PDA

View Full Version : We have to talk about Corky

Crumbley
07-22-2013, 11:31 AM
He hit .203/.288/.344 at Louisville as a 37 year old. He has a .563 OPS spanning parts of eleven Major League seasons. Defensively, he's beyond abysmal. I am okayish with whatever intangible mojo he has granting him a slot as the AAA back up. But why/how is he on a MLB roster, particularly a team looking to bring home a World Series? When does this stop? This is the single most maddening thing about the 2013 Reds, Hanigan has been hurt/bad all year, and there hasn't been anyone brought into Louisville. Now, I am not saying the person they'd get would be any good. But I refuse to believe that there isn't anyone out there who could be had for nothing who could beat out Corky Miller. Why settle for historically terrible when there is an opportunity for bad?

reds44
07-22-2013, 11:34 AM
The worst part is the Reds have a catcher in AAA with an .801 OPS this season and a .743 career minor league OPS.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ashley001nev

Crumbley
07-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I kind of assumed Ashley must only have one leg or something for him not to be up. Has anyone seen him play?

Raisor
07-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Corky's mustache trumps all.

wally post
07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
It is such a physical position, it pained me to see him trying to do the job. It's like watching a coach or manager play. I can't imagine the rationale for not having someone younger and more capable.

cumberlandreds
07-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Corky's mustache trumps all.

It's the intimidation factor of the mustache that keeps him with Cincy. :)

Bob Sheed
07-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Another Mustache Curse is the last thing this franchise needs.

Offend the the stache'? 20 years of Marge Part II.

westofyou
07-22-2013, 11:53 AM
He's not a MLB player except as a receiver. He's bad, Craig Tatum bad

IslandRed
07-22-2013, 11:54 AM
The worst part is the Reds have a catcher in AAA with an .801 OPS this season and a .743 career minor league OPS.

I kind of assumed Ashley must only have one leg or something for him not to be up. Has anyone seen him play?

When a 28-year-old catcher with a .743 career minor-league OPS has never gotten the call to the big leagues, the first thing that sprung to my mind was, "he must not look major-league caliber behind the plate even if you squint real hard."

But yes, I agree with the general idea -- if Hanigan's an ongoing injury concern and Corky is what they think the best AAA option is, we need a better AAA option.

BungleBengals
07-22-2013, 11:55 AM
I agree that Corky is not the best option to bring up, but what frustrates me is the options out there in FA.

For those who argue that Corky knows the pitchers, what about Ramon Hernandez? He was with this team from '09-'11 so he caught during the same time frame as Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto, and Leake amongst our SP and he caught Chapman as well.

From what I recall watching him play for us was that he had a decent bat but was slow. However, Corky looks like he has no power and is still slow. Even though Ramon fizzled out in Colorado and LA and in the Toronto minors, his average is better than Corky's and he has power.

Raisor
07-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Let Ramon grow a mustache, then an informed decision can be made

Roy Tucker
07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
And this isn't a new topic. We had this same discussion last season.

I get that Corky's 'stache is cool and he'll make a good manager or coach some day, but he really shouldn't be on this team.

BungleBengals
07-22-2013, 12:15 PM
And this isn't a new topic. We had this same discussion last season.

I get that Corky's 'stache is cool and he'll make a good manager or coach some day, but he really shouldn't be on this team.

Agreed. That is what I am afraid of this season. That they are bring him up for one last hurrah before he retires. I would just hate the reasoning to be that since we are in a possible WS run.

westofyou
07-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Each at bat he takes weakens the club.

He sucks, say it, embrace it... it's a sport not a fashion show, I can swing a dead cat and hit 4 guys in Portland with a great mustache, that and 10 bucks will get you into Heavy Metal Karaoke on Tuesday night and nothing to do with why he should be on the team.

Tom Servo
07-22-2013, 12:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cQsf0rN.png

I was okay when he was brought up earlier in the year...until I saw him play. After that, there's no reason he should haev been brought back. Once a philosopher, twice a pervert.

