120 Million (which would be over a $15 Million bump when you consider the $3 Million that Cleveland is paying). I'm doubtful that Choo comes back. It would be nice to have him the next couple of years, but a big deal beyond that doesn't really thrill me. If they could get him back, I'm guessing they would need to dump a couple guys in the $2 to $3 Million range (Hanigan, Heisey maybe Ondrusek) and sub minimum guys in their place to stay around the $120 to $125 Million range. These numbers don't consider other guys who will be on the 40 man roster and some making major league money while guys are on the DL. Probably need to add a couple million for that and there aren't any in-season acquisitions included, though we haven't really seen that. I just think the risk of Arroyo accepting and adding a $14 Million salary on top of all that and forcing a Bailey deal and looking for other spots to cut is not something the team will risk. If the Payroll can go to the $135 to $140 Million range with all the money counted, I guess there is no problem, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see how someone not affiliated with the organization can arbitrarily surmise what the payroll will be in future years with any kind of certainty. And the scenario I called you out on says Bronson, no Bailey, no Choo (Hamilton starting in CF). Don't see how that plays out if there is the extra payroll room to pursue Choo.

Personally, I would not sign Choo for more than 3 years, but I would extend qualifying offers to both Choo and Arroyo.

lollipopcurve
09-18-2013, 11:35 AM
the Reds are really considering signing Choo to a big deal as Walt said they are this week

Where/when did he say this? Is it in print?

PepperJack
09-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Where/when did he say this? Is it in print?

I think he is referencing this:http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/09/12/hamiltons-present-and-future/

Were hopeful and confident we can bring Choo back. Wed like to bring Choo back, Jocketty said. Well see what happens. Well make a good effort to bring him back. If not, then well give Billy the opportunity to see what he can do. Theres no question defensively that hed be able play there right now and handle base running and everything else. Its just a question with the offense. Wed have to be patient with him if hes out there every day and let him gradually grow into it. Ideally, Id like to work him in a little slower but well see what happens.

Benihana
09-18-2013, 12:26 PM
EDIT: Oops, thanks PJ

HokieRed
09-18-2013, 01:11 PM
On my reading, Walt's statement about re-signing Choo is so vague as to be meaningless. It says next to nothing beyond "we'll try."

AmarilloRed
09-18-2013, 01:16 PM
That said, the Reds will get a revenue increase in the form of a new TV contract in 2016, and the Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips extensions show that the club isn't afraid to spend big on key players.

Could it be this revenue that Walt is counting on to extend Choo? Say it is 120 million in 2014 and 2015, but is bumped up a bit after we get the revenue money in 2016.

bellhead
09-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Another dog in this hunt, Bob Castellini is in his 70's, he worth just north or south of a billion dollars. How much will he spend of his own dime to win before he dies?

lollipopcurve
09-18-2013, 03:51 PM
On my reading, Walt's statement about re-signing Choo is so vague as to be meaningless. It says next to nothing beyond "we'll try."

It's meaningless in the sense that he has no way of knowing what Choo will decide. But in my opinion the use of "hopeful" and especially "confident" says a lot. My guess is that a) Castellini has signaled the payroll will be there, and/or b) Choo has signalled he's interested in staying.

Benihana
09-18-2013, 04:25 PM
It's meaningless in the sense that he has no way of knowing what Choo will decide. But in my opinion the use of "hopeful" and especially "confident" says a lot. My guess is that a) Castellini has signaled the payroll will be there, and/or b) Choo has signalled he's interested in staying.

Agreed. And as far as A goes, that's my point in the argument above. No one should make concrete assumptions as to which CURRENT players we can or cannot afford next year, because no one really knows. My guess is if there is/was room to keep Choo, there is room to risk making Arroyo a qualifying offer and/or bringing in some other form of offensive help.

corkedbat
09-29-2013, 11:51 PM
The reds pick 21st:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/2014-mlb-draft-order.html

Benihana
09-29-2013, 11:55 PM
The reds pick 21st:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/2014-mlb-draft-order.html

Though with new qualifying/forfeiture rules, Reds could easily end up picking in the 17-20 range. Hopefully they'll have at least 1 and maybe 2 comp picks after the first round (33-40 range) as well.

Dan
09-30-2013, 07:48 AM
I know the Mets and Cubs are most likely suitors at the moment for Choo, but who would be good suitors for Arroyo (assuming he gets a qualifying offer as well)?

Benihana
09-30-2013, 08:07 AM
I know the Mets and Cubs are most likely suitors at the moment for Choo, but who would be good suitors for Arroyo (assuming he gets a qualifying offer as well)?

Mets, Cubs, Giants and Yankees.

If I understand things right, it shouldn't matter to the Reds if a team ha a "protected" pick or not- either way the Reds would get a comp pick after the first round, right?

klw
09-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Mets, Cubs, Giants and Yankees.

If I understand things right, it shouldn't matter to the Reds if a team ha a "protected" pick or not- either way the Reds would get a comp pick after the first round, right?

Angels will look for an innings guy too.

corkedbat
09-30-2013, 10:24 AM

There is reported interest from the Mets and the BoSox may have some interest at the backend of their rotation. If the Reds were to offer BA I believe he almost certainly jumps on it. I can't see anyone else offering Bronson $14 Million a year and having to give up a pick(s) for him would almost certainly depress his market.

About the only way I see the Reds making an offer would be if the Reds decide to deal a starter this offseason and they want to overpay Arroyo as a one-year bridge to Stephenson.

LoganBuck
09-30-2013, 02:15 PM
There is reported interest from the Mets and the BoSox may have some interest at the backend of their rotation. If the Reds were to offer BA I believe he almost certainly jumps on it. I can't see anyone else offering Bronson $14 Million a year and having to give up a pick(s) for him would almost certainly depress his market.

About the only way I see the Reds making an offer would be if the Reds decide to deal a starter this offseason and they want to overpay Arroyo as a one-year bridge to Stephenson.

Arroyo will get more than $14 million to sign a multiyear deal. This is most likely his last contract, he will likely make more on a multiyear than trying to go year to year.

REDREAD
09-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Arroyo will get more than $14 million to sign a multiyear deal. This is most likely his last contract, he will likely make more on a multiyear than trying to go year to year.

I agree.
Arroyo has pretty much said that the Reds need to offer him more than 1 year to come back. He pretty much implied this was his last chance to get a multiyear deal. In an interview, he even brought up "what if I break my collar bone in spring training next year and my career is over?"

There's no chance of Bronson accepting a one year arb deal, IMO.
He'll reject it and test the market.

RED VAN HOT
09-30-2013, 05:41 PM
I agree.
Arroyo has pretty much said that the Reds need to offer him more than 1 year to come back. He pretty much implied this was his last chance to get a multiyear deal. In an interview, he even brought up "what if I break my collar bone in spring training next year and my career is over?"

There's no chance of Bronson accepting a one year arb deal, IMO.
He'll reject it and test the market.

I agree as well. It sounds as if he wants to play at least three more years. I suspect that he wants to do a deal and finish out his career with a team. This is probably his last chance to call the shots.

I think he would be happy staying. And, I think the Reds will offer three. If, however, the Reds fall substantially short of what he believes his value to be, it seems improbable to me that he will accept the qualifying offer and go through the process again next year. Doing so would be moving into year at a time contract territory.

RedlegJake
10-01-2013, 05:14 PM

I think you are dead wrong. He will almost certainly reject it. He has stated over and over and over again he wants a multi year deal. He has ten days fom the end of the series to accept or reject a qualifying offer. He cannot weigh other offers in that time frame at all. He almost HAS to reject the qualifying offer to negotiate with anyone else. He WILL reject the offer. You are also wrong that he won't get close to that amount in a multi year deal. Looked at the going rate for a 200 inning 4 era pitcher who throws without arm strain? Even a mid rotation type guy? He'll get three years and close to 14mil per year from someone. And what is the worse thing that happens if he accepts? You end up with a one year bridge to Stephenson as stated. 1 year. Big deal.

mth123
10-01-2013, 08:08 PM
I think you are dead wrong. He will almost certainly reject it. He has stated over and over and over again he wants a multi year deal. He has ten days fom the end of the series to accept or reject a qualifying offer. He cannot weigh other offers in that time frame at all. He almost HAS to reject the qualifying offer to negotiate with anyone else. He WILL reject the offer. You are also wrong that he won't get close to that amount in a multi year deal. Looked at the going rate for a 200 inning 4 era pitcher who throws without arm strain? Even a mid rotation type guy? He'll get three years and close to 14mil per year from someone. And what is the worse thing that happens if he accepts? You end up with a one year bridge to Stephenson as stated. 1 year. Big deal.

Not sure I agree Jake. Arroyo is 37. If the Reds make a qualifying offer, I'd guess the most he'd get is two years at $16 to $20 Million total. Even that is a pretty big commitment to a 37 y/o. If the Reds offer Arroyo, he could probably accept, take his $14 Million and try again next year and even if he settles for $6 to $8 Million on another one year deal, he'd come out ahead.

If the Reds don't offer, Arroyo's market probably expands a bit and he might do better.

From the Reds standpoint, If he accepts a qualifying offer, I think there is more downside than you're assuming as well. That's $14 Million against the budget that the Reds are not counting on. It likely means some one else has to go for budgetary reasons (which means established players making money won't be coming in return). It's likely a downgrade for the rotation in 2014 if say the team is forced to deal Bailey or even Leake to make room for Arroyo's innings and contract. They may get a couple decent pieces for down the road, but it probably weakens them for 2014. Since the Cardinals are re-tooling before our eyes, the Pirates are young and improving and the Cubs have a top farm system, 2014 may be the last best chance and I'd rather keep Bailey or Leake as opposed to Arroyo in the rotation.

reds44
10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Another dog in this hunt, Bob Castellini is in his 70's, he worth just north or south of a billion dollars. How much will he spend of his own dime to win before he dies?
Jesus lol

bellhead
10-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Jesus lol

Honest question, your a billionaire, you are not taking your money with you.

Gallen5862
10-11-2013, 05:22 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

**Note: In the 2014 Draft, the first 11 picks will be protected instead of the first 10, as the Blue Jays will receive the 11th pick as compensation for failure to sign 2013 first-rounder Phil Bickford.

PepperJack
10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-draft-top-50-october-2013-carlos-rodon/

BA's top 50.

Maybe we could keep #30 wearing the same hat?

mdccclxix
10-18-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-draft-top-50-october-2013-carlos-rodon/

BA's top 50.

Maybe we could keep #30 wearing the same hat?

Barely a SS or CF to be found on that list! Must've been 40 pitchers, 8 1b/3b types, 1 catcher and 1 SS.

lollipopcurve
10-18-2013, 10:24 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...-carlos-rodon/

BA's top 50.

Supposedly a strong crop. Good year to have an extra pick.

Kc61
10-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Supposedly a strong crop. Good year to have an extra pick.

Get some veteran hitters. Draft pitchers. Looks like a good group of pitchers.

RED VAN HOT
10-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Get some veteran hitters. Draft pitchers. Looks like a good group of pitchers.

I agree with this. I believe that Boston beat Detroit because their veteran hitters were able to run up the pitch count on Detroit's superior starters and get into their relatively weaker pen. BTW, this won't work against the Cardinals because they have a strong, deep pen.

PepperJack
11-22-2013, 12:40 AM
For those that like to get familiar with lots of prospects before the draft, here is a list of some very early mock drafts. They will all be updated from time to time, and there will be lots of changes, but it can be a great way to learn the prospects, and develop favorites.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm

RedTeamGo!
11-22-2013, 08:38 AM
21. Cincinnati Reds Kyle Schwarber, C/1B, Indiana

Maybe the best power bat in college, the 6-0, 230-pound left-hander also has a great approach at the plate and should hit for a high average at the next level. His ability to remain behind the plate is still up for debate, but he wants to stay there and has been working hard on his defense. Over 61 games as a sophomore, he hit .366/.456/.647 with 10 doubles, 18 home runs and drew 42 walks to just 37 strikeouts. He then hit .308/.396/.436 over 21 games for the Collegiate National Team with 11 walks. We all saw the premium put on college bats in this years draft, and Schwarber should benefit from that next year.

Read more at http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2014-mlb-draft-mock-draft-3-0-top-31-picks/39952/2#5x2QgQ3lzFeEeplE.99

camisadelgolf
11-22-2013, 01:36 PM
I take it Schwarber is actually right-handed since he's trying to make it as a catcher. I'm thinking he throws right and bats left.

