PDA

View Full Version : Summer Concerts 2014

RedTeamGo!
03-27-2014, 07:31 AM
What concert(s) are you planning on going to this summer? What concert(s) would you like to go to this summer?

This is the thread to share. After the concert you attended please share your experience. :thumbup:

I found out yesterday my wife bought my friend and I tickets to Phish in Chicago on Saturday, July 19th. Phish is my friend Nick and I's favorite band so we are pretty stoked about this. My wife hit a home run on this one. The bonus is that my friend just bought a condo near downtown Chicago so it should prove to be a pretty fun weekend.

The venue is the FirstMerit Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island, Chicago, IL. I am told it is a pretty excellent place to take in a show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FirstMerit_Bank_Pavilion

*BaseClogger*
03-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Anybody else thinking about going to Forecastle in Louisville?

dabvu2498
03-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Anybody else thinking about going to Forecastle in Louisville?

Went last year. Don't love their lineup this year, but it's a pretty well run event.

JB12
03-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Gotta few lined up for this spring/summer:

Bruce Springsteen @ Nationwide Arena - Columbus, OH
NOLA Jazzfest (1st weekend -- Santana, Avett Bros, Infamous Stringdusters)
Nickel Creek @ Murat Theatre - Indianapolis, IN
O.A.R. @ LC - Columbus, OH
Avett Brothers @ Fraze Pavilion - Kettering, OH
Lollapalooza (Sunday - Kings of Leon, Skrillex, Avett Bros)

*BaseClogger*
03-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Went last year. Don't love their lineup this year, but it's a pretty well run event.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to see Outkast this summer, one way or another. Below them it gets a little more dicey, but I think there's enough to hold my attention for a few days...

RichRed
03-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Going to see Vampire Weekend in Raleigh, NC in June.

Ravenlord
03-27-2014, 03:05 PM
in May for our anniversary we're going to Alrossa Villa for Paganfest America...realistically we're going there for Korpiklaani, Tursisas, and Winterhymn, I could do without the three black metal bands on the tour.

dabvu2498
03-27-2014, 03:11 PM
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to see Outkast this summer, one way or another. Below them it gets a little more dicey, but I think there's enough to hold my attention for a few days...

Big Boi was at Forecastle solo last year. He was great.

They had more variety last year. Less "Americana" stuff this year, which is kinda my bag.

*BaseClogger*
03-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Big Boi was at Forecastle solo last year. He was great.

They had more variety last year. Less "Americana" stuff this year, which is kinda my bag.

How can they have less variety if they have less of one specific genre?

(If anything, there is still too much rootsy stuff on this year's bill ;))

NebraskaRed
03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Not summer, but I'm seeing Neutral Milk Hotel this Saturday. And possibly seeing Soundgarden/NIN at Red Rocks in July.

dabvu2498
03-27-2014, 08:16 PM
How can they have less variety if they have less of one specific genre?

(If anything, there is still too much rootsy stuff on this year's bill ;))

They had some pretty excellent straight bluegrass last year. I'm not really seeing that here except Nickle Creek. And I don't like them too much. Last years headliners were just better too.

timmario66
03-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Grouplove/MS MR 3/29 LC Pavilion
American Authors/Wild Cub 4/3 20th Century
Bruce Springsteen 4/8 US Bank Arena
Hold Steady 4/22 Bogart's
Arcade Fire 5/1 Bridgestone Arena (saw them already in Louisville)
Conor Oberst/Dawes 5/27 Taft Theatre
Bastille 5/30 Madison Theater
Avett Brothers 6/14 White River State Park
Bunbury Music Festival 7/11-7/13 Sawyer Point
Avett Brothers 8/2 Fraze Pavilion

I'm sure there will be more as more concerts get announced.

*BaseClogger*
03-28-2014, 11:42 AM
What's the opinion on Bunbury?

timmario66
03-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Not so good headliners but plenty of others to see.

gilpdawg
03-28-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm seeing Dream Theater next Saturday, Volbeat later in April, the ProgPower Fest in September, and probably Fleetwood Mac as well.

Ravenlord
03-28-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm seeing Dream Theater next Saturday, Volbeat later in April, the ProgPower Fest in September, and probably Fleetwood Mac as well.

DT is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I'm kinda like Alexi Laiho though, and it bothers me how clean all their shows typically are.

