PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips- "I don't care about OBP."

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 05:39 PM
"I don't do that MLB Network on-base percentage (stuff),'' Phillips told USA TODAY Sports. "I think that's messing up baseball. I think people now are just worried about getting paid, and worrying about on-base percentage, instead of just winning the game.

"That's the new thing now. I feel like all of these stats and all of these geeks upstairs, they're messing up baseball, they're just changing the game. It's all about on-base percentage. If you don't get on base, then you suck. That's basically what they're saying. People don't care about RBI or scoring runs, it's all about getting on base.

"Why we changing the game after all of this time? If we all just took our walks, nobody would be scoring runs. Nobody would be driving anybody in or getting anybody over. How you doing to play the game like that. People don't look at doing the things the right way, and doing things to help your team win.

"I remember back in the day you hit .230, you suck. Nowadays, you hit .230, with a .400 on-base percentage, you're one of the best players in the game. That's amazing. I've never seen (stuff) like that. Times have changed. It's totally different now.

"But that's just me.

"And I don't give a damn what people think about me.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/03/23/cincinnati-reds-joey-votto-brandon-phillips-on-base-percentage-rbi/70337854/

Yikes. Criticizing OBP and claiming to just care about runs when OBP and runs are highly correlated.

SuperFan17
03-23-2015, 05:49 PM
"I don't do that MLB Network on-base percentage (stuff),'' Phillips told USA TODAY Sports. "I think that's messing up baseball. I think people now are just worried about getting paid, and worrying about on-base percentage, instead of just winning the game.

"That's the new thing now. I feel like all of these stats and all of these geeks upstairs, they're messing up baseball, they're just changing the game. It's all about on-base percentage. If you don't get on base, then you suck. That's basically what they're saying. People don't care about RBI or scoring runs, it's all about getting on base.

"Why we changing the game after all of this time? If we all just took our walks, nobody would be scoring runs. Nobody would be driving anybody in or getting anybody over. How you doing to play the game like that. People don't look at doing the things the right way, and doing things to help your team win.

"I remember back in the day you hit .230, you suck. Nowadays, you hit .230, with a .400 on-base percentage, you're one of the best players in the game. That's amazing. I've never seen (stuff) like that. Times have changed. It's totally different now.

"But that's just me.

"And I don't give a damn what people think about me.''

Brandon Phillips just now became my favorite player in Reds history.

SlimJim11
03-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Brandon Phillips just now became my favorite player in Reds history.

Because he refuses to understand why the game has changed.

I wanna know who he thinks people are driving in and getting over if nobody is ever on base?

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Brandon Phillips drives in 100 runs *once* (because of Votto and Choo solely) and he's the king of the RBI. Hilarious.

dubc47834
03-23-2015, 06:34 PM
:bang:

Raisor
03-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Brandon Phillips drives in 100 runs *once* (because of Votto and Choo solely) and he's the king of the RBI. Hilarious.

The impressive thing wasn't that he drove in 100. It was that he didn't drive in way more.

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Exactly. Choo and Votto got on so much that, even with batting after Phillips and his 100 RBIs/terrible OBP, Bruce still managed to lead the team in the category.

Actually, if RBIs or hitting with RISP have been Phillips' career goals, then he's been a pretty massive failure.

SweetLou1990
03-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Maybe an attitude like that will be good for the 7 hole. Drive em in, cuz the guy behind you won't, just trying to be optimistic here. In reality, I hope there won't be any clubhouse issues when BP is asked to hit 7.

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Maybe an attitude like that will be good for the 7 hole. Drive em in, cuz the guy behind you won't, just trying to be optimistic here. In reality, I hope there won't be any clubhouse issues when BP is asked to hit 7.

I really do think Price is going to hit him third.

SlimJim11
03-23-2015, 07:13 PM
In reality, I hope there won't be any clubhouse issues when BP is asked to hit 7.

I think this is the reason he won't be asked to hit 7th. He's gonna hit 3rd because Price doesn't want to have to deal with it. That is the only logical reason for him hitting 3rd and not 7th.

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Then Price should be fired. Isn't that half of the job of a manager? Dealing with this crap?

And if he's hitting Phillips third because he truly thinks Phillips is the best option for the 3 hole? Then he's an idiot.

He's either stupid or a pushover. What a manager.

SweetLou1990
03-23-2015, 07:39 PM
I think BP will be hitting 3rd, until the line up needs a shake-up, then asked/told to hit 7. Let's see how Price and BP handle it.

dubc47834
03-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Can't wait for BP to prove people wrong!

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 07:45 PM

Yeah, he's gonna prove that average and RBIs are what matter and OBP is just stupid!

RedlegJake
03-23-2015, 07:54 PM
BP is crying again. BWaaaa....no one thinks I'm a great player like I know I am.....the guy is an egomaniac without much ammunition for all the shots he takes.

Raisor
03-23-2015, 07:58 PM

What will he be proving wrong about?

JoshBresser
03-23-2015, 08:00 PM
BP is crying again. BWaaaa....no one thinks I'm a great player like I know I am.....the guy is an egomaniac without much ammunition for all the shots he takes.

Yeah. His act got tired when he stopped being good.

RedlegJake
03-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Joe Morgan is another guy who doesn't get sabremetrics but his playing career was about as sabre friendly as it gets. At least Joe walked the walk even if he didn't know he was doing it....

