PDA

View Full Version : Cozart's Swing

jordan_tm
06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
I was just wondering, does anyone else notice that Cozart appears to swing straight up in the air? Watch him every time he hits the ball in the air, he looks like he's about to faceplant into the ground from being off-balance. It's probably why 50% of his outs seem to be weak popups.

CoachBombay
06-05-2014, 11:33 AM
I was just wondering, does anyone else notice that Cozart appears to swing straight up in the air? Watch him every time he hits the ball in the air, he looks like he's about to faceplant into the ground from being off-balance. It's probably why 50% of his outs seem to be weak popups.

Cozart mostly grounds out to the 3rd basemen. If you want to talk about someone who pops out too much. Chris Heisey would be the one.

jordan_tm
06-05-2014, 11:51 AM
His groundouts to 3B and SS would be the other 50% of his outs.

I'd like to see him take more of a compact, short-swing approach.

malcontent
06-05-2014, 12:21 PM
That has to be why he pops out to the right side 50% of the time.

The fact that he's been doing it forever and he's now 28 tells me the Reds either don't care about it or can't get him to change it.

He's 166 out of 169 in OPS right now. And the notion as expressed by Price a few weeks ago that he could somehow develop into an offensive force is beyond comical.

He seems like a great kid, great teammate. He is an excellent defensive SS. But this lineup cannot hide that bat.

PERHitKing
06-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I heard Chris Welsh comment Wednesday during the game, about how it seemed to him Cozart was off balnce in his swing, with his head down and forward of his body, so he could not generate any real bat speed or solid contact with pitchs away.

jojo
06-06-2014, 01:11 PM
I'll take "Things that aren't effective" for $200 please.....

David Cubbedge
06-06-2014, 04:05 PM

I have been saying this very thing to myself for weeks. They don't seem to be working on this at all either. If we can see it, we have to believe that they see it too, right?

JMO
06-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Cozart is the primary reason I did NOT want to trade Didi Gregorius. Bad move, even though we got Choo. NO way would I traded him.

bmwreds31
06-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Im not sure if im in the twilight zone here. But i always thought cozart is a ground ball king. I dont know how to look up that stat but i would love to know the percentage of his balls in play on the ground compared to in the air. My guess would be around 70% ground balls.

Ravenlord
06-07-2014, 11:29 AM
16.3% Strike Out, 31.1% Ground Ball Outs, 47.4% Air Ball Outs (this includes fly balls, pop-ups, and line drives). and he's easily got the worst swing I've ever seen a position player have on a consistent basis.

RedsBrick
06-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Cozart is the primary reason I did NOT want to trade Didi Gregorius. Bad move, even though we got Choo. NO way would I traded him.

I think absence makes the heart grow fonder. Gregorius is not really a better player than Cozart. Numbers are about the same except Cozart has more pop (comparing 2013 numbers, DGs only full season in MLB). Cozart does K more. I was also surprised to learn Gregorius didn't steal a base last year...not one in 404 PA.

Really the biggest difference now is Gregorius is no longer the starting SS for his team while Cozart is for the Reds.

RedlegJake
06-09-2014, 12:30 PM
I agree Redsbrick. At best Gregorious is a marginal improvement. What getting Gregorious back would do is improve the spot Ramon Santiago occupies. We'd still have a light hitting starting SS no matter which one played.

malcontent
06-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Gregorius 2014 (AZ): .313 .450 .688 1.138

(Raisor-independent sample size)

faffy42
06-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Dear reds batting coach,
Please give hitting instruction to cozart.
Thanks!!
A Reds fan

jordan_tm
06-10-2014, 03:57 PM
16.3% Strike Out, 31.1% Ground Ball Outs, 47.4% Air Ball Outs (this includes fly balls, pop-ups, and line drives). and he's easily got the worst swing I've ever seen a position player have on a consistent basis.

Well, I was close with my 50% guess.

scotly50
06-11-2014, 08:23 AM
He is struggling. And seems to be trying anything.

Redeyecat
06-17-2014, 07:39 PM
While I'll admit some swings are "prettier" than others, I'm mostly of the whatever works school. Frazier has taken his share of criticism for his swing over the years (see the Law/Frazier thread on the ORG), but for some reason it seems to have quieted down this year when he just happens to be the best hitting 3B in baseball so far.

Redeyecat
06-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Back to Cozart. Let's see how he finishes out the year and re-evaluate things then. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this season ends up similar to last year with an awful start following by a fairly solid 2nd half+ to create a pretty decent year overall by shortstop standards. Looking at his career hitting splits shows that March/April, May and July are his worst, while August, June and Sept/Oct are his best. One thing that would really help out would be if his power returns.

Tony Cloninger
06-17-2014, 08:14 PM
He is struggling. And seems to be trying anything.

He seems to be trying to do the same thing over and over to me.

It would behoove him if he was introduced to RF and tried going the other way more....as it would Heisey....and even Mez and Todd when they get into slumps.

They are all very pull conscious. No hitting up the middle or going to RF much at all.

WaiteHoyt
06-30-2014, 11:25 PM
going into July 1 he is hitting 250 over the last 27 games with an OBP of .301. 14 runs, 1 hr 9 rbi 6 walks and 17 SO. What are boarders expectations for a strong defensive SS?

RedlegJake
07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Waite, I agree with you and the numbers you posted are pretty fair by today's SS standards. It seems when a guy gets off to bad start everyone wants to dump him immediately. Cozart is not even a black hole by #8 hitter standards. I think he could be upgraded but the cost would be enormous. Anyone with a SS who has equivalent defense and is actually a better hitter either won't give them up or would expect a huge haul in return. As for his swing the biggest thing I see is that he still gets hooked on that low outside pitch. Yakkers especially, but even a fb off that outer low corner seems to be irresistible to him.