PDA

View Full Version : Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

PepperJack
06-05-2014, 09:39 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/reds-look-to-continue-first-round-draft-pick-hot-streak?ymd=20140531&content_id=77653036&vkey=news_cin

The 2014 Draft will take place today through Saturday, beginning with the Draft preview show on MLB.com and MLB Network today at 6 p.m. ET. Live Draft coverage from MLB Network's Studio 42 begins at 7 p.m., with the top 74 picks being streamed on MLB.com and broadcast on MLB Network. MLB.com's exclusive coverage of the second and third days will begin with a live Draft show at 12:30 p.m. ET on Friday.

MLB.com's coverage includes Draft Central, the Top 200 Draft Prospects list and Draft Tracker, a live interactive application that includes a searchable database of Draft-eligible players. Every selection will be tweeted live from @MLBDraftTracker, and you can also keep up to date by following @MLBDraft. And get into the Draft conversation by tagging your tweets with #mlbdraft.

The Reds will be picking at numbers 19, 29, and 58 tonight.

PepperJack
06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
MLB.com top 200 prospect list.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=draft

PepperJack
06-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Bseball America's latest mock draft.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-5-0-aiken-looks-like-no-1/

3ds_reds8319: REDS: Cincinnati would love a college bat to fit here, but none does. Instead, the Reds will start off with a college arm with the first of their two picks, with Finnegan a strong possibility but Tyler Beede more likely due to his upside.
Projected Pick: RHP Tyler Beede

3ds_reds8329. REDS: Cincinnati can go for a prep arm here after going for Beede previously.
Projected Pick: RHP Sean Reid-Foley

Kc61
06-05-2014, 10:23 AM
I don't claim much draft knowledge, but I do know that BA's draft day mocks tend to be pretty accurate. I guess I need to look up the reports on Tyler Beede.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Scouting Grades: Fastball: 65 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 60
Beede figures to become just the 18th player selected in the first round of two different June Drafts. Picked 21st overall out of a Massachusetts high school in 2011, he opted to attend Vanderbilt, where he led NCAA Division I with a school-record 14 victories and was one of three finalists for the Golden Spikes Award last spring.

When Beede is at his best, he can display three above-average pitches. His fastball usually operates around 92-94 mph and can clock as high as 97. His sharp curveball and his changeup both arrive in the low 80s, playing off his fastball well.

The biggest question with Beede is whether he'll be able to harness his quality stuff. His delivery can get out of sync. He can be unhittable but also has problems finding the strike zone.

Meh

WrongVerb
06-05-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm hoping one of the two picks first round is either Wall or Chavis (to be groomed to take over for Phillips). But I'm comfortable with two pitchers as well, although having one be a LHP wouldn't hurt.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 10:29 AM
My official guesses:

Who I want the Reds to get: Trea Turner

Who I think the Reds will get:

19: Michael Conforto (you heard it here first)
29: Forrest Wall
58: Michael Cederoth

Edd Roush
06-05-2014, 11:06 AM
My official guesses:

Who I want the Reds to get: Trea Turner

Who I think the Reds will get:

19: Michael Conforto (you heard it here first)
29: Forrest Wall
58: Michael Cederoth.

I agree Turner is the guy I will be praying to fall. I really hope you are right with Conforto (and to a lesser extent Wall). Conforto would be big for us.

I personally would be very happy with Fedde or Hoffman. Both guys would have been top 10 picks without TJ factored in.

I do not believe I am a fan of Reid-Foley. I have read a few scouting reports (can't say whether or not they are just parrroting each other or not) that say he is a future reliever. I do not want another Ryan Wagner pick.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I want Schwarber but he won't be there. I don't want Conforto as much but I wouldn't be mad about it. If Hoffman falls I'd take the risk and grab him. Reid-Foley, meh. Beede, meh (guys that have trouble throwing strikes but throw hard can be found later). I so do not want Derek Hill. Trea Turner will be gone but I'd grab him over anyone if he did fall to 19.

Edd Roush
06-05-2014, 12:12 PM
I want Schwarber but he won't be there. I don't want Conforto as much but I wouldn't be mad about it. If Hoffman falls I'd take the risk and grab him. Reid-Foley, meh. Beede, meh (guys that have trouble throwing strikes but throw hard can be found later). I so do not want Derek Hill. Trea Turner will be gone but I'd grab him over anyone if he did fall to 19.

It's not like Beede has Marmol level control. His BB/9 was less than 4 this past year (3.94 in 98.1 innings). He has three above average pitches and he is a little more advanced than the high school hurlers. Plus, I really like that his K rate has got better each year he is been at Vandy and now sits at 9.70/9.

What's the beef with Conforto? Dude has slugged at least .526 every year at Oregon State and has hit at least 7 bombs. He also has an awesome eye with this year's OBP over .500 (.506). I know he is not very good at defense, but it's not like the Reds will be asking him to play center. He should stick in the outfield and a bat like his will play. Conforto could put up some huge numbers in GABP.

I agree that Trea Turner is a stud, though. He has had at least a .418 OBP every year at NC State and steals bases at a very high percentage as well as quantity. He should also be able to stick at SS defensively which will fill a huge organizational void and since he is a college guy, he should be ready faster than a high school guy.

Ladeda
06-05-2014, 12:19 PM
I'm hoping one of the two picks first round is either Wall or Chavis (to be groomed to take over for Phillips). But I'm comfortable with two pitchers as well, although having one be a LHP wouldn't hurt.

Throw Alex Blandino into the mix there with Wall and Chavis. From what I've heard, he could be moved off of 3B to 2B.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Also, Alex Blandino is a fantastic name

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Anyone getting any good snacks together for the game tonight? My wife is out of town, so I will be making nachos with Willy's hot salsa and a 6-pack of Jackie-O's IPA.