Ohayou
03-28-2014, 11:29 PM

I was there. Robert Plant got rained out... twas disappointing.

marcshoe
03-29-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm old and kind of Boring, but the Forecastle lineup makes me wish I was younger and had more money. I showed the lineup to my nephew today, and he said he'd like to see Outkast and Jack White perform together. Not a bad idea.

Red in Chicago
03-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Billy Joel at Wrigley Field in the summer.

marcshoe
03-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Billy Joel at Wrigley Field in the summer.

Given his age, I assumed he'd signed with the Yankees.

Roy Tucker
04-01-2014, 11:08 PM
My wife is a country fan. Decided if I can't beat 'em I'll join them. Jason Aldean, Miranda Lambert, Florida Georgia Line at GABP.

*BaseClogger*
04-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Country music makes me sad... :(

BillDoran
04-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Pitchfork in July. Great headliners: Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Kendrick Lamar. Solid remaining lineup, including Grimes, St. Vincent, Real Estate, DIIV, The Julie Ruin (Kathleen Hanna's current band), Speedy Ortiz, and Circulatory System (!). Plus a lot of bands that I don't know much about and look forward to seeing/hearing.

reds1869
04-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Going to Bunbury and probably the new Buckle Up Festival. Bunbury's lineup isn't thrilling but I have always wanted to see the Flaming Lips live, so it has that going for it. This week I'm going to see Sprinsteen/Morello. Will probably go to several spur of the moment. I always go to a lot of local shows, too.

klw
04-05-2014, 05:58 PM
NCAA music festival is being streamed on You Tube
Killers are this evening, Fun and Springsteen tomorrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDrHZn9YL8

*BaseClogger*
04-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Pitchfork in July. Great headliners: Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Kendrick Lamar. Solid remaining lineup, including Grimes, St. Vincent, Real Estate, DIIV, The Julie Ruin (Kathleen Hanna's current band), Speedy Ortiz, and Circulatory System (!). Plus a lot of bands that I don't know much about and look forward to seeing/hearing.

Dude. Cloud Nothings.

Pitchfork has a tremendous crop of hip-hop talent this year. If you can stomach their sound, Death Grips put on a fantastic show...

gilpdawg
04-07-2014, 05:48 AM
DT is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I'm kinda like Alexi Laiho though, and it bothers me how clean all their shows typically are.

It was one of the best shows I've seen them do and I've seen them either 16 or 17 times now. Top 3 or 4.

KittyDuran
04-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Bought a ticket to see Sir Paul again @ YUM in Louisville June 26. Registered for the pre-sale on his website yesterday. Can't believe it's been almost 3 years since I saw him first @ GABP.

klw
04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Bruce Springsteen 4/8 US Bank Arena

Did you enjoy the show last night?

reds1869
04-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Can't speak for anyone else, but I loved it. Morello added a lot to the E Street sound and Bruce put on the type of show he is legendary for.

timmario66
04-10-2014, 08:39 AM

I did. I agree with the poster about Tom Morello. I think he added a great energy to the band. No offense to Little Stevie. It's my 4th time seeing him and he doesn't disappoint even at 65. I hope I have that much energy when I get that age.

JB12
05-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Woah. Any fans of Nickel Creek out there that are thinking about checking them out on their Welcome Back Tour - I strongly recommend catching a show.

I caught their gig in Indianapolis last night. They haven't missed a beat over their 7 year hiatus. Weird to think they've been a band for 25 years - considering how young they still are.

Their opener - The Secret Sisters put on a great show as well. I'll be checking them out again down the road.

Dom Heffner
05-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Bought a meet and greet package with Def Leppard and will be also seeing Motley Crue. Pretty stoked.

KittyDuran
06-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Bought a ticket to see Sir Paul again @ YUM in Louisville June 26. Registered for the pre-sale on his website yesterday. Can't believe it's been almost 3 years since I saw him first @ GABP.

Well, Paul is still under doctor's orders to take it easy recovering from the virus he had in Japan and cancelled the June concerts... They've been rescheduled in October! Just received the ticket yesterday. So I called and cancelled the hotel room @ The Galt House (they hadn't charged my credit card). Will wait on this because of the timeframe and it's now on a Tuesday :p.

