PDA

View Full Version : Reds to be "Sellers" next month?

Pacman Fever
06-27-2013, 01:47 AM
I think it's becoming obvious that a 3rd place team that responds to being 3 1/2 games behind the two front-runners (and responds with a two hit effort) isn't quite "World Series Caliber". With that being said, (& with the farm system looking it's weakest in years), let's take a look at what exactly we "have to sell":

1st Base - Votto = signed to 1 of the most ridiculous contracts in the history of ANYTHING, even the Yanks wouldn't touch him.

2nd Base - Phillips = the heart and soul of the team (even if he has been outplayed offensively by Izturis this month lol)

Shortstop - Cozart = Untradeable K machine

3rd Base - Frazier = Untradeable out machine

Catcher - Hanigan/Mesoraco = Hanigan has become a limp-wristed bum (untradeable), and we totally "missed the boat" on trading Mez (compared to last year, we'd only get peanuts for him)

Left-Field - Paul/Heisey/Robinson/Ludwick = you couldn't get anything but extreme fringe prospects for these throwaways

Center-Field - Choo = now it gets interesting. At the trade deadline Choo could very well still be worth a blue-chipper to a contender (heck, ask Arizona if we can please have DiDi back)

Right-Field - Bruce = Signed for a while on a rather "team friendly" contract. He is a K machine, so if someone wanted to offer a mega package we should atleast consider, but he probably stays

Bench - Hannahan/Izturis = Should both be playing in the Indy Leagues

Starting Pitchers

1. Cueto = Has proven quite injury prone in these last 9 months, should definitely consider an incredible package for him

2. Bailey = Everyone says this guy has "turned the corner", but to me he still looks like a mess. Would love to get 1 (or 2) TOP Prospects for him

3. Latos = the very best player on this team. He IS "The Franchise"

4. Arroyo = I'd take a bag of chips at this point, but his contract is so back-loaded (through 2020?) nobody would even give us that for him

5. Leake = has grown from a lowlife criminal/shop-lifter into quite a quality young man this year (plus has been rather impressive on the mound). I say we keep him around for awhile

6. Cingrani = he looks like a keeper, infact so much so that we should be starting him right now (if the bullpen wasn't such a frickin' joke)

Bullpen

1. Chapman = while he's much more like Rob Dibble than Johnny Franco, he's still one of the best we've seen around here in a while. There are still rumors that he may sign elsewhere in '16, so if offered a mega package, I'd say we should atleast consider it

The Rest (Broxton/Marshall/Hoover/Parra/Simon/LeCure/Masset/Partch) = perhaps someone would atleast give us a couple bucks for these guys (of course we'd just use the cash to throw at keeping Votto in town for yet another 30 years)

So, with all that in mind, are there any Top Prospects out there that you guys have your sights set on? Do you think that I have under/over-valued any of our guys?? Discuss: :beerme:

gfas
06-27-2013, 02:02 AM
I don't think you understand the contract implications of trading most of the players you brought up. I also don't think you understand what situation a team would have to be in to sell off its players... let alone selling off young players who are either controllable or who are early in team friendly deals.

gilpdawg
06-27-2013, 03:10 AM
There's so many things wrong with this post I'm not even going there.

06-27-2013, 03:30 AM
I think the Reds should trade Blinky and Inky, but keep Clyde :cool:

Larkin Fan
06-27-2013, 08:02 AM
The sky is falling.

bounty37h
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Hmm, I don't predict many likes for this thread.

RedlegJake
06-27-2013, 10:04 AM
I could listen to a reasonable well thought out thesis on why the Reds should be at least partial sellers, moving 1 or 2 key pieces to add players and prospects that still give them a shot this year while really boosting next year and the year after. (See the Chapman to Detroit thread for the gist of this type idea of "selling"). Your analysis is remarkably juvenile however. If this thread posted to ORG you'd get lambasted and pilloried. Please...try to rethink your proposal and extend us a different yet shrewd rreason for becoming more seller than buyer...like maybe appearing to be sellers but actually buying - more gain in young hopefuls and their collective talent than the veteran talents relinquished. What the media calls selling needn't really be so. But just fireselling for future years alone and punting with a 5 game wc lead and less than 5 out before July 1st and calling most of the Reds worthless is less than a quality post my friend.

reds44
06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
You do realize the Reds are 5 games up on a playoff spot, right?