Edd Roush
06-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Anyone getting any good snacks together for the game tonight? My wife is out of town, so I will be making nachos with Willy's hot salsa and a 6-pack of Jackie-O's IPA.

I will be grilling out some brats and whipping up a queso dip. My friends think I am crazy for being so excited for the MLB Draft, but I love it. The guy the Reds draft in the first round is likely to be in the Reds' organization for the better part of the next decade.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 12:30 PM
I will be grilling out some brats and whipping up a queso dip. My friends think I am crazy for being so excited for the MLB Draft, but I love it. The guy the Reds draft in the first round is likely to be in the Reds' organization for the better part of the next decade.

Oh yeah, everyone thinks I am crazy too. Completely agree.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 12:32 PM
No beef with Conforto except the defense as you mentioned - I agree he could be a big bat at GABP. Could end up at first base. Schwarber is my pipe dream though. Beede just bugs me - something about him, plus I think it's too high a pick for him. If Buckley likes him I'll go along though - Buckley's hits in the first 2 rounds are startlingly good, so I'll just put my faith in his eye for those early picks. After 2 rounds everyone is just guessing anyway.

Edd Roush
06-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Throw Alex Blandino into the mix there with Wall and Chavis. From what I've heard, he could be moved off of 3B to 2B.

I like Blandino, Wall and Chavis as targets, too. I do hope the Reds draft BPA rather than drafting for need, though. The only position that should not be drafted in the first five rounds is relief pitcher. I really don't like the idea of a 1B with the first two picks, but if the 1B is way better than all other positions (Schwarber), make the pick.

RED VAN HOT
06-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Not too thrilled about BA's mock draft. After weeks of most drafts looking very similar, this one shows real movement after the top few. I suspect it is more accurate, but I hope it is not. Reds are tied to two that seem to be moving down. Within the realm of the possible, I'd rather have a prep arm at 19 and Forbes at 29. I also have a hunch that Ortiz to the Cards will end badly for the Reds.

WrongVerb
06-05-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm hoping the Reds trade for Joey Gallo and draft Joey Gatto to go along with Joey Votto, just to give the announcers fits. :)

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't want Reid-Foley at all. Just feels like a total bust pick.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Doesn't Schwarber make John Kruk look like an athlete?

WrongVerb
06-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I like Blandino, Wall and Chavis as targets, too. I do hope the Reds draft BPA rather than drafting for need, though. The only position that should not be drafted in the first five rounds is relief pitcher. I really don't like the idea of a 1B with the first two picks, but if the 1B is way better than all other positions (Schwarber), make the pick.

Agreed. Ultimately it should be BPA. But I hope that BPA ends up being one of those you mentioned, so that there's a solid talent in the organization to replace Phillips.

(The Bengals held to their BPA philosophy a few weeks ago and landed Dennard...hopefully the draft gods are likewise kind to the Reds)

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I hope they go BPPA

Best Position Player Available

M2
06-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Monte Harrison, Grant Holmes, Michael Chavis, Jeff Hoffman and Kodi Medeiros are my short list for #19. Mind you, if Touki drops, I'd be all over him.

OGB
06-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Im assuming there will be separate threads for the Reds picks and then discussion of them so I wont have to wade through a 75 page thread when I get off work?

powersackers
06-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Sign me up for a ss/3b with Giancarlo Stanton power. Jacob (Jake) Gatewood. 90% chance he doesn't stick at SS. But there's a chance.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Final Wish List for 19
Trea Turner SS
Touki Toussaint RHP
Kyle Schwarber 1B/OF
Monte Harrison OF
Jeff Hoffman RHP
Sean Newcomb LHP

Final Wish List for 29
Forrest Wall 2B
Justus Sheffield LHP
Max Pentecost C
Ti'quan Forbes SS
Kodi Medeiros LHP
Michael Chavis 2B/3B

I don't want Derek Hill, Erick Fedde, Milton Ramos or Sean Reid-Foley.

Edd Roush
06-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I hope they go BPPA

Best Position Player Available

You can never have too much pitching depth. If the pitcher on the board grades out much more favorably than the best available position player, I hope the Reds go with the pitcher.

Edd Roush
06-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Monte Harrison, Grant Holmes, Michael Chavis, Jeff Hoffman and Kodi Medeiros are my short list for #19. Mind you, if Touki drops, I'd be all over him.

Aren't there concerns about Medieros' delivery which leads many to believe he is a future bullpen arm? If so, I do not want him.

Also, I would like Chavis, but he seems like a reach at #19.

lollipopcurve
06-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm liking the idea of a bat at 19 and an arm at 29. I like Chavis especially. There are going to be arms at 29 that in most years would be in the teens, if you can believe the reports.

fearofpopvol1
06-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Cross posting...

Keith Law's latest mock...

19 Touki Toussaint
SCHOOL: Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Acad.
HT: 6-2WT: 195
POS: RHP

Analysis: I think Toussaint stops here, although I also don't think it's that likely he gets that far -- it largely depends on what the Brewers do. I've also heard Cincinnati connected to Sean Reid-Foley and Spencer Adams.

PepperJack
06-05-2014, 02:09 PM
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/6/5/5782526/2014-mlb-draft-morning-thoughts

***Some personal guesses on players who might go surprisingly high: Forrest Wall, Foster Griffin, and T'Quan Forbes from the high school ranks, Jake Stinnett, Aramis Garcia, and Eric Skogland from the college ranks.

PepperJack
06-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Quotes from CTrent's draft story in the Enquirer.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2014/06/04/reds-draft/9978665/

"Chris works so hard all year long and knows these guys so well, you just rely a lot on your judgement and his faith in his scouts," Jocketty said on Wednesday. "I basically set the tone and set the philosophy of what we're trying to achieve in a particular draft. The main thing the last few days is getting that board arranged in a way we feel that strategically we get the guys we want to get."