Joseph
06-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Ive got Macca at YUM and Motley Crue as well. Flying to Vegas to see NIN and Soundgarden in July. Looking forward to all.

OldRightHander
06-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Saw Bill Cosby last night at Aronoff. Still funny as heck.

Reds Freak
06-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Woah. Any fans of Nickel Creek out there that are thinking about checking them out on their Welcome Back Tour - I strongly recommend catching a show.

I caught their gig in Indianapolis last night. They haven't missed a beat over their 7 year hiatus. Weird to think they've been a band for 25 years - considering how young they still are.

Their opener - The Secret Sisters put on a great show as well. I'll be checking them out again down the road.

Hoping to see Nickel Creek in a few weeks. Chris Thile is outstanding.

Dom Heffner
07-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Okay, so I went through the Def Leppard meet and greet and wanted to share some thoughts.

First of all, I thought it was well done, well organized, and totally worth it.

About 50 or so people paid for this experience. We all went to a tent and our host went over the rules (no hugs, kisses, they can't sign anything, and please do not shake Vivian Campbell's hand as he is going through chemotherapy).

Def Leppard were in the tent next to us- one by one we were to walk through, say a little something and get our photo taken with the band.

Now- I had prepared myself for this for months. I knew I would have just a few seconds with each member, so I came up with something to say for each one. They are my favorite band, and I didn't want to blow this.

When it was my turn to go in, not going to liee, the nerves hit.

Rick savage was the first one lined up. He grabbed my hand and said "Thanks so much for coming." I was not expecting someone so warm, not going to lie. I kept thinking, "Oh sure, thank God I'm here, Sav." I told him how much I appreciated the opportunity, not what I had planned to say at all.

Vivian Campbell was next. Now, they told us beforehand that just because we couldn't touch him that we should not ignore him. So I told him how much I enjoyed his Facebook page- he is a very articualte and passionate guy, especially with politics and I let him know this. He was actually surprised and appreciative.

Joe Elliott was next. I shook his hand and said "Thank you so much for your kind words on Phil Everly's passing." Swear to God he took a step back, his face lit up and he said, "You are very welcome."

I then told Phil Collen how much I liked the videos he made regarding Steve Clark and I told Rick Allen how awesome his artwork was. Both shook my hand and again, were appreciative of my words.

And then here's where it got cool, for me at least.

So I stepped back from Rick Allen to pose for the picture. I got between Phil Collen and Joe Elliott. And as the photographer was setting up, Joe put his hand on my shoulder and starts to talk to me.

You know how you are having your picture taken but you are trying to talk without letting it show in the pic?

He was doing that, right in my ear.

"You know Phil Everly came to one of our shows a few years ago."

He said this proud as a peacock.

It's a surreal feeling having a rock star that you love talking with you about another rock star you love and I just kind of rolled with it.

"It just seemed like nobody said much when he died, and it was really awesome of you to take the time to do that."

At this point they were movng me along to get out of the area. It didn't stop Joe.

"Well you are very welcome, and I hope you enjoy tonight and enjoy the (signed) photo."

Just cloud nine.

Mutaman
07-27-2014, 03:30 PM
About 50 or so people paid for this experience. We all went to a tent and our host went over the rules (no hugs, kisses, they can't sign anything, and please do not shake Vivian Campbell's hand as he is going through chemotherapy).

I smell a sequel to Spinal Tap. Rock and Roll!

I just wasn't made for these times.

RedTeamGo!
07-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Saw Phish at Northerly Island in Chicago, IL last weekend. It was absolutely incredible.

Trey is the best guitarist alive.

Was such an amazing venue.

Eric in IL
08-16-2014, 06:04 AM
I saw Steely Dan at the Illinois State Fair last night. Donald ***en and Walter Becker have got to be approaching 70 years old, but they have surrounded themselves with some top-notch musicians and the songs sounded great. ***en took about three songs off and let Becker and the backup singers handle the vocals, which is understandable given the duration of the tour and their age. My only real complaint was with the setlist. They didn't play "Do It Again", "FM" or "Deacon Blues"- three of their most recognizable hits. Instead they opted for a lot of album cuts from their early catalog.

Hate to complain because the musicianship was off the charts, but I just walked away feeling a little disappointed.

gilpdawg
08-16-2014, 08:19 PM
I just looked at that Steely Dan set, and as a pretty big fan, I approve. Lots of songs off Aja. Aja rules.

