PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot

George Anderson
11-26-2013, 03:36 PM
I would say Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine are a lock. Frank Thomas and Craig Biggio very likely will make it this year with I am guessing Mike Mussina falling just short.

It could be an interesting year because we very well could see as many as 7 inductees. If I am not mistaken the veterans committee will have a vote this year and with LaRussa, Torre and Cox on their ballot we could see 3 from the VC and as many as 4 from the writers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/greg-maddux-frank-thomas-tom-glavine-among-first-201209676--mlb.html

Joseph
11-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Luckily for Biggio he doesn't have to choose just one position.

I agree that Maddux and Glavine should both get in. Biggio probably as well. Thomas I'm iffy on, but eventually he probably makes it in.

Yeah, could be a HUGE year in Cooperstown. I can't imagine that city over run by that many potential fan bases. Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, St Louis, and New York mostly.

Norm Chortleton
11-26-2013, 05:19 PM
He was never one of my favorite players for some reason, but The Big Hurt is a mortal lock. So is Maddux and probably Glavine. I wouldn't vote for any of the players that were on the ballot last year.

westofyou
11-26-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm Voting Barry and Roger. Then Maddox

George Anderson
11-26-2013, 06:23 PM
He was never one of my favorite players for some reason, but The Big Hurt is a mortal lock. So is Maddux and probably Glavine. I wouldn't vote for any of the players that were on the ballot last year.

I'm stingy with who I think belongs but "The Big Hurt" is an easy pick.

WrongVerb
11-26-2013, 06:31 PM
The thing that shocks me most about that list of first-timers is how many players are on it that I didn't even realize had spent 10 seasons in the majors, not to mention that they'd been retired 5 years already. Gagne, Lo Duca, Nomo, Sexson to name some.

Also, while not Hall worthy, Kenny Rogers had a pretty solid career.

Mussina was a lot better for a lot longer than I thought, too. So was Thomas for that matter. I think Thomas gets in and Mussina ends up like Blyleven, just on the outside looking in. Maddux and Glavine are locks.

11-26-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm Voting Barry and Roger. Then Maddox

Barry Larkin is already in, and Roger Nelson was an effective fifth starter in 74, but not really HOF material in my mind. But yeah, I agree on Elliott Maddox, he gets my vote too ;)

westofyou
11-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Barry Larkin is already in, and Roger Nelson was an effective fifth starter in 74, but not really HOF material in my mind. But yeah, I agree on Elliott Maddox, he gets my vote too ;)

Actually I meant Barry Foote, Roger Peckinpaugh and Mike Maddux.

Kenny Rogers should get in for his work with First Edition

bucksfan2
11-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Was Mussina ever great? In looking at his stats he does seem better than I remember him. I may be wrong, but at 270 wins, I don't think you see another current player achieve that.

Frank Thomas was a great hitter, but I do have somewhat of a problem putting a guy into the HOF who really only spent 5 seasons playing a position. I think he gets in, but I don't think it is this season.

Biggio gets in, eventually. While I think MVP voting can be pretty subjective, Biggio's best finishes were 4th and 5th. Of what I remember of Biggio he was a very good player. He is a guy who in the end deserves to be in the HOF, but was he ever that WOW player?

I do think that Bonds, Clemens, and Maddox belong in the HOF. IMO Clemens was a better pitcher than Maddox and has gone out of his way to clear his name in court, is that enough? If I had a vote it would be Bonds, Clemens, Maddox, Jack Morris and then Thomas and Biggio. I don't really buy into the whole first timer debate, I do think Morris finally deserves it in his last chance and that Thomas and Biggio are not the caliber of players Clemens, Maddox and Bonds were.

George Anderson
11-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Was Mussina ever great? In looking at his stats he does seem better than I remember him. I may be wrong, but at 270 wins, I don't think you see another current player achieve that.

I think an argument could be made just why Mussina should be inducted when Tommy John and Jim Kaat among others have better stats but aren't inducted.

