PDA

View Full Version : Will Billy Hamilton get called up this year?

Benihana
06-27-2013, 02:47 PM
After all, the guy DOES have 5 HR

fearofpopvol1
06-27-2013, 03:33 PM
If we're making a prediction on how he has played to date, I would not call him up. Why start the clock? An OBP of .302 just isn't going to cut it.

Obviously, he can improve the rest of the season, but it seems pretty clear as of now he is not ready for The Show and won't be to start next year.

Edd Roush
06-27-2013, 03:35 PM
I just don't see Billy getting the call since he is not on the 40 man roster. If he was tearing up AAA, I could see the argument, but I just don't see the Reds adding him to the 40 man roster now before they need to.

Joseph
06-27-2013, 03:39 PM
I'd say its possible. Not to start the clock so to speak, but in order to show him what its like to be in the bigs. That way when he starts next year in AAA, he'll have a taste and sort of know what he needs to do.

reds44
06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
The question would be is he more useful on a playoff roster than Izturis, Hannahan, or an extra pitcher?

I would say yes, for his speed alone.

Steve4192
06-27-2013, 03:49 PM
I think he'll be called up as soon as Louisville's season is over, for two reasons:

1. He might be useful in the playoffs as a pinch-runner / defensive replacement.

2. It gives him time to work with major league instructors and get acclimated to the big leagues.

medford
06-27-2013, 04:18 PM
A couple of things to remember....unless they've changed since I learned them last year.

If he's brought up to the big leagues, but never sent back to AAA, he will not use an option. So in theory, they could call him up Sep 1 (give or take a day depending on injury and what you want to do w/ a potential playoff roster), keep him up the rest of the season (which you would do anyways) then still retain all 3 options.

If Billy needs to be optioned back down the minors each of the next 4 seasons, then we probably won't regret waiving him all the much in season 4. If he's not ready to be a full time player by then, then he's nothing more than a 5th outfielder/pinch runner buy with limited value.

I say yes, call him up on Sep 1 give or take a day each way depending on injuries/playoff roster implications then decide to start him off in the bigs next year, or option him back to AAA for more seasoning.

NeilHamburger
06-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Yes. Not so much as a complete player, but as a pinch runner and possible defensive replacement. I think they want him on the playoff roster to use in that role.

I also think there is a good chance he starts 2014 in AAA if he doesn't significantly improve his hitting. So, I'm not saying he's brought up for the reasons most players are, instead he's brought up for basically one very specific and unique skill.

mth123
06-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Yes and before Sept 1 IMO. Even in a bad year, he is the most ikely minor league position player to come up and give the team a spark. OF PT should be wide open and Hamilton might be a fit in a rotation. He'd be an option as a defensive replacement in CF and the play-off roster will drop to 11 pitchers.

PepperJack
06-27-2013, 09:56 PM
I think he will be up by September, just to get a taste of the big leagues, and to pinch run and things like that.

This season so far reminds me of his Dayton season, with the slow start. I hope he finishes strong like he did that year too.

Spitball
06-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Has Hamilton's defensive game progressed to the point that he is a viable defensive replacement?

wastedtime
06-28-2013, 04:11 PM
If we're making a prediction on how he has played to date, I would not call him up. Why start the clock? An OBP of .302 just isn't going to cut it.

Obviously, he can improve the rest of the season, but it seems pretty clear as of now he is not ready for The Show and won't be to start next year.
Wasn't an option used when he made an appearance in spring training this season? I'm not sure why he wouldn't get a September call up.

dougdirt
06-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Has Hamilton's defensive game progressed to the point that he is a viable defensive replacement?

Yes.

wastedtime
06-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Actually, I'm impressed with the way he's transitioned to CF. I think SS is a distant memory in the Reds' eyes.

TOBTTReds
06-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Yes, and honestly, if he is replacing Choo, he probably could have done it straight from SS. I know that sounds extreme, but I don't mean to make it sound so bad for Choo.

RedsManRick
06-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Put simply, it doesn't matter if he hits a lick, there's no way he's NOT up in September if only to run.

hebroncougar
07-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Watching Hamilton tonight in Columbus. His speed is good golly. Saw him make a throw from the 405 sign in deep LCF here, he's got a real good arm as well. Anyone know how they grade his arm out?

dougdirt
07-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Watching Hamilton tonight in Columbus. His speed is good golly. Saw him make a throw from the 405 sign in deep LCF here, he's got a real good arm as well. Anyone know how they grade his arm out?

50. Average.

Steve4192
07-06-2013, 08:09 PM

He was always considered to have adequate arm strength at SS, but lacked the throwing mechanics. The mechanics for OF throws are a lot simpler, and adequate arm strength at SS translates to better than average arm strength for a CF.

Benihana
07-07-2013, 09:02 AM
I would like to see Hamilton in Cincy by the end of August. Hopefully he can get his OBP up to around .340 between now and then with a strong second half, much like he did in Dayton in 2011.

joshua
07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I hope he has a second half like last year. I still haven't seen him actually play. Hearing the stories about him is always a trip. Inside the park homers, running around the bases in 12 seconds, catching a fly out on the warning track from SS... I'm almost glad I've never seen his exploits. Hearing what he does is like what I imagined it'd be like as a fan before TV or radio and hearing the tales of Cool Papa Bell.

I'd assume, like others, that he'll get called up when rosters expand. I hope he can start drawing walks. With him that could be as good as a double.

Late inning, down a run. LFer hits a double, put in Hamilton as a pinch runner. He will drive pitcher's crazy.

hebroncougar
07-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I hope he has a second half like last year. I still haven't seen him actually play. Hearing the stories about him is always a trip. Inside the park homers, running around the bases in 12 seconds, catching a fly out on the warning track from SS... I'm almost glad I've never seen his exploits. Hearing what he does is like what I imagined it'd be like as a fan before TV or radio and hearing the tales of Cool Papa Bell.

I'd assume, like others, that he'll get called up when rosters expand. I hope he can start drawing walks. With him that could be as good as a double.

Late inning, down a run. LFer hits a double, put in Hamilton as a pinch runner. He will drive pitcher's crazy.

He got to a gapper REAL fast that one hopped the 405 sign in Huntington Park up there in Columbus yesterday. I thought he might have a shot at it when I saw where it was headed (only because of who he is). No one else would have even been close. He had an INF single yesterday, ricocheted off the pitcher and went to the second baseman. Not shot at all whatsoever to throw him out.

REDREAD
07-08-2013, 10:05 AM

I'm jealous.. I went to the game on Friday night.
Of course, the Bats decided to give Billy a day off that day. :(
I did see Corcino. He got beat up early in the game, and then settled down.
I still have hope Corcino can be a BOR arm. I don't really get the Cueto comparisons that were said earlier though. He has a decent breaking ball. His FB is was not that impressive when I saw him.