PDA

View Full Version : Exciting Offseason

JMac84
10-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Obviously, the excitement started with the hiring of Bryan Price. He seems like a good fit. There are so many other issues the Reds will be dealing with this offseason:

A) What will happen with Choo? He was fantastic for us, but I've seen projections of a possible 6 year $100 mil contract (MLBTR). Can the Reds afford that? Is Billy Blaze ready to take over in CF? We won't know until spring training (if then, even). We'll need to at least have a backup plan.

B) Will BP stay or go? Some think he'll certainly be dealt. Others believe there is no way. I'm really not sure, and I'm also not sure if I want him to be dealt. I think I'm leaning towards yes, as long as we don't just dump his contract for nothing and fail to find a moderately adequate replacement at 2nd.

C) Will we try to move Chapman out of the bullpen? My guess is yes, and I think it's silly not to try. I think Price knows this and will make it happen. Obviously, he won't be able to pitch 200 innings next year. I also think it will be hard to get 200 from either Cueto or Cingrani. This is why I think we make a qualifying offer to Bronson and don't end up trading either Leake or Bailey this offseason. Our pitching depth is easily our biggest strength.

D) Will Walt work some magic for a right handed bat? Two Winters in a row, Walt and his staff have targeted a specific player that they felt the roster needed, and then went out and got that player. Last year, it was a leadoff hitter that could get on base, so they got Choo. The year before that, they wanted a young, controllable front line starter, so they went aggressively after Latos, and got him. Don't expect anything less this year. I imagine they've come up with a few targets and will end up surprising us somehow. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

OneManBand
10-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Not sure about exciting but it sure will make for an interesting offseason. The points you made are very valid. But some more questions would be:

How will the players respond to the new manager? Will he be different then Dusty outside the wristbands and toothpicks?

Will they make the moves mentioned above such as a Phillips trade or Chapman to the rotation and possibly not resign Arroyo and Choo just to see what Price can do with the roster he has? From what I heard the 1st year he's making $800K and next season making $1.2 Million.

Regardless if this team wants to win meaningful games such as playoff games; then they are going to have to stop investing so much money in a setup guy and bench help. Hannahan & Broxton are just names that come to mind.. but the same could be said for overpaying to keep Ludwick and also the production we've got from Marshall based on the contract he's received.

Lewdog
10-28-2013, 11:21 PM
The front office REALLY want Chapman in the rotation. They want to get their moneys worth out of him. I'm not sure of Broxton is still under contract, but if he isn't I could see Hoover slide into that closer role.

RedlegJ
10-28-2013, 11:24 PM
I want them to try Chapman as a starter but I don't trust anyone else closing.

RedlegJake
10-29-2013, 05:25 AM
Broxton is under contract for 7mil in 2014, 9 million in 2015 and a 1million buyout in 2016 (9 mil team option). Possibly the Reds most unmoveable contract at this point. To other teams the risk/reward ratio is just not there. The Reds have to hope Brox can stay healthy for a whole summer - or maybe just dominate until near the deadline so they can unload him then. If Christiani, Partch, Muhammad, Contreras, Manno, Pearl, Walczak, Hayes, Pino and Van Mil can advance and a couple can step up the Reds could easily afford to move him then - and maybe someone would be enticed to take him. Good young bullpen arms close to ready are the one thing the Reds are flush with. Lorenzen is going to be stretched to be a starter- I wouldn't count on him next year.

Chapman to the rotation is something I am curious to see what develops. I feel Chapman really wanted to be in the closer role but was that due to Baker's influence? Will Price push him into the rotation anyway? Will they use his odd contract and his limited usage as a closer along with the return his talent could command as reasons to trade him? He is one of the better chips - relatively reasonable money/incredible talent/replaceable role. Of course chips play well in your own hand, too. Sometimes the best play is just to hold 'em but Walt has to be checking the offers.

If Chapman is dealt or goes to the rotation, JJ Hoover probably is first choice to become the closer, imo. He seems to have the mentality and if Broxton is healthy he would be closer B and righty setup man. JJ has the beard almost ready. Another 12 inches and its a lock.

The BP situation is just weird. Player is given a long term contract. Player immediately beefs about said contract because he wasn't paid first, or paid enough, or lied to or something because the team wanted to sign a vastly more talented teamie first - whatever Brandon. Then player goes off on reporter in highly publicized circus act. Meanwhile player tanks it in the second half. Owner of said player extinguishes matches between his toes and tells GM to trade player. GM tells press player will only be traded if the deal is good for the team. Methinks that is GM-speak for "and at this point even something really Uggla is good for the team" Stay tuned.

Meanwhile longtime Red Bronson Arroyo erstwhile Red Sox fan is suddenly enamored of the Queen City and wants to stay. He hates change. He loves Bryan Price. In a manly way. A pitchers manly way. With many curves. He wants a multi year deal. But wait. Now maybe he would stay because he hates change he loves Price and if they would roll that deferred money and do 2 years maybe well? Fellas? Another curveball? Another soft served off speed pitch? Or just some reporter with too much video game before his too soon deadline getting creative? Because the report I read didn't have an Arroyo quote attached to it. Still, it's an interesting idea because they owe that deferred money anyway - and they could put Leake on the trade table.

