PDA

View Full Version : Stephenson to the DL

texasdave
06-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Jesus Adame was activated from the DL today and Robert Stephenson took his place. Looks like no All-Star Game for Stephenson.

Oh yeah, he went on to the DL because of a strained left hamstring.

Superdude
06-12-2013, 11:06 PM
I've never been more afraid to click anything in my life. It wouldn't have hurt to throw a hamstring in the title Dave!

texasdave
06-12-2013, 11:13 PM
I've never been more afraid to click anything in my life. It wouldn't have hurt to throw a hamstring in the title Dave!

What's life without a little suspense? :laugh:

JayBruceFan
06-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Weird. Saw him yesterday and he didn't look like he was having any trouble walking. Maybe they are promoting him and didn't want him in the AS game?

mth123
06-13-2013, 06:23 AM
I'm guessing this is a way to limit the innings a bit. He's already pitched more innings than last year (I know he probably had some innings in extended spring that aren't counted). At 66.2 now, my guess is they'd lke him to finish with something in the 130 to 140 range and this skips a couple starts and any All Star innings. He has had a little over 100 IP in Dayton now split over two seasons. I wonder if a promotion is due.

dougdirt
06-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Weird. Saw him yesterday and he didn't look like he was having any trouble walking. Maybe they are promoting him and didn't want him in the AS game?

Doubtful.

I heard about the injury a day before anything was announced, so it seems that they wanted to wait and see how it was the next day before making a move.

Edd Roush
06-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Doubtful.

I heard about the injury a day before anything was announced, so it seems that they wanted to wait and see how it was the next day before making a move.

So you doubt this is a phanton injury? Am I correct in assuming this kind of injury will not effect Stephenson long-term?

redsof72
06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Stephenson is most definitely hurt. Has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that he is hurt.

Edd Roush
06-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Stephenson is most definitely hurt. Has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that he is hurt.

redsof72, is there concern that this will be a lingering problem and will significantly hinder Stephenson's development?

klw
06-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I just hope they give him extra time to heal the injury and get the leg strengthened. Leg injuries can throw off a pitcher's delivery and lead to an arm injury if mishandled.

dougdirt
06-14-2013, 04:37 PM
redsof72, is there concern that this will be a lingering problem and will significantly hinder Stephenson's development?

Why would it? It is a hamstring, not something in his arm.

Edd Roush
06-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Why would it? It is a hamstring, not something in his arm.

That's what I figured. I just figured I would ask redsof72 in case he wanted to share.

Red Raindog
06-14-2013, 06:29 PM
What's life without a little suspense? :laugh:

Well you are out of my will (again)

:D

redsof72
06-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Torn hamstring. They will let it heal completely, and then with a pitcher, he goes on a throwing program. No timetable. A month would not be a surprise. Terrible luck. He was dealing.

It had been interesting for the last couple of starts to hear scouts debate what would happen if he had gone straight to the bigs, which was not going to happen, but still prompted hypotheticals.

His last start, he did not throw a fastball under 96, topped out at 100, and one scout told me he put his slider down as a 70 (that's 70 on the scout's rating scale, not 70 mph). Just for reference, a 70 tool is considered to be a tool typical of somewhere between a franchise player and a perennial all-star. And that's his second best pitch.

A different scout told me the only player in baseball he would trade Stephenson for right now was Trout. You can take that for what it's worth...just a guy talking.

texasdave
06-14-2013, 07:43 PM
How common is that for a pitcher to tear their hamstring while pitching? I don't think that I have ever heard of that before.

dougdirt
06-14-2013, 07:48 PM
How common is that for a pitcher to tear their hamstring while pitching? I don't think that I have ever heard of that before.

I am pretty sure it didn't happen while he was pitching, but doing his other in between start activities.

PuffyPig
06-14-2013, 07:55 PM
A different scout told me the only player in baseball he would trade Stephenson for right now was Trout. You can take that for what it's worth...just a guy talking.

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

But I hope he's right.

redsof72
06-14-2013, 07:55 PM
That is correct. He suffered the injury while doing his running between starts. Pitchers have a program, foul pole to foul pole at speed, certain number of reps.

redsof72
06-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Stephenson is a guy who is known to be a very hard worker, very serious-minded about doing his running, keeping his legs strong. Stays on the program without needing to be told to get his work in.

Tough break...he'll be back.

JayBruceFan
06-15-2013, 01:06 AM
So how did it happen? Did he catch a cleat? Slip? Or was it just a freak accident?

Steve4192
06-15-2013, 11:04 AM
So how did it happen? Did he catch a cleat? Slip? Or was it just a freak accident?

Probably didn't stretch / warm up properly.

That is usually how I wind up with a hammy pull.

OnBaseMachine
06-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Reds top prospect Robert Stephenson won't be getting rushed back. Might miss up to three weeks. Being very cautious with his strained hammy.

Stephenson was 4-0 last six starts, 38.2 ip, 5 BB, 50 K, 0.93 ERA.