Benihana
11-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Schwarber is not staying at catcher, unfortunately.

RedlegJake
11-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Schwarber may have the tools to stay behind the plate but his likely future is at first base. His college coach believes he can play left field at the next level, at least in the early years of his career. His body type (stocky, muscular) may limit him to first or perhaps catcher. He can hit - will take a walk, good contact skills, nice power. Some scouts think his bat is not quite good enough at first base, though, to be a first rounder. Others seem high on his hitting and think wherever he plays he will hit well. Had a solid Cape Cod. Catching the guy is a no doubt first rounder. Strength and power are real but could lack of athleticism make him similar to Winker? If I were an AL team I'd jump on him because he could always fall back to being a terrific DH if first base was blocked.

Gallen5862
11-23-2013, 06:25 PM
The 13 players who were given qualifying offers. Their former teams will be listed first and new teams last.

Carlos Beltran, Cardinals
Robinson Cano, Yankees
Shin-Soo Choo, Reds
Nelson Cruz, Rangers
Stephen Drew, Red Sox
Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox to Yankees
Curtis Granderson, Yankees
Ubaldo Jimenez, Indians
Hiroki Kuroda, Yankees
Brian McCann, Braves to Yankees
Kendrys Morales, Mariners
Mike Napoli, Red Sox
Ervin Santana, Royals

The Yankees will forfeit their first round draft pick #18 overall. The Braves will receive a First Round Compensation Pick.

Gallen5862
11-23-2013, 09:04 PM

The Braves remained in discussions with McCann's agent, B.B. Abbott, as recently as Friday, David O'Brien of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes. However, they weren't invovled in the multi-year bidding for the catcher. The Braves will receive a draft pick after the first round becuase of the signing, O'Brien notes.

LoganBuck
11-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Schwarber may have the tools to stay behind the plate but his likely future is at first base. His college coach believes he can play left field at the next level, at least in the early years of his career. His body type (stocky, muscular) may limit him to first or perhaps catcher. He can hit - will take a walk, good contact skills, nice power. Some scouts think his bat is not quite good enough at first base, though, to be a first rounder. Others seem high on his hitting and think wherever he plays he will hit well. Had a solid Cape Cod. Catching the guy is a no doubt first rounder. Strength and power are real but could lack of athleticism make him similar to Winker? If I were an AL team I'd jump on him because he could always fall back to being a terrific DH if first base was blocked.

Winker is more athletic than this kind of guy. People seem to misunderstand what Winker is. Think Ryan Ludwick now, or Allen Craig. He won't excite you from a speed or athleticism perspective, but he isn't an clumsy mess out there. Yonder Alonso and Schwarber may be more comparable.

M2
11-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Justus Sheffield looks interesting - prep LHP with three plus pitches. If his power continues to come along, Max Pentecost could be a sweet pick.

redsmetz
11-25-2013, 06:34 PM
If his power continues to come along, Max Pentecost could be a sweet pick.

I can just feel the power! Let the people say Amen!

[it'll just write itself - really somebody needs to be all over getting this guy]

mdccclxix
11-25-2013, 10:45 PM
The 13 players who were given qualifying offers. Their former teams will be listed first and new teams last.

Robinson Cano, Yankees
Shin-Soo Choo, Reds
Nelson Cruz, Rangers
Stephen Drew, Red Sox
Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox
Ubaldo Jimenez, Indians
Hiroki Kuroda, Yankees
Mike Napoli, Red Sox
Ervin Santana, Royals

The Yankees will forfeit their first round draft pick #18 overall. The Braves will receive a First Round Compensation Pick.

That should move the Reds from 21 to 20, correct?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131111&content_id=63845866&c_id=mlb

mdccclxix
11-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Comp Round A**
31. Mariners (Morales)
32. Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda)
33. Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda)
34. Royals (Santana)
35. Reds (Choo)
36. Rangers (Cruz)
37. Indians (Jimenez)
38. Braves (McCann)
39. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli)
40. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli)
41. Red Sox (Drew/Ellsbury/Napoli)

Reds also are picking 36th as of right now if they lose out on Choo.

mth123
11-25-2013, 10:51 PM
If Kuroda signs with a team in Japan, do the Yanks still get a pick?

I don't think so, but not really sure.

M2
11-26-2013, 01:00 PM
That should move the Reds from 21 to 20, correct?

Correct. There's a decent chance the Reds could be picking in the late teens. And that #36 pick could creep close to #30. An interesting question for the Reds is, if they lose Choo, would it make sense for them to burn that 1st rounder to sign someone (e.g. Granderson)? Technically it would be like moving back ~15 picks in order to pick up veteran help in the OF.

mdccclxix
11-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Correct. There's a decent chance the Reds could be picking in the late teens. And that #36 pick could creep close to #30. An interesting question for the Reds is, if they lose Choo, would it make sense for them to burn that 1st rounder to sign someone (e.g. Granderson)? Technically it would be like moving back ~15 picks in order to pick up veteran help in the OF.

I do like the chance at getting Granderson and this would be a year I would consider losing a pick. It's a pitching strong draft and the Reds are in a way quite pitching strong from top to bottom as it is. Granderson, at a 4 year deal, would come off the books in time for Winker, Ervin, Yorman, and Hamilton to all be 24-27 years old. Prior to that in years 3 and 4 (2016 and 2017) he would also be platoonable with whoever is knocking on the door. I love the idea of Yorman's splits complimenting Granderson, for example. If Hamilton nose dives, we have OF depth as well. He's an energy guy and very well liked around baseball. With another comp pick coming in 2015, and some measure of return this year for Phillips, Hanigan and maybe Heisey, the Reds will still be in good shape organizationally. That's my Granderson campaign platform.

mdccclxix
11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
1. Astros 17. Orioles
2. Marlins 18. Yankees
3. White Sox 19. Royals
4. Cubs 20. Nationals
5. Twins 21. Reds
6. Mariners 22. Rangers
7. Phillies 23. Rays
8. Rockies 24. Indians
9. Blue Jays 25. Dodgers
10. Mets 26. Tigers
11. Blue Jays* 27. Pirates
12. Brewers 28. Athletics
13. Padres 29. Braves
14. Giants 30. Red Sox
15. Angels 31. Cardinals
16. D-backs

I don't see many teams from 12 through 20 that would look to sign a qualified FA, at least not per the rumor mill right now, which is early. But if the Yanks resign Cano and Kuroda, the Reds will pick 20th and 34th. If they lose their first round pick as well in this scenario they would drop to 33rd once their own pick was pulled.

M2
11-26-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't see many teams from 12 through 20 that would look to sign a qualified FA, at least not per the rumor mill right now, which is early.

The Giants, Angels, Orioles and Nats are the mostly likely suspects. I could see one of those teams splurging for Jimenez. I could also see where the Royals pull a shock move for Ellsbury - not that I think it's highly likely, but that's a team that might feel some urgency.

Rojo
11-26-2013, 04:51 PM
That's my Granderson campaign platform.

I'm sold.

Benihana
11-26-2013, 09:47 PM
How about Beltran on a 2 year deal as an alternative to Granderson on a 4 in the same philosophy as above?

mdccclxix
11-26-2013, 10:01 PM
How about Beltran on a 2 year deal as an alternative to Granderson on a 4 in the same philosophy as above?

Not bad either as long as Bruce moves to cf and provides good d

Gallen5862
12-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury

By Zach Links [December 3 at 8:41pm CST]

8:41pm: Ellsbury's deal is worth $153MM over seven years, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (on Twitter). That tops Carl Crawford's deal by $12MM.

7:31pm: The Yankees have agreed to sign Jacoby Ellsbury, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (via Twitter). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first reported that the two sides were closing in on a seven-year pact. It is believed the deal will top Carl Crawford's $142MM, seven-year deal with one estimate pegging the deal at about $150MM, according to Heyman.

Gallen5862
12-03-2013, 08:53 PM

Robinson Cano, Yankees to Mariners
Shin-Soo Choo, Reds
Nelson Cruz, Rangers
Stephen Drew, Red Sox
Ubaldo Jimenez, Indians
Hiroki Kuroda, Yankees to Yankees
Mike Napoli, Red Sox
Ervin Santana, Royals

Updated with Yankees signing Jacoby Ellsbury. The Red Sox will receive a First Round Compensation Pick.

PepperJack
12-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Article from Callis on next year's draft.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/led-by-north-carolina-states-carlos-rodon-mlbcoms-ranking-of-top-50-draft-prospects-revealed?ymd=20131204&content_id=64354604&vkey=news_cin

The talent in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft will be more abundant than it was in 2012 and '13. There's a clear favorite for the No. 1 overall pick, something that hasn't recently existed, and there will be more depth than in any Draft since 2011.

"Last year was one of the weakest Drafts I can remember," a scouting director with a National League team said. "Last year was really weak in high school pitching, and this year there's some really good-looking high school pitchers. Last year was the weakest year I've ever seen in shortstops, and this year there are shortstops. It's better in almost everything."

Pitchers stand out in the 2014 Draft class, especially the right-handers. If anyone is going to knock Rodon out of the top spot, it likely will be East Carolina righty Jeff Hoffman, who devastated Cape Cod League hitters with his mid-90s fastball and his curveball the past two summers. Other college right-handers of note include Vanderbilt's Tyler Beede (a Blue Jays unsigned first-round pick out of high school in 2011), Louisiana State's Aaron Nola, Nevada-Las Vegas' Erick Fedde, Florida State's Luke Weaver and San Diego State's Michael Cederoth.

A half-dozen or more high school right-handers could factor into the first round, starting with Tyler Kolek of Shepherd High School in Texas and Touki Toussaint of Christian Academy in Coral Springs, Fla. Both need polish, but Kolek already hits 99 mph and Toussaint has the best fastball/curveball combination among prepsters. Luis Ortiz (Sanger High, Calif.), Grant Holmes (Conway High, S.C.) and Dylan Cease (Milton, Ga.) all can reach 97 mph with their heaters, while Cobi Johnson (Mitchell High in Trinity, Fla.) is more advanced than most high schoolers.

If it's not Turner, the first position player drafted could be Rancho Bernardo (Calif.) High catcher Alex Jackson or Clovis (Calif.) High shortstop Jacob Gatewood. Jackson offers plus right-handed power along with hitting ability and arm strength. Gatewood has the best raw power in the Draft, though there are questions about his bat and his size likely will dictate a move to third base.

In addition to Jackson and Gatewood, several other power hitters could slug their way into the first round. Roberson High (Asheville, N.C.) outfielder Braxton Davidson hit a 500-foot homer at the Tournament of Stars this summer. Indiana catcher Kyle Schwarber, Virginia outfielder Derek Fisher, Oregon State outfielder Michael Conforto and Cal State-Fullerton third baseman Matt Chapman have established themselves as bona fides at top college programs.

Want athletes? There will be plenty of those available, too.

Gainesville (Ga.) High outfielder Michael Gettys has the best all-around tools in this Draft, and Olympia High's (Orlando, Fla.) Nick Gordon is a pure shortstop with speed and a nice left-handed swing -- and they both throw in the low 90s off the mound. San Francisco's Bradley Zimmer and Lee's Summit (Mo.) West High's Monte Harrison are two more outfielders with all-around tools.

PepperJack
12-05-2013, 12:36 AM
MLB.com's top 50 draft prospects.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=draft

With the way prospects fluctuate, the list will change. But this does give depth, and write ups on each prospect on their list.

RedlegJake
12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Aaron Nola would fit the Reds Leake/Lively/Holmberg mold. Maybe with a tad more upside than those guys (not by much) but also a very safe projection, which the Reds seem to like.

Gallen5862
12-06-2013, 11:02 AM

Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano

By Steve Adams [December 6 at 9:57am CST]

The Mariners and Robinson Cano are in agreement on a 10-year, $240MM contract, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link).

Reports from earlier today indicated that talks between Cano and the Mariners had crumbled after Jay-Z suddenly upped his demands back to $252MM when the Mariners were prepared to offer $225MM over nine years. The two sides appear to have reached a middle ground, with Cano's camp dropping by $12MM or so and the Mariners agreeing to add a tenth season at $15MM.