Captain13
07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
I think part of the reason for Corky is when his time is up in Cincy (for now) he can clear waivers and be removed from the 40-man when he goes back to Louisville. I don't know if that is true for any of the other catchers.

RedsBrick
07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
And what's up with that little ninja move he makes as if he's going to gun someone out who wanders too far off 1st after a pitch?

Corky, one of a few franchise head-scratchers.

Old NDN
07-22-2013, 01:01 PM
When a 28-year-old catcher with a .743 career minor-league OPS has never gotten the call to the big leagues, the first thing that sprung to my mind was, "he must not look major-league caliber behind the plate even if you squint real hard."

But yes, I agree with the general idea -- if Hanigan's an ongoing injury concern and Corky is what they think the best AAA option is, we need a better AAA option.

Doesn't say much for the Reds' organizational depth behind the plate. No catchers in the pipeline?

reds1869
07-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Doesn't say much for the Reds' organizational depth behind the plate. No catchers in the pipeline?

They went all in on Mesoraco and bet on Hanigan staying healthy. Barnhart might be a good big league catcher someday but isn't anywhere near ready. That said I'd definitely take him over Corky.

RedlegJake
07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I'd bring up Ashley and let Barnhart develop. This is simply a case of the old boy network that is still strong as ever in baseball. They are repaying the "good soldier" career with a brief stint. If other options are too expensive or about equal, I applaud that. When the player is over the hill and done, then reward him with a coaching gig or managerial spot in the minors, not a role on a contending squad, especially when the banged up condition of Mes and Hanigan may mean some meaningful playing time. I like Corky, but I wish he'd take a hard look and decide it's time to coach - or that a member of the Reds FO would tell him that.

It's puzzling....the Reds take a hard line not to bring Rolen back because they feel he's done but then they keep Corky hanging around when he is not even half the player at the same point in time.

reds44
07-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Could he be any worse behind the plate than Mes?

AtomicDumpling
07-22-2013, 01:22 PM
And what's up with that little ninja move he makes as if he's going to gun someone out who wanders too far off 1st after a pitch?

Corky, one of a few franchise head-scratchers.

Yeah I chuckle every time he does that. :lol:

remdog
07-22-2013, 01:26 PM
The Reds missed the boat last winter when they let Navaro leave.

Rem

AmarilloRed
07-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Ashley has a career 36% rate at throwing out baserunners. Other than that, I can't think why he's not already on the roster. Well, maybe it 's just Dusty liking the crafty veterans.

Kc61
07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
1. Great thread title. One of the year's best.

2. Reds did have Olivo this spring. He's a major league catcher. But unlike Navarro last year, Olivo wasn't compliant. He left for a major league job elsewhere.

3. As I said in yesterday's game thread, with due respect to Corky who's had a good career as an MLB backup/AAA player, at this stage Walt shouldn't be using him at the big league level. Not on a contending team.

4. Overall, the catcher's spot has been a serious problem this season. The one bright spot is that Mes has had quite a bit of playing time. I'm seeing improvement defensively and I always thought his hitting would come around.

Of the prospects now at the major league level, I'm most hopeful about Mes for a number of reasons.

RedTeamGo!
07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Every time I see Corky Miller in the dugout, up to bat, or behind the plate I get angry.

On second thought, maybe that is a personal problem...

westofyou
07-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Navarro is awesome against LHs, pedestrian against RHs .214/.271/.398in 108 abs

Still trumps Corky.

Kc61
07-22-2013, 01:41 PM

If you Google Ashley, there are articles attesting to his excellent defense. Apparently, he was once named the Rays Organizational Defensive Player of the Year. The articles says he has an excellent throwing arm and lofty minor league caught stealing numbers.

The issues with him seem to be his bat, although he apparently has hit well at Louisville.

It could be that the Reds wanted someone on the forty man roster for very short MLB stints this year, and that was Corky. Also perhaps they wanted major league experience. I guess.