With two picks in the first 29 this year, the Reds have more options than in the past.

"We always look for pitching first if we can, but we also now feel that we need to focus on some hitters and having two picks in the first round, we'll see how that works out," Jocketty said. "This is a draft that's deep with pitching, so we'll try to do that, look at pitching first again and see what develops.

"When you're looking at a position, where you may need help sooner, which offensively, we may be looking more for college-type hitters than high school hitters. Last year we drafted a lot of high school guys, it depends on each year and what's available in the draft."

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Any relation to Kelly Stinnett?

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 02:30 PM
"We always look for pitching first if we can, but we also now feel that we need to focus on some hitters and having two picks in the first round, we'll see how that works out," Jocketty said. "This is a draft that's deep with pitching, so we'll try to do that, look at pitching first again and see what develops.

"When you're looking at a position, where you may need help sooner, which offensively, we may be looking more for college-type hitters than high school hitters. Last year we drafted a lot of high school guys, it depends on each year and what's available in the draft."

This screams "We really, really, really want Trea Turner" to me.

Edd Roush
06-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Cross posting...

19 Touki Toussaint

Analysis: I think Toussaint stops here, although I also don't think it's that likely he gets that far -- it largely depends on what the Brewers do. I've also heard Cincinnati connected to Sean Reid-Foley and Spencer Adams.

Toussaint would be an A pick, Adams a B pick, and Reid-Foley a D pick. Landing Toussaint would be awesome.

Tom Servo
06-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Yeah reading up on Toussaint, I'm really liking the prospect of landing him.

Ladeda
06-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Cross posting...

19 Touki Toussaint

I really can't see TT falling all the way to #19. But man, I would love it if he did as he has a very high ceiling.

SirFelixCat
06-05-2014, 02:48 PM
I don't follow pre-draft much, but I do know this. Buckley has earned our trust.

Boro_BG_Red
06-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Both Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo have the Reds taking TCU lefty Brandon Finnegan at 19 and prep lefty Foster Griffin at 29.

(From Mayo's mock)
19. Cincinnati Reds: Brandon Finnegan, LHP, TCU
Finnegan very well could be taken anywhere ahead of the Reds' pick. If that happens, Cincy could have interest in a high school pitcher like Reid-Foley or an athletic high school hitter like Hill.

29. Cincinnati Reds: Foster Griffin, LHP, The First Academy (Fla.)
Griffin has helium as the Draft approaches, and there are teams above this pick who might have interest. If he's gone, the Reds could look at a prep pitcher like Adams.

I asked Keith Law, in his chat, about Finnegan. Law said there's a 75 percent chance he becomes a reliever.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 02:52 PM
If they draft a reliever in the first round I am going to be...upset.

dougdirt
06-05-2014, 02:54 PM
If they draft a reliever in the first round I am going to be...upset.

The highest the Reds have taken a for sure reliever under Buckley was the 3rd round. They took Sean Watson, who was a reliever at Tennessee in the 2nd and tried making him a starter. They took Lorenzen in the supplemental 1st, and have tried making him a starter. I don't think the Reds will be taking a guy they see as a for sure reliever in the first. They haven't done it under Buckley, or even come close.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 02:57 PM
The highest the Reds have taken a for sure reliever under Buckley was the 3rd round. They took Sean Watson, who was a reliever at Tennessee in the 2nd and tried making him a starter. They took Lorenzen in the supplemental 1st, and have tried making him a starter. I don't think the Reds will be taking a guy they see as a for sure reliever in the first. They haven't done it under Buckley, or even come close.

It's a good point. I am just questioning some of these mocks, which I know are just mocks. Weren't the Reds connected to that lefty from Gonzaga a lot last year?

What are your thoughts on this draft? Would you be happy if they go pitching again early, or do you think they should try to get the best position player available?

dougdirt
06-05-2014, 02:58 PM
It's a good point. I am just questioning some of these mocks, which I know are just mocks. Weren't the Reds connected to that lefty from Gonzaga a lot last year?

What are your thoughts on this draft? Would you be happy if they go pitching again early, or do you think they should try to get the best position player available?

I'm always a BPA guy. Always.

But, whatever they do, they have earned every right for me to say it was the right call.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm always a BPA guy. Always.

But, whatever they do, they have earned every right for me to say it was the right call.

Absolutely agree. I honestly am just looking at this selfishly, I want another hitter to track, Winker is by far my favorite player to track in the minors.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Brad Boxberger

Benihana
06-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Nick Howard seems like the kind of guy we could take at 29 or 58 and try to convert him into a starter. There are other guys I'd rather target personally, but this regime has had a lot of success with the converting college relievers to starters model.

The only way I really want two pitchers with the first two picks is if it's some combination of Toussaint, Hoffman, Newcomb, Sheffield and Medeiros. Otherwise I hope we take at least one hitter, if not two.

Edd Roush
06-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Both Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo have the Reds taking TCU lefty Brandon Finnegan at 19 and prep lefty Foster Griffin at 29.

(From Mayo's mock)
19. Cincinnati Reds: Brandon Finnegan, LHP, TCU
Finnegan very well could be taken anywhere ahead of the Reds' pick. If that happens, Cincy could have interest in a high school pitcher like Reid-Foley or an athletic high school hitter like Hill.

29. Cincinnati Reds: Foster Griffin, LHP, The First Academy (Fla.)
Griffin has helium as the Draft approaches, and there are teams above this pick who might have interest. If he's gone, the Reds could look at a prep pitcher like Adams.

I asked Keith Law, in his chat, about Finnegan. Law said there's a 75 percent chance he becomes a reliever.