Gallen5862
12-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda

By Steve Adams [December 6 at 9:44am CST]

The Yankees and Hiroki Kuroda finalized a one-year, $16MM contract last night that will allow the right-hander to earn up to $500K worth of incentives, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter). Kuroda, a client of Octagon's Steve Hilliard, will earn $250K for reaching the 190-inning and 210-inning milestones, according to Sherman.

Kuroda will turn 39 years old in Februaryand was reported to be weighing a return to Japan and a return to a Southern California team in order to be closer to his family, who currently reside in that area due to Kuroda's days with the Dodgers. Instead, Kuroda will return to New York for a third season. Over the past two years, Kuroda has posted a 3.31 ERA with 6.8 K/9 and 2.0 BB/9 in 421 innings in Yankee pinstripes. Kuroda earned $15MM in 2013, so a $16MM salary represents a slight raise.

Gallen5862
12-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Carlos Beltran, Cardinals to Yankees
Robinson Cano, Yankees to Mariners
Shin-Soo Choo, Reds to Rangers
Nelson Cruz, Rangers
Stephen Drew, Red Sox
Curtis Granderson, Yankees to Mets
Ubaldo Jimenez, Indians
Hiroki Kuroda, Yankees to Yankees
Mike Napoli, Red Sox to Red Sox
Ervin Santana, Royals

Updated with the Yankees resigning Hiroki Kuroda. That removes a comp pick that would have gone to the Yankees. The Mariners first round pick was protected so they lose a second round pick for signing Robinson Cano. The Yankees lost thei first round and a first round comp pick for Cano. This is because the Yankees signed Mccann and Ellsbury. The Yankees lost the first round comp pick (for losing Granderson to the Mets) because they signed Carlos Beltran from the Cardinals. The Mets first round pick was protected so they lose their second rond pick. Redsox resign Mike Napoli that removes a comp pick.The Cardinals get a first round comp pick for losing Carlos Beltran.

Gallen5862
12-06-2013, 12:17 PM
1. Astros
2. Marlins
3. White Sox
4. Cubs s
5. Twins
6. Mariners
7. Phillies
8. Rockies
9. Blue Jays
10. Mets
11. Blue Jays*
12. Brewers
13. Padres
14. Giants
15. Angels
16. D-backs
17. Orioles
18. Royals
19. Nationals
20. Reds
21. Rangers
22. Rays
23. Indians
24. Dodgers
25. Tigers
26. Pirates
27. Athletics
28. Braves
29. Red Sox
30. Cardinals

Comp Round A**
31. Mariners (Morales)
32. Royals (Santana)
33. Reds (Choo)
34. Rangers (Cruz)
35. Indians (Jimenez)
36. Braves (McCann)
37. Red Sox (Ellsbury)
38. Red Sox (Drew)

mdccclxix
12-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Do Mariners lose their Comp A pick for Cano or do they lose their 2nd round pick? I thought it would be the Comp A pick.

Gallen5862
12-06-2013, 03:36 PM
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20131204-updating-the-2014-mlb-draft-order.ece

For every qualifying-offer free agent who signs with a new team, the draft will be shortened by one selection -- and everyone else will move up one spot accordingly.

The Yankees have signed Ellsbury and McCann, and so they've forfeited their first- and second-round draft picks next June. Which player caused them to forfeit which pick doesn't matter. The Red Sox and the Atlanta Braves each receive a compensatory pick at the end of the first round, which now has been shortened by one pick because New York's No. 18 selection has vanished. Atlanta's pick is ahead of Boston's pick in the supplemental first round for the same reason Atlanta is picking ahead of Boston in all of the other rounds -- the Braves won 96 games last season, the Red Sox 97.

(One clarification on the rules: If Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson or Hiroki Kuroda sign elsewhere, the Yankees would lose their first-round pick plus a compensatory pick for Ellsbury and McCann, not their first- and second-round picks. A team forfeits its highest available selection for signing a qualifying-offer free agent -- except if that selection is (a) in the top 10; or (b) compensation for failing to sign a draft pick a year ago, such as is the case for Toronto at No. 11 overall this year.)

Here's an updated look at the first round of next June's draft:
1. Astros
2. Marlins
3. White Sox
4. Cubs
5. Twins
6. Mariners
7. Phillies
8. Rockies
9. Blue Jays
10. Mets
11. Blue Jays (for failing to sign 2013 No. 10 pick Phil Bickford)
12. Brewers
13. Padres
14. Giants
15. Angels
16. Diamondbacks
17. Orioles
18. Royals
19. Nationals
20. Reds
21. Rangers
22. Rays
23. Indians
24. Dodgers
25. Tigers
26. Pirates
27. Athletics
28. Braves
29. Red Sox
30. Cardinals
Mariners (Kendrys Morales)
Royals (Ervin Santana)
Reds (Shin-Soo Choo)
Rangers (Nelson Cruz)
Indians (Ubaldo Jimenez)
31. Braves (Brian McCann)
32. Red Sox (Jacoby Ellsbury)
Red Sox (Stephen Drewi)
Cardinals (Carlos Beltran)

mdccclxix
12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
So the M's do lose the Morales pick then according to the article above.

Benihana
12-06-2013, 04:20 PM
So if Choo signs elsewhere, the Reds would have the third pick of the comp round after the Yankees and Royals? Worst case the 33rd pick best case could be in the top 30?

mdccclxix
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
That's correct, They could be picking 18-20 and 28-33.

M2
12-06-2013, 05:05 PM
The Reds' 2nd round pick is also up to #58 at the moment and it's likely to land at #51 (though it could go lower dependent on whether the Yankees buy more free agents).

Gallen5862
12-06-2013, 08:40 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/ask-ba-whats-the-updated-draft-order/

So while we wait for further free agent signings, the draft order currently looks like this, assuming Granderson signs with the Mets as is being reported widely:

First Round

1. Houston Astros

2. Miami Marlins

3. Chicago White Sox

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Seattle Mariners

7. Philadelphia Phillies

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Toronto Blue Jays

10. New York Mets

11. Toronto Blue Jays (compensation for failure to sign Phil Bickford in ‘13 draft)

12. Milwaukee Brewers

13. San Diego Padres

14. San Francisco Giants

15. Los Angeles Angels

16. Arizona Diamondbacks

17. Baltimore Orioles

X. New York Yankees (forfeited for signing Brian McCann)

18. Kansas City Royals

19. Washington Nationals

20. Cincinnati Reds

21. Texas Rangers

22. Tampa Bay Rays

23. Cleveland Indians

24. Los Angeles Dodgers

25. Detroit Tigers

26. Pittsburgh Pirates

27. Oakland Athletics

28. Atlanta Braves

29. Boston Red Sox

30. St. Louis Cardinals

Compensatory Round

*Y. Seattle Mariners (Kendry Morales compensation)

Z. New York Yankees (for losing Robinson Cano)

ZZ. New York Yankees (for losing Curtis Granderson)

*31. Kansas City Royals (Ervin Santana)

*32. Cincinnati Reds (Shin-Soo Choo)

*33. Texas Rangers (Nelson Cruz)

34. Miami Marlins (compensation for failure to sign Matt Krook in ‘13 draft)

*35. Cleveland Indians (Ubaldo Jimenez)

36. Atlanta Braves (awarded for losing Brian McCann)

37. Boston Red Sox (awarded for losing Jacoby Ellsbury)

*38. Boston Red Sox (Stephen Drew)

*39. St. Louis Cardinals (awarded for losing Carlos Beltran)

X Lost for signing free agent Brian McCann

Y Lost for signing free agent Robinson Cano, will revert to second-round pick if Morales resigns with Mariners

Z Lost for signing free agent Jacoby Ellsbury

ZZ Lost for signing free agent Carlos Beltran

*All picks marked with an asterisk are contingent on the free agent signing with another team.

The Mets will lose their second-round pick for signing Granderson, as their first-round pick is protected as a top 10 selection.

There are many problems with the new collective bargaining agreement, but the free-agent compensation is one way that the new system is significantly better than the old rules. Under the old rules, teams lost one pick for signing a free agent while gaining two. Now it’s a one-for-one transaction. Sign a compensatory free agent? Lose a pick. Lose a compensatory free agent? Gain a pick.

Benihana
12-06-2013, 08:47 PM
The Reds' 2nd round pick is also up to #58 at the moment and it's likely to land at #51 (though it could go lower dependent on whether the Yankees buy more free agents).

Three picks in the top 50 in this draft could go a long way.

Gallen5862
12-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli

By Mark Polishuk [December 6 at 8:05pm CST]

The Red Sox have agreed to terms with Mike Napoli, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports (Twitter link). The contract is a two-year deal worth $32MM, according to CSNNE.com's Sean McAdam (via Twitter). The slugger confirmed his return on his own Twitter feed, saying "The beard is coming back to Boston!!!"

Earlier today, Rosenthal reported that Napoli had received an offer another club but his preference was to remain in Boston. The Marlins, Rangers, and Mariners were all rumored to be interested in Napoli's services, and Texas was believed to have made Napoli a larger offer, Bradford and Alex Speier report, but Napoli preferred to remain with the Sox and accepted their smaller deal.

Gallen5862
12-06-2013, 10:04 PM

Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran

By Mark Polishuk [December 6 at 8:52pm CST]

The Yankees have agreed with Carlos Beltran on a three-year deal, Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports (Twitter link). The contract is worth $45MM, tweets Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports. Beltran is represented by Dan Lozano of the MVP Sports Group.

Gallen5862
12-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Qualifying Offer And Draft Pick Compensation Update

By Jeff Todd [December 7 at 12:50pm CST]

Unsurprisingly, the Yankees and Red Sox are at the center of the draft pick movement relating to players who declined qualifying offers. After all, they made six of this year's thirteen QOs, all of which were declined. (Click here for a refresher on how things work, courtesy of former MLBTR writer Ben Nicholson-Smith.)

Yesterday, we saw quite a few moves that had draft pick implications. The Yanks added Hiroki Kuroda and Carlos Beltran. Meanwhile, the club saw outgoing free agents Robinson Cano and Curtis Granderson sign with the Mariners and Mets, respectively. Finally, Boston agreed to terms with Mike Napoli.

With Kuroda and Napoli rejoining their former clubs, their signings will not result in any draft pick changes. But the Yankees' other signings, in concert with their earlier deals with Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann, mean that the team stands to lose one pick in the aggregate: New York will give up its first round pick while sacrificing the two compensatory picks it would otherwise have received for the departure of Cano and Granderson.

As things stand, the Mariners and Mets also stand to sacrifice a pick (both of which will be second-rounders), while the Cardinals, Red Sox, and Braves are each in line to gain a compensatory selection. The remaining free agents that are tied to compensation are Shin-Soo Choo, Nelson Cruz, Stephen Drew, Ubaldo Jimenez, Kendrys Morales, and Ervin Santana.

PepperJack
12-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Perhaps someone to keep an eye on?

https://twitter.com/parkerjoe49

Just had my first in-home meeting with the Reds....pretty neat experience

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/parker-joe-robinson/8AIyyPTpEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

http://www.studentsports.com/blog/2013/10/08/hot-seat-parker-joe-robinson/

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=352054

Gallen5862
12-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Rangers Sign Shin-Soo Choo
By Jeff Todd [December 21 at 11:13am CST]
TODAY, 11:34am: Choo's deal includes no opt-outs or options, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. It does contain a limited no-trade clause, however.

TODAY, 11:32am: Choo's deal is worth $130MM, tweets Heyman. Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News first reported (via Twitter) that the deal was expected to land in that range.

TODAY, 11:13am: Outfielder Shin-Soo Choo has reached agreement with the Rangers on a seven-year deal for $130MM, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter). Choo, 31, is a client of the Boras Corporation.