Dayton manager Jose Nieves said no word on call-up, but said he feels Stephenson could go to AA (Pensacola) and pitch well after last month.

https://twitter.com/bj_bethel

dougdirt
06-21-2013, 07:58 PM
I will put it out there: Stephenson was going to be promoted to Pensacola after the All-Star game. He was told about it. Then the injury happened. Unless he comes back and performs poorly, expect him to finish the year in Pensacola after a few "warm up" starts with Dayton.

lollipopcurve
06-22-2013, 09:23 AM
I will put it out there: Stephenson was going to be promoted to Pensacola after the All-Star game. He was told about it. Then the injury happened. Unless he comes back and performs poorly, expect him to finish the year in Pensacola after a few "warm up" starts with Dayton.

I think redsof72 was the first to mention this possibility -- Jocketty must have liked what he saw in Dayton. It's exciting. Hopefully he comes back at full strength and can earn his way to AA. They have to be careful not to rush him to Cincy, though, as they did with Homer.

Tony Cloninger
06-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Probably didn't stretch / warm up properly.

That is usually how I wind up with a hammy pull.

Tear? Strain? Which one is it. How can you tear a hamstring from just regular work outs, unless this is typical Reds luck. A strain I can see but a tear?

texasdave
06-22-2013, 10:33 AM

Do you think they just want to keep him out of the offensively-leaning California League? Why wouldn't the team give him a handful of starts near his home so his family and friends could watch him? It's not a big deal.

dougdirt
06-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Do you think they just want to keep him out of the offensively-leaning California League? Why wouldn't the team give him a handful of starts near his home so his family and friends could watch him? It's not a big deal.

I can't say for certain about why they would skip him over the California League, but from watching him this season especially the last 6 weeks, there simply wasn't something for him to work on there. Granted I honestly feel the same way about AA. When he is throwing the ball in the strikezone, the results are going to be there no matter where he was at.

As for getting him near his home.... Bakersfield is certainly closer than any other stop, but it is still 4.5 hours away in a car. I am sure that some friends/family would road trip that, but it isn't like a kid from Cincinnati skipping over Dayton either.

redsof72
06-22-2013, 12:18 PM
The hamstring terminology...from trainers I have talked to...any strain is actually a tear. The magnitude of the tear will vary, but the term "tear" is the correct term for a damaged hamstring. It can tear to a point where you are out for months (Reggie Jackson on crutches at the 1972 World Series) or tear to a point where you are out for a few weeks.

Stephenson is hoping to be back in a game sometime in the July 4-9 range.

redsof72
06-22-2013, 12:22 PM
The point Doug makes is valid. When you are throwing 96-100 with a great breaking ball and a very good change...California League hitters are not going to do any more with that than Midwest League hitters.

This is a rare player at this point. Enjoy it.

Take care of that elbow and shoulder, Mr. Stephenson.

Tony Cloninger
06-22-2013, 12:31 PM
The hamstring terminology...from trainers I have talked to...any strain is actually a tear. The magnitude of the tear will vary, but the term "tear" is the correct term for a damaged hamstring. It can tear to a point where you are out for months (Reggie Jackson on crutches at the 1972 World Series) or tear to a point where you are out for a few weeks.

Stephenson is hoping to be back in a game sometime in the July 4-9 range.

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

bellhead
06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Sounds like it a matter of time with him building up his arm strength/innings before we see him in the Nati..

MikeS21
06-22-2013, 03:03 PM
So, those of you who are little more knowledgeable about scouting, how would scouts rate Stephenson's fastball, slider, and change on the ratings scale? Someone mentioned his slider at 70 (that may be a bit generous). What about the fastball and change?

On a completely different note, is the scouting scale too subjective? Obviously, one scout can rate differently than other scouts. But how hard would it be to get a general idea of the pitch ratings of say the top 15-20 pitchers in the Reds' minor leagues?

dougdirt
06-22-2013, 03:10 PM
So, those of you who are little more knowledgeable about scouting, how would scouts rate Stephenson's fastball, slider, and change on the ratings scale? Someone mentioned his slider at 70 (that may be a bit generous). What about the fastball and change?

On a completely different note, is the scouting scale too subjective? Obviously, one scout can rate differently than other scouts. But how hard would it be to get a general idea of the pitch ratings of say the top 15-20 pitchers in the Reds' minor leagues?

Stephenson has an 80 fastball. I would say his breaking ball is a 60 or 70 depending on who you ask. The change up is a 50.

As for finding someone qualified to give you pitch ratings on the Top 15-20 Reds pitchers..... Probably not many out there who can do that. Even pro-scouts haven't seen everyone this year, so the guys qualified to do so right now are all probably working for the Reds in the development field.

MikeS21
06-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Stephenson has an 80 fastball. I would say his breaking ball is a 60 or 70 depending on who you ask. The change up is a 50.

As for finding someone qualified to give you pitch ratings on the Top 15-20 Reds pitchers..... Probably not manyijack the out there who can do that. Even pro-scouts haven't seen everyone this year, so the guys qualified to do so right now are all probably working for the Reds in the development field.
Thanks for the information. I am assuming that 50 is average.

I do not want to hijack this particular thread, but I do find this subject fascinating. I may start a new thread, dealing with the ins and outs of scouting. Perhaps we can get some input by folks who may have actual scouting experience to weigh in.

dougdirt
06-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the information. I am assuming that 50 is average.

I do not want to hijack this particular thread, but I do find this subject fascinating. I may start a new thread, dealing with the ins and outs of scouting. Perhaps we can get some input by folks who may have actual scouting experience to weigh in.

Yes, 50 is Major League average.