I would be fine with the Finnegan pick if the Reds are going to use him as a starter. He seems like a good project for Soto. If Soto can teach him an above-average change-up to go along with that heater, his breaking ball can be below average and he can still have success.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I really don't want Sean Reid-Foley. I hope he's the next in line of Gordon Beckham, Kevin Ahrens, and Alex Wimmers as red herrings all the pundits all have the Reds taking but never end up in the organization.

dougdirt
06-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Brad Boxberger

Tried him as a starter first though.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Tried him as a starter first though.

For 13 games in his first pro season. That's hardly a try. He was a college reliever, and frankly, everyone (probably including the Reds) always expected him to continue to be a reliever. Especially considering he was quite successful through those 13 starts (3.19 ERA, 10.2 K/9) but never started another game after that.

But overall I agree with your point - I hope and believe that Buckley (like me) doesn't care for sure-fire relievers in the first 50 picks. Or in this case, the first 58.

Kc61
06-05-2014, 03:58 PM
More I read about the draft, including Jocketty quotes, I think the Reds are going to reach out for hitters in the first couple of rounds. I think they will take a college hitter in the first round, maybe a Braxton Davidson as an example maybe at 29.

The team and the farm are quite weak on offensive talent and the Reds know it.

I know it's a pitching draft, and I would go with BPA, but if I were guessing I'd say names to watch for the Reds are Chavis, Gatewood, and Davidson.

Guessing can forget about the highest ranked players, the Reds will be going for offense all the way, even if ranked lower in the publications.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 04:04 PM
More I read about the draft, including Jocketty quotes, I think the Reds are going to reach out for hitters in the first couple of rounds. I think they will take a college hitter in the first round, maybe a Braxton Davidson as an example.

The team and the farm are quite weak on offensive talent and the Reds know it.

I know it's a pitching draft, but if I were guessing I'd say names to watch for the Reds are Chavis, Gatewood, and Davidson.

Guessing think you can forget about the highest ranked players, the Reds will be going for offense all the way, even if ranked lower in the publications.

Davidson is a HS player, but I see your point.

Even Sickels is now mocking Finnegan to the Reds. Finnegan is officially the pundits' choice du jour. While there are some others I'd rather have more, I prefer Finnegan to Reid-Foley.

JMO
06-05-2014, 04:11 PM
I want Schwarber, Gatewood or C Gillaspie at 19.

I want Medrieros, Spencer Adams, Reid-Foley or Michael Gettys at 29.

If Gatewood pans out, we'd have a STUD with Stanton/Tulo power in the INF.

Reds just need to stick with the BPA approach. A college bat at 19, a HS SP at 29. I hope they take a risk with Gatewood, please do not let the Cards snatch him up. Then he'd automatically turn into Tulo, hit .300 30 HR 100 RBI every year, lol.

Boro_BG_Red
06-05-2014, 04:27 PM
I'd love for Schwarber to drop. Went to a Reds game a few years ago with a large group of people. Schwarber happened to be a mutual friend. He attempted to predict the pitch and location before every pitch. It was annoying at the time but he definitely likes to think with the pitcher. It doesn't hurt that he grew up a Reds fan.

edabbs44
06-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Pete Kozma

Kc61
06-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Davidson is a HS player, but I see your point.

Even Sickels is now mocking Finnegan to the Reds. Finnegan is officially the pundits' choice du jour. While there are some others I'd rather have more, I prefer Finnegan to Reid-Foley.

Oops on Davidson. But I do think they will go for a lot of hitters early. Usually when the mocks in baseball are that consistent, they know something. But even if they take Finnegan first, the Reds are usually not so subtle. They need hitting in the organization, I think they will take a lot of hitters even if they have to reach.

BA's mock this morning had Finnegan going down at 31, but obviously that's only one mock draft.

Schmitbuck
06-05-2014, 04:55 PM
The guy I want to Reds to get at 29 is the guy the Cardinals draft at 27.

mdccclxix
06-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Is it me, or is there a lack of high quality control type pitchers this year in the first round?

Ladeda
06-05-2014, 06:00 PM
I would be fine with the Finnegan pick if the Reds are going to use him as a starter. He seems like a good project for Soto. If Soto can teach him an above-average change-up to go along with that heater, his breaking ball can be below average and he can still have success.

Do not want. The shoulder issues this spring scare me. Not to mention that TCU pitchers get ridden hard and there's probably a good shot he ends up being more effective in relief in the long term.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Max Pentecost | C | Kennesaw State | 6′ 2″ | 190 lbs | B/T: R/R

I would like to draft him. it would provide Catching depth in the system.

Ladeda
06-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Would like to see Adams @ 1.19 and Braxton Davidson @ 1.29. I have a feeling Wall be taken by the Royals and Chavis won't be there @ 1.29, so they end up taking Davidson.

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I have no idea and never followed a baseball draft before.. so I hope to learn something about the players the reds will draft

dougdirt
06-05-2014, 06:50 PM
I have no idea and never followed a baseball draft before.. so I hope to learn something about the players the reds will draft

Here are some simple rules: There will be plenty of overreaction in one way or the other. Even the college guys are 2-3 years away from being with the Reds. The high schoolers are at least 3-4 years away. There will be plenty of comparisons made and they are almost always wrong. What I've learned is that a lot of comparisons aren't as much about what the guy will perform like, but more about what he actually looks like when swinging or throwing. People will hold grudges for 10 years because the Reds didn't select the player that they wanted if that guy turns out to be any sort of good, regardless of how well the guy the Reds select actually turns out.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Would like to see Adams @ 1.19 and Braxton Davidson @ 1.29. I have a feeling Wall be taken by the Royals and Chavis won't be there @ 1.29, so they end up taking Davidson.

Royals will take Medeiros if he's there at 28. Cubs will likely take one of the three arms if they're there, otherwise might look to Schwarber. I think his floor is the Angels at 15 as the eventual successor to Pujols.

