PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips wins gold glove for 2013

mbgrayson
10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Per Mark Sheldon's blog... (http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/10/29/phillips-wins-fourth-gold-glove/)

4th win for BP.... Congrats!

TSJ55
10-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Just watched the ESPN announcement. Good work BP

reds1869
10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Congrats to BP.

Krawhitham
10-29-2013, 08:40 PM
whatever, he can think he big mouth for the award

He was 4th in DWAR at 0.4. Ellis had 1.6, Barney had 1.5, and Walker had 1.3
He was 5th in FPCT at .987 those above him had .993, .992, .989, & .989
He was 5th in Range Factor at 4.72, those above him had 5.14, 4.99, 4.74, 4.72

Kc61
10-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Congrats to Phillips. I didn't think this was his best defensive year, but he's been amazing defensively over a period of several seasons.

McCarver says Brandon is the best defensive second baseman he's seen. It's that kind of praise that carries over to win awards.

M2
10-29-2013, 08:50 PM
If your reaction to a guy from the team you nominally root for winning an award is to grouse, you're doing it wrong.

mdccclxix
10-29-2013, 08:52 PM
BP saying all the right things:

“Wow, hard work pays off. It’s an honor to have the NL managers and coaches select me to join this elite group of the league’s best defenders. If it weren’t for my Reds coaches, staff and teammates, especially Zack Cozart, for sticking with me even though I wasn’t 100 percent toward the end of the season, this wouldn’t have happened,” Phillips said. “I take pride in my defense and try to go out there to make the pitching staff feel comfortable while they’re on the mound. I like being the pitcher’s best friend. People overlook defense these days. Offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships. My family and I are happy to win this award again, and this one belongs to my city, Cincinnati.”

MoneyInTheBank
10-29-2013, 08:54 PM

In all honesty, Barney probably should have won it, but Phillips should be no lower than #2.

I don't think cherry picking 3 stats is really representative of his defensive presence.

Tom Servo
10-29-2013, 09:03 PM
That could help the ol trade value.

Congrats BP! :beerme:

DocRed
10-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Congrats BP!...waits for all BP hater losers to chime in.

dubc47834
10-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Holdiday season?

Grinch...Scrooge. Man a dude from the team you root for wins a very prestigious award and you are sour grapes...lol

Ironman92
10-29-2013, 09:36 PM
I think I like his answer even more than his defense this year.

I think his range really declined the last 80-100 games of the season but I'm ok with him winning this year. It was him or Barney.

lollipopcurve
10-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Congrats to BP. Phenomenal defensive stylist.

M2
10-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Congrats to Phillips. I didn't think this was his best defensive year, but he's been amazing defensively over a period of several seasons.

That's really the key. Phillips is consistently elite with the glove.

Strikes Out Looking
10-29-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm surprised they didn't give it to Barney. It's really hard to bend in that purple dinosaur suit.

MWM
10-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Love it. So fun to watch play defense.

RollyInRaleigh
10-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Best defensive 2B I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Congrats BP!

M2
10-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Best defensive 2B I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Congrats BP!

I'd still give that to Pokey. He was like an alien playing 2B.

That said, Phillips is ridiculously good.

Chip R
10-29-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm surprised they didn't give it to Barney. It's really hard to bend in that purple dinosaur suit.

He didn't hit as well as he did last year.

nmculbreth
10-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Congrats to BP. Phenomenal defensive stylist.

I think that's a very good description for BP. There are players with better advanced metrics but BP plays defense with an elegance that sets him apart from most of his peers.

MWM
10-29-2013, 10:28 PM

Pokey may have been better, but Brandon plays with flare that Pokey didn't have. There's no one I've ever enjoyed watching play defense more than Scott Rolen, but BP is pretty close even though the 2 styles are completely different. Watching Junior in his prime play center field was like watching great theatre, too.... so effortless.

