PDA

View Full Version : Signs you're a poor GM and an even worse player

CaptainRon
09-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Reds 2015

They have to spend 6.5 million just to not have Ludwick and Hannahan show up and fail even more.

And you also have to give a broken Relief pitcher who is done pitching in th3 majors another 6.5 million.

13,000,000 sunk. Before the season starts.

RedFanT
09-28-2014, 05:56 PM
That sounds bad, but look at it this way: there are many teams who've made way worse financial decisions than that. The Dodgers money dump from the Red Sox in 2012, for example, and even this season the Braves (who owe more than $13 million more to Dan Uggla not to play baseball and $46 million more to BJ Upton to play baseball). That is the downside of the past performance-based contracts system in MLB. I don't hold that against the GM. Not having a good minor league system (esp. in AAA) or a good bench to replace injured players, on the other hand, is a big problem.

cinredsfan2000
09-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Things could be worse we could be the Mets still paying for Bobby Bonilla who's been retired for what now 13 years or so and will still be getting a check for $1,193,248.20 just as he will every July 1 through 2035.

CaptainRon
09-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Reds are paying Griffey 3.5 million a year until 2025

Banshee
09-30-2014, 01:38 AM
LT deals are more about winning now, and not giving a darn about the future imho. Votto/BP/Homer all have these that they'll probably not be able to live up to, as did Pujols/Arod. It's just the nature of the beast and what has to be done in this moment in time to ensure a few yrs.(read: this GM's deal) of relative winning. They're absurd, but the genie's out of the bottle, and every team has to swallow hard and cross their fingers/pray to their deities that the player given such a deal doesn't go in the tank for whatever reason. Or, you're the Marlins..

Larry Schuler
09-30-2014, 01:42 AM
It's EMBARASSING to be a reds fan these last few years.

CaptainRon
11-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Options thankfully declined on both these clowns

westofyou
11-03-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged

Yawn

RedlegJake
11-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Wish we were neighbors Captain Ron (or maybe not) but I'd bet you Marshall is NOT done.

PadsFS
11-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Reds 2015

They have to spend 6.5 million just to not have Ludwick and Hannahan show up and fail even more.

And you also have to give a broken Relief pitcher who is done pitching in th3 majors another 6.5 million.

13,000,000 sunk. Before the season starts.

I consider those salaries to be deferred payments for previous years' performance.

REDREAD
11-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Ludwick and Hannahan's buyouts were basically deferred salary.
Especially Ludwick. He made only about 3 million (?) or so in 2013. Ludwick did that so they could fit him in the budget. Now it's time to pay the piper.

OP, Where were you when the Marshal contract was signed? I don't remember any objections at the time. Pitchers get hurt, things happen.

Protoss
11-05-2014, 06:29 AM
I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged I'm outraged

Yawn
What a stupid post.

westofyou
11-05-2014, 09:22 AM
What a stupid post.

Thanks

I was inspired by the quality of the OPs post and the style in which it was delivered

RedlegJake
11-05-2014, 10:34 AM
WoY's comment is directly related to the content and tenor of Captain Ron's posts:

"show up and fail even more", "broken Relief pitcher", "both these clowns", "Reds Fans who prefer to feel insulated, ignorant and blind homers", "We signed a much older 1b who can't play", "vottos phantom injury", "Votto is miserable." "He would take the $ and run", "surrender and admit defeat with the guy"

12 posts and 10 of them are negative beyond belief using insulting, hyper negative, snarky remarks. If I ever find myself this negative I'll just find another team that doesn't make me so miserable. But then maybe I'm just an insulated, blind, ignorant homer.