Tom Servo
07-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Would be great to have Navarro, but it only would have made sense on another minor league deal. The Cubs gave him a major league deal. Not much the Reds could do unless they wanted to carry three catchers.

bigfunguy
07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Corky batting is painful....remember in little league when that kid on your team that truly stunk came up and you'd sit there thinking "I hope he doesnt swing at all...our best bet is taking a chance on 4 balls before 3 strikes." That's how I feel watching Corky....and even if he walks there will be a 6 minute delay waiting on him to get to first.

malcontent
07-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Jocketty's all over that once he's back from Machu Picchu.

malcontent
07-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Reds did have Olivo this spring. He's a major league catcher. But unlike Navarro last year, Olivo wasn't compliant. He left for a major league job elsewhere.

AFAIK, he's available and would be a HUGE upgrade.

And AFAIC, Hanoraco shouldn't prevent him from sticking, this time.

March 27, 2013: Released by the Cincinnati Reds.
March 28, 2013: Signed as a Free Agent with the Miami Marlins.
July 5, 2013: Granted Free Agency.

cumberlandreds
07-22-2013, 02:55 PM
I would rather have Matt Treanor. At the very least he would bring along a very good looking wife. :)

Tom Servo
07-22-2013, 03:42 PM
AFAIK, he's available and would be a HUGE upgrade.

And AFAIC, Hanoraco shouldn't prevent him from sticking, this time.

March 27, 2013: Released by the Cincinnati Reds.
March 28, 2013: Signed as a Free Agent with the Miami Marlins.
July 5, 2013: Granted Free Agency.
He also quit on the Marlins.

Wonderful Monds
07-22-2013, 03:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cQsf0rN.png

I was okay when he was brought up earlier in the year...until I saw him play. After that, there's no reason he should haev been brought back. Once a philosopher, twice a pervert.

This was my first thought upon reading the thread title.

IslandRed
07-22-2013, 03:53 PM
If you Google Ashley, there are articles attesting to his excellent defense. Apparently, he was once named the Rays Organizational Defensive Player of the Year. The articles says he has an excellent throwing arm and lofty minor league caught stealing numbers.

The issues with him seem to be his bat, although he apparently has hit well at Louisville.

It could be that the Reds wanted someone on the forty man roster for very short MLB stints this year, and that was Corky. Also perhaps they wanted major league experience. I guess.

After taking a closer look, I see what you mean. His hitting stats are pretty bad up until the last year or two, when the third time around the block/too old for the level phenomenon started kicking in.

Still. If he's good behind the dish, then it's hard to argue he'd be worse.

TRF
07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Corky is too slow to play on my softball team.

You have no idea just how insulting that actually is.

kaldaniels
07-22-2013, 05:26 PM
When I see Corky's name on the lineup card before the game I just feel defeated.

Nothing personal as he's a great baseball man, but I wish the Reds could come up with something better.

RedsBrick
07-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Corky is too slow to play on my softball team.

You have no idea just how insulting that actually is.

Hilarious. Just think about the libations and stories you could tell afterwards, though. Hey, just put him at catcher and he wouldn't have to run!

malcontent
07-22-2013, 05:53 PM
He also quit on the Marlins.
Shows me the man wants to play in meaningful games.

:)

malcontent
07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Nothing personal as he's a great baseball man, but I wish the Reds could come up with something better.
They could. Jocketty would just have to get off his can to make it happen.

DocRed
07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Hey look on the bright side...at least we know Corky is not taking PED's.

NebraskaRed
07-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Hey look on the bright side...at least we know Corky is not taking PED's.

Not unless PED stands for Pancakes, Eclairs, and Donuts.

lollipopcurve
07-22-2013, 06:36 PM
This thread has shaken my confidence in Redszone.

Roy Tucker
07-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Using Corky in games with live ammo is a mark of a budgetarily limited team. Same deal with not getting a LF or plugging bullpen leaks. Walt is a little handcuffed..

Unlike big buck teams like the Yankees go buy someone at the drop of a hat and the budget be damned.

SirFelixCat
07-22-2013, 07:25 PM
They could. Jocketty would just have to get off his can to make it happen.

And he's shown that he will do that, time after time, has he not?