When I played I was a defensive guy..... which is another way of saying I was a very average hitter. :D So my favorite players are pretty much always the great defensive players (Frazier being the exception. He became a favorite the second I heard Sinatra come on when he was coming to the plate. How can you not love a guy who plays Sinatra for his intro?). I don't want BP traded because he adds to the aesthetics of watching the Reds for me. Offense is boring. Give me a great glove and I'll tune in much more often. I'm really hoping Billy Hamilton can become the next great glove in Cincinnati.

RedsManRick
10-29-2013, 10:39 PM
I don't think he was the best defensive 2B, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt his trade value.

Roy Tucker
10-29-2013, 11:46 PM

Pokey's peak came and went so quickly. But that '99 Reds up the middle troika of Pokey, Barry, and Mike Cameron was the best I've ever seen. Ground balls went to die there and Cameron cleaned up anything that got by them. It was like 3 greyhounds after a bone.

BP makes the wow play.

BluegrassRedleg
10-29-2013, 11:50 PM
The weird thing about the GG is that last year, I've never seen a 2B have so many spectacular plays on an almost daily basis as Brandon Phillips, and he didn't win the thing.

This year, I thought he made some spectacular plays again, but there were more miscues than you're used to seeing. I had written him off for the award, and he wins it.

Go figure.

Kc61
10-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Pokey's peak came and went so quickly. But that '99 Reds up the middle troika of Pokey, Barry, and Mike Cameron was the best I've ever seen. Ground balls went to die there and Cameron cleaned up anything that got by them. It was like 3 greyhounds after a bone.

BP makes the wow play.

I'll take Brandon as a second baseman over almost anyone. That said, Pokey's range was in the unreal category. Astonishing range.

Reds have had some tremendous defensive infielders.

fearofpopvol1
10-30-2013, 12:44 AM
If the voters are going to get it wrong, I'd rather the award go to a Red. Congrats, BP!!

Mutaman
10-30-2013, 01:24 AM
Kudos to BP. Very disappointed in the Trent incident, and he sure disappeared down the stretch, but his defense was consistently outsatnding all year long, as usual.

GAC
10-30-2013, 04:26 AM
He didn't hit as well as he did last year.

It's one of the reasons I laugh at the GG award anymore.

It's about a golden glove (not bat).

RedsBaron
10-30-2013, 06:20 AM
I'll take Brandon as a second baseman over almost anyone. That said, Pokey's range was in the unreal category. Astonishing range.

Reds have had some tremendous defensive infielders.

Subjectively Brandon is the best fielding Reds second baseman I have ever seen, and just to be in the discussion is significant given the Gold Glovers and slick fielders the Reds have had: Tommy Helms, Joe Morgan, and Pokey Reese, among others. The Reds have not had a consistent tradition of great starting pitchers but a great glove at second has been the norm.

Cant Touch This
10-30-2013, 07:31 AM

DWAR is about as reliable as FSP (Fart smell potency) and a groundout to Frazier at third base actually has a negative impact on Phillips range factor. I'm not trying to start another metrics debate, but these particular defensive metrics, while perhaps useful to some degree, do not tell the whole story.

I didn't watch Barney or Ellis play enough to know how they compare to Phillips, but the managers and coaches see these guys play on a daily basis. Phillips might have some issues keeping his mouth shut at times, but dat dude can flat out pick it.

texasdave
10-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Brandon was the better second baseman, only because Pokey was actually a short rightfielder.

dubc47834
10-30-2013, 08:17 AM
DWAR is about as reliable as FSP (Fart smell potency) and a groundout to Frazier at third base actually has a negative impact on Phillips range factor. I'm not trying to start another metrics debate, but these particular defensive metrics, while perhaps useful to some degree, do not tell the whole story.

I didn't watch Barney or Ellis play enough to know how they compare to Phillips, but the managers and coaches see these guys play on a daily basis. Phillips might have some issues keeping his mouth shut at times, but dat dude can flat out pick it.