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Here are some simple rules: There will be plenty of overreaction in one way or the other. Even the college guys are 2-3 years away from being with the Reds. The high schoolers are at least 3-4 years away. There will be plenty of comparisons made and they are almost always wrong. What I've learned is that a lot of comparisons aren't as much about what the guy will perform like, but more about what he actually looks like when swinging or throwing. People will hold grudges for 10 years because the Reds didn't select the player that they wanted if that guy turns out to be any sort of good, regardless of how well the guy the Reds select actually turns out.

I did expect the overreactions and I knew that they are some years away from (hopefully) contributing with the Reds (thatīs different to the nfl and nhl)... how many time does each team has to make a pick?

dougdirt
06-05-2014, 06:59 PM
I did expect the overreactions and I knew that they are some years away from (hopefully) contributing with the Reds (thatīs different to the nfl and nhl)... how many time does each team has to make a pick?

Tonight, I believe you get 5 minutes between picks in the first round and 2 or 3 minutes for the second. Tomorrow I think its 1 minute between picks (rounds 3-10). On Saturday it is literally just "have your next pick ready" and they are usually onto the next pick pretty quickly as they get rounds 11-40 done in one day.

texasdave
06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
The only hard and fast rule that I would subscribe to is this: Pick a pitcher in the first round every single year. The only exception is if a position player fell a long way.

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Tonight, I believe you get 5 minutes between picks in the first round and 2 or 3 minutes for the second. Tomorrow I think its 1 minute between picks (rounds 3-10). On Saturday it is literally just "have your next pick ready" and they are usually onto the next pick pretty quickly as they get rounds 11-40 done in one day.

thanks, thatīs good to know! I watched the nfl draft once and it took forever until the next pick was announced (at 3 am it is even more annoying than it would be at 7pm) ;)

06-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Welsh told a story during today's game the the didn't even know he was drafted until the next day when he mother called him and told him that she read in the newspaper that he was drafted.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 07:11 PM
BA final mock has OF Bradley Zimmer at 19 and LHP Foster Griffin at 29. Historically the final BA mock tends to be the most accurate of the mocks. Zimmer could be interesting, not a name we've talked a lot about.

dougdirt
06-05-2014, 07:12 PM
BA final mock has OF Bradley Zimmer at 19 and LHP Foster Griffin at 29. Historically the final BA mock tends to be the most accurate of the mocks. Zimmer could be interesting, not a name we've talked a lot about.

It is the most accurate, but once you get beyond the first 10 picks, even the most accurate is wrong more often than its right.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Awareness of the draft has changed so much. The first player I consciously remember the Reds drafting is Barry Larkin. The draft was so background even players were often not notified right away. Bench, for instance, I heard of while he was playing in the minors and talk was that this kid would take Edwards job away. When he arrived late that year it was mentioned he was the #2 pick in the draft. Never heard a word about it when he was drafted.

- - - Updated - - -

As expected Astros take Aiken.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:13 PM
The Houston Astros with the First overall pick select Brady Aiken

Tom Servo
06-05-2014, 07:14 PM
That kid is a high schooler? He looks older than me and I graduated college two years ago. :lol:

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:15 PM
This is an alcohol lounge, Tom....either ID up or leave

Benihana
06-05-2014, 07:17 PM
It is the most accurate, but once you get beyond the first 10 picks, even the most accurate is wrong more often than its right.

Sure that's true. Will note however that they did have Ervin to the Reds last year. They may? have had Stephenson to the Reds as well in 2011. Definitely did not have Travieso pegged in 2012- no one did.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Haha, I was thinking same thing, tom. Guy looks like a 30 year old movie star.

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 07:18 PM
itīs incredible how few I know about a game I really appreciate to watch :laugh:... I watched every reds game this year, yet I never paid much attention about the exact motions the pitchers do etc...

RedlegJake
Kolek to the Marlins. Fish got a fireballer

RedTeamGo!
I ended up getting Hop Devil IPA, it's wonderful.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Final predictions everyone?

I'll say 2B Forrest Wall.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:19 PM
The Marlins select Tyler KoleK

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:20 PM
The Rodon Slide has begun

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 07:22 PM

I'm sticking with my morning prediction:

OF Michael Confarto

Boro_BG_Red
06-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Casey Gillaspie

JMO
06-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Kyle Schwarber, Gatewood, C Gillapsie

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Good Rodon to white Sox keeps him away from Cubs.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Rodon slide ended very quickly

WrongVerb
06-05-2014, 07:26 PM
I predict the Reds will select the BPA according to their board.

I HOPE it's someone that can eventually play 2b at the major league level or a solid pitcher.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Carlos Rodon was a good pick by the Whitesox.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I am hoping for Pentecost or Gatewood.

dougdirt
Cubs reportedly taking Schwarber. Signability pick that lets them spend more later.

tomnuetten
Carlos Rodon was a good pick by the Whitesox.

Iīm not an expert but I know that only the future will show if it was a good one :D

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Doug got it - Cubs take Kyle Schwarber

JMO
06-05-2014, 07:33 PM
CRAP.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Cubs select C Kyle Schwarber

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 07:34 PM
sad to see a cincinnati reds fan with the cubs :cry:

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 07:34 PM
It hurts my heart that a cinci red die hard fan that models his game after Joey Votto was drafted by the freaking Cubs.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Yeah, his interview makes you want him in a Reds uni

JMO
06-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Dangit, he would have been the most perfect fit for the Reds. Fast track middle of the order LF with great make up, great teammate and models his game after Votto. Stupid Cubs.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Man, cubs farm is loaded. They are scary moving forward.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Twins get Gordon the best overall SS prospect

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Twins select Ss Nick Gordon.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Flash was dealt a pretty cool hand with his two sons

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Gordon may be as close as it gets to "sure thing" with his pedigree

dougdirt
06-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Dangit, he would have been the most perfect fit for the Reds. Fast track middle of the order LF with great make up, great teammate and models his game after Votto. Stupid Cubs.