50YrRedsFan
07-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Jocketty's all over that once he's back from Machu Picchu.

Walt's down there praying to the Peruvian Gods for a power LF, 3b, and catcher
that can hit. And the reincarnation of the nasty boys.:laugh:

Raisor
07-22-2013, 07:43 PM
When Corky's mustache gains sentience and takes over the world (think SkyNet but hairier) y'all are doomed.

I welcome our new overlord.

Falcon7
07-22-2013, 09:17 PM

28 WHAT? That can't be right...

forfreelin04
07-22-2013, 10:51 PM
I told my Dad yesterday at the game, "Corky is gonna crank a homer off the Batters Eye and then his mustache is gonna run the bases."

IslandRed
07-22-2013, 11:41 PM
28 WHAT? That can't be right...

Nevin Ashley, not Corky.

Krawhitham
07-22-2013, 11:46 PM

They use Corky because he will clear waivers and can be dropped from the 40 man roster when Ryan comes back. They must believe Nevin Ashley would not clear waivers

M2
07-23-2013, 12:49 AM
As I understand it, there is no player you'd rather sit next to on the bench than Corky Miller. Supposedly he's a spectacular human. As a short term bench anchor, I can see where calling up the universally beloved future manager of the Reds makes some sense.

I bet he rocks in rain delays too.

LexRedsFan
07-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Bruce just made a beautiful throw to the plate and Corky's poor block (IMO) cost the Reds a run.

If it looks like Hannigan's injury will be around the rest of the year, we need to give Ashley a shot or start shopping.

I know this seems reactionary, but it's been in my mind for about a week.

DocRed
07-23-2013, 11:11 PM
As I understand it, there is no player you'd rather sit next to on the bench than Corky Miller. Supposedly he's a spectacular human. As a short term bench anchor, I can see where calling up the universally beloved future manager of the Reds makes some sense.

I bet he rocks in rain delays too.

He would be a helluva guy to have a beer with after the game.....even better if he didn't catch that night.

reds1869
07-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Bruce just made a beautiful throw to the plate and Corky's poor block (IMO) cost the Reds a run.

If it looks like Hannigan's injury will be around the rest of the year, we need to give Ashley a shot or start shopping.

I know this seems reactionary, but it's been in my mind for about a week.

That was some terrible catching technique. Corky is a great guy and will make a fine manager. He is no longer capable of being a big league catcher. It is actually painful to watch because I like the guy so much.

westofyou
07-23-2013, 11:16 PM
That was some terrible catching technique. Corky is a great guy and will make a fine manager. He is no longer capable of being a big league catcher. It is actually painful to watch because I like the guy so much.

It's a technical position, it is so ingrained visually with TV that I believe the position has lost an allure that it had prior. Not that it matters, but I caught for a year in 5th grade, it was something... sitting there looking out at your teammates.

Magical...

Break the magic in pro ball by placing a person who can't get it done and it's a different animal.

Norm Chortleton
07-23-2013, 11:21 PM
CORKY

:beerme:

LexRedsFan
07-23-2013, 11:21 PM
All is forgiven.

I for one welcome our new mustachioed overlord.

reds1869
07-23-2013, 11:23 PM
That was glorious.

DocRed
07-23-2013, 11:27 PM
We are lucky to have Corky on this team. Been saying it all year....:X

Edskin
07-23-2013, 11:39 PM
So, I click on this thread and as I'm scrolling I get a text message from a friend of mine who played in the minors and was from the same general area as Corky in Cali. His text reads:

"Holy crap, Corky is still playing? He was a senior when I was a freshmen."

My friend is 35 years old.

westofyou
07-24-2013, 12:44 AM
We are lucky to have Corky on this team. Been saying it all year....:X

The Reds were lucky they had Bill Plummer on the team back in the day.

