PDA

View Full Version : Cool Alberti Chavez "stat"

dougdirt
07-05-2013, 02:25 PM
For those unaware the Reds recently sent 17-year-old Alberti Chavez to Bakersfield from the AZL. He has all of 11 at bats over 4 games (he pinch ran one game). Still, he is the first 17-year-old in the California League since 2007. I just thought that was a cool little "stat".

lollipopcurve
07-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Some may remember a few years ago when the Reds vaulted Didi Gregorius out of rookie ball up to high A to fill a need. When Didi "held his own," as Chavez has done, it was the first sign that he had some interesting potential. Didi wasn't then as young as Chavez is now, but a similar situation nonetheless.

LoganBuck
07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Doug or anyone, what do we know about this guy? Comparison? Tools? Favorites types of pizza?

Before the fun police come, yes we know he is young and in A ball, and is currently a longshot to make the show.

mace
07-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Some may remember a few years ago when the Reds vaulted Didi Gregorius out of rookie ball up to high A to fill a need. When Didi "held his own," as Chavez has done, it was the first sign that he had some interesting potential. Didi wasn't then as young as Chavez is now, but a similar situation nonetheless.

Yep. And in that context, I'm just curious to find out if this was a legitimate promotion or a case of temporary place-holding. Gotta be the latter, it seems. I can't imagine that, as a prospect decision, they would so quickly determine that this kid can fly over Billings and Dayton.

PepperJack
07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Doug or anyone, what do we know about this guy? Comparison? Tools? Favorites types of pizza?

Before the fun police come, yes we know he is young and in A ball, and is currently a longshot to make the show.

The only thing I can find are some DSL stats from last year.

314/356/396 in 159 ABs. He had 11 2B, 1 3B,he walked 12 times, and struck out just 18 times.

So small sample and likely very short term, but I will dream the Reds have a young star #2 hitter until the cold shower of reality kicks in.

PepperJack
07-05-2013, 04:41 PM
For those unaware the Reds recently sent 17-year-old Alberti Chavez to Bakersfield from the AZL. He has all of 11 at bats over 4 games (he pinch ran one game). Still, he is the first 17-year-old in the California League since 2007. I just thought that was a cool little "stat".

Who was the other 17 year old?

dougdirt
07-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Who was the other 17 year old?

Carlos Triunfel.