Red Oak
06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
This is nonsense. If anything they should try whatever they can to pick up a decent bat for the bench. Hanahan is unbelievably bad IMO. If we had someone who could hit like a pro that could sub for Fraizer (cause that kid needs a break) it would go a long way IMO. With all the runners left on base lately the difference in one guy being productive would be significant.

The starting pitching is the best it's been in years. When the bullpen gets healthy things will look up.

Ludwick could be that spark as long as they are still in the chase when he makes it back. And with their pitching, they should be....although the Cards and Pirates need to cool off. Looks as if the Cards are starting to come back to earth a bit losing 3 of 4. The Pirates pitching is off the charts right now. Takes all the pressure off their offense.

There is too much potential here to be selling the farm. I can't imagine anyone in the front office is even considering it.

Jmiller21kg
06-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Sellers? I don't think the Reds have hit their stride yet. I think they should try and get another bat by the deadline or even next winter. Maybe use somebody like Bailey as trade bait with Cingrini, Stephenson in the wings (and I would rather sign Latos to a LTD)

Rock of Truth
06-27-2013, 04:22 PM

Dallas, is that you ??

miamiredskin
06-27-2013, 05:54 PM
yellow fever makes one delirious.

wastedtime
06-27-2013, 06:08 PM
It's a bit early to be "selling" isn't it?

Kiko
06-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Pacman Fever is really Jeffrey Loria

Tony Cloninger
06-27-2013, 11:01 PM
I think it's becoming obvious that a 3rd place team that responds to being 3 1/2 games behind the two front-runners (and responds with a two hit effort) isn't quite "World Series Caliber". With that being said, (& with the farm system looking it's weakest in years), let's take a look at what exactly we "have to sell":

1st Base - Votto = signed to 1 of the most ridiculous contracts in the history of ANYTHING, even the Yanks wouldn't touch him.

2nd Base - Phillips = the heart and soul of the team (even if he has been outplayed offensively by Izturis this month lol)

Catcher - Hanigan/Mesoraco = Hanigan has become a limp-wristed bum (untradeable), and we totally "missed the boat" on trading Mez (compared to last year, we'd only get peanuts for him)

Left-Field - Paul/Heisey/Robinson/Ludwick = you couldn't get anything but extreme fringe prospects for these throwaways

Center-Field - Choo = now it gets interesting. At the trade deadline Choo could very well still be worth a blue-chipper to a contender (heck, ask Arizona if we can please have DiDi back)

Right-Field - Bruce = Signed for a while on a rather "team friendly" contract. He is a K machine, so if someone wanted to offer a mega package we should atleast consider, but he probably stays

Starting Pitchers

1. Cueto = Has proven quite injury prone in these last 9 months, should definitely consider an incredible package for him

2. Bailey = Everyone says this guy has "turned the corner", but to me he still looks like a mess. Would love to get 1 (or 2) TOP Prospects for him

4. Arroyo = I'd take a bag of chips at this point, but his contract is so back-loaded (through 2020?) nobody would even give us that for him

5. Leake = has grown from a lowlife criminal/shop-lifter into quite a quality young man this year (plus has been rather impressive on the mound). I say we keep him around for awhile

6. Cingrani = he looks like a keeper, infact so much so that we should be starting him right now (if the bullpen wasn't such a frickin' joke)

Bullpen

1. Chapman = while he's much more like Rob Dibble than Johnny Franco, he's still one of the best we've seen around here in a while. There are still rumors that he may sign elsewhere in '16, so if offered a mega package, I'd say we should atleast consider it

