PDA

View Full Version : Trade offered (help woy,sabo,sava, others)

Red Leader
04-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Here's my team:

C- Posada
1B - Helton
2B- Spivey
3B - Blalock
SS - Jeter
MI - Cintron (soon to be Berroa after waiver claim tonight)
CI- M. Cabrera
OF- Sheffield
OF- B. Giles
OF- L. Gonzalez
OF- M. Bradley
UTIL - Hafner
UTIL - G. Jenkins

Another owner sent me a trade offer of: 2B Junior Spivey and OF L. Gonzalez for 2B Marcus Giles and OF Steve Finley. I asked for Reggie Sanders or Raul Mondesi instead of Finley, but no dice, he won't budge, so this is the only way I can get Marcus Giles and upgrade at 2B. Would you do it? I can always turn around and drop Finley and pick up: R. Baldelli, J. Burnitz, Grissom, M. Alou, Cruz Jr, Mora....but as far as power goes there's not a whole lot of players to choose from other than the above. What do you think? Is it worth it to give up a player like Luis Gonzalez in the OF to upgrade from Spivey to Marcus Giles?

westofyou
04-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Luis has a bum wing, he's throwing the ball sidearm from the OF, I like Giles.

My take is always upgrade at skill positions if you can, fill in the corner positions with guys like Craig Wilson or others like him if you must. Giles projects great for OB and MI pop, that's good IMO.

Red Leader
04-13-2004, 04:32 PM
A second twist to this offer has been brought up that would make the deal:

L. Gonzalez, J. Spivey, J. Pineiro, and A. Rhodes
for
M. Giles, S. Finley, J. Schmidt

Difference being the pitchers.

My current starters are:
M. Mussina, J. Moyer, J. Pineiro, F. Garcia, B. Myers, and A. Eaton
relievers are Dotel, Benitez, and Rhodes

Would I be better off doing the deal with the pitchers, or leaving them out? I could really use a high K guy like Schmidt since my top strikout guy is Mussina at the moment and he's struggled. Giving up Pineiro doens't hurt at all and its actually preferred since I have two other SEA starters that I can't move. Losing Rhodes is the biggest part of it, but even he is replaceable, especially to get a pitcher like Schmidt. I could pick up Koch, Ligtenberg, Baez, or Riske as a 3rd closer with the extra spot, or pick up Tim Wakefield and stay with 2 closers in Benitez and Dotel. Thoughts?

Sabo Fan
04-13-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm not terribly high on Spivey, no matter what Harold Reynolds says about him (30-30? What was he smoking?). I think I'd do that deal. Like WOY said, Gonzalez has that bum arm that could literally go at any time. Red Leader, I'm wondering if there are any other players on the waiver wire that would help you out more than the ones you mentioned. You could always move Jenkins to an OF spot and bring in the best player available.

Red Leader
04-13-2004, 04:59 PM
If I trade Gonzalez and Spivey for Giles and Finley my lineup would look like this:

C - Posada
1B - Helton
2B - M. Giles
3B - H. Blalock
SS - D. Jeter
MI - A. Berroa (dropping Cintron)
CI - T. Hafner
OF - G. Sheffield
OF - B. Giles
OF - M. Cabrera
OF - G. Jenkins
UTIL - M. Bradley
UTIL - S. Finley

Compare to above and tell me which one is better.

Best available players on the wire:
Rocco Baldelli, Edgar Martinez, M.Alou, A.Cintron, J.Cruz, J Burnitz, M.Mora, J.Gerut, M.Byrd, B.Fullmer, A.Guiel, E.Munson, L.Bigbie, and C.Koskie.

Sabo Fan
04-13-2004, 05:06 PM
I'd add Cruz and play him over Finley until he cools off. That or Bigbie. I think he'll have a solid year.

Red Leader
04-13-2004, 05:19 PM
O.K scratch all that above (well, part of it). He isn't willing to deal Schmidt. But, he would include: Loaiza, L.Hernadez, K.Wells, K.Escobar, or C.Sabathia if I include Rhodes. Who do you think the best pitcher is out of that group? Loaiza had 200+ K's last year, will that happen again?

So from the first post: I'd be adding Marcus Giles, Steve Finley and 1 of the pitchers above and trading OF Luis Gonzalez, 2B Junior Spivey and RP Arthur Rhodes, or I can just keep the pitchers out of it and deal the hitters....

savafan
04-13-2004, 05:50 PM
I'd do that deal in a heartbeat and never look back. Of the pitchers, I like Kip Wells and C.C. Sabathia. Both will put up good numbers, but I don't know if they'll get enough wins because of the teams they play for. A lot of people think Loaiza was a fluke last year. I'm not one of them. He learned his new fastball before last season and it worked wonders for him. I'd take any of those three pitchers.

As for the waiver wire, Edgar Martinez is healthy and should have a consistent season, but the only position he's good for is utility. Burnitz is playing half his games in Coors, and could put up monster numbers. I'd take one of those two.

Ender
04-13-2004, 08:03 PM
I'd be adding Marcus Giles, Steve Finley and 1 of the pitchers above and trading OF Luis Gonzalez, 2B Junior Spivey and RP Arthur Rhodes, or I can just keep the pitchers out of it and deal the hitters....

Keep the pitchers. Take Loaiza or Sabathia, Giles, and Findley and run! :thumbup:

Red Leader
04-14-2004, 11:23 AM
The trade was accepted this morning. L.Gonzalez, Spivey for M. Giles and S. Finley.

My "new" lineup:

C- Posada
1B- Helton
2B- M. Giles
3B- Blalock
SS- Jeter
MI- A. Berroa
CI- T. Hafner
OF- Sheffield
OF- B. Giles
OF- M. Cabrera
OF- G. Jenkins
UTIL- M. Bradley
UTIL- S. Finley

I'm now in the process of trying to trade Steve Finley because I'm not too high on him. I have asked for Griffey in return for him so far (would like to get a HR hitter for him).