My answer to that would be Mussina got a lot of those wins wearing pinstripes which of course means he is a very special person and will no doubt receive more votes from the writers.

gilpdawg
11-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Mussina, Kaat, and John all should be in. There's an odd bias against pitchers under that mythical 300 mark. Every one of those guys should be in before Jack Morris is even discussed.

texasdave
11-27-2013, 02:31 AM
Kenny Rogers did some excellent work with The First Edition that will merit serious HOF consideration. But I still have major reservations about him making it in. Persistent rumors about him being a gambler might be enough to keep him out. He was never officially charged as such, to his credit. I suppose that is because he knew when to hold them and knew when to fold them.

gilpdawg
11-27-2013, 02:35 AM
Kenny Rogers did some excellent work with The First Edition that will merit serious HOF consideration. But I still have major reservations about him making it in. Persistent rumors about him being a gambler might be enough to keep him out. He was never officially charged as such, to his credit. I suppose that is because he knew when to hold them and knew when to fold them.

No one is ever going to vote for the coward of the county.

RedsBaron
11-27-2013, 02:52 AM
I think Thomas gets in and Mussina ends up like Blyleven, just on the outside looking in. Maddux and Glavine are locks.

Blyleven is on the inside looking out. He is in the HOF.

RadfordVA
11-27-2013, 03:21 AM
My imaginary votes are for

Bonds
Clemens
Maddux
Schilling
Bagwell
Thomas
Piazza
Mattingly

I lean towards players that were dominant for a period over players who lasted longer than others. For me it is truly the Hall of "Fame" and players that left an impact. Players like Mussina and Biggio were awesome players and very good for a long time but I think the story of baseball could be told without them. But that is what's great about it the discussion it sparks. No voting system has ever been without it's detractors.

[deleted]
11-27-2013, 03:30 AM
To me, Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas are no-doubt, "duh" inclusions. From the guys on their second go-round, I would have absolutely no hesitation voting for: Bagwell, Biggio, Martinez, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, and Trammell. There's an argument to be had, but I would also cast a vote for Bonds, & Clemens. Walker is a bit more 'eh'-ish, but I'd go for him as well.

An insanely stacked ballot, and there are more than a few guys whose exclusion would upset me... (who isn't voting for Jeff Bagwell?! How can Greg Maddux not be unanimous?!)

WrongVerb
11-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Blyleven is on the inside looking out. He is in the HOF.

You're right. I sort of meant his HoF trip would mirror that of Blyleven, but that for now he's on the outside looking in. He may end up being a veteran's committee choice, even.

dubc47834
11-27-2013, 08:07 AM
No one is ever going to vote for the coward of the county.

No, but if anyone could prove he motorboated in Dolly Parton's funbags that would make him a national hero....:eek:

dfs
11-27-2013, 09:16 AM
;3008140']To me, Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas are no-doubt, "duh" inclusions. From the guys on their second go-round, I would have absolutely no hesitation voting for: Bagwell, Biggio, Martinez, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, and Trammell. There's an argument to be had, but I would also cast a vote for Bonds, & Clemens. Walker is a bit more 'eh'-ish, but I'd go for him as well.
I didn't write this, but I darned well could have.

The nature of who will be elected seems to be changing at the same time the PED scandal is taking away the "obvious" selections. I can only tell you who I would elect, because I have no sense at all about what the writers will do.

RedsBaron
11-27-2013, 09:36 AM
IMO there are (1) more than ten players on this year's ballot who will eventually make the HOF, and (2) more than ten players on this year's ballot that I would vote for, if given the opportunity.
Selecting just en is tough, but here goes, in no particular order:
1. Maddux. For all I know every player who ever lived took PEDS, but my guess is that if anyone is clean, it was Maddux, and he had an amazing career.
2. Glavine. 300+ career wins, two Cy Young awards. Easy choice.
3. Thomas. Maybe the most devastating hitter of his era, and he did play a position: DH-it has been a position for 40 years.
4. Biggio. One of the ten best second basemen of all time along with 3000+ hits and great all around play.
5. Bagwell. One of the ten best first basemen of all time. It would be appropriate for Biggio and Bagwell, and for Maddux and Glavine, to enter the HOF together.
6. Piazza. Best hitting catcher ever, even though there are a number of catchers who rank ahead ahead for all around ability, including Bench, Berra, Cochrane, Campanella.
7. Raines. Being roughly 95% as good as Rickey Henderson is enough to merit HOF induction.
8. Trammell. Probably one of the top ten-twelve shortstops ever.
9. Schilling. The second best big game pitcher of his generation, behind only Smoltz.
10. McGriff or Martinez. That still leaves Mussina, Sosa, McGwire, Walker, Palmiero, Bonds and Clemens, among others to consider.