Dom Heffner
08-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Just caught a drumstick from Tommy Lee. Awesome.

gilpdawg
08-18-2014, 03:15 AM
Just caught a drumstick from Tommy Lee. Awesome.

Better disinfectant it. ;) How many words did Vince sing tonight? Since he usually only bothers to sing every other word.

Dom Heffner
08-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Better disinfectant it. ;) How many words did Vince sing tonight? Since he usually only bothers to sing every other word.

Vince was my biggest complaint. He had a hard time keeping up.

camisadelgolf
08-29-2014, 01:19 AM
Did anyone else make it out to the Whispering Beard? I had a blast.

MilotheMayor
09-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Cloud Nothings is playing on Pitt's campus tomorrow night. Missed them during their Attack on Memory tour; shame as that's easily my favorite rock album from the last five years or so.

Here and Nowhere Else is solid enough, although it's too bad they didn't bring back Albini for production duties. The mix is really muddy.

vaticanplum
09-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Cloud Nothings is playing on Pitt's campus tomorrow night. Missed them during their Attack on Memory tour; shame as that's easily my favorite rock album from the last five years or so.

Here and Nowhere Else is solid enough, although it's too bad they didn't bring back Albini for production duties. The mix is really muddy.

Are you in Pittsburgh, Milo?

MilotheMayor
09-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Yup. Going into my third year of graduate studies.

*BaseClogger*
09-25-2014, 05:28 PM

I think they missed the second guitarist more than the production...

vaticanplum
09-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Yup. Going into my third year of graduate studies.

I didn't know that. If you're in Oakland then we're not too far apart. We should go see the Reds next year. (I am going to the Ennui show tomorrow night.)

Joseph
10-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Saw Motley Crue a couple weeks ago.

Absolutely awful. Vince can't sing at all. Not even a little. I expect my 50+ year old rock stars not to put on the show they did in their 20's in terms of mobility around the stage and all, but Vince is just plain out of shape and has no vocal stamina what so ever. He'd hit a note here and there during a song, but it was just a single word or short gasping phrase.

That said, I see Paul McCartney tomorrow night here in Louisville. Still stoked for that.

Dom Heffner
10-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Saw Motley Crue a couple weeks ago.

Absolutely awful. Vince can't sing at all. Not even a little. I expect my 50+ year old rock stars not to put on the show they did in their 20's in terms of mobility around the stage and all, but Vince is just plain out of shape and has no vocal stamina what so ever. He'd hit a note here and there during a song, but it was just a single word or short gasping phrase.

That said, I see Paul McCartney tomorrow night here in Louisville. Still stoked for that.

How odd was it- at least for me- to see Mick Marrs, who may as well be dead, be the most talented man on stage?

Vince Neil's voice is gone, and he needs to be in better shape. Taped vocals, too.

Alice Cooper blew them off the stage.

Joseph
10-28-2014, 02:11 PM
How odd was it- at least for me- to see Mick Marrs, who may as well be dead, be the most talented man on stage?

Vince Neil's voice is gone, and he needs to be in better shape. Taped vocals, too.

Alice Cooper blew them off the stage.

Cooper did blow them away. Hell for that matter The Raskins were pretty good too. Mick's always been under appreciated as part of that band, there's no question. Between Vince killing Razzle early on in their career, to Tommy Lee's sex tapes to Nikki killing himself with drugs, Mick has sort of always slipped by mainstream attention. Very talented guitar player though.

Dom Heffner
10-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Cooper did blow them away. Hell for that matter The Raskins were pretty good too. Mick's always been under appreciated as part of that band, there's no question. Between Vince killing Razzle early on in their career, to Tommy Lee's sex tapes to Nikki killing himself with drugs, Mick has sort of always slipped by mainstream attention. Very talented guitar player though.

After seeing him live, I could not believe I had no idea how great he is. I cannot stress enough how good he was live- to be in that physical condition and to play his riffs as he did, I was blown away.

And then I (couldn't) hear Vince Neil, and it made me want my money back.

Joseph
10-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Paul McCartney was amazing. 3 hours. No breaks. 39 songs.

Dom Heffner
11-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Saw Halestorm last night with New Medicine and The Dead Deads.

Lzzy Hale can sing.