Gallen5862
12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/ask-ba-whats-the-updated-draft-order/

So while we wait for further free agent signings, the draft order currently looks like this, assuming Granderson signs with the Mets as is being reported widely:

First Round

1. Houston Astros

2. Miami Marlins

3. Chicago White Sox

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Seattle Mariners

7. Philadelphia Phillies

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Toronto Blue Jays

10. New York Mets

11. Toronto Blue Jays (compensation for failure to sign Phil Bickford in ‘13 draft)

12. Milwaukee Brewers

13. San Diego Padres

14. San Francisco Giants

15. Los Angeles Angels

16. Arizona Diamondbacks

x Baltimore Orioles (forfeited for signing Ubaldo Jimenez)

17. Kansas City Royals

18. Washington Nationals

19. Cincinnati Reds

x. Texas Rangers (forfeited for signing Shin-Soo Choo)

20. Tampa Bay Rays

21. Cleveland Indians

22. Los Angeles Dodgers

23. Detroit Tigers

24. Pittsburgh Pirates

25. Oakland Athletics

26. Atlanta Braves

27. Boston Red Sox

28. St. Louis Cardinals

Compensatory Round

*29. Kansas City Royals (Ervin Santana)

*30. Cincinnati Reds (awarded for losing Shin-Soo Choo)

*31. Texas Rangers (Nelson Cruz)

*32. Miami Marlins (compensation for failure to sign Matt Krook in ‘13 draft)

*33. Cleveland Indians (awarded for losing Ubaldo Jimenez)

34. Atlanta Braves (awarded for losing Brian McCann)

35. Boston Red Sox (awarded for losing Jacoby Ellsbury)

*36. Boston Red Sox (Stephen Drew)

*37. St. Louis Cardinals (awarded for losing Carlos Beltran)

Y Lost for signing free agent Robinson Cano, will revert to second-round pick if Morales resigns with Mariners

*All picks marked with an asterisk are contingent on the free agent signing with another team.

The Mets will lose their second-round pick for signing Granderson, as their first-round pick is protected as a top 10 selection.

There are many problems with the new collective bargaining agreement, but the free-agent compensation is one way that the new system is significantly better than the old rules. Under the old rules, teams lost one pick for signing a free agent while gaining two. Now it’s a one-for-one transaction. Sign a compensatory free agent? Lose a pick. Lose a compensatory free agent? Gain a pick.

Updated with Texas Rangers losing their First round pick #21 for signing Shin-Soo Choo.

Benihana
12-21-2013, 03:40 PM
My updated end of the year wish list with the Reds now having two picks in the top thirty (one).

1. Alex Jackson C
2. Jacob Gatewood 3B
3. Trea Turner SS
4. Justus Sheffield LHP
5. Touki Toussaint RHP
6. Max Pentecost C
7. Ti'quan Forbes SS
8. Brady Aiken LHP
9. Sean Newcomb LHP
10. Aaron Nola RHP

RedlegJake
12-21-2013, 07:06 PM
My updated end of the year wish list with the Reds now having two picks in the top thirty (one).

1. Alex Jackson C
2. Jacob Gatewood 3B
3. Trea Turner SS
4. Justus Sheffield LHP
5. Touki Toussaint RHP
6. Max Pentecost C
7. Ti'quan Forbes SS
8. Brady Aiken LHP
9. Sean Newcomb LHP
10. Aaron Nola RHP

I'd be great with Turner or Forbes, then Nola if they'd fall

corkedbat
12-22-2013, 02:18 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article//led-by-north-carolina-states-carlos-rodon-mlbcoms-ranking-of-top-50-draft-prospects-revealed?ymd=20131204&content_id=64354604

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=draft

Gallen5862
01-21-2014, 05:45 PM
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/1/20/5329370/very-early-2014-mlb-mock-draft

Cincinnati Reds- Sean Newcomb-LHP- While he hasn’t faced the best competition in collegiate baseball, he still has formidable raw stuff with a fastball that can reach 97 and a plus slider.

Jamz
01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Right now I'm kind of hoping for Nick Gordon. Better hit tool than his brother with plus defence and speed. Wouldn't mind having a top end SS prospect in the system like him moving forward given how strong our pitching already is and with Stephenson looking amazing.

RED VAN HOT
01-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Right now I'm kind of hoping for Nick Gordon. Better hit tool than his brother with plus defence and speed. Wouldn't mind having a top end SS prospect in the system like him moving forward given how strong our pitching already is and with Stephenson looking amazing.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/12/10/5181652/2014-mlb-draft-profile-nick-gordon-ss-windermere-fl-high-school

Enough questions to make me think he would be a reach at #20. Would be a good sandwich pick. Reds surely need to add some SS prospects.

Benihana
01-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Agree with wanting help at SS, but I'd want Trea Turner (and maybe even Ti'quan Forbes) over Gordon at this point.

Turner may not fall to 20, though it's still early. Forbes and Gordon are probably guys to hope fall to the sandwich round.

M2
01-23-2014, 03:13 PM
I want Touki Toissaint just for his name.

Jamz
01-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Agree with wanting help at SS, but I'd want Trea Turner (and maybe even Ti'quan Forbes) over Gordon at this point.

Turner may not fall to 20, though it's still early. Forbes and Gordon are probably guys to hope fall to the sandwich round.

I think everyone would want Turner over Gordon, but I don't think they have dissimilar upsides. Heck, Gordon could easily end up the better player. He's like a bigger, stronger version of his brother with a better bat. I wouldn't be surprised if they're both gone by 20, but otherwise I'd hope that Cinci is willing to take a gamble on one. I'm pretty confident Gordon will be a good shortstop in the majors.

Dan
01-28-2014, 10:21 AM
I want Touki Toissaint just for his name.

You really must like torturing George Grande the way he'd torture that name.

Jamz
02-06-2014, 11:22 AM
I really wish it were possible to trade up in the MLB draft like in every other professional sports league. I would really love for Cincinnati to be able to grab Turner or Gordon to have an elite SS prospect in the system.

Oh well. Any other updates or thoughts on what the Reds may be targeting this year?

Gallen5862
02-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Mariners In Talks With Cruz, Willing To Offer Multiple Years

By Steve Adams [February 8 at 11:17am CST]

SATURDAY: It's only "a matter of time" before the Mariners agree to terms with Cruz, industry sources tell Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune (on Twitter).

Seattle has the sixth overall selection in the 2014 draft, meaning its first-round pick is protected under Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement. The Mariners have also already forfeited their second round pick in signing Robinson Cano to a 10-year, $240MM contract, meaning they'd "only" be looking at forfeiting their Competitive Balance round pick. Seattle won the final pick of Competitive Balance Round B in last summer's Competitive Balance lottery.

Gallen5862
02-09-2014, 03:08 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/777/kendrys-morales

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that there is "mutual interest" between the Pirates and Kendrys Morales.
Cafardo writes that the Pirates "would love" Morales at the right price, but "they may also pursue a first baseman via trade." They've long been mentioned as a potential landing spot for Ike Davis, and Cafardo also lists Adam Lind, Mitch Moreland, Justin Smoak, Daniel Nava and Mike Carp as possible targets. Signing Morales would require the Pirates to forfeit their first-round draft pick. They'd also probably no longer be able to afford Morales if they wind up re-signing A.J. Burnett.

PepperJack
02-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Matt Garrioch's Top 300 draft prospects.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/2/7/5387356/mlb-draft-top-300-prospects-2014

We are just under four months from draft day. Here is how my top 300 prospect list looks right now. This is still a fluid list and there will plenty of change between now and June.

Current 15-30, could be an early gauge of players in the Reds range. The list, as noted, will be very fluid this early.

15 Brady Aiken LHP
16 Derek Fisher OF
17 Jacob Gatewood 3B
18 Nick Burdi RHP JR
19 Michael Chavis 3B
20 Kodi Medeiros LHP
21 Greg Deichmann 2B
22 Chase Vallot C
23 Michael Cederoth RHP
24 Michael Gettys CF
25 Scott Blewett RHP
26 Monte' Harrison OF
27 Luke Weaver RHP
28 Kyle Schwarber C/1B
29 Aaron Nola RHP RHP
30 Sean Newcomb LHP

Jamz
02-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Isn't Gatewood supposed to have Stanton like power? Wouldn't mind taking a chance there if Gordon/Turner aren't there at the Reds' pick.

Benihana
02-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Isn't Gatewood supposed to have Stanton like power? Wouldn't mind taking a chance there if Gordon/Turner aren't there at the Reds' pick.

Not that projections mean anything now, as a lot can and will change, but Gatewood is currently considered a top 10 pick by just about everyone I've seen/read/heard from.

Except Garrioch of course.

Gallen5862
02-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Orioles Nearing Deal With Ubaldo Jimenez

By Jeff Todd [February 17 at 5:20pm CST]

The Orioles are working to finalize a deal with free agent starter Ubaldo Jimenez, reports MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko. The contract under consideration is believed to be for four years and $48MM.

Jimenez, 30, is one of the premier remaining available free agents. He checked in at 11th on the top fifty free agent list of MLBTR's Tim Dierkes.

If Jimenez does indeed sign with the Orioles, his new employer would be required to sacrifice the 17th overall choice in the 2014 amateur draft. Meanwhile, the Indians -- Jimenez's former club -- would add a sandwich-round compensation pick.

Gallen5862
02-17-2014, 07:54 PM

Orioles To Sign Ubaldo Jimenez

By Jeff Todd [February 17 at 5:51pm CST]

The Orioles have agreed to terms with free agent starter Ubaldo Jimenez, pending physical, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). It was recently reported by MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko that the sides were nearing agreement, with the terms believed to be in the range of four-years and $48MM. Promising a fourth year was necessary, tweets Kubatko, due to interest from multiple other AL East clubs, including the Blue Jays.

Because Jimenez turned down a qualifying offer, the Orioles will part with their first-round choice (17th overall) in the upcoming 2014 amateur draft in order to add him to their roster. Meanwhile, the Indians officially pick up a compensation pick in the sandwich round as compensation.

Gallen5862
02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Gallen5862
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...d-draft-order/

First Round

1. Houston Astros

2. Miami Marlins

3. Chicago White Sox

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Seattle Mariners

7. Philadelphia Phillies

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Toronto Blue Jays

10. New York Mets

12. Milwaukee Brewers

13. San Diego Padres

14. San Francisco Giants

15. Los Angeles Angels

16. Arizona Diamondbacks

17. Kansas City Royals

18. Washington Nationals

19. Cincinnati Reds

20. Tampa Bay Rays

21. Cleveland Indians

22. Los Angeles Dodgers

23. Detroit Tigers

24. Pittsburgh Pirates

25. Oakland Athletics

26. Atlanta Braves

27. Boston Red Sox

28. St. Louis Cardinals

Compensatory Round

*29. Kansas City Royals (Ervin Santana)

*30. Cincinnati Reds (awarded for losing Shin-Soo Choo)

*31. Texas Rangers (Nelson Cruz)

*32. Miami Marlins (compensation for failure to sign Matt Krook in ‘13 draft)

*33. Cleveland Indians (awarded for losing Ubaldo Jimenez)

34. Atlanta Braves (awarded for losing Brian McCann)

35. Boston Red Sox (awarded for losing Jacoby Ellsbury)

*36. Boston Red Sox (Stephen Drew)

*37. St. Louis Cardinals (awarded for losing Carlos Beltran)

Updated with Baltimore Orioles losing draft pick #17 for signing Ubaldo Jimenez. Cleveland Indians (awarded #33 for losing Ubaldo Jimenez)

Gallen5862
02-17-2014, 08:16 PM
The Cincinnati Reds now have pick #19 and comp pick #30 in the draft.

corkedbat
02-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Wish the Nats and Royals ownerships would suddenly go insane and sign Cruz and Morales :D

M2
02-18-2014, 10:14 AM
There are many problems with the new collective bargaining agreement, but the free-agent compensation is one way that the new system is significantly better than the old rules. Under the old rules, teams lost one pick for signing a free agent while gaining two. Now its a one-for-one transaction. Sign a compensatory free agent? Lose a pick. Lose a compensatory free agent? Gain a pick.

It's still messed up. Teams shouldn't lose a pick for trying to improve themselves. Basically it culls the market down to big market teams that can buy their way around the loss of the draft picks, like the Yankees. Mid-market teams have to weigh whether a high-priced addition today is worth the loss of a potential low-priced performer in a few years.

A far simpler system would be that teams losing significant players should get sandwich picks. No one loses any picks. No punishment for helping your team. They could go back to type A, B, C free agents with teams getting picks for the first two categories. The Reds would have picked up picks for Choo and Arroyo.

mdccclxix
02-18-2014, 10:51 AM
It's still messed up. Teams shouldn't lose a pick for trying to improve themselves. Basically it culls the market down to big market teams that can buy their way around the loss of the draft picks, like the Yankees. Mid-market teams have to weigh whether a high-priced addition today is worth the loss of a potential low-priced performer in a few years.

A far simpler system would be that teams losing significant players should get sandwich picks. No one loses any picks. No punishment for helping your team. They could go back to type A, B, C free agents with teams getting picks for the first two categories. The Reds would have picked up picks for Choo and Arroyo.

