PDA

View Full Version : Votto Back; Lutz Optioned

jordan_tm
06-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Votto is back with the club tonight and batting 3rd. Lutz optioned back to AAA. Price didn't exactly give Votto a clean bill of health: "He's better now as opposed to when he went on DL. Won't be 100% until next year. Might need periodic days off for soreness."

He may be in some serious pain, but never in my life have I heard of someone so hampered playing baseball by a "sore" muscle. Whatever happened to old school heat and ice therapy? Is it possible that there is more to this injury than just a sore muscle? Given the Reds medical history and handling of injuries, it wouldn't surprise me.

Either way, it's good to have Joey back.

Kevin1476
06-10-2014, 04:47 PM
I agree with you about being more then just a sore muscle? Another thing that I don't understand is why Lutz has to go down if Joey is going to get days off from time to time for the nagging injury. Lutz can play 1b and OF. I rather see Lutz get the Playing time then Bernadina in the OF or Frazier/Pena at 1b.

jordan_tm
06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I honestly had forgotten about Bernadina even being on the team.

KYRedLeg
06-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I honestly had forgotten about Bernadina even being on the team.

I keep trying to forget.

Redeyecat
06-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Glad Votto's back. WRT Lutz, it looks like the Reds prefer to use Pena when Votto needs a rest. Then in the OF, Bernadina seems to be playing a little better plus you can use him as pinch runner and defensive replacement. Finally factor in the presumption that Lutz needs ABs and I think it makes sense to send him down to AAA.

scotly50
06-11-2014, 08:20 AM
I wish I could get exited about Votto coming back. But he was not making a difference when he was playing before.

I think he, and Bruce, have been exposed. They are both being pitched inside and are not able to handle the pitch.

NC-Red
06-11-2014, 12:26 PM
I wish I could get exited about Votto coming back. But he was not making a difference when he was playing before.

I think he, and Bruce, have been exposed. They are both being pitched inside and are not able to handle the pitch.

agreed. I've always said Votto is not a superstar player you build your team around, but someone who goes to a championship team and becomes their missing piece/second best player

SlimJim11
06-11-2014, 02:07 PM
The team averaged around 3.13 runs per game while Votto was out. It was around 3.77 with him in the lineup. Thats a difference of a little over 100 runs for a season. The difference in 2nd in the NL in runs last year and 14th was 104 runs. So you know, not much of a difference.

bmwreds31
06-11-2014, 02:29 PM
There were other injuries aside from just votto during vottos time off.

SlimJim11
06-11-2014, 02:31 PM
And there were other injuries when Votto was healthy. In fact there were more injuries pre Votto injury than during his injury.

Redeyecat
06-17-2014, 07:35 PM
agreed. I've always said Votto is not a superstar player you build your team around, but someone who goes to a championship team and becomes their missing piece/second best player

I think that depends upon your list/criteria of superstar players you build your team around. Care to share your list? However, you define/classify it, Votto was clearly that type of player in 2010 (2012 as well although he missed a lot of games). Whether he still is, especially in terms of power, remains to be seen. I think he's got some big seasons still in him.

RedlegJake
06-24-2014, 10:48 AM
The key with Votto is to let him cuss....

jordan_tm
06-24-2014, 11:53 AM
The key with Votto is to let him cuss....
I'm hearing that FS Ohio will start having the TV-MA stamp on all the telecasts now.