PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Updates: Friday 6/14/2013

texasdave
06-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Louisville and Norfolk played a twinbill.

Game 1: Daniel Corcino with a fair start. Showed some improvement. 5IP 3H 3R 3ER 3 4K. Yohan Pino finished things up with two scoreless frames.

Denis Phipps went 2-3, 2 doubles, 2 knocked in.
Corky was perfect at the plate. Singled, doubled, walked and drove in a run

Louisville takes the first game: 5-3

Pitcher's duel in the nightcap.

Armando Galarraga goes five scoreless, giving up just three hits. Kevin Whelan with a virgin sixth. And newest Bat, Zach Duke gets the save. He threw a 1-2-3 inning, striking out one.

Louisville could muster just one hit but it was enough. Jason Donald doubled and scored the game's lone run.

Louisville 1 Norfolk 0.

Louisville gets one hit off of Jair Jurrgens. But it turns out to be enough.

texasdave
06-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Pensacola falls to Mobile 3-1.

Ryan Dennick was a step up from solid. 7IP 6H 2R 2ER 1BB 8K. Chris Manno tossed a shutout inning.

Tucker Barnhart doubled in four trips to the plate and scored the only Wahoo run. Devin Lohman singled twice.

Ex-Reds' farmhand, Mark Serrano, got the victory.

Mobile 3 Pensacola 1.

texasdave
06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Bakersfield topped Modesto.

James Allen notched his fifth victory with a nice outing. 7IP 5H 2R 2ER 2BB 4K. Pat Doyle struck out five Modestos in two innings to earn the save.

Juan Silverio did the heavy lifting with a single, double and three rib eyes.
Steve Selsky went 2-3. He doubled, singled, walked, scored once and brought home a run.
Yorman Rodriguez went 1-3 and drew a walk. He scored a couple of times.

Blaze 5 Nuts 3.

texasdave
06-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Dayton used a big inning to defeat South Bend, scoring five in the sixth.

Nick Travieso seems to be getting the hang of things. 5IP 4H 1R 1ER 2BB 2K.
Mike Saunders gave up a run in two innings in his Dragons' debut.
Alejandro Chacin made things interesting late.
Sean Lucas came on to strike out the only batter he faced to garner the save.

Sammy Diaz went 3-4 with a walk. He had a double, scored once and plated a run.
Jesse Winker had a walk and a knock (9) in four at-bats. The knock left the yard. He scored once and ribbied twice.
Seth Mejias-Brean continues to be on fire. He singled, went yard, scored twice and drove in a run.
Junior Arias seems to be a bunch of numbers on the scoresheet a lot. He homered (7) in three trips, walked, stole a base (35), scored a run and batted in three.

Dayton 7 South Bend 4.

texasdave
06-15-2013, 11:55 AM
DSL Rojos fell to the DSL Nationals.

The pitchers walked 10 and that's never good.

Rubicondo, Gonzalez and Burgos with two hits apiece. Rubicondo doubled. The other two tripled. Gonzalez scored twice. Burgos drove home three.

DSL National 8 DSL Rojos 6.

texasdave
06-15-2013, 12:00 PM
DSL Reds thump the DSL Padres.

Junior Arias held serve in his stint on the mound. 6IP 2H 0R 0ER 1BB 8K.
Jairo Martinez with the gone-but-not-forgotten three-inning save. He struck out five.

Francisco Guerrero with three hits.
Michael Beltre went 2-3 with two walks. He also doubled and scored twice.
Miguel Mendez with two hits and a walk.
Jose Siri with a 2-5 effort. He scored once and knocked in a run.

DSL Reds 9 DSL Padres 0.

Benihana
06-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Anyone else want to see more K's out of Travieso? Doesn't really indicate top notch stuff...

Steve4192
06-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Anyone else want to see more K's out of Travieso?

Eventually?

Sure.

But I am not terribly worried about it right now. He still seems to be getting his bearings in his first exposure to full-season pro ball. The jump from the Arizona League to the Midwest League is substantial. If August rolls around and he is still under 5 K/9, then I'll get worried. At this point, I'm satisfied that he is able to keep his head above water, no matter how he is doing it.

dougdirt
06-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Anyone else want to see more K's out of Travieso? Doesn't really indicate top notch stuff...

That isn't what it indicates at all. It could indicate that. Or it could indicate that he is inconsistent with his stuff. Or that he is fastball heavy. Or that his location is off. Or that he is tipping his pitches and guys know what is coming.

People seem to forget just how inexperienced he is. Most guys pitching in the Midwest League as teenagers have been starting pitchers for years and years. Travieso is in his second year as a starting pitcher in his entire life.

lollipopcurve
06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Or that he is fastball heavy.

Never stopped Cingrani from racking up the Ks, from Billings to Cincinnati.

