View Full Version : Ray Searage?

Herzeleid
09-23-2014, 12:43 AM
*ERA*
Vance Worley: 2.93
Edinson Volquez: 3.15
Franciso Liriano: 3.32
Jeff Locke: 3.60

I understand the Pirates get creative with defensive shifts and benefit from them. But what is the real secret of their success?

Tom Servo
09-23-2014, 02:26 AM
Throw strikes and hit your spots, I imagine.

Herzeleid
09-23-2014, 04:21 AM
Throw strikes and hit your spots, I imagine.
That is a very good answer.

Herzeleid
09-23-2014, 04:45 AM
Stanton and McCutchen. Who do you guys think it should be?

I think McCutchen should win the NL MVP again. It's astounding that his name is hardly mentioned at all in the MVP debate.

McCutchen: 165 wRC+, 6.4 WAR
Stanton: 158 wRC+, 6.0 WAR

Herzeleid
09-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Is Andrew McCutchen's contract the most team-friendly in baseball?

Herzeleid
09-23-2014, 11:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/51670/vance-worley-member-of-all-surprise-team

"In 10 starts with Minnesota, Worley got pounded like few pitchers in recent history, going 1-5 with a 7.21 ERA and .381 batting average allowed -- the highest average allowed by a pitcher with at least 40 innings since Mike Torrez in 1984.

With numbers like those, it's no surprise the Pirates were able to purchase Worley from the Minnesota Twins late in spring training. There was no downside for the Pirates, and he started the year in Triple-A before joining the Pirates' rotation in mid-June when Francisco Liriano went on the disabled list. He tossed seven scoreless innings against the Miami Marlins in that game and has been solid ever since.

Worley is one member of what we'll call the All-Surprise Team. Or maybe we can call it the lucky pickup team. Should the Pirates receive credit for Worley turning into gold? Hard to say. The Twins had actually put Worley on waivers and nobody claimed him until the Pirates made the cash deal. In the end, it's still a lot of luck. I'm pretty sure the Pirates didn't envision Worley making 16 starts with a sub-3.00 ERA."

Luck? Burnett, Liriano, Worley, Volquez...

Herzeleid
09-24-2014, 04:35 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/pittsburgh-pirates-mike-fitzgerald-mit-sabermetric-road-show/

"If there was any doubt that Huntington would do things differently from his predecessors in Pittsburgh, he dispelled it in an Internet Q&A shortly after he took over, when he responded to a question about whether his regime would pay more attention to on-base percentage by calling OPS and Runs Created “the more traditional objective evaluations” and then reeling off a list of virtually every advanced stat used to evaluate position players."

Does Walt have any idea what wOBA is?

RedFanT
09-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Does Walt have any idea what wOBA is?

What about BABIP and VORP? I like those almost as much as dWAR. Then again, I'm not sure how open Walt is to any of this. If I recall, he was fired from the Cards for being an old school GM.

RedlegJake
09-25-2014, 07:11 PM
I have no doubt Walt knows quite well all those advanced stats. How much weight he gives and to which ones, that is an open question.

RedFanT
09-25-2014, 09:35 PM
From what I've read, Walt's lack of trust in sabermetrics was one of the reasons he was run out of St. Louis.

Tom Servo
09-25-2014, 09:46 PM
From what I've read, Walt's lack of trust in sabermetrics was one of the reasons he was run out of St. Louis.
I don't know that it was as much a lack of trust in sabermetrics as it was a lack of trust in Jeff Luhnow.

Banshee
09-30-2014, 01:43 AM
Most of what I've read about WJ's demise in STL comes down to butting heads w/ TLaGenius, and leaving their minors barren of talent. Mostly the power-play w/ TLR.

CaptainRon
09-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Andrew McCuthen is 3.5 years younger than votto, and the pirates signed him to a 7 year 65 million dollar deal in 2012.

We signed a much older 1b who can't play to a 10 year 225 million extension

The pirates are in a position to succeed. The reds are handicapped by one player for another 9 years

PadsFS
09-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Most of what I've read about WJ's demise in STL comes down to butting heads w/ TLaGenius, and leaving their minors barren of talent. Mostly the power-play w/ TLR.

It had more to do with butting heads with Mozeliak and Luhnow, not LaRussa, who also was pushing against the new wave of SABR science guys.