The Rest (Broxton/Marshall/Hoover/Parra/Simon/LeCure/Masset/Partch) = perhaps someone would atleast give us a couple bucks for these guys (of course we'd just use the cash to throw at keeping Votto in town for yet another 30 years)

So, with all that in mind, are there any Top Prospects out there that you guys have your sights set on? Do you think that I have under/over-valued any of our guys?? Discuss: :beerme:

Welcome to the board Pirate Fan or cardinal Fan. Who knows. Most likely cardinal due to the arrogance but a little short of a load of bricks this side of delusional.... It may mean he's a Pirate fan.

720 PeteRoseWay
06-27-2013, 11:08 PM

Starting Pitchers

Bullpen

Breath into a paper bag man.

It's June 27.

Goose
06-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Pacman is the poster child for the 50 post rule to the ORG.

KC2135
06-28-2013, 11:50 PM
We do not sell, every team goes through a funk. As it stands we are a wildcard team. We all know you just have to get in, and anything can happen. Plus who's to say the Cardinals and Pirates aren't about to hit their slumps. I don't think we need to be buyers either, just get healthy.

xsteve1
06-28-2013, 11:57 PM
I'd look at putting Choo on the block. The dude has hit a wall.

KC2135
06-29-2013, 01:02 AM
I'd look at putting Choo on the block. The dude has hit a wall.

Agreed, and I think Robinson has made a few outfielders despensible

Red Swagger
06-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Chapman, Hanigan and Corcino should have been traded last winter @ the meetings, the Reds always FAIL to realize when a players trade value has reached its peak. Plus the Choo trade never should have occurred. You keep Stubbs and Didi. Then this winter, you package Bailey, Cozart and Heisey and get whatever you can. I would DFA Hannahan and Izturis and call up HRod and Soto right now

Tony Cloninger
06-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Agreed, and I think Robinson has made a few outfielders despensible

Robinson has not made anyone expendable. He has been a bright spot in/on a bad bench....but he is no starter. He would be exposed within a week as a decent bench player.

traderumor
06-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Starting Pitchers

Bullpen

So, with all that in mind, are there any Top Prospects out there that you guys have your sights set on? Do you think that I have under/over-valued any of our guys?? Discuss: :beerme:It's cryptic, but I see what's going on here. Welcome to the Board, Dallas!

KC2135
06-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Robinson has not made anyone expendable. He has been a bright spot in/on a bad bench....but he is no starter. He would be exposed within a week as a decent bench player.

He has been playing pretty steady lately, and in my opinion he is better than Hi-C

Pacman Fever
06-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Alright....How much more pitiful does this troop have to perform before all the homers on this page actually recognize what's happening here? This team simply is not WS caliber. We're already in 3rd + 5 games back. Will it really take being behind the Cubbies before you all "clue in"? It's time to sell.

lidspinner
06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
When you put that much time into a post and don't make a comment worth reading, well then you need to start rooting for the Pirates.

Pacman Fever
06-30-2013, 07:27 PM
When you put that much time into a post and don't make a comment worth reading, well then you need to start rooting for the Pirates.

Here's a comment worth reading. I'm a gambling man. I am worth right around $480K right now (house/vehicles/bank accounts/etc.) I just used the trusty little online calculator: I will bet (at a rate of 7 to 1) that the Reds WILL NOT win the WS this year. This means my $480K vs. ANYBODY'S $68,571......my sister is a registered state of Ohio notary.........any offers?? Oh, and if NOBODY even considers taking me up on this offer....then you are all admitting.....IT IS TIME TO TEAR DOWN AND REBUILD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Here's a comment worth reading. I'm a gambling man. I am worth right around $480K right now (house/vehicles/bank accounts/etc.) I just used the trusty little online calculator: I will bet (at a rate of 7 to 1) that the Reds WILL NOT win the WS this year. This means my $480K vs. ANYBODY'S $68,571......my sister is a registered state of Ohio notary.........any offers?? Oh, and if NOBODY even considers taking me up on this offer....then you are all admitting.....IT IS TIME TO TEAR DOWN AND REBUILD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bold part is one of the most wildly illogical sentences that can be constructed in the English language (or in any language, for that matter). It is the kind of words one would expect from someone standing on a soapbox on the street corner, in urine stained pants.