Travieso is likely not deceptive with the fastball. I'd also guess his secondary stuff is embryonic, as noted.

Long way to go. At least he's getting outs.

dougdirt
06-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Never stopped Cingrani from racking up the Ks, from Billings to Cincinnati.

Travieso is likely not deceptive with the fastball. I'd also guess his secondary stuff is embryonic, as noted.

Long way to go. At least he's getting outs.

Cingrani was also in his 20's with a whole lot more starter innings and experience going on by the time he reached Billings. With that said, I don't think that Travieso is fastball heavy. Simply that his strikeout totals through 3 starts aren't indicative of "stuff".

lollipopcurve
06-15-2013, 04:31 PM
As a 19 year old in the Midwest League, Homer Bailey struck out 125 in 103 innings. Homer didn't have a whole lot more than a fastball back then. I see Travieso in the same mold -- heavily reliant on the fastball because the secondary stuff is all a work in progress. But it appears to me that there was a measure of dominance in Bailey's stuff that is lacking in Travieso's at this early juncture.

It's true that Travieso hasn't been a starter for long. But he had last year in high school, followed by stints in the AZL and instructionals, then all of spring training this year. The possibility exists that as a starter in pro ball he doesn't have the ceiling that Bailey always seemed to project. It remains a possibility that for Travieso to flash big stuff he'll have to be in the pen (as some project him to end up there). The ball has always come out of Homer's hand very easily. May not be the case with Travieso.

All conjecture. But I'm pretty much always in the "show me" mode with a draftee. It doesn't take much, but as of yet I haven't seen enough flash from Travieso to get me genuinely excited about him as a prospect. Not down on him -- it's a good sign the Reds have him in Dayton -- just not highly enthusiastic at this precise moment about what he might be.

Steve4192
06-15-2013, 04:59 PM
As a 19 year old in the Midwest League, Homer Bailey struck out 125 in 103 innings.

Not every prospect can be Homer Bailey. There is a reason that Homer was widely considered one of the top two pitching prospects in the game by the time he arrived in the majors. Holding anyone to that standard is unreasonable.

There are plenty of damn solid pitchers in the majors who were 'meh' as teenagers in their first taste of full-season pro ball. Johnny Cueto for one. He was getting lit up to the tune of a 5.02 ERA at Billings when he was Travieso's age. It takes some guys longer than others for everything to click.

dougdirt
06-15-2013, 06:29 PM
As a 19 year old in the Midwest League, Homer Bailey struck out 125 in 103 innings. Homer didn't have a whole lot more than a fastball back then. I see Travieso in the same mold -- heavily reliant on the fastball because the secondary stuff is all a work in progress. But it appears to me that there was a measure of dominance in Bailey's stuff that is lacking in Travieso's at this early juncture.

It's true that Travieso hasn't been a starter for long. But he had last year in high school, followed by stints in the AZL and instructionals, then all of spring training this year. The possibility exists that as a starter in pro ball he doesn't have the ceiling that Bailey always seemed to project. It remains a possibility that for Travieso to flash big stuff he'll have to be in the pen (as some project him to end up there). The ball has always come out of Homer's hand very easily. May not be the case with Travieso.

All conjecture. But I'm pretty much always in the "show me" mode with a draftee. It doesn't take much, but as of yet I haven't seen enough flash from Travieso to get me genuinely excited about him as a prospect. Not down on him -- it's a good sign the Reds have him in Dayton -- just not highly enthusiastic at this precise moment about what he might be.

You clearly never watched Bailey pitch in Dayton. He had one of the better curveballs around.

Have you seen Travieso pitch?

lollipopcurve
06-15-2013, 07:05 PM
You clearly never watched Bailey pitch in Dayton. He had one of the better curveballs around.

Have you seen Travieso pitch?

You're right -- he had that big 12-6 curve.

I have not seen Travieso pitch. Those who have have not seen much (SSS). Just in show me mode. He hasn't flashed enough for me yet. Gotta do more than be a #1 pick attended by reports of a big fastball. Lotta HS righthanders with that profile have amounted to nothing.

dougdirt
06-15-2013, 07:08 PM
You're right -- he had that big 12-6 curve.

I have not seen Travieso pitch. Those who have have not seen much (SSS). Just in show me mode. He hasn't flashed enough for me yet. Gotta do more than be a #1 pick attended by reports of a big fastball. Lotta HS righthanders with that profile have amounted to nothing.

So you haven't seen him, but state that he is overly fastball reliant?

lollipopcurve
06-15-2013, 07:43 PM
So you haven't seen him, but state that he is overly fastball reliant?

I could be wrong. You're welcome to provide facts or opinions to the contrary, barrister.

Fastball has been the calling card. Secondary stuff has been described more in terms of needing development and consistency than anything. So, I assume he's fastball reliant. Will welcome more information, because I'm someone who is willing to change his opinion as more facts emerge.