:jump::jump::jump:

HeatherC1212
10-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Congrats to Brandon!! :)

cumberlandreds
10-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Phillips is the best defensive 2nd baseman I have ever seen. He certainly deserves this award and deserved a couple more in the past.

cumberlandreds
10-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Do you root for the Reds? Never understood slamming your own player when he wins an award. :confused:

lollipopcurve
10-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Pokey may have been better, but Brandon plays with flare that Pokey didn't have.

Agreed. Pokey was better, IMO. But BP turns almost every chance into a performance. The combination of personality, talent and superb preparation.

Norm Chortleton
10-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty sure I lead RZ in FSP. Possibly by a wide margin.

:mooner:

Larkin Fan
10-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Congrats to BP on the 4th Gold Glove. Well deserved. There isn't a player in the game that I enjoy watching play defense more than Brandon Phillips at this point. With Phillips, we, as Reds fans, have become accustomed to one thing. Always expect the unexpected when a ball is hit in the general direction of the right side of the infield. Every game, he'll have at least one play that will make the masses go "wow."

WildcatFan
10-30-2013, 12:37 PM
In all honesty, Barney probably should have won it

Well, he plays for the Cubs, so I'm sure there will be a Darwin Award in his future.

Wonderful Monds
10-30-2013, 12:51 PM

I wonder which one of them has the better GWAR.

westofyou
10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure I lead RZ in FSP. Possibly by a wide margin.

:mooner:

I'm the leader in STP and I have the sticker on my bedroom door (next to my wacky packages stickers)

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/scripophily/stpcorporationvig.jpg

TOBTTReds
10-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Brandon was the better second baseman, only because Pokey was actually a short rightfielder.

BP played PLENTY of short rightfield because of Griffey in 07 and 08.

Red Rover
10-30-2013, 01:53 PM
That's a SWAG gold glove, right?

SunDeck
10-30-2013, 01:53 PM
This pretty much sums up my own feelings about Brandon Phillip's fielding.

Larkin Fan
10-30-2013, 03:25 PM
This pretty much sums up my own feelings about Brandon Phillip's fielding.

Yup. It's a bird, it's a plane, IT'S SUPERDATDUDE! Unparalleled.

Kingspoint
10-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Congratulations, BP!

Well-earned.

Kingspoint
10-30-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm the leader in STP and I have the sticker on my bedroom door (next to my wacky packages stickers)

Right next to the Chiquita banana football helmet stickers...

Number_Fourteen
10-30-2013, 07:43 PM

This, opposite your bedroom door sitting on the nightstand:

http://www.minddevelopmentanddesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/1973-vintage-fat-albert-w-cosby-kids-lunchbox.jpg

Revering4Blue
10-30-2013, 08:26 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GtgE2873K54/T8AxaeiJj7I/AAAAAAAAATs/_JdUXIzPua4/s1600/beastball_small_smaller_images.jpg

Tom Servo
10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Those football stickers and beastball cards look awesome, I want.

BluegrassRedleg
10-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Do you root for the Reds? Never understood slamming your own player when he wins an award. :confused:

To those wed to the metrics argument, it's more important than anything. They can't pull away from the dogma.

gilpdawg
10-31-2013, 02:38 AM
DWAR is about as reliable as FSP (Fart smell potency) and a groundout to Frazier at third base actually has a negative impact on Phillips range factor.

I'm not sure about some of the older metrics.. but for either method of calculating dWAR currently, a grounder to third would have ZERO effect on that.

gilpdawg
10-31-2013, 02:42 AM
To those wed to the metrics argument, it's more important than anything. They can't pull away from the dogma.

I'm happy for him, but I would have went with Barney. BP has visibly lost a step. He's still great, just think he's no longer the best. My eyes match what the numbers say. I remember several occasions thinking "younger BP would have made that play" as the ball passed by just barely out of reach.

