PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday, April 23, 2014...Minor League Updates:

texasdave
04-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Pensacola played some matinee baseball and lost a tough one. They jumped out to a 6-1 lead, before succumbing 7-6. The loss drops them to 8-11 on the season.

Rey Navarro batted leadoff and went 2-5, including his fifth roundtripper. He added a single, while scoring twice and bringing home two runs. Yorman Rodriguez (.315) and Donald Lutz (.353) each had two hits. Travis Mattair left the yard for the second consecutive game. He also doubled, scored a run and drove in three. Michael Lorenzen helped himself with the stick. That is none too surprising since he played a ton of outfield in college. He doubled in two at-bats. He scored a run and steaked himself to a ribeye.

On the bump, Lorenzen was the only pitcher who acquitted himself well. 5IP 4H 2R 1ER 2BB 5K. Lorenzen's ERA is a miserly 1.52 so far in 2014.

HokieRed
04-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Rey Navarro now up to .895 OPS. What do we know about his defense at SS?

texasdave
04-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Louisville is on the verge of dropping below .500 for the year. They are batting in the bottom of the ninth, needing seven to tie and eight to win. Doubles by Mike Wilson and Felix Perez and a single by Ruben Gotay are all they have to show in the game so far.

Just like last night, the starting pitching was poor and the bullpen excellent. In both games the bullpen worked 4.2 scoreless innings. Chad Reineke allowed all seven runs in 4.1 innings of work. Chad "Sharky" Rogers came on for 2.1 innings of hitless baseball. He did walk three, while striking out a pair. After a slow start to the season, Mr. Rogers has twirled 4.1 innings of hitless, scoreless ball. He has struck out five during that skein. Dennick allowed no hits in his 1.1 innings on the mound. He struck out two. Jumbo Diaz worked the final frame. He issued a free pass and also struck out two.

The game has gone final and the Bats end up on the weeping side of the scoreboard by a margin of 7-0.

texasdave
04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Rey Navarro now up to .895 OPS. What do we know about his defense at SS?

I found this blurb from 2013:
Navarro is known for his superb defense, has progressed nicely through the system. His hitting still leaves a lot to be desired but his glove work is above average. He will have a shot at starting the season in Omaha and hopefully his hitting continues to develop.

texasdave
04-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Dayton is in a scoreless tie with the South Bend Silver Hawks.

Ismael Guillon has his control and subsequently has been very hard to hit. He has turned in what may be the best effort by a starting pitcher in the Reds' minors tonight. 7IP 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 11K. Impressive. Layne Somsen followed and continued his strong work out of the pen in 2014. He held SBSH hitless in the 8th. He walked one and fanned a batter in doing so.

Guillon's ERA is an anemic 1.16.

Dayton bats have been held pretty much in check to this point of the contest.

texasdave
04-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Layne Somsen picks a most inopportune time to allow his first earned run of the season, with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.

Dragons' waste a great start by Guillon and fall 1-0.

- - - Updated - - -

texasdave
04-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Bakersfield is at Modesto and there is no score early.

Wandy Peralta hurled a scoreless first.

Jesse Winker has the lone Blaze safety, a double in the first with one out.

HokieRed
04-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Texasdave, for the info on Navarro's defense. It'd be nice to see an authentic prospect at SS somewhere in the system and doubly so to have one as high up as AA.

HokieRed
04-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Bakersfield now up 2-0 going to the top of the 5th. Winker is 2 for 2, both doubles, and has an RBI.

texasdave
04-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Bakersfield hangs a five-spot on the scoreboard in the sixth and now leads 7-zip heading into the ninth.

Wandy Peralta hung six zeroes on the board. 6IP 6H 0R 0ER 3BB 4K.
Jake Johnson has worked two scoreless innings of relief so far. 2IP 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 2K.

Jesse Winker (.338) is having him a night to remember. He has reached base all five times. A single, two doubles, a walk and a home run (3). His blast came with a couple of teammates aboard. In 19 games, Winker now has 20 runs batted in. He has scored one run and driven in four others.
Ryan Wright, Marquez Smith, Yovan Gonzalez and Jon Matthews all have two hits apiece.

bellhead
04-24-2014, 08:45 AM
I wish Winkler could play 3rd or right field but it seems he is stuck at LF. If he could play 3rd base with good D... Imagine.

Tony Cloninger
04-24-2014, 09:27 AM
I wish Winkler could play 3rd or right field but it seems he is stuck at LF. If he could play 3rd base with good D... Imagine.

They already have a RF they need a LF....Bruce could or will still be in right by the time this guys is ready for at least 2 years.

PuffyPig
04-24-2014, 11:05 AM

If Winkler could play 3B with good D, he wouldn't have been available to us when we drafted him.

Kingspoint
04-24-2014, 01:21 PM
What's an explanation for the surge in power from Navarro? Age? (now 24)....Filling out physically?....?

Something intrigued Walt to acquire him from the Royals.

dougdirt
04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Navarro was a free agent. So he wasn't exactly acquired from the Royals.

Kingspoint
04-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Navarro was a free agent. So he wasn't exactly acquired from the Royals.

Thanks again for the clarification. Nice pickup, it seems right now.

With the lack of High Minor League talent at the interior infield positions, I imagine Walt has been looking for whatever he can find to fill that hole.

Any ideas, doug, on Navarro's recent surge in power? I could see two or three homeruns early, but five shows to me that something has changed with him and that we can expect an OPS over .750 for this season. His career OPS of the .670's was increased last season, too. He's only in AA, I know, but at 24, there's not only time for more growth, but a change of organizations might help, too.

OGB
04-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Thanks again for the clarification. Nice pickup, it seems right now.

With the lack of High Minor League talent at the interior infield positions, I imagine Walt has been looking for whatever he can find to fill that hole.

Any ideas, doug, on Navarro's recent surge in power? I could see two or three homeruns early, but five shows to me that something has changed with him and that we can expect an OPS over .750 for this season. His career OPS of the .670's was increased last season, too. He's only in AA, I know, but at 24, there's not only time for more growth, but a change of organizations might help, too.
*Inject, lift, rinse, repeat*
?
shrugs