Been sayin it for decades

Ghosts of 1990
07-24-2013, 02:30 AM
I'm sorry but you guys have to read this post. Wrote it before corkys last stint began. It's perfect for this thread.

http://diamondhoggers.com/2013/05/10/an-ode-to-corky-miller-the-hacksaw-jim-duggan-of-big-leaguers/

oregonred
07-24-2013, 02:44 AM
This is one I just don't get at all. Why Miller is on this team in a playoff chase is simply beyond me.

sdwagers
07-24-2013, 08:17 AM
This is one I just don't get at all. Why Miller is on this team in a playoff chase is simply beyond me.

Hannigan's hurt and he's an emergency catcher that the Reds can stash in AAA and call upon when needed. He provides relief to Mesaroco as catching is a physically demanding position.

bigfunguy
07-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Hannigan's hurt and he's an emergency catcher that the Reds can stash in AAA and call upon when needed. He provides relief to Mesaroco as catching is a physically demanding position.

....that's kinda the point. You could go out and have open tryouts and probably find somebody better in an afternoon. I get that people like Corky. He's apparently a good clubhouse guy, good with the pitchers, etc etc. He's Crash Davis without the bat. That said, he should be a bullpen coach somewhere and the Reds should bring something more closely resembling a real life MLB backup catcher.

KC2135
07-24-2013, 09:49 AM
....that's kinda the point. You could go out and have open tryouts and probably find somebody better in an afternoon. I get that people like Corky. He's apparently a good clubhouse guy, good with the pitchers, etc etc. He's Crash Davis without the bat. That said, he should be a bullpen coach somewhere and the Reds should bring something more closely resembling a real life MLB backup catcher.

The point is that the Reds know what they are getting with Corky, and know who their two catchers are. If they went out and got somebody new they wouldn't be able to just send them up and down like they can Corky. If we make a move for a catcher it better be someone we want on our MLB roster, and someone we wouldn't mind having over Hannigan or Mes.

Chip R
07-24-2013, 09:56 AM
I took a little nap at the start of the 2nd game and when I woke up they said Corky hit a double earlier in the game. I just thought I was dreaming.

Big Klu
07-24-2013, 10:06 AM
I took a little nap at the start of the 2nd game and when I woke up they said Corky hit a double earlier in the game. I just thought I was dreaming.

A two-run double, at that !

cumberlandreds
07-24-2013, 10:11 AM

You should take more naps. :D

Chip R
07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
So what happened, did the ball fall in a hole?

Norm Chortleton
07-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Hunter Pence robbed him of a double in his next at-bat. I :laugh: when Jim Day said Miller would have had a double "or more."

cumberlandreds
07-24-2013, 11:25 AM

Here's the link to prove it. It was actually a line drive down the first base line. Corky looked a little surprised himself when he reached 2nd base.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29077703&c_id=mlb

Chip R
07-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Here's the link to prove it. It was actually a line drive down the first base line. Corky looked a little surprised himself when he reached 2nd base.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29077703&c_id=mlb

And tired too, I'll bet.

Bob Sheed
07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Corky was awarded a ground rule single.

mth123
07-27-2013, 09:51 AM
So last night Corky went 1 for 2, nailed a runner trying to steal, saved a couple of wild pitches that would have let in a run and made a really good play at the plate to prevent a run from scoring. I'm with the crowd that think's it's time for Corky to start his coaching and managerial career, but if Hanigan is ready to go and Corky is DFAd, that might be a pretty high note to end his big league career on.

Blitz Dorsey
07-27-2013, 12:20 PM
So last night Corky went 1 for 2, nailed a runner trying to steal, saved a couple of wild pitches that would have let in a run and made a really good play at the plate to prevent a run from scoring. I'm with the crowd that think's it's time for Corky to start his coaching and managerial career, but if Hanigan is ready to go and Corky is DFAd, that might be a pretty high note to end his big league career on.

Was thinking the exact-same thing. That would be a good way for him to go out. George Costanza would be proud of him going out on a high note.

He shouldn't even go back to Louisville. He should just end his playing career with last night's game. (If Hanigan is activated today that is. They might wait until the homestand to activate Hanigan.)

For Corky, that would be like going out like John Elway.

PuffyPig
07-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd like Corky to stick around this year to give us a 3rd catcher in September. Allows us to PH Mess early on if we want to if he's not starting.