And Homer. Oh Bailey. David. Homer. Do you long for the open range. The blue, blue skies of home? Pitching in GABP sucks, I know. Well, really I don't, but I do sympathize. What do the Reds do with you tantalizingly close to being a stud #1 certainly #2 no hitting buckaroo? Give us a sign O great one....then they know whether or not to trade you and your etched, engraved and latigoed saddle for whateer gold they can get from one of the Texas clubs. Yeah, Texas. I'm sure they'll flip a couple golden sirloins our way to bring ya home cowboy. SO really, what do you Profar, Homer?

Johnny Fan
10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
#1: Reds must decide "whom" gets the contract extension between Latos and Bailey. Walt will get one of them done this offseason. IF it was I, then it's Latos hands down, but I think both will be tough to do as both see "HUGE" payday possibilities in FA.

#2: Decide what to do with Chapman. To me it's to late to move his to a SP, so I look to move him, only problem is, he is one of your "show" pieces and it's tough to move one of those, but if the right deal can get done I trade him NOW.

#3: Look for a CF, sorry but Hamilton is not ready for Prime Time and Choo isn't going to be a financial option. See who is out there who can play the position for a season or two, leave Hamilton in AAA for the entire season to improve.

#4: Getting a good hitting coach, change approach at plate and work on better production.

Reds&BuckeyeGuy
10-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Obviously, the excitement started with the hiring of Bryan Price. He seems like a good fit. There are so many other issues the Reds will be dealing with this offseason:

A) What will happen with Choo? He was fantastic for us, but I've seen projections of a possible 6 year $100 mil contract (MLBTR). Can the Reds afford that? Is Billy Blaze ready to take over in CF? We won't know until spring training (if then, even). We'll need to at least have a backup plan.

B) Will BP stay or go? Some think he'll certainly be dealt. Others believe there is no way. I'm really not sure, and I'm also not sure if I want him to be dealt. I think I'm leaning towards yes, as long as we don't just dump his contract for nothing and fail to find a moderately adequate replacement at 2nd.

C) Will we try to move Chapman out of the bullpen? My guess is yes, and I think it's silly not to try. I think Price knows this and will make it happen. Obviously, he won't be able to pitch 200 innings next year. I also think it will be hard to get 200 from either Cueto or Cingrani. This is why I think we make a qualifying offer to Bronson and don't end up trading either Leake or Bailey this offseason. Our pitching depth is easily our biggest strength.

D) Will Walt work some magic for a right handed bat? Two Winters in a row, Walt and his staff have targeted a specific player that they felt the roster needed, and then went out and got that player. Last year, it was a leadoff hitter that could get on base, so they got Choo. The year before that, they wanted a young, controllable front line starter, so they went aggressively after Latos, and got him. Don't expect anything less this year. I imagine they've come up with a few targets and will end up surprising us somehow. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

A) i think choo is all but gone already. No way can reds afford to keep or give him a contract he wants and deserves.

B) I honestly think that BP is gone also. I just sincerely hope they don't kill the roster doing so (ex, uggla).

C) I am with you on this one. Paying him as much as we are paying him is crazy not to at least try and see how he does in a starting role. Worst thing that can happen is he is not meant for it and we try and trade him. But I have faith that price with be there in his corner the whole time, teaching him up. As someone said on here, he is a show piece for this club.

D) I am really optimistic that Walt will have his best offseason as a red this year. Not basing that off anything but a hunch, but i think he will make all the right moves to put this team on the WS track. We are so, so close...

jwertz
10-29-2013, 09:54 AM
#1: Reds must decide "whom" gets the contract extension between Latos and Bailey. Walt will get one of them done this offseason. IF it was I, then it's Latos hands down, but I think both will be tough to do as both see "HUGE" payday possibilities in FA.

#2: Decide what to do with Chapman. To me it's to late to move his to a SP, so I look to move him, only problem is, he is one of your "show" pieces and it's tough to move one of those, but if the right deal can get done I trade him NOW.

#3: Look for a CF, sorry but Hamilton is not ready for Prime Time and Choo isn't going to be a financial option. See who is out there who can play the position for a season or two, leave Hamilton in AAA for the entire season to improve.

#4: Getting a good hitting coach, change approach at plate and work on better production.

My thoughts exactly. The only way I see Choo back in a Reds uniform next season is if Phillips is dealt.

malcontent
10-31-2013, 09:08 PM
The only way I see Choo back in a Reds uniform next season is if Phillips is dealt.
I agree, but it's also possible that both go.

I really think that moving Phillips will be priority #1, but that it won't ensure retaining Choo.

Dwarftree
11-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Getting a good hitting coach, change approach at plate and work on better production.

That imho should be priority #1.

RedlegJake
11-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Choo will not be back. Just my opinion. I am not sure if I want to be wrong or not. Love the guy. But I'm not sure a long contract at the price he'll command is worth it going forward. If he isn't I hope he goes the AL, though or at least another division!

