PDA

View Full Version : Phillips is "gone" According to ML Executive...

PriceIsRight
11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html?article=11800789#ixzz2jtHlgnbu

RedlegJ
11-06-2013, 01:52 PM
As much as I'd like to see us have a big offseason, as in dumping salary and getting some great players to replace Choo and possibly Phillips, I'm trying not to get too excited just in case we don't do much haha.

RedlegJ
11-06-2013, 01:53 PM
But it is interesting what this person said. Is it just his opinion? Has he been told anything? Who knows. Very interesting though.

RedlegJ
11-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Because of the news that the Yankees inquired on him...

I'm not sure who we would want from them. They have a few interesting pitching prospects, but other than that, I don't know.

Johnny Fan
11-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I just don't see Walt making any deal with Brandon included that won't involve getting something major in return, and then you have to question what might that be and what teams are able to take on the contract he has. Also have to look at the issue of fan reaction, like it or not, Brandon is loved by this community and to deal him away will be tough, and especially though if nothing of real value is gotten back. I would be shocked if Walt moves him....

Lewdog
11-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Joba Chamberlain to take over Chapman's spot as closer?

RedlegJake
11-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I won't be shocked if he's moved. I think its inevitable. Just glad to see they are opening the asking price high.

MoneyInTheBank
11-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Joba Chamberlain to take over Chapman's spot as closer?

I'm not saying I wouldn't take a chance on him but I wouldn't count on him for any significant role in the bullpen. He hasn't been consistently good for nearly 5 years

Lewdog
11-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't take a chance on him but I wouldn't count on him for any significant role in the bullpen. He hasn't been consistently good for nearly 5 years

I was just throwing that out there. I think it is pretty obvious that the Reds have significant plans for J.J. Hoover. I think if Nick Masset would have been healthy last year he would have been the closer and Chapman would have been in the starting rotation. The Reds have the mindset they have to have a fireballing closer and all three fit the bill. Last year once Hoover gave up on trying to be a 4 pitch guy, he had a lot better results including setting the record for most consecutive innings pitched without giving up a run.

kaldaniels
11-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Because of the news that the Yankees inquired on him...

I'm not sure who we would want from them. They have a few interesting pitching prospects, but other than that, I don't know.

"Interesting trades considered?" Why I'd take screen legend Anthony Quinn's t-shirt for BP!

MoneyInTheBank
11-07-2013, 06:32 AM
I was just throwing that out there. I think it is pretty obvious that the Reds have significant plans for J.J. Hoover. I think if Nick Masset would have been healthy last year he would have been the closer and Chapman would have been in the starting rotation. The Reds have the mindset they have to have a fireballing closer and all three fit the bill. Last year once Hoover gave up on trying to be a 4 pitch guy, he had a lot better results including setting the record for most consecutive innings pitched without giving up a run.

I have to disagree on Masset. If Chapman was in the rotation, Broxton was closing. Otherwise, the money they gave him in the offseason was nothing short of absurd (I happen to think it was absurd anyway, but that's a different conversation).

Joba still throws hard, but something is not right with him. I don't know if he was fed up with the Yankees or if there is something physically going on or if the constant changing of roles just broke him down but he is no longer the unhittable guy we all saw on the big playoff stage.

RedlegJ
11-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Tweet from Bob Nightengale

BNightengale: One of the biggest trade chips at next week's GM meetings will be 2B Brandon Phillips, who appears to have played his final game for #Reds.

Johnny Fan
11-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I will believe when I see it...right now all nothing but reporters board..

joshua
11-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Johnny is in denial. Brandon is gone. There's just way too much smoke.

Johnny Fan
11-11-2013, 09:16 AM

there can be all the smoke you want, Brandon isn't going anywhere unless Walt can pull of a steal. Like it or not, with his contract, there will be few suiters for Brandon, and Walt is not going to just give him away. Again let there be smoke, I have to see a deal to believe it and right now I don't see a deal happening unless Walt can find a sucker.

Redsville
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
If BP is gone, I sure hope Walt doesn't pull the trigger this week on it at GM meetings unless 1 or both things happen.....Cano signs his deal with a team, and/or a team offers a can't say no deal for him.

I don't see either happening, and if BP gets traded I'd say it will be around the Christmas holidays at the earliest, that's if Cano is signed by then......but I do think he'll get traded because it appears Bob and Walt are done with him reading/listening to the tea leaves.

Johnny Fan
11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
If no trade happens by Redsfest, does BP attend, and if he does how "uncomfortable" might it be for him and the Reds?

MoneyInTheBank
11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
If no trade happens by Redsfest, does BP attend, and if he does how "uncomfortable" might it be for him and the Reds?

A lot of folks expect BP to lob grenades on the way out the door. I don't see it. I think he's going to go for the "Me against the Front Office" route with the fans. Something to the effect of "You know I love my fans, I wanted to spend the rest of my career in, MY CITY, Cincinnati but they didn't want me around anymore"

He'll be at Redsfest and it won't be uncomfortable at all for him, IMO. He's a narcissist (I'm not saying that as a negative, nearly all professional athletes are) so he'll love the attention of fans approaching him saying "Please don't go" "We Love You!", "Don't let them trade you"

villain612
11-14-2013, 03:00 PM

I agree with this.
I think the FO would've came out much stronger against the trade rumors if they were unfounded. And at this point, can you really walk that implication back?

As far as trading BP, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I am okay with them not getting a huge direct return on the move as long as they use the freed up money to resign Choo or another high valued target. If we get nothing for him AND they don't use the free capital for something consequential, then I say don't move him.

Johnny Fan
11-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I agree with this.
I think the FO would've came out much stronger against the trade rumors if they were unfounded. And at this point, can you really walk that implication back?

As far as trading BP, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I am okay with them not getting a huge direct return on the move as long as they use the freed up money to resign Choo or another high valued target. If we get nothing for him AND they don't use the free capital for something consequential, then I say don't move him.

There is nothing to be gained by saying anything, and Walt and Bob don't work that way. Is Walt looking at possibilities, sure I doubt there isn't a player on the roster Walt wouldn't deal if he felt it improved the team, but again, given the contract size, Brandon's community appeal and his talents, moving him will be tough, and unless you get a HUGE return in either a large FA signing or returned talent, Walt won't do it and I don't see there being either of those out there for Walt to get in return.

villain612
11-14-2013, 05:56 PM
There is nothing to be gained by saying anything, and Walt and Bob don't work that way. Is Walt looking at possibilities, sure I doubt there isn't a player on the roster Walt wouldn't deal if he felt it improved the team, but again, given the contract size, Brandon's community appeal and his talents, moving him will be tough, and unless you get a HUGE return in either a large FA signing or returned talent, Walt won't do it and I don't see there being either of those out there for Walt to get in return.

Sure, there's nothing to be gained by saying it but that doesn't make my statement untrue.

Let's say someone asked him if Votto was being shopped. Would he have the same milquetoast response? I seriously doubt it.

But in the end, I agree with your analysis concerning Phillips. I am not sure there's enough to be gained either in the trade or with the freed capital in the free agent market. Which, if that's the case, then I say keep him.