PDA

View Full Version : Reds RESIGN Chris Nelson

JMO
04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
IMHO, this is a great move. I was mad we let him go, but he could provide us with valuable depth. I feel he can play 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and LF. Price said he is versatile and can play multiple positions, not very good defensively, but isn't horrible.

With Cozart struggling early, I guess Nelson felt he had a great opportunity here. Let's see if he tears it up in AAA Louisville and earns his way to Cincinnati.

KYExtemper
04-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Cozart better get things going. He didn't come alive until the later part of last season, but we can't wait that long to get production from the SS position. Hopefully he can break this 0-19 slump he's in today against the Cards.

markymark69
04-07-2014, 09:59 PM
I think the only reason he didn't make the team out of spring training was because they didn't want to lose anyone off the 40-man roster. Not saying that's right, but I believe that's what happened. I agree - I like the signing. Hope he gets a shot before his opt out on May 6.

NebraskaRed
04-14-2014, 04:00 PM
NM

JMO
04-20-2014, 12:38 AM
IMHO, Nelson should be on this team right now. I want him over Santiago.

Heisey, Bernadina, Pena, Nelson, Soto(until Schumaker gets healthy)

RedlegJake
04-20-2014, 06:30 AM
IMHO, Nelson should be on this team right now. I want him over Santiago.

Heisey, Bernadina, Pena, Nelson, Soto(until Schumaker gets healthy)

O agree - they need Nelson's bat more than they need Santiago's glove. The difference between bat and glove in this case, imo, strongly favors Nelson.

Don Votto
04-20-2014, 07:49 AM
O agree - they need Nelson's bat more than they need Santiago's glove. The difference between bat and glove in this case, imo, strongly favors Nelson.

So, you would rather have Nelson (who has a total of 3 games in the majors at SS), then Santiago, who has over 460 games at Major League shortstop. Well, I can see that-- I mean you would never want to double switch or just pinch hit for a .111 starting shortstop.

If, we are reacting to the MOMENT, and not thinking in the near future, then the person that should be down for Chris Nelson really should be Neftali Soto.

What the Reds could do is release Ryan LaMarre from the 40-man roster, send down Soto and let him play everyday, and then add Chris Nelson to the 40-man roster and call him up--HOWEVER--I think they are waiting to see how and when Schumaker will be ready--and if Schumaker is ready by May 5th, then Schumaker gets the call, and LaMarre is removed from the 40-man roster.

But, if Schumaker is not ready then--then Nelson will get the call because he is a right handed hitting infield compliment to Santiago that IN A PINCH could play shortstop.

RedlegJake
04-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Don - YES for replacing Cozart for a game or 2, I'd rather have Nelson. If Cozart goes down everyday I'd bring Santiago up from AAA. I am not talking about Nelson replacing Cozart but as a bench player who can hit and play all infield spots in an emergency.

Don Votto
04-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Well since he has played zero shortstop at Louisville, and only ten games at SS last year, I have to assume your wish is not in the Reds plans.

crector
04-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Reds are looking better all the time.

RedlegJake
04-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Well since he has played zero shortstop at Louisville, and only ten games at SS last year, I have to assume your wish is not in the Reds plans.

I'll get over it - lots of my wishes aren't in their plans