RedEye
07-27-2013, 12:57 PM
I'd like Corky to stick around this year to give us a 3rd catcher in September. Allows us to PH Mess early on if we want to if he's not starting.

Did you really mean to spell it "Mess" or is that an auto-correct?

kfm
07-27-2013, 01:02 PM
While it is frustrating that he is on the big league team, Dusty's use of him is beyond frustrating. I don't consider myself a Dusty basher but his lineups and his handling of Mesoraco are painful. It took Mes 14 games into the season to get 3 starts. It took Corky a week to get 3 starts. The Corky problem is an issue but it is compounded because our manager refuses to let Mes play everyday and refuses to treat Corky like the player he actually is. Dusty does many things well that are not appreciated by fans but the things he does poorly he does very very poorly and playing Corky the way no other manager would is one of them. Walt is complicit in this too because he knows the way Dusty will use Corky when he puts him on the roster.

Roy Tucker
07-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Someone ought to write a movie script, "The Legend of Corky Miller".

Nice little article about him here... http://blog.pe.com/2013/07/26/column-life-in-minors-beats-alternative/

wheels
07-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Has anyone ever heard Corky talk?

Does he sound like he looks?

I would love to hang out with him for a while. I'm imagining something Kenny Powers esque.

Tom Servo
07-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Has anyone ever heard Corky talk?

Does he sound like he looks?

I would love to hang out with him for a while. I'm imagining something Kenny Powers esque.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq9QL4krdKA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3dHsd02ToQ

wheels
07-27-2013, 05:02 PM
He's awesome!

Raisor
07-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Someone ought to write a movie script, "The Legend of Corky Miller".

Nice little article about him here... http://blog.pe.com/2013/07/26/column-life-in-minors-beats-alternative/

The Legend of Corky Miller's Mustache

reds1869
07-28-2013, 07:25 PM
I heard a great interview with Corky on a local radio show this winter. Such an entertaining, intelligent man.

jojo
07-28-2013, 07:41 PM
I thought Reds fans appreciated intangibles. Corky is invaluable on long road trips. He knows where all of the good restaurants are.

oregonred
07-28-2013, 08:23 PM
I thought Reds fans appreciated intangibles. Corky is invaluable on long road trips. He knows where all of the good restaurants are.

Probably the best deals maybe not the best restaurants. He doesn't have much (if any) bank I would imagine.

But I would love to hang out with Corky for a week on the west coast.

Norm Chortleton
08-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Corky is tweeting about Kentucky moonshine. I'm going to assume he isn't starting tomorrow.

:drink:

Or, should I assume he is starting?

Norm Chortleton
08-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Corky 2-for-2, 2 doubles, 2 rbis. Off the interstate. BA up 52 points today from .167 to .219.

Tom Servo
08-07-2013, 01:38 PM
We have to talk about how awesome Corky is.

westofyou
08-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Headline: Old man Corks fat man with bat

Patrick Bateman
08-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Time to DFA Hanigan?

Chip R
08-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Should this thread be re-titled, "The Burying of Corky Miller"? ;)

Strikes Out Looking
08-07-2013, 01:47 PM
As anyone reading this thread knows I love Corky Miller. Who doesn't love a guy who just keeps playing baseball knowing that the most he'll ever get is to be a bench catcher but every year comes back to the organization. And that mustache is icing on the cake.

RadfordVA
08-07-2013, 01:54 PM
He also knows how to block the plate! The next great stat revolution. Plate blocking independent fielding.

Norm Chortleton
08-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Callaspo knocked out of the game. He should have known better than to challenge Corky.

toledodan
08-07-2013, 02:03 PM
props to the corkster!!!!

RichRed
08-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Callaspo knocked out of the game. He should have known better than to challenge Corky.

He just got taken out by Corknado.

Big Klu
08-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Like sliding into the Great Wall...