As to the hitting coach - I am not sure how much a coach is going to change guys. If a new coach and Price combo can just alter the approach toward patience and OBP a bit I'll be happy. Moving a couple of the hyper aggressive type hitters and getting guys who are disciplined, patent hitters in the first place would have a much bigger impact.

BP - I wish the FO had moved to squash trade rumors and worked behind the scenes to shop him. Then it would seem less like "well he has to go". I'm not against a trade but it needs to work for the Reds not just be a move to unload salary or unload a player the owner doesn't like.

I'd butter up Latos for an extension because Bailey is probably not staying here. He has stated that he likes Price so maybe but I'd call it a very, very slim maybe. Don't think they can afford both, either. So - shop Bailey but if a good rich deal can't be had then simply keep him and make the QO next fall and get the pick. I'd rather have Homer for another year in a pennant run than 2 or 3 prospects that turn out like the Peavey deal did for the Friars (Richard, Poreda, Carter and Russell - all highly hyped at the time, of which only Clayton Richard gave any value, 2 decent seasons, and he's cooked). Prospects. What can you say? They are so - - - prospective. Now if Homer can fetch a good solid ML bat AND a prospect or two fine. But if there isn't a known quality coming back I'd as soon take the pick and just keep Homer as long as possible.

Old school 1983
11-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Choo will not be back. Just my opinion. I am not sure if I want to be wrong or not. Love the guy. But I'm not sure a long contract at the price he'll command is worth it going forward. If he isn't I hope he goes the AL, though or at least another division!

As to the hitting coach - I am not sure how much a coach is going to change guys. If a new coach and Price combo can just alter the approach toward patience and OBP a bit I'll be happy. Moving a couple of the hyper aggressive type hitters and getting guys who are disciplined, patent hitters in the first place would have a much bigger impact.

BP - I wish the FO had moved to squash trade rumors and worked behind the scenes to shop him. Then it would seem less like "well he has to go". I'm not against a trade but it needs to work for the Reds not just be a move to unload salary or unload a player the owner doesn't like.

I'd butter up Latos for an extension because Bailey is probably not staying here. He has stated that he likes Price so maybe but I'd call it a very, very slim maybe. Don't think they can afford both, either. So - shop Bailey but if a good rich deal can't be had then simply keep him and make the QO next fall and get the pick. I'd rather have Homer for another year in a pennant run than 2 or 3 prospects that turn out like the Peavey deal did for the Friars (Richard, Poreda, Carter and Russell - all highly hyped at the time, of which only Clayton Richard gave any value, 2 decent seasons, and he's cooked). Prospects. What can you say? They are so - - - prospective. Now if Homer can fetch a good solid ML bat AND a prospect or two fine. But if there isn't a known quality coming back I'd as soon take the pick and just keep Homer as long as possible.

I completely agree on all fronts. Especially homer. He may give the reds more value as their pitcher then a draft pick than in a trade for prospects. If he can net big league help in the other hand....

Scotly
11-02-2013, 07:11 PM
This team needs to make some moves. it is painfully apparent based on the last two seasons' endings.

Starting pitching is our foundation. I am not in favor of messing with that.

We have holes all over our line-up. And we are getting another when Choo departs. That is a huge concern for us. Choo was all-star calibur last year.

There are so many combinations. We need to keep Choo. Trade Bruce for a right handed bat. He can't be counted on. He hits 500 for a week, then three weeks of strikeouts. He would be my choice.

Phillips' mouth, it seems, has worn out his welcome with the owner. I look for him to be moved.

Catcher, RF, 3B, and SS are all places we can up-grade. A left-handed set-up pitcher would not hurt.

Old school 1983
11-02-2013, 08:41 PM
This team needs to make some moves. it is painfully apparent based on the last two seasons' endings.

Starting pitching is our foundation. I am not in favor of messing with that.

We have holes all over our line-up. And we are getting another when Choo departs. That is a huge concern for us. Choo was all-star calibur last year.

There are so many combinations. We need to keep Choo. Trade Bruce for a right handed bat. He can't be counted on. He hits 500 for a week, then three weeks of strikeouts. He would be my choice.

Phillips' mouth, it seems, has worn out his welcome with the owner. I look for him to be moved.

Catcher, RF, 3B, and SS are all places we can up-grade. A left-handed set-up pitcher would not hurt.

Trading Bruce would be nuts unless the return is massive. His ups and downs drive me nuts, but he can carry the team on a hot streak and his D is elite in right. Choo isn't a necessity especially considering his age, the length and cost of his potential contract and the fact that most of our top prospects are outfielders. finding a way to replace his production in the lineup is a priority. Let's spend that choo money to extend members of our pitching staff. As long as that's strong, we will be in the picture come seasons end. Marshall is our left handed setup guy, although I wouldn't mind another. Phillips has worn out his welcome, but I believe his trade value is still very good. Use him and combine with say a Frazier or maybe a pitcher to get a plus right handed bat.