It did bring down the price on Jiminez far enough for Baltimore to consider it, so there is that benefit to lower payroll teams.

Rojo
02-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Why not forfeit picks when you go over the cap?

dougdirt
02-18-2014, 10:37 PM

Because that punishes the teams MLB wants to be winning.

bellhead
02-18-2014, 11:41 PM

Would be a step in the right direction.

corkedbat
02-19-2014, 01:15 PM
I would love to see Turner or Gordon sitting there when we draft at 19 or Tiquan Forbes there at 30. I don't believe in drafting for need (especially in baseball), by any of the three might be considered the Best Player Available at those spots and the Reds middle infield definitely needs beefing up.

Greenwood and Walker at 19 & 30 would be a dream draft, IMO, then go pitching heavy the rest of the top 10 (although I would like to see solid catcher and corner OF prospects included too).

REDREAD
02-19-2014, 11:06 PM

Just to play devil's advocate though.
The current compensation system also helps teams retain talent.
I'm sure many players have seen the relatively tepid interest that Ubaldo Jimmeniz, Stephen Drew, and Lohse got (partially because draft compensation was tied in).

In fact, I would go as far as saying that it helped us resign Homer.
No way to prove it, but it didn't hurt, because Homer would've surely had a draft pick compensation tied to him.

Dampening the FA market place also helps keep FA salaries lower, which trickles down to keeping arbitration awards lower.

The small and mid market teams were never big players in the FA market under the old A, B, C free agent compensation system.

Plus, I love the fact that a team has to risk offering arbitration to a guy in order to get the draft pick. That helps the player. For example, the Reds in hindsight clearly had no interest at bringing back Arroyo at market value. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but since Arroyo had no draft pick compensation tied to him, his yearly salary is approximately what U Jimmeniz was given. So it works in favor of some of the lower profile FAs.

M2
02-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Would be a step in the right direction.

Because trying to win with the resources you have is bad?

M2
02-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Just to play devil's advocate though.
The current compensation system also helps teams retain talent.

I'm not sure it actually works that way, but if owners perceive it that way (and they might) then that would definitely put them in favor of keeping the current system.

PepperJack
02-20-2014, 12:46 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/phillies-notes-rollins-montgomery-draft-picks.html

Oregon State left-hander Ben Wetzler was indefinitely suspended by the NCAA for inappropriate contact with a financial advisor after he was drafted in the fifth round by the Phillies last June, and Baseball America's Aaron Fitt reports (all Twitter links) that it was the Phils themselves who turned Wetzler in to the NCAA. The club also tried to report sixth-round pick Jason Monda, but Monda was cleared by the NCAA to continue playing for Washington State. Wetzler and Monda, both college juniors, turned to school rather than sign with the Phillies, and Fitt notes that it is "a significant departure from [the] industry norm" for teams to report on their unsigned players.
In reaction to Fitt's report, Scout.com's Kiley McDaniel says the Phillies "destroyed all trust" between teams and agents in the draft process and Baseball America's Jim Callis feels this "should be" cause for non-senior college players and agents to be careful about dealing with Philadelphia (both links to Twitter).

RedTeamGo!
02-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Wow, that is shady.

Sounds like what happened with Bo Jackson when he visited Tampa Bay.

M2
02-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Got a feeling that a lot of prospects will refuse even to talk with Phillies scouts after this. Their coaches will be warning them, especially in the college ranks.

dougdirt
02-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Got a feeling that a lot of prospects will refuse even to talk with Phillies scouts after this. Their coaches will be warning them, especially in the college ranks.

Aaron Fitt was on MLB Network radio this past hour talking about that exact thing. He suggested that coaches aren't even going to let the Phillies talk to their players and honestly, I can't say that I would blame them one bit.

RedlegJake
02-20-2014, 05:56 PM
This was a classic case of cutting off your own nose but a bigger problem is that they may have cut the noses off a few other organizations, too. Certainly it would make me suspicious of any ML team if I was a coach or player. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

PepperJack
02-20-2014, 09:12 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/phillies-accuse-two-2013-draftees-of-ncaa-violations.html

Follow up.

Monda has since been cleared to play for Washington State this season, but Wetzler's investigation is ongoing, leaving Oregon State without its left-handed ace, according to Fitt. He goes on to note that just because these accusations are in place doesn't mean that Wetzler and Monda actually violated the rules, adding that an NCAA ruling is expected by the end of the week.

This story is of particular note given the fact that agents who are advising draft prospects are unhappy and could withhold information from the Phillies as the draft approaches. In a followup tweet to his story, Fitt quotes on agent who told him, "As of today, Phillies are out. Phillies are not getting into any more of our households. We're shutting down all communications." He also tweets that multiple agents have said there will be repercussions for the Phillies.

Scout.com's Kiley McDaniel and ESPN's Keith Law have heard the same from agents in conversations today (Twitter links). Law goes on to speculate (via Twitter) that the Phillies may not receive information about the signability of some prospects, as well as their questionnaire responses and psych exam results.

Gallen5862
02-21-2014, 10:03 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24451662/ben-wetzler-suspended-for-20-percent-of-oregon-states-season

Ben Wetzler suspended for 20 percent of Oregon State's season

Oregon State pitcher Ben Wetzler was selected by the Phillies in the fifth round in last June's MLB draft. As is standard procedure these days, he consulted with an agent while deciding whether to sign with the Phillies or to stay in school. He elected the latter.

In turn, the Phillies turned in Wetzler for the NCAA for contact with an agent and now he's been cost 20 percent of his senior year.

Gallen5862
02-22-2014, 09:50 AM

Orioles Close To Deal With Nelson Cruz

By Tim Dierkes [February 22 at 7:02am CST]

The Orioles are close to a deal with slugger Nelson Cruz, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Heyman adds, "There are still a couple issues to be resolved, according to sources, though a deal looks extremely likely."

Cruz was one of 13 players to receive and turn down a one-year, $14.1MM qualifying offer in November. Signing such a player requires the forfeiture of a draft pick, which contributed to slow markets for Cruz, Ubaldo Jimenez, and the still-unsigned Ervin Santana, Stephen Drew, and Kendrys Morales. The Orioles signed Jimenez on Monday to a four-year, $50MM contract, a franchise record for a pitcher. The O's sacrificed the 17th overall pick in the June draft to do so. At the trade deadline last year, the Orioles dealt their Competitive Balance Lottery Round A pick to the Astros in the Bud Norris deal, currently #33 overall. That means their next available pick to sacrifice for a qualifying offer free agent is #52, so the penalty to sign Cruz is less pronounced. The Rangers will receive a supplemental first round pick for their loss.

Gallen5862
02-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Orioles To Sign Nelson Cruz

By Charlie Wilmoth [February 22 at 9:25am CST]

Nelson Cruz and the Orioles have agreed to terms on a one-year contract, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports. CBS Sports' Jon Heyman originally reported that the two parties were close to an agreement. The deal is for one-year and a base salary of $8MM, plus $750K in incentives, obviously a very disappointing outcome for a player who declined a $14.1MM qualifying offer from the Rangers and at one point reportedly sought a four-year, $75MM deal. Cruz is represented by the Wasserman Media Group.

Cruz, 33, hit .266/.327/.506 in 456 plate appearances in 2013. A 50-game suspension for his connection to the Biogenesis scandal shortened his season.

The Rangers will now receive what is currently the No. 30 overall pick in the 2014 draft as a result of Cruz signing elsewhere. The Orioles, meanwhile, will sacrifice the No. 55 pick. Losing the No. 17 pick when they struck a deal with Ubaldo Jimenez likely made it easier for the Orioles to sign Cruz, since they would no longer have to give up a first-round draft choice in order to do so.

Gallen5862
02-22-2014, 12:16 PM

First Round

1. Houston Astros

2. Miami Marlins

3. Chicago White Sox

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Seattle Mariners

7. Philadelphia Phillies

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Toronto Blue Jays

10. New York Mets

12. Milwaukee Brewers

13. San Diego Padres

14. San Francisco Giants

15. Los Angeles Angels

16. Arizona Diamondbacks

17. Kansas City Royals

18. Washington Nationals

19. Cincinnati Reds

20. Tampa Bay Rays

21. Cleveland Indians

22. Los Angeles Dodgers

23. Detroit Tigers

24. Pittsburgh Pirates

25. Oakland Athletics

X- Atlanta Braves (forfeited for signing Ervin Santana)

26. Boston Red Sox

27. St. Louis Cardinals

Compensatory Round

*28. Kansas City Royals (awarded for Ervin Santana)

*29. Cincinnati Reds (awarded for losing Shin-Soo Choo)

*30. Texas Rangers (awarded for losing Nelson Cruz)

*31. Miami Marlins (compensation for failure to sign Matt Krook in ‘13 draft)

*32. Cleveland Indians (awarded for losing Ubaldo Jimenez)

33. Atlanta Braves (awarded for losing Brian McCann)

34. Boston Red Sox (awarded for losing Jacoby Ellsbury)

*35. Boston Red Sox (Stephen Drew)

*36. St. Louis Cardinals (awarded for losing Carlos Beltran)

Updated with Baltimore Orioles losing draft pick #55 for signing Nelson Cruz. Texas Rangers (awarded #31 for losing Nelson Cruz)

19braves77
02-25-2014, 07:06 AM
I am intrigue with FSU's Winston as a baseball player. He looks like Elijah Dukes at the plate, he cant hit yet he is a switch hitter, he plays RF with the arm of Vlad and the route running of Adam Dunn. He then comes on in the 9th inning with a crazy delivery and hits 92 consistently ...... I kinda wish he was eligible this year just to see what teams say publically about him.

mdccclxix
03-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Looks like the Reds will pick 19th and 29th after Ervin Santana goes to Atlanta.

Gallen5862
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Braves Sign Ervin Santana

By making this signing, the Braves are sacrificing their No. 26 overall selection in the draft, though that loss is lessened somewhat by the fact that they will have the No. 32 overall pick after losing Brian McCann to the Yankees as a free agent. The signing also means that Royals will now gain the No. 28 selection in the 2014 draft, as Yahoo's Jeff Passan tweeted over the weekend. That will give Kansas City four of the first 58 picks in this year's draft.

Gallen5862
03-12-2014, 12:16 PM

First Round

1. Houston Astros

2. Miami Marlins

3. Chicago White Sox

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Seattle Mariners

7. Philadelphia Phillies

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Toronto Blue Jays

10. New York Mets

12. Milwaukee Brewers

13. San Diego Padres

14. San Francisco Giants

15. Los Angeles Angels

16. Arizona Diamondbacks

17. Kansas City Royals

18. Washington Nationals

19. Cincinnati Reds

20. Tampa Bay Rays

21. Cleveland Indians

22. Los Angeles Dodgers

23. Detroit Tigers

24. Pittsburgh Pirates

25. Oakland Athletics

X- Atlanta Braves (forfeited for signing Ervin Santana)

26. Boston Red Sox

27. St. Louis Cardinals

Compensatory Round

*28. Kansas City Royals (awarded for losing Ervin Santana)

*29. Cincinnati Reds (awarded for losing Shin-Soo Choo)

*30. Texas Rangers (awarded for losing Nelson Cruz)

*31. Miami Marlins (compensation for failure to sign Matt Krook in ‘13 draft)

*32. Cleveland Indians (awarded for losing Ubaldo Jimenez)

33. Atlanta Braves (awarded for losing Brian McCann)

34. Boston Red Sox (awarded for losing Jacoby Ellsbury)

*35. Boston Red Sox (Stephen Drew)

*36. St. Louis Cardinals (awarded for losing Carlos Beltran)

Updated with Atlanta Braves losing draft pick #26 for signing Ervin Santana. Kansas City Royals (awarded #28 for losing Nelson Cruz)

Rojo
03-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Here's my question to the group: do you draft for need? I know every thinking person says to draft for talent, not need. But consarnit, the Reds have a pretty nice system that is completely BEREFT of middle infielders.

19braves77
03-12-2014, 07:54 PM
I think it's okay to do it now when you consider how much teams value the first round picks now.

RedlegJake
03-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Pitching is always #1 in my opinion. But if position players are ranked higher at that slot I would grab the best MI or catcher. Reds are really flush with good OF candidates from AA down the ladder. Even catching has signs of life but good catchers are scarce, too. My only qualm is for crying out loud pick a MI with the potential to hit! That's a problem with MI, quite often the best ones are glove over bat even as prospects.