Norm Chortleton
10-31-2013, 03:19 AM
It's pretty interesting that only 4 of the 8 position players who won Gold Gloves in the NL were ranked the best at their position by Fangraphs. Some of the GG winners were ranked way down the list according to Fangraphs.

GG winners are listed below. Number in parentheses denotes where they were ranked by Fangraphs. Names in right-hand column were rated No. 1 at their positions by Fangraphs.

Pos — (FG#) Gold Glove winner FG No. 1

C — (2) Yadier Molina Russell Martin

1B — (4) Paul Goldschmidt Anthony Rizzo

2B — (2) Brandon Phillips Darwin Barney

SS — (1) Andrelton Simmons Andrelton Simmons

3B — (1) Nolan Arenado Nolan Arenado

LF — (3) Carlos Gonzalez Starling Marte

CF — (1) Carlos Gomez Carlos Gomez

RF — (1) Gerardo Parra Gerardo Parra

Who do you trust: Players and managers or the numbers?

MoneyInTheBank
10-31-2013, 06:43 AM
It's pretty interesting that only 4 of the 8 position players who won Gold Gloves in the NL were ranked the best at their position by Fangraphs. Some of the GG winners were ranked way down the list according to Fangraphs.

GG winners are listed below. Number in parentheses denotes where they were ranked by Fangraphs. Names in right-hand column were rated No. 1 at their positions by Fangraphs.

Pos — (FG#) Gold Glove winner FG No. 1

C — (2) Yadier Molina Russell Martin

1B — (4) Paul Goldschmidt Anthony Rizzo

2B — (2) Brandon Phillips Darwin Barney

SS — (1) Andrelton Simmons Andrelton Simmons

3B — (1) Nolan Arenado Nolan Arenado

LF — (3) Carlos Gonzalez Starling Marte

CF — (1) Carlos Gomez Carlos Gomez

RF — (1) Gerardo Parra Gerardo Parra

Who do you trust: Players and managers or the numbers?

It's hard to argue with the fangraphs selections but I'm not sure that the defensive metrics are QUITE there yet to be able to determine the awards solely on numbers.

gilpdawg
10-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Well, at least in the NL, (I don't watch a whole lot of AL games, so I'm not as well versed), but all the guys that fangraphs and the voters agreed on were pretty clearly the best, so I don't think anything really changed. Anybody who watched baseball this year could tell you, numbers or no, that Simmons, Arenado, Gomez, and Parra were the best at their positions. I actually thought Arenado may not win because he's not that well known, so good on them.

MikeThierry
10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
To me, the people who argue against Phillips winning it seem to be picking nits on the issue. Barney was probably the best defensive 2B in baseball this year but it's not like Phillips is in the category of Derek Jeter and didn't deserve it. Phillips had a spectacular defensive year and I'm ok with either Barney or Phillips winning it. This isn't Palmero winning it when he DH'd most of the year.

EDIT: I am noticing more of an outrage in other forums and discussion boards than here. I just kind of laugh at some of the reaction I'm seeing to this award.

Cant Touch This
11-01-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure about some of the older metrics.. but for either method of calculating dWAR currently, a grounder to third would have ZERO effect on that.

I didn't say it would affect dWAR. I said a ground ball to third base has a negative impact on a second baseman's Range Factor.

gilpdawg
11-01-2013, 07:08 AM
I didn't say it would affect dWAR. I said a ground ball to third base has a negative impact on a second baseman's Range Factor.
Ok then. Range Factor is outdated anyway.

jojo
11-01-2013, 08:35 AM
UZR rated Barney and Phillips closely enough that it would be pretty difficult to tell them apart by the eye. Phillips did it on a playoff team that recieved more converage. I think it would be pretty tough to be "outraged" over this one.

Cant Touch This
11-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Ok then. Range Factor is outdated anyway.

Exactly my point. (Sorry - I can't tell if you are debating or agreeing with me!)