Raisor
03-23-2015, 09:14 PM
I've said it before but Morgan the broadcaster wouldn't like some really great things about Morgan the player

SlimJim11
03-23-2015, 11:24 PM
Then Price should be fired. Isn't that half of the job of a manager? Dealing with this crap?

Maybe he thinks batting him 3rd is the lesser of 2 evils. What if he thinks moving BP to 7th will cause BP to completely destroy the team from the inside. He can't bench BP with that contract.

BP doesn't seem like the type to take getting moved down in the lineup with ease. He still won't talk to the local media because what, Trent said he can't get on base? But getting on base isn't important to him right? Dealing with egomaniacs is hard.

dubc47834
03-24-2015, 09:47 AM
What will he be proving wrong about?

I just think BP will have a really solid season this year. I believe he is healthy, so that shouldn't be an issue. I like BP, but if he does come out and lay an egg this season I will understand some of the things being said about him. Until then, I am still a BP fan. I think he get's a bad rap because of where the manager's have placed him in the line up and his production is said place in the line up. Also, I know people aren't a fan of the contract, but to me the contract isn't bad at all. Oh well, I guess come the All Star game we will see how this is going to play out!

Raisor
03-24-2015, 09:50 AM
I think BP will have a good season, but that has nothing to do with his idiotic statements in this article. He absolutely threw a teammate under the bus.

JoshBresser
03-24-2015, 10:20 AM
I think BP will have a good season, but that has nothing to do with his idiotic statements in this article. He absolutely threw a teammate under the bus.

"I don't want people to think I'm hating on Joey, because I'm not,'' Phillips says. "There's nothing wrong with how he plays the game. He does what's best for him. He's going to do what makes him successful. So you can't get mad at somebody's approach.

"They have to eat, too. And he's eating real good.''

"I play the game the best way I know how,'' Phillips says. "If I need to adapt to a situation, I'll adapt. If you need me to get on base and I'm leading off an inning, I'll do that. If you need me to swing the bat, I'm swinging the damn bat. I'm a guy that drives in runs. If you give me an RBI opportunity, a guy on third base and less than two outs, I'm getting that guy in. I'm not walking. I'm getting that guy in.

"That's just how I am. I play the game to win. I don't play the game for stats."

Pretty directly saying that Votto doesn't play to win or do what's best for the team, but himself.

Yeah, Brandon, the whole team should hit like you!

dubc47834
03-24-2015, 10:52 AM

I agree, this wasn't the wisest of wording choices while trying to defend his style of play!!!

Wonderful Monds
03-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Brandon Phillips is an idiot. I've alluded to knowing a lot first hand about his personal life, and the dude is just not an intelligent human being.

One of my least favorite Reds, as a person, ever.

dubc47834
03-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Brandon Phillips is an idiot. I've alluded to knowing a lot first hand about his personal life, and the dude is just not an intelligent human being.

One of my least favorite Reds, as a person, ever.

What makes him an idiot...please...details!!!!

Raisor
03-24-2015, 11:30 AM

His comments the last couple of years about Joey's contract for one.

JoshBresser
03-24-2015, 11:42 AM

Did you read the OP?

dubc47834
03-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Did you read the OP?

Yes, read the OP. WM is alluding to some personal life issues. Other than the baby momma stuff, I haven't heard of or can't rememeber at least, any other issues with him. If his baby momma stuff makes WM think Phillips is an idiot, then that's fine, it's his opinion. But I believe he is also forgeting all the good that BP does in the Cincy community.

Raisor,
I have admitted that BP's comments in past seasons and this haven't been the brightest of things to say. I don't know if that makes him an idiot tho. Don't we all say stuff that others don't agree with...are we all idiots...:beerme:

SuperFan17
03-25-2015, 05:20 PM
I am sure Votto will get over any hurt feelings that could have come from BP's statement. Votto just needs to worry about letting Hamilton run when he gets on base, and then go ahead with his walking game.

Speaking of walks, when is the walking competition during the All-Star break?

Raisor
03-25-2015, 05:21 PM
I am sure Votto will get over any hurt feelings that could have come from BP's statement. Votto just needs to worry about letting Hamilton run when he gets on base, and then go ahead with his walking game.

We'll played sir.

cobike
03-26-2015, 10:47 AM

A lesson in history would be good for BP. It would be pretty obvious that Babe Ruth had a great OBP, no? Yes, he had the 2nd best all time. Second only to another all-time great. I thought Barry Bonds might have the best; he comes in at 6th. And check out #4 on the link below: Billy Hamilton!! Amazing. Except, this BH played from 1888 to 1901. 14 of the top 20 are hall-of-famers, and two more would be but for various violations (Bonds, Shoeless Joe).

Top OBPs in History per Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_players_with_a_caree r_.400_on-base_percentage)

Also, who is the top active player in career OBP? Hint: he's a Red. Hey, Brandon, know what they say about those who forget history?

JoshBresser
03-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Superfan17 sounds like another CaptainRon alt.

REDREAD
03-26-2015, 03:29 PM

lol, that would be a funny competition at the ASB.. "See who will be crowned the king of walks.. The batter will stand in the box and watch 200 pitches go by. He will then tell the umpire how many were balls. Be sure to tune in for all the excitement of seeing your favorite player watch pitches go by" :lol:

scotly50
03-26-2015, 10:23 PM
I actually agree with Phillips, and I feel bad about it.