"The Great Wall of Corky".

klw
08-07-2013, 02:34 PM
With Hanigan due back and Corky lifted, have we seen the last of Corky or will he return in September? Either way we salute you Corky!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/12495_10152759691505290_807015324_n.jpg

gotta leave on a high note

Gallen5862
08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Could the Reds be thinking about putting Corky on the DL in order to make him post season eligible? If Corky is on the DL August 31 He would be post season eligible plus the Reds could substitute for him on the roster as well. The Reds would be able to call up a catcher now as well and not risk corky being claimed on waivers.

SirFelixCat
08-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Could the Reds be thinking about putting Corky on the DL in order to make him post season eligible? If Corky is on the DL August 31 He would be post season eligible plus the Reds could substitute for him on the roster as well. The Reds would be able to call up a catcher now as well and not risk corky being claimed on waivers.

I like your thinking.

But I think he's just banged up from the collision.

Blitz Dorsey
08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Did Corky get pulled because he got hurt in the collision today, or was that just a straight pinch hit on Dusty's part? I know the other guy got hurt, but didn't think Corky did. Maybe he had some lingering effects and that's why he was pulled?

Krawhitham
08-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Did Corky get pulled because he got hurt in the collision today, or was that just a straight pinch hit on Dusty's part? I know the other guy got hurt, but didn't think Corky did. Maybe he had some lingering effects and that's why he was pulled?

hurt in the collision

_Sir_Charles_
08-07-2013, 03:51 PM
They said right quad contusion during the broadcast. Corky was clearly limping in the dugout before he headed down the tunnel.

hebroncougar
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I didn't get to see the game and saw the PH. I just figured Corky burned through his two oxygen tanks for the game on two doubles and didn't want to chance it.:D

klw
08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Catcher Corky Miller connected on a pair of RBI doubles in back-to-back innings, giving him multiple extra-base hits in a game for just the fourth time in his career, en route to a 6-5 win against Oakland at Great American Ball Park. Those would be Miller's only two at-bats of the game, as he later left with a right quad contusion, but they were enough to help Cincinnati to consecutive wins for the first time since July 24-25 against the Giants and Dodgers.

With the team because of a left wrist injury to Ryan Hanigan, Miller has spent most of the year with Triple-A Louisville. In his 13th season playing professional baseball, the 37-year-old journeyman logged the first two-double game of his career Wednesday.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_08_07_oakmlb_cinmlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=cin

westofyou
08-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Corky Miller is the oldest catcher to start for the Reds since Bob Scheffing in 1951

Kingspoint
08-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Won the game for the REDS today (and Bruce).

Textbook blocking of the plate. Ball or no ball, there was not going to be a run scored. Knocked the guy out of the game.

Way to go Miller!

Blitz Dorsey
08-07-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm enjoying talking about Corky!

Love the trivia from WOY. Oldest catcher to ever start a game for the Reds. (EDIT: Nevermind, on Wednesdays I find it difficult to read. Oldest SINCE Scheffling in '51.)

Wow, would not have guessed that. Me and the Corkster are the same age (37). For some reason I think of him as old (yet awesome) and me as a spry youngster.

More Corky trivia (which I bet many on here already know, but just in case...) his given name is Corky. It's not like it's a nickname. That's hilarious to me. Gotta love it.

Blitz Dorsey
08-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Won the game for the REDS today (and Bruce).

Textbook blocking of the plate. Ball or no ball, there was not going to be a run scored. Knocked the guy out of the game.

Way to go Miller!

If he goes out like that ... what a hell of a way to go out. First two-double game of his career and then blocks the plate like the man's man that he is for a key out. How key? Check the final score.

tomnuetten
08-07-2013, 06:12 PM
They said right quad contusion during the broadcast. Corky was clearly limping in the dugout before he headed down the tunnel.

the mustache canŽt be hurt! it slows him down a little bit => weŽll see less stolen bases from him ;)

08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
If I'm Corky, I'm retiring right now, going out on top, after his best game ever.

DocRed
08-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Corky Miller goes to all fields with XB power like nobody else in baseball...at least for today.