M2
03-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Here's my question to the group: do you draft for need? I know every thinking person says to draft for talent, not need. But consarnit, the Reds have a pretty nice system that is completely BEREFT of middle infielders.

I wouldn't draft for need. I might let need play tiebreaker if I was between two kids high in the draft. I might let need guide me a bit in rounds 3-7. Yet, and I say this as a someone with an incurable SS addiction, I wouldn't draft a SS in the 1st round just to have a SS. I'd rather collect Cory Thompsons and Carlton Daals in the hopes that one pans out.

Rojo
03-13-2014, 01:18 PM
I guess I'm trying to talk myself into Nick Gordon, who I don't really like, but may fall to #19.

M2
03-13-2014, 02:59 PM
I guess I'm trying to talk myself into Nick Gordon, who I don't really like, but may fall to #19.

I'd stick with the "don't really like" part and skip the talking into part. I haven't paid that much attention to Gordon yet, but he's generally well-regarded. Matt Garrioch's first mock draft (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/3/10/5485534/2014-mlb-mock-draft-version-1) has him going #7 to the Phillies. Garrioch tends to focus more on where a kid should go than where a kid will go. BA is generally the best for "will go."

I suspect Gordon's stock will need to drop for him to be around for the Reds' pick. So, if you're right about him, maybe he'll Matt Bush a spot ahead of the Reds.

Benihana
03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Agreed. At this point, the only first round SS in this draft is Trea Turner in my book. Very likely others will go, but he's the only real one I'd be interested in. Otherwise I'd start considering other guys (like Ti'quan Forbes) at 29 or later.

19braves77
03-13-2014, 06:32 PM
I have seen a lot of the Top 10 names IP mention in mock draft and I think Luke Weaver, Aaron Nola, and Derek Swisher move up with Hoffman moving out of the Top 10.

lollipopcurve
03-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Strength at the top of this draft is supposedly arms. Reds should grab the best one they can get at 19, then see what drops to 29, IMO.

M2
03-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Strength at the top of this draft is supposedly arms. Reds should grab the best one they can get at 19, then see what drops to 29, IMO.

Solid gameplan. I've got a yen for Justus Sheffield - prep southpaw from Tennessee with three plus-pitch potential.

corkedbat
03-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Jose Inglesias has a shin injury that may shelve him for most of the season. Could lead Detroit to make a move on Stephen Drew. Wouldn't affect our pick at 19, but would move our comp pick up to #28 if they do indeed sign him. If so, and someone with an exposed 1st signs Morales we would end up at 27 (the same spot that netted us BobbySteve, IIRC).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/03/jose-iglesias-expected-to-miss-most-of-2014.html

JMO
03-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Go BPA in the draft. The Reds need to hit big on the first 2 picks especially. Pitching, Pitching and Pitching. I also want a SS that can hit, a projectable bat with solid D.

kaldaniels
03-16-2014, 10:37 PM
You always consider the best player available so take this with a grain of salt.

But nail the 2 top-30 picks with polished guys ala Ervin and the farm system would be in significantly better shape.

And in other obvious news, the earth is round.

camisadelgolf
03-17-2014, 01:39 AM
Even if you have Mike Trout, you still draft a center fielder if it's the best player available.

You never know how this game goes--it could be five years or more before the drafted player is doing anything significant in the majors. By then, injuries and contract questions could easily push your franchise player elsewhere. If so, you have an insurance policy. If not, teams are always looking for prospects. You'd then trade for established veterans with more consistent output.

RedlegJake
03-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Even if you have Mike Trout, you still draft a center fielder if it's the best player available.

You never know how this game goes--it could be five years or more before the drafted player is doing anything significant in the majors. By then, injuries and contract questions could easily push your franchise player elsewhere. If so, you have an insurance policy. If not, teams are always looking for prospects. You'd then trade for established veterans with more consistent output.

Even more true today with the premium teams put on top prospects. You can always deal an excellent prospect and today you can get a quality starting player for one. If anything, prospects are over valued by most teams now.

AtomicDumpling
03-18-2014, 02:46 AM

Agreed. Take the best player, if he doesn't fit into the major league team's needs when he is ready for the big leagues you can trade him for a player who does fit into the team's needs. Don't take a lesser player in an attempt to predict what the team will need in 3-5 years.

mdccclxix
04-01-2014, 11:05 AM
It's a good year to have some extra picks. Looking at the MLB.com top 50, I wasn't that impressed with the top 30 and couldn't see a sharp line from 15-50.

PepperJack
04-02-2014, 06:15 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/04/amateur-draft-international-bonus-pools-rise-by-17-percent.html

Amateur draft pools and international bonus pools allotted under the latest collective bargaining agreement will rise by 1.7 percent this year, according to Jim Callis of MLB.com. As Callis notes, the Marlins have the largest bonus pool due to their 13 picks in the first 10 rounds, while the Orioles, who forfeited their first- and second-round picks to sign Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz, have the lowest total.

The Reds are now listed as having $6,973,400 available in the draft, and $ 2,033,400 available in the International market.

Gallen5862
04-02-2014, 06:53 PM

Amateur Draft, International Bonus Pools Rise By 1.7 Percent
By Steve Adams [April 2 at 5:02pm CST]
Amateur draft pools and international bonus pools allotted under the latest collective bargaining agreement will rise by 1.7 percent this year, according to Jim Callis of MLB.com. As Callis notes, the Marlins have the largest bonus pool due to their 13 picks in the first 10 rounds, while the Orioles, who forfeited their first- and second-round picks to sign Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz, have the lowest total.

Callis notes that this year's No. 1 overall pick in the draft is valued at $7,922,100 -- an increase of $131,700. Below, you can look at the draft and international pools available to all 30 teams (As Callis points out, both Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales could still impact the draft pools, as their signing with new teams could create new picks/bonus money for the Red Sox and Mariners):

All bonus money directed toward a player selected in the Top 10 rounds of the draft counts against a team's bonus pool, as does any bonus money that exceeds $100K to players selected in rounds 11 through 40 (for example, a $180K bonus to a team's 11th-round pick would result in $80K being removed from its draft pool). As a reminder, the penalties for exceeding draft bonus pools are as follows:

Exceed by 0 to 5 percent: 75 percent tax on the overage.
Exceed by 5 to 10 percent: 75 percent tax on the overage plus the loss of a first-round pick in the following year's draft.
Exceed by 10 to 15 percent: 100 percent tax on the overage plus the loss of a first- and second-round pick in the following year's draft.
Exceed by more than 15 percent: 100 percent tax on the overage plus the lost of a first-round pick in the following two drafts.

Benihana
04-06-2014, 10:11 PM
April top 5 wish list for Reds includes
Alex Jackson C
Trea Turner SS
Brady Aiken LHP
Justus Sheffield LHP
and Touki Touissant RHP

Other names that interest me include Gatewood, Pentecost, Newcomb and Nola.

JMO
04-08-2014, 01:33 PM
A Jackson and T Turner will be LONG GONE before we pick. I want Newcomb, Finnegan, Nick Burdi, Cederoth, T Forbes, Reetz and Diechmann

Benihana
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
A Jackson and T Turner will be LONG GONE before we pick. I want Newcomb, Finnegan, Nick Burdi, Cederoth, T Forbes, Reetz and Diechmann

Jackson maybe, but Turner could be a possibility. While he was initially looking like a top 5 guy, most mock drafts now have him slipping until the teens. Of course, no one knows anything until (and a lot could change by) June.

Rojo
04-09-2014, 06:31 PM
While he was initially looking like a top 5 guy, most mock drafts now have him slipping until the teens.

I'm not buying it.

Benihana
04-09-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm not buying it.

Well, here's one that's usually pretty good: http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

Updated April 7, has Turner falling to pick 15.

Benihana
04-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Well, here's one that's usually pretty good: http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

Also, BA just released their midseason top 50 - Turner is ranked 11, and some scouts are questioning his swing and ability to hit. Just saying, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he slips into the mid-to-late teens.

REDREAD
04-21-2014, 09:08 AM

Ugg.. I hope we don't pick the Fisher guy they predicted for the Reds.. doesn't seem very exciting based on that report.
Although, obviously, maybe the writer is underselling Fisher..

mdccclxix
04-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Going back over the last 20 drafts or so, if you're drafting a SS in the early rounds and looking for success, it's a foolish idea. That is, unless you don't mind them playing 2b, 3b, or OF in the majors. There has been one slam dunk SS success, Tulo, in the last 20 years. Baez, Corriea, and Lindor are still pending results. Believe it or not, Cozart is one of the true success stories at SS in the early rounds in baseball. Many of the other SS around the majors were drafted after the 200th pick. With this all in mind, I now don't care as much about what the Reds have tried to do with drafting college middle infielders that have some polish. Seems as good an idea as any where results are always hard to come by.

Regarding the 2014 draft, I won't care to see them push for a middle infielder in the early going. Just get the best player.

RED VAN HOT
04-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Ugg.. I hope we don't pick the Fisher guy they predicted for the Reds.. doesn't seem very exciting based on that report.
Although, obviously, maybe the writer is underselling Fisher..

I'm with you there. OF is not a position of need with the number of prospects in the system. It seems unlikely that they would take one with swing and miss in his game and no glove. Not much fall back there.

SS is so hard to predict. A potentially wasted pick. May be best to fill that position with Latin American players.

Rojo
04-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Going back over the last 20 drafts or so, if you're drafting a SS in the early rounds and looking for success, it's a foolish idea. That is, unless you don't mind them playing 2b, 3b, or OF in the majors.

I don't mind them play 2b, 3b or OF. I'd prefer a true SS of course. But I like drafting from the top of the defensive spectrum, more margin for error.

Benihana
04-22-2014, 04:30 PM
I don't mind them play 2b, 3b or OF. I'd prefer a true SS of course. But I like drafting from the top of the defensive spectrum, more margin for error.

By that token, 2B Forrest Wall could be an interesting player to watch in the sandwich or 2nd round. He could be the eventual replacement for Phillips in a couple years. Swings a big stick.

RED VAN HOT
04-22-2014, 06:00 PM

That works. However, each of these positions has an offensive profile also. If the player is fast and makes contact, he may stick at center or 2B. He needs power to move down to a corner. Of course if he does have the other tools to successfully move down the spectrum and yet he does stick at SS, then you really have something.

For example, consider Trea Turner. By some accounts his stock has fallen because of a relatively disappointing average. However, his K rate is only 10%, he has stolen 14 of 17, and he has hit 6 HR's. To me, that makes him a low risk first round choice and one not likely to fall to 16.

PepperJack
04-22-2014, 11:16 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/04/rosenthals-latest-hunter.html

One executive told Rosenthal that the increase in extensions for younger players is due to the lack of overall talent in today’s game. With so few impact performers, teams are more compelled than ever to lock them up through their prime. As an example, that executive pointed to this year’s draft class, noting that NC State shortstop Trea Turner might be the only college shortstop selected in the Top 250.

Benihana
04-23-2014, 07:19 PM
T Turner will be LONG GONE before we pick. I want Newcomb, Finnegan, Nick Burdi, Cederoth, T Forbes, Reetz and Diechmann

From BA's John Manuel chat today:

Mick (Chicago): Has Trea Turner fell to the 20's in the 1st round w/ his poor offense and reduced 80 to 60 speed?
John Manuel: He’s not a 60 runner. He may not be a consistent 80 runner anymore, but he’s not a 60 runner. He’s not falling that far. Too few college bats, his defense at SS has improved, and he still has impact speed. His SBs are down in part because he batted third for much of the first half of the season and often was clogged on the bases. I could not see him falling below Cincinnati at No. 19.

As I noted back in June (on the first page of this thread), I'd be pretty pleased with Turner at 19.

Edd Roush
04-24-2014, 12:13 PM
As I noted back in June (on the first page of this thread), I'd be pretty pleased with Turner at 19.

Trea Turner at 19 would be awesome.

19braves77
04-29-2014, 02:08 PM
I am going to guess Luke Weaver to Cincy.

The NC State coach should feel ashamed for what he has done to Carlos Rondon. Whatever team takes him should shut him down for the year.

Edd Roush
04-29-2014, 02:43 PM
I am going to guess Luke Weaver to Cincy.

The NC State coach should feel ashamed for what he has done to Carlos Rondon. Whatever team takes him should shut him down for the year.

I would not hate a Weaver pick, but he seems like he is all fastball now.