MillerTime58
07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I'd look at putting Choo on the block. The dude has hit a wall.Just like we should've traded Bruce back in May?

MillerTime58
07-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Alright....How much more pitiful does this troop have to perform before all the homers on this page actually recognize what's happening here? This team simply is not WS caliber. We're already in 3rd + 5 games back. Will it really take being behind the Cubbies before you all "clue in"? It's time to sell.An NFL mentality is a bad thing to have when cheering on an MLB team.

KYBatsFan
07-01-2013, 11:32 AM
It's a marathon, not a sprint, etc etc etc.

I would agree that THIS team isn't WS "caliber"...but the team as it stood on opening day WAS. Let's see what happens if/when a healthy bullpen emerges, and what happens at left field. As for Choo, etc - you can't sustain what he was doing the first 6 weeks. That's video-game dreamland stuff. He's in a slump, but that doesn't sustain either. As for Bruce, we all know he's streaky.

lidspinner
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Who last year at this time thought the giants were World Series contenders? If you raise your hand then your a giants fan. Or how about the cardinals the past few years? Get to the playoffs and anyone can get hot, just ask billy hatcher.....so yes the reds are playoff caliber so that makes them World Series contenders. Get to the playoffs and anything can happen, that's all reds fans are asking for.

REDREAD
07-05-2013, 01:40 PM

This is kind of a silly offer. I don't want to see anyone on this board get completely wiped out financially if the Reds win the world series.

Also, to be fair, if the Reds win the division, they really only have a 1 in 8 shot to win the WS.
If they win the wildcard, it's roughly 1 in 16.
7 to 1 odds heavily favors you.

Today the Reds are only 3.5 out of first, and only 1.5 behind the Cardinals.
They would be a wildcard team if the season ended now.
To tear down this team would not be a smart move.

Beer&Bourbon
07-05-2013, 02:24 PM

Really? Firstly, no one cares what you value yourself at. Secondly, this is an internet board so no one believes you anyway. Third, that offer is in your favor regardless and individuals not willing to gamble away $70K doesn't mean they're admitting anything. This team is doing well and will continue to maintain pace in this division. We're only 3.5 games behind Pitt right now having won the 3 game series against the Giants and setting up to face the Mariners and the Brewers. I think we'll be sitting fine going into the All Star break.

RedsBaron
07-07-2013, 07:38 AM
While I wouldn't make the Reds the favorites to win the NL pennant, if the season ended today they would be in the playoffs. With a pitching staff headed by Latos and Bailey they would have a chance. Come October, the Reds could be a much stronger team if some of their players are healthy.
Favorites? No.
Contender? Yes.

Bob Sheed
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Here's a comment not worth reading. I'm not a gambling man. I am worth right around -$68,571 right now (underwater mortgage/student loans/bank account/etc). I just used the trusty little "pain and agony of my finances" calculator. ...my sister isn't a registered notary, but she could pretend to be one, if that's what you're in to.

I'll bet my -68,571 against your $480K, right now, winner take all. I say the Reds will win the series in 4 games. If I win, I get your 480K. If you win, you get my mountain of debt and regret. So you see, it is really win/win.

And if you don't take this offer, then you are admitting.....IT IS NOT TIME TO TEAR DOWN AND REBUILD !!!!!111111

OneManBand
07-10-2013, 12:08 PM
If the Reds are in fact sellers then that would override everything that has been preached over the last few years. This team is known for staying put at the deadline.. I'd expect the same. Look for moves in August as usual.