Matt700wlw
08-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Why we love Corky Miller

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130807/SPT04/308070114/Corky-Miller-s-family-sees-him-star-Reds-win

klw
08-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Why we love Corky Miller

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130807/SPT04/308070114/Corky-Miller-s-family-sees-him-star-Reds-win

Great article on Corky. It could have come across as one big cliche after another but instead it was clearly genuine and heartfelt.

Above all else, Corky Miller is a dad. So even though the veteran catcher was struggling to pull on his jeans and limping around with a sore right knee, when son Chance brought him an unopened can of soup, wanting a post-game snack, Miller limped into the players' dining room, leaving behind a pack of cameras and reporters.

"When your kid wants soup, you get him soup," Miller said upon his return.

"He epitomizes what we do as baseball players," said Bruce, who was a month removed from his 11th birthday when the Reds signed Miller as a non-drafted college free agent out of the University of Nevada-Reno. "He's been around forever, he's a grinder, he's a good guy to have on the bench, for him to come out and have a big day is awesome."

It's not inconceivable that Wednesday was the 37-year-old Miller's final big-league game. A journeyman catcher, he not only left the game after the top half of the fifth inning, he knew going into the game that Ryan Hanigan is close to coming back for the Reds. And when Hanigan returns, Miller knows he'll likely be headed back to Louisville to finish the rest of the month with the Bats, that is if he isn't headed to the disabled list.
His family will head back home to Chicago and Miller could be headed back to Louisville, to finish up his 16th season in professional baseball.

"I don't know if they'll be able to see me again, because school's going to start and who knows what's going to happen next year," Miller said. "I go out there every day like it may be my last and try to help the ball club win."

mdccclxix
08-08-2013, 10:09 AM
All seriousness aside, watch this guy round second base - he's fundamentally sound!

46 second mark:

http://wapc.mlb.com/cin/play/?content_id=29499081&topic_id=8877986&c_id=cin

RadfordVA
08-08-2013, 10:18 AM
If I'm Corky, I'm retiring right now, going out on top, after his best game ever.

Could be his best ever. He may have liked this game more at the time. He homered twice and drove in 4. Now his team did not win but it was only his 13th game of his career. He was 25 years old and may have thought, hey I think I can do this and I might be a big leaguer for quite awhile.

Currently yesterday probably meant more cause the team won and he knows how the story has played out of his career. He knows those days were few and far between and appreciates it more than ever.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200110030.shtml

VR
08-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Have to check the record books, but I believe Callaspo is the first person to leave the game to to a contusion from running into someone's mustache.

Kingspoint
08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Ironically, Dionner Navarro, whom I wanted the REDS to pickup (and his .850 OPS) at the deadline, is out now with a quad contusion after a home-plate collision with Chase Utley.

klw
08-30-2013, 01:57 PM
ctrent ‏@ctrent 28 Aug
https://twitter.com/ctrent

Corky Miller is headed to a rehab assignment

cumberlandreds
08-30-2013, 02:09 PM
ctrent ‏@ctrent 28 Aug
https://twitter.com/ctrent

Getting his moustache trimmed? :)

klw
08-30-2013, 02:11 PM

HBP if that counts

Matt Andrews ‏@BatsRadio 17h

#Reds C Corky Miller finishes 1-2, BB, HBP in his first game with Louisville on a ML Rehab assignment. 2-1 Louisville, mid 8. #Bats

klw
08-30-2013, 02:14 PM

Intentional Talk ‏@IntentionalTalk 27 Aug

The @Reds' @Corky_Miller talked about about his mustache, pitching in @MiLB and hitting against Roy Halladay on IT: http://atmlb.com/181o9Zh

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=30063097

wally post
08-30-2013, 02:37 PM
That was awesome

klw
08-30-2013, 06:39 PM
John Fay ‏@johnfayman 4m

Monday Cmiller, Hamilton, soto Monday.#reds

Norm Chortleton
09-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Last 3 PA for Corky all result in 2B hits.

Ghosts of 1990
03-06-2014, 12:35 AM
Couldn't help but think of this thread tonight as I looked up to see who else take a cut where he dropped his hands and popped out into foul territory, first-base side.