PDA

View Full Version : JJ Hoover in Extras?

tnarg515
07-11-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm surprised I couldn't easily find a thread for this after yesterday's game, but does anyone know HOW many games JJ Hoover has blown in extra innings? The first game against the mets in April he gave up a grand slam to lose, and I feel like it cursed him. I want to say 5 times, but I'm not entirely sure.

Can someone figure out what games he's lost in extras and then explain to me why price keeps putting him in when the score is tied?

CySeymour
07-11-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm surprised I couldn't easily find a thread for this after yesterday's game, but does anyone know HOW many games JJ Hoover has blown in extra innings? The first game against the mets in April he gave up a grand slam to lose, and I feel like it cursed him. I want to say 5 times, but I'm not entirely sure.

Can someone figure out what games he's lost in extras and then explain to me why price keeps putting him in when the score is tied?

Broxton, Lecure and Chapman had already been used. Who did you want the Reds to use?

dfs
07-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Baseball reference has game logs of appearances.

Memory is a funny thing. Hoover has been brought into the game in extra innings this year three times. He (and the reds) have lost two of those games.

The mets game in april was a 9th inning loss.

dfs
07-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Broxton, Lecure and Chapman had already been used. Who did you want the Reds to use?

and parra and diaz.....there just were not options.

RedlegJake
07-11-2014, 11:41 AM
At that point it was Hoover's game to win or lose. With a critical series this weekend and a banged up squad I'm glad the game didn't go more innings.

RedFanAlways1966
07-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Or JJ Hoover never toes the rubber if the REDS can score just one run in innings 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11. Of course the offense has some injuries. But we are not talking about pitchers named Kershaw or Wainwright. Rather... Hendricks, Russell, Strop, N. Ramirez, H. Rondon and B. Parker. UGH!

We could also blame Broxton. But considering his ERA of 0.87 (3ER in 31IP) this season, we need to be more forgiving towards him. :)

RedlegJake
07-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Yeah - if only he hadn't stuck his glove up on that chopper...inning over, no damage

tnarg515
07-12-2014, 11:27 PM

OK, you're right about that Mets game being in the ninth. I guess it's not just extras, its any tied game...

but then again tonight, 7/12/14, JJ Hoover is also the losing pitcher for a tied game in extras...

dougdirt
07-12-2014, 11:51 PM
OK, you're right about that Mets game being in the ninth. I guess it's not just extras, its any tied game...

but then again tonight, 7/12/14, JJ Hoover is also the losing pitcher for a tied game in extras...

So what you are saying is that Bryan Price avoided using JJ Hoover until he absolutely had to, again? Seems like you are on the same page as Price.

Kc61
07-13-2014, 12:10 AM
So what you are saying is that Bryan Price avoided using JJ Hoover until he absolutely had to, again? Seems like you are on the same page as Price.

Many short relievers have problems in their second inning of work. Hoover has been effective for one inning of late. He has good stuff.

But he is a fly ball pitcher in a home run stadium and the pitch to McCutchen was a big mistake.

NC-Red
07-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Hoover is our last line of defense, didnt have anybody else

Jim
07-13-2014, 02:46 AM
I'm sure a batboy could server up a home run just as well as JJ, and for less pay.

Redeyecat
07-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Hoover been quite good for several years and actually has been pretty good lately after a couple of awful outings. I'm not completely confident he's 100% back to previous standards, but I'm far from ready to give up on him (not that a stint in AAA is out of the question if he has options).

The Mechanic#10
07-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Hoover does seem like he is always in the middle of a loss, but you cant let McCutchen beats you there should have pitched around him and if he got himself out then great!

tnarg515
07-28-2014, 11:53 PM

Another one again tonight....
I honestly stop watching the game when he comes to the mound....I already know the outcome.

Redsfansince72
07-29-2014, 12:00 AM
yep let him pitch 2 innings he always seems to give up a run.. now 1-8 and still on the club.."Rolling my eyes"

Big Red Smokey
08-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Frustrating. His first inning is always good. Second inning is where the trouble lies.

Really thought he would kinda get into a groove in the 2nd half of the year like he did last year but it just hasn't happened for him.

Jim
08-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Frustrating. His first inning is always good. Second inning is where the trouble lies.

Well, he only went 1 inning today... 2 K's, 0 Hits... Granted, the Reds were losing, so Hoover didn't have a lead to blow.

CoachBombay
08-13-2014, 05:17 PM

Really thought he would kinda get into a groove in the 2nd half of the year like he did last year but it just hasn't happened for him.

