PDA

View Full Version : Angels Potentially Interested in Brandon Phillips

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 11:13 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/west-notes-trumbo-chacin-angels-ethier-quentin.html#disqus_thread

All I can say is Get it done Walt!

ac084c
03-23-2015, 11:19 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/west-notes-trumbo-chacin-angels-ethier-quentin.html#disqus_thread

All I can say is Get it done Walt!

Maybe this is a silly question. If you trade Phillips, who is going to play 2B?

marcshoe
03-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Suarez

ac084c
03-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Suarez

Do you think he's an upgrade over Phillips?

Larkin88
03-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Just my two cents obviously, but I don't think there's any value in holding out hope for a BP trade at this point. This is a lazy journalist who has identified that the Angels could use a veteran stop-gap at second, and picking a few random 2B vets from perceived non-contenders. Even the writer admits that Utley is available for "whoever is willing to take the contract", but that might present an issue for the Angels after their Pujols and Hamilton deals.

Regardless, as has been discussed a bunch on the board... these days it isn't about what Walt wants or what a potential receiving team wants or can afford. It's as much about what BP wants with his 10-5 rights now.

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Do you think he's an upgrade over Phillips?

For what it's worth, he projects better.

But this is about money mostly.

- - - Updated - - -

Just my two cents obviously, but I don't think there's any value in holding out hope for a BP trade at this point. This is a lazy journalist who has identified that the Angels could use a veteran stop-gap at second, and picking a few random 2B vets from perceived non-contenders. Even the writer admits that Utley is available for "whoever is willing to take the contract", but that might present an issue for the Angels after their Pujols and Hamilton deals.

Regardless, as has been discussed a bunch on the board... these days it isn't about what Walt wants or what a potential receiving team wants or can afford. It's as much about what BP wants with his 10-5 rights now.

Yeah, just being hopeful I guess.

I do think, if Walt were to approach him, Phillips wouldn't mind playing for LA given his attitude. He'd probably love it in LA.

ac084c
03-23-2015, 12:03 PM
For what it's worth, he projects better.

But this is about money mostly.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, just being hopeful I guess.

I do think, if Walt were to approach him, Phillips wouldn't mind playing for LA given his attitude. He'd probably love it in LA.

Fair enough, ZiPS projects him better by a tiny amount.

Steamer isn't all that close though.

marcshoe
03-23-2015, 12:04 PM
The writer also talks about mid-season. It's pretty difficult to say what will and won't be true by then. I'm afraid that Phillips is close to being done, but I hope I'm wrong.

As for projections, taking age into account, Suarez is a much better bet beyond 2015.

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Fair enough, ZiPS projects him better by a tiny amount.

Steamer isn't all that close though.

I tend to trust ZiPS over Steamer. I think it's fared better for all players, but check out Steamer's projections for Cueto, Byrd, etc. compared to ZiPS.

ZiPS incorporates "model busters" into its formula, I think. Whereas Steamer doesn't. So, while Steamer projects Cueto at his FIP last year, ZiPS "realizes" that he's usually significantly better than his FIP.

Not sure what's up with Steamer's Byrd projection...

CySeymour
03-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Plus Phillips has 5/10 rights, so you can't trade him without his approval.

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Plus Phillips has 5/10 rights, so you can't trade him without his approval.

True. This is just wishful thinking I guess.

But, if he was going to accept a trade to anywhere, it'd probably be LA, you know?

RedlegJake
03-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Guys usually nix deals to keep from going to a basement dweller or a city they just hate. 5/10 deals get done all the time but this is a real longshot. I agree with Larkin88 - just lazy writer.

NeilHamburger
03-23-2015, 03:05 PM
If the Reds trade Phillips who would Price hit third? Suarez? I think not!

Gandalf the Red
03-23-2015, 03:08 PM
If the Reds trade Phillips who would Price hit third? Suarez? I think not!

Brandon will probably leave instructions.

CarolinaRedsfan
03-24-2015, 01:10 AM
Suarez

Hard to do when he is playing in Louisville.

swaisuc
03-24-2015, 08:23 AM
If they could do it, I wouldn't mind Negron as a stopgap if the question is Suarez readiness.

HUHUH
03-25-2015, 03:11 PM
I believe Phillips has 5/10 rights so you couldn't trade him without his approval. Doesn't he have 5/10 rights?

JoshBresser
03-25-2015, 03:33 PM
I believe Phillips has 5/10 rights so you couldn't trade him without his approval. Doesn't he have 5/10 rights?

He does.

toledodan
03-25-2015, 05:20 PM
trade phillips and use money to sign cueto

SuperFan17
03-25-2015, 05:26 PM

So... You would be good with Cueto getting 25-30 million a year for 6-7 years (MINIMUM) [Like Max Scherzer]

No.... FREAKING... thank you. I just say thanks Johnny and good luck in LA.

toledodan
03-25-2015, 05:51 PM
So... You would be good with Cueto getting 25-30 million a year for 6-7 years (MINIMUM) [Like Max Scherzer]

No.... FREAKING... thank you. I just say thanks Johnny and good luck in LA.

not if that's what he's wanting but you have to make an effort to bring him back. if there isn't any chance you move him.

Touchdown Jesus
03-26-2015, 12:02 AM

Absolutely not.

scotly50
03-26-2015, 10:23 PM
We could only dream.

UCBrownsfan
03-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Guys usually nix deals to keep from going to a basement dweller or a city they just hate. 5/10 deals get done all the time but this is a real longshot. I agree with Larkin88 - just lazy writer.

Not really lazy writing more like a bad game of "telephone"

Original article - Angels will wait for possible roster upgrades, Move for second baseman unlikely unless in-house options don't work out (http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/113931920/los-angeles-angels-will-wait-until-midseason-for-possible-roster-upgrades) Basically he just guys that other teams may let go on the cheap to a team willing to eat payroll.

MLB Trade Rumors - The Angels enter 2015 with the most financial flexibility they have had in four years, but will wait until mid-season to decide if or how to spend that payroll, according to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez. The Angels’ most likely area of need is second base with Gonzalez naming the Phillies‘ Chase Utley, the Reds‘ Brandon Phillips, the Diamondbacks‘ Aaron Hill, and the Mets‘ Daniel Murphy as possible targets.

Redszone - Angels Potentially Interested in Brandon Phillips