Mymlbdraft updated their mock yesterday and have the Reds taking Braxton Davidson. Looking over their scouting report of him, he sounds like a clone of Jesse Winker and I would have no problem at all drafting that if Trea Turner is off the board.

PepperJack
04-30-2014, 12:25 AM
Jim Callis article for MLB.com on the draft.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/much-pitching-talent-in-this-years-mlb-draft?ymd=20140429&content_id=73636490&vkey=news_cin

The 2011 First-Year Player Draft opened with the selection with four pitchers: Gerrit Cole (Pirates), Danny Hultzen (Mariners), Trevor Bauer (D-backs) and Dylan Bundy (Orioles). That had never happened before, and it hasn't happened since.

In 2004, the Padres chose shortstop Matt Bush (who would finish his ill-fated career on the mound) with the No. 1 overall pick before clubs went on a run of seven straight pitchers: Justin Verlander (Tigers), Philip Humber (Mets), Jeff Niemann (Devil Rays), Mark Rogers (Brewers), Jeremy Sowers (Indians), Homer Bailey (Reds) and Wade Townsend (Orioles). Seven pitchers in the first eight selections was unprecedented, and that also hasn't been repeated.

That very well could change soon. Pitchers headline this year's Draft prospects to such an extent that both of those records likely will be matched. The standard of 20 pitchers selected in the first round in 2001 also could be equaled.

Also, their top 100 list seems to have been updated at some point, as the players have a prvious rank next to their names as well.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=draft

Benihana
04-30-2014, 10:33 AM
One month out, updated target list (no particular order):

FIRST ROUND (#19)
Trea Turner SS
Touki Toussaint RHP
Brandon Finnegan LHP
Sean Newcomb LHP

SANDWICH (#29)
Max Pentecost C
Jacob Gatewood SS/3B
Forrest Wall 2B
Marcus Wilson OF
Monte Harrison OF

SECOND ROUND (#55?)
Justus Sheffield LHP
Mac Marshall LHP
Ti'quan Forbes SS
JJ Schwarz C

RED VAN HOT
04-30-2014, 06:57 PM

FIRST ROUND (#19)
Trea Turner SS
Touki Toussaint RHP
Brandon Finnegan LHP
Sean Newcomb LHP

SANDWICH (#29)
Max Pentecost C
Jacob Gatewood SS/3B
Forrest Wall 2B
Marcus Wilson OF
Monte Harrison OF

SECOND ROUND (#55?)
Justus Sheffield LHP
Mac Marshall LHP
Ti'quan Forbes SS
JJ Schwarz C

Looks good to me. I hope any of those are available in the first round. I would be inclined to switch Ti'quan Forbes with Forest Wall, who seems like too big a risk to take that high.

Benihana
05-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Not necessarily on my target list, but Jacob Bukauskas sounds like a guy that Buckley and the Reds go for (vertically challenged RHP with good stuff):

Add Bukauskas to the list of triple-digit pitchers this year. At 6-1 and 200 pounds, he has been consistently hitting the upper-90s this spring and he adds a deceptive change-up with nice fade and a tight slider. Through 36.2 innings, he has 82 K/3 BB, allowing just 10 hits. Committed to North Carolina.

lollipopcurve
05-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Jacob Bukauskas sounds like a guy that Buckley and the Reds go for (vertically challenged RHP with good stuff)

Agreed. Late rising high-velo high school arm, a la Stephenson and Travieso.

Chuckie
05-06-2014, 03:27 PM
I just hope the Reds take the best player available each time they pick in the early rounds and don't worry about "needs."

kaldaniels
05-06-2014, 03:48 PM
I just hope the Reds take the best player available each time they pick in the early rounds and don't worry about "needs."

It's a gray area. If their top-ranked guy is a 1B that is just marginally better than the next guy, a SS, I'll take the SS myself.

No one guy fulfills a need, but you have to have the "system as a whole"'s needs in mind.

dougdirt
05-06-2014, 09:10 PM

Generally speaking that is how the first 10 rounds go. After that you can draft for needs, but it isn't big league needs as much as it is "we actually need a guy to play X position in Arizona or Billings", so maybe you grab a guy to fill that out.

lollipopcurve
05-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Generally speaking that is how the first 10 rounds go. After that you can draft for needs, but it isn't big league needs as much as it is "we actually need a guy to play X position in Arizona or Billings", so maybe you grab a guy to fill that out.

Signing bonus does become a consideration in the top 10 rounds, given the slot values. So, you'll generally see a senior or two within the top 10 so as to have some extra cash for other picks.

Gallen5862
05-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Potential Top 5 Pick Jeff Hoffman To Undergo Tommy John Surgery

By Steve Adams [May 7, 2014 at 1:44pm CDT]

East Carolina University right-hander Jeff Hoffman — a projected Top 5 pick in this year’s amateur draft — will miss the remainder of the season with an arm injury, reports Kendall Rogers of PerfectGame.org (via Twitter). ESPN’s Keith Law adds that the news is even worse than that, as Hoffman will require Tommy John surgery (Twitter link).

Scouting reports indicate that Hoffman is an excellent athlete with a fastball that reaches 97 mph and a plus curveball when he’s at his best. The 6’4″, 192-pound right-hander has posted a 2.94 ERA in 67 1/3 innings this season, striking out 72 batters against 20 walks and holding opponents to a .216 batting average.

Hoffman’s injury doesn’t necessarily preclude him from being selected in the first or second round of the draft. In 2012, right-hander Lucas Giolito was considered a potential No. 1 overall pick before he sprained his UCL, causing him to drop to the Nationals with the 16th pick. Last season, injury concerns over former projected Top 5 pick Sean Manaea caused him to fall to the Royals with the No. 34 pick. Clubs with extra draft picks and/or large draft pools could take a chance on Hoffman, conceding the year of development time and a slower start to his career in order to land a Top 5 talent far later than originally anticipated.

RED VAN HOT
05-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Potential Top 5 Pick Jeff Hoffman To Undergo Tommy John Surgery

By Steve Adams [May 7, 2014 at 1:44pm CDT]

East Carolina University right-hander Jeff Hoffman — a projected Top 5 pick in this year’s amateur draft — will miss the remainder of the season with an arm injury, reports Kendall Rogers of PerfectGame.org (via Twitter). ESPN’s Keith Law adds that the news is even worse than that, as Hoffman will require Tommy John surgery (Twitter link).

Scouting reports indicate that Hoffman is an excellent athlete with a fastball that reaches 97 mph and a plus curveball when he’s at his best. The 6’4″, 192-pound right-hander has posted a 2.94 ERA in 67 1/3 innings this season, striking out 72 batters against 20 walks and holding opponents to a .216 batting average.

Hoffman’s injury doesn’t necessarily preclude him from being selected in the first or second round of the draft. In 2012, right-hander Lucas Giolito was considered a potential No. 1 overall pick before he sprained his UCL, causing him to drop to the Nationals with the 16th pick. Last season, injury concerns over former projected Top 5 pick Sean Manaea caused him to fall to the Royals with the No. 34 pick. Clubs with extra draft picks and/or large draft pools could take a chance on Hoffman, conceding the year of development time and a slower start to his career in order to land a Top 5 talent far later than originally anticipated.

So, is Hoffman worth pick #29? #55?

Benihana
05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
So, is Hoffman worth pick #29? #55?

Yes. Definitely 55. Probably 29. Hell maybe even 19. This is a big error/inefficiency in the market IMO, that teams overestimate the impact of near-term injury. A high number of these pitchers will face TJ surgery at some point, many before they ever throw an inning in the majors. The fact that Hoffman is "getting it out of the way now" shouldn't put as big of a discount on his talent as some might assume.

Just look at Dylan Bundy. Or Jameson Tallion. Or Matt Harvey. Or Matt Moore. The list goes on.

It's the same logic why I really wanted the Reds to draft Lucas Giolito two years ago. Instead the Reds passed on the consensus top talent arm who was facing TJ for Nick Travieso. Last month, BP rated Giolito the #14 prospect in the game. No knock on Travieso, but Giolito was the better talent, even after discounting him for facing TJ surgery. Without having seen his full medical records, if the Reds have the opportunity to get Hoffman at 55 or even 29, they should pounce. Premium talent is premium talent, and TJ surgery has become a lot more of a likely thing that pitchers will face early in their development anyway.

Benihana
05-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Agreed. Late rising high-velo high school arm, a la Stephenson and Travieso.

Now it looks like Bukauskas will be attending college. Or so he says.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/bukauskas-tells-teams-hell-pass-on-draft/

Maybe the Reds take a flier they can sign him to an overslot deal in the 11th?

dougdirt
05-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Now it looks like Bukauskas will be attending college. Or so he says.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/bukauskas-tells-teams-hell-pass-on-draft/

Maybe the Reds take a flier they can sign him to an overslot deal in the 11th?

Going to have to save a whole bunch of money elsewhere to get him that late. Very risky because you would probably have to overdraft at least one of the first rounders and probably your 2nd-4th as well to make up the money to pay him what he would get if he just said "I will sign". If he doesn't sign, you really screwed your entire draft up.

Benihana
05-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Going to have to save a whole bunch of money elsewhere to get him that late. Very risky because you would probably have to overdraft at least one of the first rounders and probably your 2nd-4th as well to make up the money to pay him what he would get if he just said "I will sign". If he doesn't sign, you really screwed your entire draft up.

Nah. I wouldn't overdraft one of the first three picks dependent on that. Maybe guys 3rd round and later. If there's not enough to sign him, there's not enough. Worst case you overdrafted a 3rd or 4th rounder and forfeited your 11th rounder. Not the end of the world - especially given what the Reds did in 2009 and 2010.

Every year there is an "unsignable" guy or three that end up signing when the rubber meets the road. Josh Bell with the Pirates a few years back. Rowdy Tellez, Steven Farinaro, and Jake Brentz last year.

dougdirt
05-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Nah. I wouldn't overdraft one of the first three picks dependent on that. Maybe guys 3rd round and later. If there's not enough to sign him, there's not enough. Worst case you overdrafted a 3rd or 4th rounder and forfeited your 11th rounder. Not the end of the world - especially given what the Reds did in 2009 and 2010.

Every year there is an "unsignable" guy or three that end up signing when the rubber meets the road. Josh Bell with the Pirates a few years back. Rowdy Tellez, Steven Farinaro, and Jake Brentz last year.

You know, I did forget to account for the wiggle room for going over your allotment.

M2
05-08-2014, 12:04 PM
For those who want to find a SS with one of the top three picks, Corona, CA HS SS Josh Morgan looks like he's rising. Matt Garrioch's blurb on him is:

Excellent D at SS. Fun to watch on defense. Strong arm. Good athlete. Stays coiled and attacks the ball late. Good line drive swing. Solid hit tool.

Garrioch's got him just a hair below Trea Turner.

One kid who strikes me as a sleeper arm (potential 3rd or 4th rounder) is Granite Bay, CA RHP Mitch Hart. 6'4", lean build, strokes it in the low 90s, has a good working change. Big thing is he's only 17. Had he waited another year to start kindergarten, he might be in the 1st round mix in the 2015 draft (done a lot of climbing this year, but still maturing physically).

dougdirt
05-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Baseball America has up their first mock draft: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-mock-draft-track-record-lands-rodon-atop-first-mock/

19. Reds Projected Pick: Sean Reid-Foley
29. Reds Projected Pick: Milton Ramos

RedTeamGo!
05-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Baseball America has up their first mock draft: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-mock-draft-track-record-lands-rodon-atop-first-mock/

Two things:

1.) That NC State uniform is awesome

2.) What are your thoughts on Reid-Foley and Ramos?

M2
05-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Thoughts on the BA mock:

- I get the distinct impression the Reds aren't telling BA squat. Both those blurbs read like they were pure dart throws.

- I would need to be strapped to a table and gagged to prevent me from drafting Monte Harrison if he was on the board at #19. I'm not saying he's a sure thing or the obvious pick, but I so want the stud he could be. Though I'd be shocked if he got past the Royals at #17 (Harrison lives in a KC suburb).

- Reid-Foley seems to have been passed by some arms in recent months. He's still hovering in the 1st round, but it begs the question of whether you prefer an arm with helium or an arm that's been consistently well-regarded? And you very well might have different answers dependent on whether it's a prep or college arm.

- I would be stunned to see Ramos go that high.

