PDA

View Full Version : Chris Heisey

jordan_tm
03-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Imagine what a boost our offense would receive if Heisey could hit like he does during the Spring. And of course like he did in the minors as well.

I read that he has changed his batting stance to a new relaxed stance that keeps his hands lower and his body less tense. I'm really pulling for him to finally put things together and be a productive everyday major leaguer this year.

KYExtemper
03-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Agreed. I'd love to see Heisey hit more consistently at the major league level. It'd be a great boost to this team.

JMO
03-17-2014, 10:03 PM
If Heisey finally puts it together, it would be a HUGE boom for the Reds. I think our bench will be a strength for us this year.

Heisey, Schumaker, Pena, Bernadina, Nelson

Soto in AAA
Hannahan on DL
Release Santiago or have him accept AAA assignment

Rando
03-18-2014, 08:41 AM
I've always thought Heisey would do great things. I was disappointed last year when he didn't come through after getting his chance, but he definitely deserves a second look. I hope Price plays hot players and sits the cold ones. If Ludwick is going to be dead weight we won't need to figure that out after the ASG.

Rando
03-18-2014, 08:41 AM
If Heisey finally puts it together, it would be a HUGE boom for the Reds. I think our bench will be a strength for us this year.

Soto in AAA
Hannahan on DL

This is the strongest bench we've had in years. Finally our PH aren't automatic outs. I'd like to see Soto and Frazier share time if Frazier struggles.

BigRed91
03-18-2014, 09:01 AM
His minor league numbers have always suggested a better hitter than he's shown so far in the big leagues. I'm expecting something similar to his first year in AAA when he put up a .278/.323/.465 triple slash. Deffinitely should be the starter over ludwick IMO

CoachBombay
03-18-2014, 09:16 AM

Soto in AAA
Hannahan on DL

you see Nelson making the team over Santiago? I havent followed much of spring training so far but If santiago doesnt make it who is our backup SS? I dont know if nelson is much of a SS and more of a 3rd basemen 2nd basemen

jordan_tm
03-18-2014, 11:04 AM
I think what frustrates Reds fans with Heisey is we see and know the potential is there to be a very very solid player. I really believe he could be a .270, 20 HR, 80 RBI player.

I agree with everyone about our bench. It is the one area that really is better than last year's team. I still don't see the fascination with Hannahan by management. Another case where you can have zero production but if you make more than a million dollars you are automatically on the team.

No pants Mcgee
03-18-2014, 01:29 PM
His minor league numbers have always suggested a better hitter than he's shown so far in the big leagues. I'm expecting something similar to his first year in AAA when he put up a .278/.323/.465 triple slash. Deffinitely should be the starter over ludwick IMO

Don't get me wrong I like Heisei, and wouldn't at all be surprised to see him and Ludwick splitting time pretty evenly come July. With that said though how do you honestly say right now that he should start over Ludwick?

krm1580
03-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I have said it before, back in 2009 I got to see the Carolina Mudcats in a 3 game series. At the time the team had Yonder Alonso, Todd Frazier, Zack Cozart and Juan Francisco among others. I did not know much about Chris Heisey but I left that weekend thinking he was by far the most impressive player on that team. He used the whole field, he never seemed fooled or off balance. His BB ratio was decent and his AB per K was really strong at around 7/1. Bottom line, he was not a hacker. I think he changed his approach when he got to the majors to hit more HRs as is expected of a corner OF.

I don't put much stock in spring training numbers but he does seem more relaxed at the plate. His hands are a lot lower and less busy and he seems much quicker to the ball than last year so who knows. With Hamilton being a rookie and Ludwick being a question mark coming off his surgery he may end up playing a lot. He has ability, it might be a good year to finally show it.

StRedlegs900
03-18-2014, 02:45 PM
I think that Ludwick is automatically going to get at least a little leeway at first based on past production. We're really not that far-removed from the 2012 playoffs where Ludwick was almost the Reds' only noticeable offense in the final 3 games. It's therefore Ludwick's to lose, IMO. That being said, it's at least refreshing to see Heisey (or heck, someone) try something different (hand placement), in the hopes of being more effective. I'm pretty skeptical myself, but if he were to take off offensively, mixing that with his defensive abilities in LF would change this club's dynamic quite a bit.

Drugs Delaney
03-20-2014, 11:27 PM
I like that he's off to a hot start. But hasn't this always been Heisey?

A guy who can hit 5 HRs in a 10 day stretch and then go a month without producing...

He's a good guy to have on the roster. And I hope that Price does ride him when he gets on a hot streak. But I just feel like we've seen this movie before with everyone getting all excited about Heisey and getting angry that he isn't starting and then he gets handed the chance to start and he fails to take advantage of it.

Personally, I'm not buying the "he needs to start!" stuff just because he is playing well in spring training. I've heard that refrain so many times in the past and he has never been able to sustain success in the majors for more than a few weeks at a time.

Mike Honcho
03-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Heisey is what he is, nothing more, nothing less. When given too many at bats he gets exposed. History bears this out. Solid on the bench, can't handle a full time role. And there is nothing wrong with that btw.

mu4103
03-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Heisey is what he is, nothing more, nothing less. When given too many at bats he gets exposed. History bears this out. Solid on the bench, can't handle a full time role. And there is nothing wrong with that btw.
Dusty Baker was a huge naysayer of Heisey. It will be interested to see what he can do with a coach who has stated verbally that he believes in him.

JMO
03-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Price should ride Heisey until he cools off. New approach and a new batting coach seem to be paying off. Bat him 5th in LF on Opening Day.

B Hamilton, Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Heisey, Frazier, Mesoraco, Cozart
Ludwick, Pena, Bernadina, Nelson, Soto

mu4103
03-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Price should ride Heisey until he cools off. New approach and a new batting coach seem to be paying off. Bat him 5th in LF on Opening Day.

B Hamilton, Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Heisey, Frazier, Mesoraco, Cozart
Ludwick, Pena, Bernadina, Nelson, Soto
Don't think it will happen. I think Heisey, Ludwick, and Hamilton will split a lot of starts the first couple of weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Heisey get 3-4 starts/week. Don't think it will be like Dusty who set his line-up for the year in March.