I was coming to comment the same thing. He does well that first inning. Then he comes our for the 2nd and gets in all sorts of trouble

Big Red Smokey
08-13-2014, 07:31 PM
He's been money lately

tnarg515
08-17-2014, 08:37 PM
He's been money lately

Make that 1-9 W/L

This wasn't a close game like the others I've been pointing out....this was just a catastrophe.

Please designate Hoover for assignment.

Jim
08-17-2014, 08:38 PM
He's been money lately

Giving up a game losing 3 run homer to Stubbs isn't money. Can't count on him.

Banshee
08-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Very Coffee-esque w/ Hoover's ability to give up HR's. 10 taters now in 53 innings, ugly.

dfs
08-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Please designate Hoover for assignment.

Boy, I hate to have to agree, but....Can you imagine how his teammates feel around him? Could you sit next to him on the bus? Could you laugh at his jokes? Could you look him in the eye? Maybe he'll get it back someplace, somewhere, but clearly not with this organization. After years of things like a phone call to fire Tony Perez, it's neat to see the organization treat players like people and give them every chance to succeed, but....sooner or later you have to cut bait.

Let him go and give the innings to somebody else. ANYBODY else. They simply could not be worse. J.J. needs a change of scenery. Let him be somebody else's Alfredo Simon.

CoachBombay
08-18-2014, 08:39 AM
While I will agree, hoover has been awful this year, and He made my last statement a false statement....You cant seriously be putting ALL the blame for that game on Hoover can you? Everyone seems to skip passed Chapman walking 4 straight batters and blaming it ALL on Hoover who was left with bases loaded an no outs

RedlegJake
08-18-2014, 08:52 AM
I blame Hoover, Chapman and Price. Chappy loaded em up and walked in 1, Price brought in a flyball guy having a poor season in a home run park, and Hoover dished up a meatball hanger.

Jim
08-19-2014, 11:49 PM
8/19 vs Cards: Another complete meltdown by Hoover... loads up the bases without getting a single out, and hits Jon Jay to walk in the winning run. Hoover is COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE. If Price has anything positive to say about Hoover, he should be tested for mental illness.

Big Red Smokey
08-19-2014, 11:53 PM
Uncanny

Fargo Red
08-20-2014, 12:02 AM
I find it hard to believe they don't have another arm at AA or AAA who is worthy of a look. The cupboard must be pretty bare.

Redsfansince72
08-20-2014, 12:05 AM
i would bring back Partch.. he cant be worse than Hoover and he has a .000 ERA.. so far for the Reds!!

Larry Schuler
08-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Classic JJ Hoover blunder!

Poor dude is the sacrificial 'off year 2011 Massett' of this year's bullpen.

Banshee
08-20-2014, 01:00 AM
The other options weren't great, but letting Hoover stay in that situation I put on Price. Chances of getting his confidence back at this point are close to nil at this point. He was so scared in the 9th against the heart of that order his knees were shaking. Big O', Contreras or Broxton have to have a better chance of extending that game. A message to WJ maybe?

RedlegJake
08-20-2014, 08:22 AM
I really hope they trade Hoover for the proverbial bucket of balls. I feel for the guy - just a disappointing season all round and JJ is the poster boy. I think he has the stuff to be a decent reliever again (they almost all have ups and down seasons) but at this point, he might be better off with a different team. In particular, being a fly ball pitcher he isn't ideally suited for a place like GABP anyway. Price seems determined to run him out there in leveraged situations until he succeeds - a pitching coach trait, not a managerial one.

RedFanT
08-20-2014, 02:14 PM
My God, I'm so thankful I fell asleep before the 9th inning of last night's game. Unfortunately, I think JJ Hoover is going to be haunting me in my dreams.

DaytonRed
09-03-2014, 01:32 PM
My God, I'm so thankful I fell asleep before the 9th inning of last night's game. Unfortunately, I think JJ Hoover is going to be haunting me in my dreams.

I second that. I hope something happens in the off season.

Jim
09-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Not happy to see Hoover back in the majors. He's back to running counts full and struggling to get outs.

Banshee
09-11-2014, 05:20 AM
If the reds had someone lose just 1/2 as many games as Hoover has this season, well, the entire conversation of the '14 reds, even now w/ them tanking lately, would be totally different. A lot of that imho goes on Price for putting him in such high lev. situations, again and again...trying to reclaim the '13 version of him and showing "faith" in him. Todd Coffee Jr. this season.