He is SLOW. I would be surprised if he can actually play left field in todays game where more and more left fielders are former center fielders that can still run a bit.

Tom Servo
06-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Man, cubs farm is loaded. They are scary moving forward.
Thankfully, they are the Cubs, so they will screw it up.

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Thankfully, they are the Cubs, so they will screw it up.

and the moment you wrote this travis wood hit a 2 run homerun against the mets and they lead 3-0

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:45 PM
There goes Alex Jackson, Mariners

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Seattle selects Alex Jackson.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Phils pick 7th - how they've fallen

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:49 PM
really no surprises. Cubs reach a tiny bit maybe at 4 but it's still a solid pick

blumj
06-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Phils pick 7th - how they've fallen
The Red Sox picked 7th last year.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Phillies select AAron Nola

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:52 PM
The Red Sox picked 7th last year.

Yeah but they bounced back - the Phils are getting worse

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Nola could be the Leake pick for 2014

M2
06-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Nola could be the Leake pick for 2014

That's been the book on him. Very little doubt he's going to pitch in the majors.

blumj
06-05-2014, 07:56 PM
It just struck me as kind of funny that it was the same pick.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Rox take Kyle Freeland

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Rockies Kyle Freeland

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 07:58 PM
home state pick for Rockies - kid will popular if he makes it.

OK, wrong. Freeland is from Indiana. I had it somehow in my mind he was from Colorado

Rojo
06-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Gordon may be as close as it gets to "sure thing" with his pedigree

I wonder if his brother's resurgence helped him a bit.

06-05-2014, 08:00 PM

If the Phillies could find someone to take Rollins and Howard off their books, they could bounce back too.

dougdirt
06-05-2014, 08:03 PM
I wonder if his brother's resurgence helped him a bit.

Teams aren't dumb. What his brother did had no effect on him in the eyes of teams.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Blue Jays Jeff Hoffman

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Hoffman to Jays and I'm surprised a bit.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 08:05 PM
All the players I want at 19 are sliding

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 08:06 PM
they drafted someone with season ending tommy john surgery? are the other rhp left that much worse?

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:07 PM
That's why I'm surprised Tom. He'll miss a full year so it has ti be what they said - a dollar wise pick

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 08:07 PM
No, he just has nasty stuff and tj isn't as scary as it used to be

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:08 PM
No, he just has nasty stuff and tj isn't as scary as it used to be

Missing a full 15 months for recovery is thought provoking for the 9th pick - its like getting next years #1 this year

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 08:09 PM
That's why I'm surprised Tom. He'll miss a full year so it has ti be what they said - a dollar wise pick

a dollar wise pick? I donīt really understand what they mean... is it because they donīt want to pay the big bucks to him (and with his injury he canīt demand much)? but is the money that much? is there a salary limit for rookies?

lots of questions because I have no idea

RedlegJake
well Conforto is gone

RedTeamGo!
Darn, spoke too soon

Rojo
Teams aren't dumb. What his brother did had no effect on him in the eyes of teams.

Not consciously, no.

Gallen5862
The Mets select Michael Conforto

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Tom each team has a pool of money for their top ten picks. If you save a bunch on #1 you have more for the next picks to entice them to sign

Top ten rounds I should say - some have more than ten picks

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Tom each team has a pool of money for their top ten picks. If you save a bunch on #1 you have more for the next picks to entice them to sign

ah ok... that makes sence

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:12 PM
You are penalized rather severely if you overspend your total limit - you can pay it all to one guy, theoretically, or spread it out. If you save on pick one maybe your 7th or 8th pick is college bound and you can overpay him to sign because you have dollars available

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Tom also if a player does not sign within the first ten rounds then you lose his slot money.

Chuckie
06-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Drafting players "because they will sign under slot" is how things like Chris Gruler happen.

RedlegJake
First day of draft is done for Mets fans

tomnuetten
You are penalized rather severely if you overspend your total limit - you can pay it all to one guy, theoretically, or spread it out. If you save on pick one maybe your 7th or 8th pick is college bound and you can overpay him to sign because you have dollars available

ok how many of the top ten picks of every team donīt sign a contract (I know that itīs hard to give an accurate number but I have no idea so a roughly guess would be good enough) ;)

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Drafting players "because they will sign under slot" is how things like Chris Gruler happen.

It was a different system altogether then - Gruler was because our owner was cheap skate

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:16 PM
There goes Pentecost.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:17 PM
ok how many of the top ten picks of every team donīt sign a contract (I know that itīs hard to give an accurate number but I have no idea so a roughly guess would be good enough) ;)

I would say probably 85% maybe more. The top ten usually sign. Not always though. And you get that pick over the following year if #1,2 or 3 don't sign but you lose the slot money that year. You don;t sign your #1 then next year you get to pick in the same spot again.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Hopefully Turner or gatewood are still there for the Reds.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Papa wants Turner

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:20 PM
I like the Jays #11 pick, Pentecost will be good - and it makes the Hoffman gamble more understandable

WrongVerb
Chavis
Blandino
Wall
Gatewood
Holmes
Adams
Reid-Foley
Hill
Harrison
Toussant
Forbes

All still available

M2
It was a different system altogether then - Gruler was because our owner was cheap skate

Exactly. The Jays had to be a little budget conscious on that pick because they have another pick coming up in the 1st round. Plus, Hoffman was top 5 before the injury.

