PDA

View Full Version : Should the Reds offer Votto a buyout?

CaptainRon
09-27-2014, 09:02 AM
I'd be all for it.

Basically, surrender and admit defeat with the guy.
Tell him they'll fork over 110 million today, he leaves the team and his remaining contract is voided.

I think he'd take it. The guy is a quitter. He quit on his team in 2009. Quit on his team in 2014, and also recently quit on his charity.

It's sad. Cause if Votto were a FA right now...he'd be getting a 3 year 40 million dollar deal, tops.

The poor reds overpaid 6:1 for him. A franchise crippling contract.

BernieCarbo
09-27-2014, 09:21 AM
If he's a quitter, why would he take a buyout? Couldn't he just keep saying his leg hurts and collect the rest of the money for the next ten years? Jeez....

CaptainRon
09-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Votto is miserable. He would take the $ and run.

BernieCarbo
09-27-2014, 09:38 AM
A compelling argument.

Nevertheless, the union doesn't allow contract changes that lower the value of the contract. For instance, let's say that Player A hated playing in City A, and said he would take 5 million less if they traded him to City B. The union wouldn't allow it.

reds1869
09-27-2014, 10:17 AM
This may be the most absurd Votto thread in a long time. The idea that Votto "quit on the team" is absurd local media driven drivel. If you think he "quit on his charity" you either didn't read what Joey said or didn't comprehend what he said. But to answer your question, no. Not a chance. A healthy Votto will still be a valuable Votto. I think the contract is a terrible one but I think pretty much every big money deal for a veteran is a risky decision. But by all means continue the fine Cincinnati tradition of hating the team's best players because they make more money than you do.

Not only that, forking over $110M right now cripples the team for the near future and pays a superb hitter to go away and play for someone else.

klw
09-27-2014, 11:00 AM
See A Rod's trade to Boston as an example of this.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/34201/30-for-30-shorts-how-sox-lost-a-rod

The hangup, however, was the seven years and $179 million left on A-Rod’s contract.

Theo Epstein called that money a “non-starter,” so the Red Sox explored whether A-Rod would be willing to rework the deal. Rodriguez was amenable, but was told by the MLBPA that he could only rework it within the parameters of the CBA. What that meant was if he agreed to take less money, he would need to get something of equal value in return.

“When we brought up dollars and we said, ‘Alex, we need you to walk away from X, he said ‘Yeah, I can do this. We can make this happen,’” Epstein said.

Soon after, the sides had a deal. Alex was reducing his salary and the Red Sox would give him the benefit of the rights to his likeness. They also built in more flexibility into an out that was already in his deal.

A-Rod even signed on the dotted line.

“Somewhere in my files is a signed Red Sox contract by A-Rod,” said Jed Hoyer, who was Epstein’s assistant at the time.

On Dec. 17, the union announced the restructured deal would not be approved.

“A-Rod doesn’t operate in a vacuum,” explains ESPNBoston.com’s Gordon Edes in the documentary. “If he takes less money, it’s going to impact the financial futures of so many players coming after him.”

The deal was officially dead.

Buyout would never happen nor is it an idea I support.

dubc47834
09-27-2014, 11:09 AM
:angry:....this is in the Hall of Fame of dumb ideas!!!

Raisor
09-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Alright then.

CaptainRon
09-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Best part of vottos phantom injury was after he was about to go on the DL #2 for the last 80 games of the season..

He waited 5 days and made the Reds play shorthanded all week. It is like he tries to do everything wrong intentionally. And it is hilarious. He was testing his knee....then woke up and immediately knew he'd be done for the year...in May. What a man

Guy can't even go on the DL without being a loser weirdo

RedlegJake
09-27-2014, 03:34 PM
This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff we don't want on Redszone. Thread closed. Hopefully, you are just having a bad day because if this is your posting style, move along.