- I dream on Touki Toussaint a lot too, but I figure someone will snatch him up before #19. He seems like a true wild card pick in that he could go anywhere in the 1st round.

- Interesting to see Michael Chavis slip to the 2nd round in that mock.

RED VAN HOT
05-08-2014, 02:04 PM
The Reid-Foley pick looks like a good guess to me. The first round SS's will likely be gone, so the Reds are likely to take a pitcher. They seem to like HS pitchers. Ramos seems like a reach to me at 29, given the questions about his hitting. If the Reds were hell bent on taking a SS at 29, I think Ti'quan Forbes would be a better choice, more fall backs if he doesn't stick at SS. If he does stick there, could be a real plus player, a SS with speed and a bat.

lollipopcurve
05-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Re: the BA mock, I like what the little mlb.com clips show of Reid-Foley and Ramos. Reid-Foley's arm looks live, his delivery is athletic enough for me, and his stuff really moves. I can see why they're saying it's a very deep draft for arms at the top.

Ramos looks like a pure SS. Given the scarcity at that position, I wouldn't be bothered.

M2
05-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Ramos looks like a pure SS. Given the scarcity at that position, I wouldn't be bothered.

From what I gather, very few scouts expect him to hit in pro ball. If the Reds want to collect athletic, glovesy shortstops with questionable bats, then I'm much more comfortable going the Carlton Daal/Cory Thompson route. There's no reason to invest a high pick and a fat bonus in that kind of player.

Rojo
05-08-2014, 02:51 PM
- I would need to be strapped to a table and gagged to prevent me from drafting Monte Harrison if he was on the board at #19. I'm not saying he's a sure thing or the obvious pick, but I so want the stud he could be. Though I'd be shocked if he got past the Royals at #17 (Harrison lives in a KC suburb).

Certainly a Jimbo pick. Ten years ago I'd be all over it. Back then a tools guy like a Glenallen Hill or a Mark Whiten had a good chance of being impactful. But the grounds are shifting quickly; I'd heavily scrutinize bat-on-the-ball skills.

M2
05-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Certainly a Jimbo pick. Ten years ago I'd be all over it. Back then a tools guy like a Glenallen Hill or a Mark Whiten had a good chance of being impactful. But the grounds are shifting quickly; I'd heavily scrutinize bat-on-the-ball skills.

Or you could go more modern: Giancarlo Stanton, Mike Trout, Yasiel Puig. It doesn't always work out, but Harrison does come sprinkled in a certain amount of stardust. Supposedly Harrison's doing a pretty good job of hitting this spring. Gatewood and Gettys are the two who are dropping due to bat-on-ball issues.

Rojo
05-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Or you could go more modern: Giancarlo Stanton, Mike Trout, Yasiel Puig. It doesn't always work out, but Harrison does come sprinkled in a certain amount of stardust. Supposedly Harrison's doing a pretty good job of hitting this spring. Gatewood and Gettys are the two who are dropping due to bat-on-ball issues.

If a guy can hit, he can hit. My point was that toolsy guys with second-tier hit-tools aren't going to play like they could a few years ago. I'm not saying that's the case with Harrison.

M2
05-08-2014, 05:25 PM
If a guy can hit, he can hit. My point was that toolsy guys with second-tier hit-tools aren't going to play like they could a few years ago. I'm not saying that's the case with Harrison.

I actually think the world is kinder to those guys now. Pitchers are throwing so hard now, they're knocking the bats out of guys' hands. Plus, without everyone being on the juice, it takes real muscle to power the ball over the fences on a consistent basis. In the past decade, the NL slashline has dropped from .263/.333/.423 to .248/.312/.388. Players with fast twitch reflexes and prodigious biceps are at least equipped to fight back. The reality is very few players in today's game have first-tier hitting skills.

What roid ball seemed to give hitters was more power and slightly quicker swings. It changed guys like Rafael Palmeiro from something like Darin Erstad into something more like Eddie Murray. Take away the chemical booster seat and we're back to sheer athleticism providing the value adds beyond pitch recognition and swing mechanics. Giancarlo is a perfect example. He does not have a perfect swing, but he has a fast, violent swing that overpowers a lot of pitches. He fell into the second round (pick #76) because he got written off as a Glenallen Hill wannabe in some circles. Now he's a bit of a prototype.

lollipopcurve
05-08-2014, 05:29 PM
From what I gather, very few scouts expect him to hit in pro ball. If the Reds want to collect athletic, glovesy shortstops with questionable bats, then I'm much more comfortable going the Carlton Daal/Cory Thompson route. There's no reason to invest a high pick and a fat bonus in that kind of player.

If he's really good with the glove, he's a rarity. And defense at that position plays -- or will play, more and more in the future. I don't know enough about the player to really lobby for or against taking him. Maybe he's a great baserunner and a great kid, maybe not. Maybe the Reds' Latin shortstops coming out of the DSL are legit, maybe not. (I'm not sold on Thompson at the moment.) My POV is that if there's a true SS with good athleticism and other positive qualities, the hit tool is not a deal maker/breaker, given the scarcity in the organization and the industry.

PepperJack
05-08-2014, 06:12 PM
MLB.com's Jim Callis answers some mailbag questions about the draft and more.

Includes a couple of notes of interest to Reds fans.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/pipeline-inbox-who-will-white-sox-draft-first?ymd=20140508&content_id=74770502&vkey=news_mlb

Benihana
05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Love all the Draft chatter - been waiting for it all Spring!

FIRST ROUND (#19)
Trea Turner SS
Touki Toussaint RHP
Brandon Finnegan LHP
Sean Newcomb LHP

SANDWICH (#29)
Max Pentecost C
Jacob Gatewood SS/3B
Forrest Wall 2B
Marcus Wilson OF
Monte Harrison OF

SECOND ROUND (#55?)
Justus Sheffield LHP
Mac Marshall LHP
Ti'quan Forbes SS
JJ Schwarz C

While this list still pretty much stands for me, I'm actually starting to have questions about Trea Turner. Still wouldn't be upset with the pick, but not sure he'd be my number 1 target anymore. If Touissant and Newcomb were both off the board, I'd be OK with it- but I might target those two first. Maybe Harrison too.

Finnegan is also starting to make me nervous, given the short stature, high effort delivery and already having injury concerns. I would add Jeff Hoffman (now that he has fallen backwards) to my wish list at 29, and wouldn't be all that upset if we took him at 19.

Still would LOVE any of those four guys at 55. Forbes and Sheffield especially.

M2
05-08-2014, 08:19 PM
If he's really good with the glove, he's a rarity. And defense at that position plays -- or will play, more and more in the future. I don't know enough about the player to really lobby for or against taking him. Maybe he's a great baserunner and a great kid, maybe not. Maybe the Reds' Latin shortstops coming out of the DSL are legit, maybe not. (I'm not sold on Thompson at the moment.) My POV is that if there's a true SS with good athleticism and other positive qualities, the hit tool is not a deal maker/breaker, given the scarcity in the organization and the industry.

The glove tool is easy to find. Throw a rock in Venezuela or the Dominican or Curacao. I'm not sold on Thompson either, but he's got everything Ramos supposedly has and he only cost a 5th round pick and $368k. I don't mind going with glovesmiths at SS, but not at #29. That's a pick where you should be looking for impact players, which means some sort of hitting ability is required. Far as I can tell Josh Morgan is better at pretty much everything. My SS list consists of Gordon, Turner and Morgan, then it ends (at least for higher picks). Forbes is being considered a 3B in some circles.

The Matt Bush comparisons Ramos is getting scare me, particularly because they seem accurate.

lollipopcurve
05-08-2014, 08:31 PM
The Matt Bush comparisons Ramos is getting scare me, particularly because they seem accurate.

If he's getting Matt Bush comps, I'd be stunned if he goes inside the top 50.

M2
05-08-2014, 11:23 PM
If he's getting Matt Bush comps, I'd be stunned if he goes inside the top 50.

That was the weird thing about Matt Bush, people knew his bat was suspect and he still went #1. Literally, a significant portion of the industry talked itself into thinking that it didn't matter that much if he couldn't hit very well. So I will renew my insistence that the bat matters.

PepperJack
05-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Baseball America's Top 100 draft prospects.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-top-100-draft-prospects-list/

19braves77
05-15-2014, 04:34 AM
I guess I would like to see the Reds take Kodi Medeiros. The crazy movement he has yet to control would be fun to watch nightly in Pensacola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2HfFCez764

RedTeamGo!
05-15-2014, 07:14 AM
I watched Mederois throw 5 pitches - he will pitch in the major leagues.

lollipopcurve
05-15-2014, 09:44 AM
I also like Medeiros, but the mechanics are wacky. High ceiling/low floor.

Benihana
05-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Keith Law's mock draft is out, and he has the Reds selecting Sean Reid-Foley. However his comments are more interesting to me:

Analysis: I've heard them on a pretty broad mix of guys, mostly prep, including Monte Harrison, who is one of the fastest risers late in the spring.

If Touissant, Newcomb, and Turner are all off the board at 19, as they are in this draft, Monte Harrison would be my guy. Brandon Finnegan is another guy that would interest me, although I'm a bit wary of his stature, mechanics and health questions.

19braves77
05-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Scout take on Kodi from BP:

Waiakeia HS (HI) LHP Kodi Medeiros
"Every amateur prospect has question marks. Mike Trout had question marks in 2009 and that's why he fell all the way to 25. Medeiros isn't flawless, but he is a rare talent and somebody is going to reap the benefit of organizations picking in front of them dwelling on the little things that they don't seem to mind about a lot of other guys."

M2
05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
If Touissant, Newcomb, and Turner are all off the board at 19, as they are in this draft, Monte Harrison would be my guy.

Harrison's tantalizing. I still will be in shock if the Royals pass him at #17 - local kid, huge ceiling. Along similar lines, wonder if the Reds are hoping score Cam Varga with the #59 pick?

As for the Reds' top pick, I'd be pretty happy with Pentecost.

Benihana
05-15-2014, 08:54 PM
As for the Reds' top pick, I'd be pretty happy with Pentecost.

Hoping for Pentecost or Forbes at 29 but wouldn't be terribly upset with either at 19.

lollipopcurve
05-16-2014, 07:41 AM
Harrison's tantalizing. I still will be in shock if the Royals pass him at #17 - local kid, huge ceiling.

Yeah, although maybe Bubba Starling will be all they need for local high ceiling guys.

Of course that's unfair to Harrison, and he does look hard to pass on at that point. I like his swing. RH power plus athleticism -- I think there's a good chance he goes before the Royals -- somebody could see Byron Buxton in him.

Rojo
05-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Of course that's unfair to Harrison, and he does look hard to pass on at that point. I like his swing. RH power plus athleticism -- I think there's a good chance he goes before the Royals -- somebody could see Byron Buxton in him.

Is he going to remind them of Bo?

lollipopcurve
05-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Is he going to remind them of Bo?

Yes, good point. It'll be Bubba/Bust camp vs Bo/Boom camp.

dougdirt
05-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Baseball America has up their mock draft 2.0 today. http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2014-draft-preview-rodon-remains-atop-mock-draft-2-0/

The 19th pick remains the same with RHP Sean Reid-Foley. The 29th pick however has changed.

29. REDS: Some scouts consider Wall, the Florida prep second baseman, to be the best pure hitter in the class, college or high school. He’s likely to become the highest-drafted high school second sacker ever.
Projected Pick: 2B Forrest Wall

mdccclxix
05-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Cool name anyway. Forest Wall.

Max Pentecost and Touki Toussant are out ahead of him though.

PepperJack
05-16-2014, 06:52 PM
MLB.com has a new mock draft out today too. I think it's only from Mayo.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mock-draft-pitchers-aplenty-in-first-round?ymd=20140516&content_id=75655476&vkey=news_mlb

He has the Reds taking:

19. Reds: Derek Hill, OF, Elk Grove HS (Calif.)
In an ideal world, one of the college hitters mentioned above will fall to here, but if not, Cincinnati has interest in this NoCal high school talent, whose father scouts for the Dodgers.

and,

29. Reds: Spencer Adams, RHP, White County HS (Ga.)
Adams jumped up the boards with a big spring, showing sharper stuff coming from a very athletic frame. Cincinnati took high school pitchers in the first round in 2011 and '12.

PepperJack
05-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Somewhat interestingly, Mayo has the guy BA projects to the Reds, going as the very next pick after them.

Reid-Foley to Tampa at 20, and Wall to Texas at 30.