RedTeamGo!
Max Pentecost is also a really cool name

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Brew Crew takes Medeiros

Rojo
06-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Jays take Pentecost

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Kodi Mederios to the brewers.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Slight reach but not too much

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 08:24 PM
itīs fun to watch those young guys giving one of the first professionel interviews... :laugh:

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:27 PM
It has to be exciting putting your name on the draft board.

lollipopcurve
06-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Medeiros, nasty is nasty -- so long as he repeats his mechanics, and he looks like an athletic kid who can do that, he should be no more of an injury risk than any other high-velo 18 year old.

Wouldn't have minded the Reds taking him.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Padres pick Trea Turner...DARNIT!!!!

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:29 PM
That was one of the Shortstops I wanted.

Rojo
06-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Why does a young guy's speed drop?

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 08:31 PM
I donīt know him, but listening to the "experts" it sounds like another cozart (with more speed) ;)

Boro_BG_Red
06-05-2014, 08:33 PM
I guess, at this point, I'm hoping for Touki Toussant.

M2
06-05-2014, 08:34 PM
I want the Giants to pick so the Reds appear on the MLBtv scroll.

dougdirt
I donīt know him, but listening to the "experts" it sounds like another cozart (with more speed) ;)

I've never been a big fan of the Turner to the Reds pick. Drafting a below-average hitter with below-average power in the first round just seems like a bad bet, even if he can catch or play shortstop. You should be able to find guys like that in free agency every year for a couple million bucks. Don't waste premium draft picks on them.

Gallen5862
Is Gatewood projected to stick at SS or move to 3rd base?

M2
I guess, at this point, I'm hoping for Touki Toussant.

I've been hoping for that since the winter.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Giants pick Tyler Beede RHP at #14...

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Tyler Beede to Giants.

corkedbat
06-05-2014, 08:36 PM
These guys are being fed the picks a minute or two before they go to the podium to make them look good.

WrongVerb
06-05-2014, 08:36 PM
How do folks feel about Newcomb if he slides?

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 08:37 PM
I've never been a big fan of the Turner to the Reds pick. Drafting a below-average hitter with below-average power in the first round just seems like a bad bet, even if he can catch or play shortstop. You should be able to find guys like that in free agency every year for a couple million bucks. Don't waste premium draft picks on them.

who do you want the reds to draft at #19?

M2
06-05-2014, 08:37 PM
http://twiki.org/p/pub/Codev/TWikiMascot/twikiRobot158x170.jpg

Beede, Beede, Beede

Benihana
06-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Wish list with four picks in front of the Reds:

1. Toussaint RHP
2. Harrison OF
3. Newcomb LHP
4. Wall 2B
5. Sheffield LHP
6. Chavis INF
7. Forbes INF

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Angels pick Sean Newcombe LHP

tomnuetten
06-05-2014, 08:40 PM

angels didnīt let it happen

Benihana
There goes Newcomb.

Let's go Toussaint, Harrison, or Wall! Now we should be assured of having a shot at (at least) one of them.

Gallen5862
Sean Newcombe

WrongVerb

Um, never mind. :)

Benihana
Mock favorites Zimmer, Finnegan and Reid-Foley still on the board. Please no Reid-Foley. I hope he goes in these next two picks.

powersackers
Is Gatewood projected to stick at SS or move to 3rd base?

Still hoping we get him. He'll try and stick at ss. Ripken stuck.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Guys I really hope go in the next three picks (before the Reds):

Reid-Foley, D.Hill, Fedde

- - - Updated - - -

Dammit - Toussaint to Dbacks...

JMO
06-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Toussiant, Gatewood, Gillaspie

5TimeWSChamps
06-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Toussant to AZ

Chuckie
06-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Kinda wish we would have been a little worse last year ... just so we could have drafted Trea Turner.

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Snakes at 16 pick Touki Tussaint....another darn

Tom Servo
Damn you la russa!!!

Gallen5862
Its just now being announced on my mlb network on tv. How did you get the pick quicker?

Chuckie
Reds are in the hole.

David Cubbedge
What about Grant Holmes?

Benihana
06-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Well...

Harrison, Wall, Sheffield, Chavis, Forbes

In that order...

PuffyPig

Actually you can't, because if you spent all your money on your first pick, you couldn't sign your other 9, and you'd lose that money that was allocated for those picks.

As you say though, when you sign someone for under slot, then you can sign someone else for over slot. But not signing someone doesn't give you any extra money for others.

JMO
Gatewood please, if he gets by the Nats. Casey Gillaspie as well.

Boro_BG_Red
With Toussaint gone, I'd love to get Chavis, Holmes, or Gillaspie. A lot of scouts like Hill, but the hit tool scared me.

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:47 PM
The Royals are still on the clock.

tomnuetten
Its just now being announced on my mlb network on tv. How did you get the pick quicker?

I thought the same.. I watched still boring commercials and they already knew it

Benihana
I'm starting to believe (predict) that Brad Zimmer will be the Reds pick. Not the best but not the worst either...

M2
06-05-2014, 08:48 PM
What about Grant Holmes?

I'd be pretty stoked if the Reds get him.

RedlegJake
Actually you can't, because if you spent all your money on your first pick, you couldn't sign your other 9, and you'd lose that money that was allocated for those picks.

As you say though, when you sign someone for under slot, then you can sign someone else for over slot. But not signing someone doesn't give you any extra money for others.
That's true. I didn;t think about that. OK. You;d have to leave a buck apiece! LOL

lollipopcurve
I'm starting to believe (predict) that Brad Zimmer will be the Reds pick. Not the best but not the worst either...

KC may take him to pair with his brother...

corkedbat
06-05-2014, 08:49 PM
I like Harrison, Zimmer or one of the HS arms

Benihana
06-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Finnegan to KC

Gallen5862
06-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Royals select Brandon Finnegan

RedlegJake
Yeah my MLB is on delay evidently - I'm now way behind Beni

powersackers
Those of you ahead of us on mlb tv.... wish you wouldn't announce

Chuckie
Reds on deck.