George Anderson
11-27-2013, 10:43 AM
IMO there are (1) more than ten players on this year's ballot who will eventually make the HOF, and (2) more than ten players on this year's ballot that I would vote for, if given the opportunity.
Selecting just en is tough, but here goes, in no particular order:
1. Maddux. For all I know every player who ever lived took PEDS, but my guess is that if anyone is clean, it was Maddux, and he had an amazing career.
2. Glavine. 300+ career wins, two Cy Young awards. Easy choice.
3. Thomas. Maybe the most devastating hitter of his era, and he did play a position: DH-it has been a position for 40 years.
4. Biggio. One of the ten best second basemen of all time along with 3000+ hits and great all around play.
5. Bagwell. One of the ten best first basemen of all time. It would be appropriate for Biggio and Bagwell, and for Maddux and Glavine, to enter the HOF together.
6. Piazza. Best hitting catcher ever, even though there are a number of catchers who rank ahead ahead for all around ability, including Bench, Berra, Cochrane, Campanella.
7. Raines. Being roughly 95% as good as Rickey Henderson is enough to merit HOF induction.
8. Trammell. Probably one of the top ten-twelve shortstops ever.
9. Schilling. The second best big game pitcher of his generation, behind only Smoltz.
10. McGriff or Martinez. That still leaves Mussina, Sosa, McGwire, Walker, Palmiero, Bonds and Clemens, among others to consider.

I agree on the top 7 for sure.

As far as Bonds and Clemens, I would vote for them. I can only go on a hunch but I think they were HOF caliber before I think they took steroids so to me that makes them worthy. For candidates that are pretty much borderline like Palmeiro and Sosa, I would lean no because if you tested positive then you better of had an exemplary career like what Bonds and Clemens had. A borderline HOF career while using steroids makes me vote no.

RedsManRick
11-27-2013, 02:29 PM
For me, the HOF is essentially the book of baseball history. HOF voting is about making sure all the most important characters get in the book. What role those players play in the story once they're in the book is another issue entirely. And particularly in consideration of who has already been inducted, I tend toward a big hall mentality.

My basic is rule of thumb is that the cutoff of quality should be something around 2 to 3 players per year, with a roughly 2:1 bias overall toward position players in total. That works about to about 60 career WAR, though I place emphasis on peak value over mere accumulation.

Sosa is the guy I'm most ambivalent about. He's basically on the cutoff line performance-wise. Given the circumstances, my initial instinct is to say no. But I don't want to get in to a slippery slope of adjusting numbers arbitrarily, so I'd err on the side of inclusion -- if/when we ever get to a place when there's enough room on the ballot for him.

I've starred the guys who I think actually get it in this year. I'm worried that we're going to have at least 7 or 8 guys who are going to be on some ballots every year for the next decade, which ultimately hurts the guys who are somewhat borderline and just won't have room. For example, I could see Walker having peaked at last year's 22% and I could see Kent, McGriff and Palmeiro failing to get 5% in the next 2 or 3 years, if not this year.

1. Bonds
2. Clemens
3. Maddux* (if somebody doesn't vote for Maddux, they should lose their voting right)
4. Glavine *
5. Schilling
6. Mussina
7. Bagwell
8. Thomas
9. Trammell
10. Raines
~~~~~~
11. Piazza* (guy I feel worst about leaving off -- hurt by Trammell & Raines not making it yet)
12. Biggio*
12. Martinez
13. Walker
14. McGwire
15. Palmeiro
16. Sosa

I honestly don't think Jack Morris makes it. He'd need 1 in 5 people who voted against him last year to change their minds and nobody who voted for him to exclude him this year. Given how full the ballot is and given how exhaustively his case has been discussed, I just don't think that many minds are going to change in his favor.

And if I had a Veterans ballot:
1. Tommy John
2. Joe Torre
3. Bobby Cox
4. Tony LaRussa