PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

cumberlandreds
07-04-2013, 06:52 PM
This baseball is from a doubleheader I attended July 1, 1973. I have mentioned on RZ quite a bit so you are probbaly sick of it. Nearly our entire family attended. We sat in the first row of the LF green seats at Riverfront. Davey Lopes hit this HR. The ball hit off my oldest brothers hands and bounced into my brother-in-laws lap. Since I was the geeky little kid in the family at the time they let me I have it. I've kept it all these years and one of those sentmental things I would never give away or sell.

dougdirt
07-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Very cool. I only have one game used baseball. A Sean Casey home run ball from a game I wasn't even at.

nate
07-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Nice story!

reds1869
07-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Very nice! I have one game used ball, from the May 25 game against the Rockies last year.

RANDY IN INDY
07-05-2013, 03:22 PM
The cool thing about that ball is that it is from the time when Spalding made baseballs for MLB. You can't get those anymore! Charles, "Chub" Feeney was the President of the NL then!

cumberlandreds
07-05-2013, 04:47 PM
The cool thing about that ball is that it is from the time when Spalding made baseballs for MLB. You can't get those anymore! Charles, "Chub" Feeney was the President of the NL then!

It is also made from either horsehide or cowhide. I don't remember which one. MLB changed from one to another a couple of years after that.
I was wondering when someone would notice that it is a NL baseball as opposed to a MLB baseball. Things were still separated quite a bit by league in those days.

RANDY IN INDY
07-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm betting it is horsehide as MLB switched to cowhide in 1974 due to a shortage of horses.