RedTeamGo!
Yes! Finnegan off the board !

JMO
06-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Zimmer and Holmes are left. I want Gillaspie or Luis Ortiz.

Benihana
Here we go with five minutes (and one team) until Reds pick-

Hoping for Harrison or Wall...

Prediction is Zimmer or Wall...

Chuckie
Those of you ahead of us on mlb.tv.... wish you wouldn't announce

Well, if you just want to see the results on MLB.TV, don't read this thread until after you see a pick is made. I like seeing the picks as fast as they come in.

Benihana
06-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Those of you ahead of us on mlb tv.... wish you wouldn't announce

Ok I'll stop

Vander
06-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Please Nats... Please don't pick Grant Holmes...

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 08:55 PM
This is intense. I want offense

Tom Servo
06-05-2014, 08:56 PM
On the clock.

JMO
Holmes would be a good pick. I really want Gatewood or Gillaspie.

Chuckie
Can't we get Jim Bowden to make this pick? Are the Nats in need of some "5-tool" flameout?

Gallen5862
Nationals select erick fedde

tomnuetten
in 5 minutes we know who the reds have picked... I like the intensity altough I donīt know the players :D

Hillsdale87
JJ Cooper reports that the Reds are taking Nick Howard from Virginia

Chuckie
Reds are AT BAT.

RedTeamGo!
06-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Fedde!

Reds get some offense!!!!

WrongVerb
Can't we get Jim Bowden to make this pick? Are the Nats in need of some "5-tool" flameout?

Bowden would have taken Hill

Benihana
WE'RE ON THE CLOCK

Final Wish List with Who Is On The Board
1. Harrison OF
2. Wall 2B
3. Chavis INF
4. Forbes INF
5. Sheffield LHP
6. Holmes RHP
7. Zimmer OF

Please no Hill or Reid-Foley. My prediction is Zimmer or Wall.

LoganBuck
06-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Fedde to tje Nats

M2
I like the way the board has shaken out for the Reds. Now make a good pick.

corkedbat
JJ Cooper reports that the Reds are taking Nick Howard from Virginia

A closer? Blech (unless he's got starter upside)

Benihana
06-05-2014, 08:59 PM
JJ Cooper has Reds taking Nick Howard from Virginia

DAMMIT!!!!! I feared that might happen.

RedTeamGo!
Who the hell is nick Howard???

JMO
Holmes or Harrison, Gillapsie as well.

WrongVerb
06-05-2014, 09:00 PM
And my mlb.com feed goes dead. Nice

tomnuetten
what is wrong with the mlb feed...

I wait until 3am to see the reds pick and 2 minutes before the pick gets announced the mlb feed dies?

powersackers
What a waste

Wow, that seems to suck.

JMO
Nick Howard? WTF, a joke.

Gallen5862
Reds Nick Howard

Tom Servo
A closer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHRMeRszw4

I believe in Buckley.

06-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Reminds me of the Ryan Wagner pick

RedTeamGo!
Awful pick. Awful. :bang:

reds44
Sounds a lot like Lorenzen. Good athlete.

Hillsdale87
It looks like he started until this year and then became a closer. His fastball jumped from 95 to 98 this year. So hopefully the plan is for him to become a starter

RedlegJake
06-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Uhhh...Nick Howard? Oh my.

tomnuetten
did we just pick a college closer?! :eek:

blame dusty

Chuckie
If Buckley didn't have a good track record, I'd probably be extremely worried about that pick. As it stands? Not worried.

corkedbat
Gammon says he can easily move to the rotation, but still...gotta wonder if he wouldn't have been there at 29.

Kingspoint
06-05-2014, 09:03 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/nick-howard-adds-heat-to-his-mlb-draft-propects--and-virginia-baseball/2014/06/04/ed96bbea-ec17-11e3-93d2-edd4be1f5d9e_story.html

He doesn’t recall the exact moment when the fastball that rarely reached 95 mph suddenly jumped to 98 mph. He only heard about it from awestruck teammates, who could no longer keep up in the batter’s box.

Gallen5862
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/nick-howard-adds-heat-to-his-mlb-draft-propects--and-virginia-baseball/2014/06/04/ed96bbea-ec17-11e3-93d2-edd4be1f5d9e_story.html

Howard, though, will mostly shrug. He doesn’t recall the exact moment when the fastball that rarely reached 95 mph suddenly jumped to 98 mph. He only heard about it from awestruck teammates, who could no longer keep up in the batter’s box.

“Still, I don’t really believe it’s happening,” Howard said.

This, though, is what will make his prospects in Major League Baseball’s first-year player draft, which begins Thursday, even more remarkable. There’s a good chance Howard, a former All-Met from St. John’s, will be a first-round pick after establishing himself as one of the nation’s top closers this year, setting an ACC and Virginia record with 19 saves heading into this weekend’s super regional against Maryland. The winner of the best-of-three series will advance to the College World Series in Omaha.

But his status as a surefire prospect only materialized in the past year. During the 2013 college season, Howard was a versatile two-way player who hit .323 manning third base and shortstop and posted a 6-4 record and a 3.38 ERA as Virginia’s No. 3 starter.

That helped him earn a spot with the Hardwick Mariners in the prestigious Cape Cod summer league, but his statistics there were modest. In six starts, the Olney native had a 4.26 ERA and hit .276 in 76 at-bats. Howard, though, views this as a turning point.

Chuckie
Sounds a lot like Lorenzen. Good athlete.

Was thinking the exact same thing. (Which goes to show how good of value Lorenzen was.)

RedTeamGo!
Wow. I am beyond disappointed. Freaking terrible.